• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard Shareholders Ask Bobby Kotick to Resign

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The shareholders (with a total of 4.8 million shares), led by the Strategic Organizing Center Investment Group, also called for the resignation of the board's two longest serving directors, Robert Morgado and Brian Kelly, serving in that capacity since 1997 and 1995, respectively.

In the letter addressed to the board, the shareholders claimed that should their resignation demands be ignored – and Kotick, Morgado and Kelly do not step down by December 31st – they would choose to not vote for the reelection of the current board of directors at the annual shareholders meeting held in June, and that they would urge other shareholders to do the same.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
raw

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think activision has something like 800 million shares outstanding, 4.8 million is small potatoes, bobby kotick owns nearly that many by himself
Around a 1/2 percent stakeholder. No power whatsoever, but it could spread.

MrA

Banned
Around a 1/2 percent stakeholder. No power whatsoever, but it could spread.
that's true, if he's guilty it'd be nice to see him go away- but still, I'm waiting for more evidence whether or not I like the guy's business tactics.

yurinka

The shareholders (with a total of 4.8 million shares), led by the Strategic Organizing Center Investment Group, also called for the resignation of the board's two longest serving directors, Robert Morgado and Brian Kelly, serving in that capacity since 1997 and 1995, respectively.

In the letter addressed to the board, the shareholders claimed that should their resignation demands be ignored – and Kotick, Morgado and Kelly do not step down by December 31st – they would choose to not vote for the reelection of the current board of directors at the annual shareholders meeting held in June, and that they would urge other shareholders to do the same.
Well, they like 0.5% of the Activision Blizzard shares. Which means their voting and claims means basically nothing.

Hugare

Dont know if the acusations are false or not, but the guy seems to be an ass.

And he is filthy rich. If he retires, he'll still have lots and lots of money. Maybe it will also be the best for him.

So he'll definitely leave

wipeout364

Good luck with that, maybe if they had 30% of the shares or the stock was tanking. PR speak at its worst.

That said Bobby Kotick’s extreme focus on profits while great for Activision is not good for the industry, they have a ton of cash and should be using some to develop games outside of COD. They should be developing one or two new IP a year. From that perspective, I think Kotick leaving might be good for the industry and Activision

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
If he offended women as much as he damaged the video game industry/Blizzard, poor ladies....

nush

Just more time for Bobby on the green while he keeps raking in the bucks. It's all hollow.

clem84

Gold Member
From someone on the outside who knows next to nothing about the ongoings at Activision, it seems the guy did a good job as CEO. If the share holders want a decent return on investment, maybe they should leave him there. It just seems like they have different priorities.

Kenpachii

Big chance if he leaves blizzard is going down in flames with it as investors will pull out instantly and its over.

I give blizzard 5 more years before its gone.

At this point blizzard needs to die, and be reborn again. However we all know there ip's will be for grabs and shitty company's like sony/microsoft/google will buy them up and grind them through the grinder like its nothing.

Last edited:

dezzy8

It’s going to go to shit if he leaves. I wouldn’t leave if I was him. Dude basically built that company from the mud. I’d take everyone to war before I leave.
And if he leaves I personally think it’s the death of activision.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
From someone on the outside who knows next to nothing about the ongoings at Activision, it seems the guy did a good job as CEO. If the share holders want a decent return on investment, maybe they should leave him there. It just seems like they have different priorities.

He didn't though he added nothing. Call of duty existed without him. He is the reason theres a COD every year and to me thats what has been plaguing the franchise. On top of firing people and getting a 140m bonus when 800+ people lost their jobs. ANd on top of restructuring pushing Vicarious visions to be a Diablo/Cod studio. Same with Toys4Bob.

He was lucky to make decisions on hot products at a time where there was no competition. Like with Guitar hero/Rockband. Then they sucked that well dry and the whole teams disbanded.

He's like any other CEO who knows nothing on video games. ANyone can make a game and then base their business off that one game. EA does the same with Madden.
Not hard to do, nor is there any risk. You can make money and still be fresh/creative. Blizzard use to be like that before Activision slowly changed the culture over there. Then they started making games with gross grinds or gross MTX'S like Hearthstone, that game was loved by everyone especially Magic players. Your money investment use to be to have this awesome deck, but then they made your deck and money you spend worthless once they updated metrics of the game to get more money out of monthly users.

Thats why people who originally made the game and ran it left.
Same with a lot of the top talent in Diablo they left with original Blizzard creators who started up their own company. Kotick and go run another business he would be great in the fast food market. He came from Vegas, used Vegas money to buy shares on Activision on the low when the company was on the verge of bankruptcy. It's more of a string of luck that at the time games were still in development.

The guy adds nothing of value, other than he knows how in the easy dirty way to make money by any means. That means cutting down labor, cutting down projects that dont have a higher enough return. Seriously fuck him and people like him. He and others at EA, and the likes know nothing about video games and exploit the gamers instead of creating long term relationships with their customers like Blizzard use to do.
Which in tern would make you always profitable, maybe not in the way call of duty did, but you would be making money, and not in the red.

