• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard Made $1.2 Billion From Microtransactions In Just Three Months

Bullet Club

Activision Blizzard Made $1.2 Billion From Microtransactions In Just Three Months

Call of Duty microtransaction sales are four times higher this year compared to last year.

Activision Blizzard has reported new financial numbers for the July-September period, and it was a gigantic quarter for the gaming publisher. One section of the company's business that did particularly well was microtransactions. For the three-month period, Activision Blizzard made $1.2 billion from microtransactions, which are called "in-game net bookings." This is a dramatic 69 percent improvement over the same period last year, when Activision Blizzard made $709 million from in-game net bookings.

Microtransactions are very big business for Activision Blizzard. For the latest reporting period, Activision Blizzard made $1.95 billion in revenue from all of its business combined, so the $1.2 billion figure from microtransactions represents more than half of the company's total revenue.

Activision's Call of Duty franchise was a bright spot for microtransactions. Microtransaction sales from Modern Warfare and the battle royale game Warzone were four times higher than the same period last year. Growth was always expected, with far more players jumping into Call of Duty than usual this year

Additionally, Activision reported that Modern Warfare's first-year sales are the highest in Call of Duty history, and two-thirds of sales came digitally.

Activision Blizzard also owns King, the makers of Candy Crush. Microtransaction revenue from King's games grew year-over-year, but a specific number was not divulged.

You can read the full report here at Activision Blizzard's website.

Source: Gamespot

9Ie7.gif

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Gacha bad! Yearly game cosmetics good! Me shoot things! Fun!

Bolivar687

Banned
Ace said that as mtx become more important to CoD, we may eventually get to a point where it makes sense to keep coD going for an extra year and to give the other dev team extra time.

MW really hit out of the park on so many levels, going back to the classic map control and situational awareness, abandoning crates for a battle pass, battle Royale, 2v2, 32v32.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Gamers love their MTX. No matter how much they bitch and whine about it on the internet. Companies and devs know it.
Shows how out of touch with reality this forum is.

The overwhelming majority of people that play and buy videos games have by problem with micro transactions, and in fact they like them.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good job gamers. I thought gamers hated corporate profiteering.

Here's what the difference is.

Walmart. Sells $1.2 billion of merchandise. Profit on sale of goods. Probably about 30%.

Activision. Sells $1.2 billion of microtrans digital downloads. Profit on digital transfers. Probably about 96%. If it excludes console marketplace 30% fees, then probably 66%.

Last edited:
Noticed that in Overwatch, the default "open loot box" jumps to Legendary Loot Boxes first just to make SURE you know they exist.

Thanks, Activision. Thanks for all you do.

Activision is such a scummy company. They aggressively milk their franchises until people are fatigued. Then, they discard them like trash. I almost hate them as much as EA at this point.

Microtransactions in cod this year are ace , the way they should be, nothing p2w, just skins and extremely expensive 20ish dollars ones at that since there are no loot boxes which is a good thing, there's also a 10 dollar battleapass if you want to grind ur way to a handful of good skins every seasons

hemo memo

Gold Member
I’ve never spend money on MTX in my life and i’ll never do. But but but “Support the dev”??!!! I do that by playing the fucking game and that’s enough support and I’m not going to encourage this fucking awful practice. You want my money then make expansions and meaningful enjoyable content. Limited whatever skin or weapon and this awful addiction tactics then fuck right off.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
I don't want to hear again ANY justification for a 70$ price tag for Next Gen games. The Industry figured it out long time ago...

Reactions: B23
This is what happens when you discount your games to suck in a user base. How many people buy CoD on sale during the holidays? They take a cut on the disc sales for DLC and MTX. It’s the Walmart strategy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Noticed that in Overwatch, the default "open loot box" jumps to Legendary Loot Boxes first just to make SURE you know they exist.

Thanks, Activision. Thanks for all you do.
I liked how In old CODs where there would be 2-3 map packs, you'd be tossed into the rotation of all map packs even if you dont own any.

So when they pop up, you either leave and find a standard map lobby or you can download the map pack right there for $10-15.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Not at all surprising ... MTX aren’t exactly bad if done right, and I completely understand why it’s needed in FTP games.

Just look at Call of Duty Mobile, the motherload of MTX’s but they update regularly and give free stuff away too.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Thats why im putting off purchasing a PS5 until next year, those fuckers are looking me to spend £70 on a next gen game whilst the cunts rake in billions and work their employees to death... they can go fuck themselves

ZywyPL

Banned
No wonder. Paying a dollar or two every now and then vs whole 60-80$ at once doesn't hurt your wallet as much. Spending a few bucks on a skin, item, map, weapon, character, vehicle etc., to your favourite game that you play on a daily basis, vs paying 60-80$ for a work-in-progress, people are just voting with their wallets here, and they are voting correctly if you ask me. MTX, just as everything else are awesome if only done right and priced correctly, there's no reason to blindly hate it "just because". People love the game, they want to personalize their experience, they spend funny amount of cash on it, the game's balance is intact, the company earns billions, everyone is happy, what's there not to like?

Meanwhile people who want fun, single player, mtx-free campaign experiences are complaining games will be 70 dollars next-gen. Why placate people who can't spend an extra 10 dollars when you can aim for a market that will spend hundreds of dollars on stupid cosmetic bs for one game?

Thats why im putting off purchasing a PS5 until next year, those fuckers are looking me to spend £70 on a next gen game whilst the cunts rake in billions and work their employees to death... they can go fuck themselves

That's why I switched to xbox and gamepass.

Bogey

Banned
Not surprising coming from a company that is about to sell a World of Warcraft addon for around $40-80, which requires a 15$ per month subscription, and is filled to the absolute brim with further MTX, blizzard-endorsed gold buying, and mid-double digit price tags for even basic customer service requests.

The only surprising part is that players don't give 'em the finger for that shit.

Last edited:

Sybrix

As long as its cosmetic only i dont give a shit.

Ive played around 100+ hours of COD Warzone and paid zero $$$$ for it.

If other gamers want to pay for my game, thats ok with me :)

Top Bottom