• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| AFGAF 2020 Re-Issue

SafeOrAlone

Banned
What's the coolest Fett figure for someone who likes accessories and dislikes visible joints, for under $100?

Last edited:

Flintty

What's the coolest Fett figure for someone who likes accessories and dislikes visible joints, for under $100?

Depends what you want from the figure really. If you want to be able to pose it, joints are unavoidable and you’re looking at statue territory.

If you can handle joints and want something cheap in 6” scale, the Black Series deluxe is up for order for $30 and is a good figure.

wHiHYxP.jpg

I think the gold standard for a 6” scale Boba Fett is Mafex though, but you’ll pay a premium for that.

EL0eg4B.jpg

If you want poseability, looks and no visible joints then Hot Toys (12” scale) would be perfect but that’s well over your budget.

vItDFxE.jpg

Edit: I just realised the Hot Toys picture is quarter scale - that’s about 1.5 foot tall and will cost a bomb - sorry 😂 It’s fucking glorious though.

Last edited:

Flintty

I completed the OG Power Rangers team and found you can combine their weapons just like in the show.

tfCRyop.jpg

nsPKAjf.jpg

Aside from the Green Ranger (couldn’t resist!) that’s the line done for me now.

kunonabi

Love the Starship Troopers bug!

the Sapce Invader is funky as hell too 👍🏻

Yeah, The Invader is simple but really appealing anyway.

My only gripe with the bug is that he isn't in scale for a potential Trooper figma. I suppose I should break down and buy some of the shmup figmas to go with it.

sol_bad

Very noice.
I have been tempted by Super7 TMNT and Thundercats lines but the NECA TMNT line has enough figures as it is. I can't go getting myself into to much debt.
:(

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Cool thread. I've been amazed at all the retro toys re-released lately. You know they're targeting us and not kids of today for sure. Have you guys seen the new Micro Machines? They look like shit.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Cool thread. I've been amazed at all the retro toys re-released lately. You know they're targeting us and not kids of today for sure. Have you guys seen the new Micro Machines? They look like shit.

I've seen the new Micro Machines and they do look like shit based on my memory of the original ones. I unfortunately don't have any of my old Micro Machines to actually look at. I can understand why they might look shit though, Hasbro aren't positive that they'll take off. If the line is successful I can imagine the quality improving.

I’ve seen some at Walmart looks like every toy now comes with chase variants saw micro machines with chase variant either gold or silver.

fatty

I wish m.u.s.c.l.e would bring back these and not their street fighter ,alien,wwe,etc.
osepfadvevg51.jpg

I used to love these as a child. I remember taking a thin square shaped block of wood, hammer a nail in each corner, and then add rubberbands to simulate a wrestling mat.

Then they would battle it out until only one remains! That was back when there was the WWF. Randy ‘Macho Man‘ Savage and Andre the Giant were huge.

I love sol_bad sol_bad Transformers collection. Will have to take pics of my humble collection and post them.

Last edited:

fatty

Just picked up these bad boys.

m6vgh2D.jpg
WmUPsye.jpg
0j8MR7D.jpg

These are great.

I've always had a love for Gen 1 Transformers. Growing up, my aunt and uncle bought me almost every single Transformer. They were unfortunately not able to have children and with me being the oldest nephew they really spoiled me. I was so grateful, and played the heck out of those things, but being young I did not keep them in pristine condition. I got older, got interested in other things (Beast Wars never really sparked any interest), and after Optimus Prime died in that abomination of a movie (aka scheme to sell a new line up of toys) I moved on.

Fast forward to a few years ago and I came across these that I picked up at a discount:

JcDe0jH.jpg

iH0Z3l4.jpg

That was enough of a nostalgia kick for me and life moved on. But then this past year I see some of the Gen 1 reissues come out and then the War for Cybertron series comes out. I see a deal online for Megatron and Soundwave for $20 each and I picked them up. After getting them in the mail and looking at them, I had to get more.

Fast forward to today and here we are:

Laxzkwp.jpg

7a5p8L1.jpg

OK, I need to cool down for a while now lol.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Just sold 28 boxed star wars power of the force figures from the mid to late 90s. I had all the figures loose already I've been slowly giving those to my son who is 5. But the boxed ones I figure just sell them. Kept one boxed ROTJ Jedi Luke (my favorite).

My son also has my original 80s transformers but those are pretty beat up

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Kept one boxed ROTJ Jedi Luke (my favorite).
That and the Dash Rendar figure were my favourites as a kid.

There's a lot of nostalgia for the Power of the Force line, so I'm surprised Hasbro hasn't put out vintage line dedicated to that like they're doing with the original Kenner Star Wars line

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
That and the Dash Rendar figure were my favourites as a kid.

There's a lot of nostalgia for the Power of the Force line, so I'm surprised Hasbro hasn't put out vintage line dedicated to that like they're doing with the original Kenner Star Wars line

Ya the mid 90s potf and the release of the films on vhs (prior to the special edition) was what got me into star wars after being a fan as a small child in the early 80s.