RavageX

He didn't though he added nothing. Call of duty existed without him. He is the reason theres a COD every year and to me thats what has been plaguing the franchise. On top of firing people and getting a 140m bonus when 800+ people lost their jobs. ANd on top of restructuring pushing Vicarious visions to be a Diablo/Cod studio. Same with Toys4Bob.

He was lucky to make decisions on hot products at a time where there was no competition. Like with Guitar hero/Rockband. Then they sucked that well dry and the whole teams disbanded.

He's like any other CEO who knows nothing on video games. ANyone can make a game and then base their business off that one game. EA does the same with Madden.
Not hard to do, nor is there any risk. You can make money and still be fresh/creative. Blizzard use to be like that before Activision slowly changed the culture over there. Then they started making games with gross grinds or gross MTX'S like Hearthstone, that game was loved by everyone especially Magic players. Your money investment use to be to have this awesome deck, but then they made your deck and money you spend worthless once they updated metrics of the game to get more money out of monthly users.

Same with a lot of the top talent in Diablo they left with original Blizzard creators who started up their own company. Kotick and go run another business he would be great in the fast food market. He came from Vegas, used Vegas money to buy shares on Activision on the low when the company was on the verge of bankruptcy. It's more of a string of luck that at the time games were still in development.

The guy adds nothing of value, other than he knows how in the easy dirty way to make money by any means. That means cutting down labor, cutting down projects that dont have a higher enough return. Seriously fuck him and people like him. He and others at EA, and the likes know nothing about video games and exploit the gamers instead of creating long term relationships with their customers like Blizzard use to do.
Which in tern would make you always profitable, maybe not in the way call of duty did, but you would be making money, and not in the red.
You say this, but it is ultimately about profit. I agree on them burning through series, running them into the ground....but all of the companies are doing that almost. Gaming is super casual these days, and you see ppl getting excited for the same damn COD, NBA, and Madden games year after year with micro transactions included.

I don't like the guy, but he made the right moves to turn that company around, thats what he was there to do and that isnt done by taking chances on lots of risky games that might sell, its sticking to what stays hot with gamers until sales say otherwise.

Papacheeks

Banned
You say this, but it is ultimately about profit. I agree on them burning through series, running them into the ground....but all of the companies are doing that almost. Gaming is super casual these days, and you see ppl getting excited for the same damn COD, NBA, and Madden games year after year with micro transactions included.

I don't like the guy, but he made the right moves to turn that company around, thats what he was there to do and that isnt done by taking chances on lots of risky games that might sell, its sticking to what stays hot with gamers until sales say otherwise.

I don't disagree as a business man he's smart. But I would argue when they merged with Blizzard there was no need to change the company culture and through this, that is why we have this shit happening. Blizzard was a totally different company before Activision.

Fbh

A small percentage of them want, and from what people have been saying it's the same people who have been critical of him for a while even before the accusations and lawsuit.

The only way I see more shareholders turning against him is if they become convinced the bad public image is affecting sales. Maybe with Vanguard under performing (even if it has nothing to do with this)

manfestival

Seems like a dumb move from a shareholder perspective. The guy makes them too much money. Not that I read the article but I suspect it is the same crowd that always complained about him anyways. Their voices just got amplified by the allegations.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
God, I wonder what next company will gladly drink Bobby's swill? He has a way of just slipping his bs to some other company. I don't honestly understand how any shareholder feels comfortable with this studio-killer.

The fact he keeps getting hired and placed in positions of importance... maybe he's some important person's nephew or bastard. It sure beats me.

Ozzie666

If what I am reading is true, or if Microsoft and Sony were to make a stand. I guess removing Activision games from their stores? I am not sure if they would actually follow through with this or if it could result in legal action from Activision? But this is being discussed on various sites, so not sure how possible it is. Of course a lot of bravado being spoken could be just spin and PR, to distance themselves from Activision.

As much as I'd love to see it happen, it would also be dangerous, if companies could remove a company from their market place, even if only for a few days or weeks. Seems like too much power. This isn't a Cyberpunk situation or poor software, this is behavioral. It's fascinating to watch honestly, really curious if nothing changes and Bobby continues to rake in the cash.

Getting rid of Bobby is going to cost a pretty penny, especially after he took a reduction in pay. I can't imagine him walking away without a fight or a record pay day. He could end up being the face of the video game #meetoo movement. He killed Blizzard, he might kill Activision entirely.

Wildebeest

Top comment from the WSJ article. I'll just leave this here.

1CRTRFD.png
This guy is naive. HR Departments are there to protect the company, always, in every case. They are not there to be your friend or tuck you in at night. This is why companies pay for HR Departments and fire people who try to start unions.

Exoil

You should apply for the position, you seem to have a profound understanding of how to be a successful CEO unlike Bobby Kotick.

Top Bottom