Also I loved shadows of the empire. I've read reviews saying the book isn't good but I just can't see past the nostalgia I love it lol

Last edited:

Flintty

Just sold 28 boxed star wars power of the force figures from the mid to late 90s. I had all the figures loose already I've been slowly giving those to my son who is 5. But the boxed ones I figure just sell them. Kept one boxed ROTJ Jedi Luke (my favorite).

My son also has my original 80s transformers but those are pretty beat up
Must have been a few quids worth there! I wish I had all my old figures - I’ve no idea what happened to them.

Im currently in the process of packing to move house (we’re finally buying our own place, complete with a man cave for gaming and collectables!). The deliveries are still coming in though, but staying in the boxes for now. Looking forward to updating the thread with my new shit and hopefully new display shelves once I’m settled in!

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Must have been a few quids worth there! I wish I had all my old figures - I’ve no idea what happened to them.

Im currently in the process of packing to move house (we’re finally buying our own place, complete with a man cave for gaming and collectables!). The deliveries are still coming in though, but staying in the boxes for now. Looking forward to updating the thread with my new shit and hopefully new display shelves once I’m settled in!

Excellent cant wait to see the photos.

Figures didnt go for what I hoped, but Ive had them for so long I was just happy to get rid of them.

I still have a lot of boxed POTF vehicles and stuff at my parents, I need to get there to see what i can sell and what I can give to my son.

Last edited:

SpearFist

Oh, this thread exists. Here is my collection folks, Funksool GI joe and hotwheels cards still packed in a box as i dont place to display, maybe i should stick them to the wall.

5AJBku7.jpg
y0IRZcY.jpg
BNkeLGP.jpg
pAuIt9K.jpg
M2gOJ96.jpg
vks84oq.jpg
F6LvQ74.jpg
dHkGNT6.jpg
9bxbOBg.jpg
a5bIByj.jpg
xfmMcWr.jpg
evkIJbQ.jpg
xjD2fO0.jpg
5cfKU2d.jpg
wZG9Bse.jpg
cCiyEHe.jpg

SirTerry-T

I'm an old bugger but I still have these two chaps watching over me since my childhood, amongst all my other geeky bits of plastic :)
Ki2kfLF.jpg

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Can anyone help me remember an action figure I saw advertised by a BleedingCool article last year?

It was a pretty detailed, poseable figure of an original concept - not based on a known i.p. - which seems pretty rare actually.
I want to say his name was "Dr. Death" but and I know that wasn't it. He looked like a mix of noir & superhero. Sort of pulpy. Ring any bells?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
After a headache inducing shipping process, these finally arrived. Ordered two because I'm a sucker for nostalgia and I have so many fond memories of the original Spawn line, so I'll be keeping one sealed and the other on display.

Xt3NjPG.jpg

sol_bad

Hasbro announced their next Haslab creations for Marvel and Star Wars.

Marvel have Galactus.
ilsqxim.jpg

And Star Wars have a Black Series Rancor, no pictures yet.

And if you like Disney related toys, McFarlane announced a new line.
ZgcHaQJ.jpg
yRQxb53.jpg
7cTLfxG.jpg
gaR6V5M.jpg

sol_bad

NECA announced a few things. Of interest to me are:

Halloween 2 Michael Myers and Dr Loomis 2 pack announced.
vqXnf9L.jpg

Gargoyles Demona announced.
PRAUzqp.jpg

TMNT movie Casey Jones announced, now with a face.
I1e2QpK.jpg

TMNT cartoon Dirtbag and Groundchuck 2 pack announced.
R0IR9ac.jpg

TMNT cartoon Wingnut and Screwloose 2 pack announced.
jeDD1cv.jpg

They also teased a re-release of Tokka and Rahzar. Thank fuck!!!
HRZzuHN.jpg

This is really impressive. Are there like $5 statues that people practice on before doing figures like this? I assume it is an expensive statue/figure, it looks it.
not sure, probably are some cheaper versions.

I'm currently thinking of using clay to create models.

Idea is make models physically and import them into computer like Hironobu Sakaguchi did for his latest game Fantasian(backgrounds are imported from real world)

I don't know if it is possible, but in theory photogrammetry could allow you to import clay human model into pc to rig it. This would be like VR sculpting in a sense, without the goggles. Not sure it's feasible yet though, but theoretically it should be. Worse case need a few years of DNN photogrammetry research to build good enough photogrammetry software that allows for easy import to blender or other modelling software.

catvonpee

I wanted to show you guys this because I am very excited for it. They just deducted the deposit from my account so I assume my pre-order is secured.

I own the old 1/6 scale Evil Dead 2 Ash Williams by Sideshow, so I am interested to see how much of an upgrade this one will be. Seems like they nailed the facial likeness a little better on this one over the old one. And the Henrietta in the diorama on the luxury version is so cool. I suppose I can sell the old one on ebay if I like the new one better, or I might kitbash the two bodies and do a Deadite Ash and a Hero Ash.

Last edited:

catvonpee

I've not heard of Asmus Toys but that looks pretty damn noice. Are they a subdivision of Sideshow?
I think in this case they might be working in collaboration with Sideshow or Sideshow is a reseller. I hadn't heard of them either. But this figure is a lot like the one they did from a few years ago.

I follow an account called su_works on Twitter is how I found out about this. I'm glad I didn't miss out and had to pay scalpers prices.

Top Bottom