• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision deal approved (preliminary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Microsoft will no longer control cloud gaming rights for Activision’s content, so would not be in a position to limit access to Activision’s key content to its own cloud gaming service or to withhold those games from rivals
Well, unless they maybe charged exorbitant amounts to port games to rival operating systems that competitors may wish to use :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

So, at a quick glance, COD, Overwatch and WoW can't become exclusive, unless Ubisoft decides differently?

Next-up: MS takes over Ubisoft?

Is that how to read it?

Edit:

Lol I want to hear Asmongold's reaction

Last edited:

Little Mac

its over GIF

StueyDuck

it was always gonna happen, 70bil, there is no way a few palms didn't get greased, whats a couple of extra few 100 mil to make sure no one stops you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Looks like the cloud deal is 15yrs.
Kind of odd ms would do this considering how much thry value cloud in the past, maybe they are secretly buying ubisoft a year from now.......

Last edited:

Schmick

So, at a quick glance, COD, Overwatch and WoW can't become exclusive, unless Ubisoft decides differently?

Is that how to read it?

Edit:

Don't know about Overwatch or WoW with regards to native installs but MS have signed agreements with Nintendo and Sony to ensure that COD remains multi-platform for 10 years. After that who knows.

With regards to cloud streaming, Ubisoft will be given the stream rights for 15 years.

Schmick

So people were ragging on the CMA for "pointless" concerns about cloud gaming when the leaks showed that "cloud-hybrid" gaming was Microsoft's long term plan to grow and dominate the market?
Not the same as cloud streaming games. Cloud-hybrid suggests off loading compute power to the cloud.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't like this, but for me personally it won't make a difference. They have, what, COD and Diablo? The former of which they can't make exclusive for many years if ever. So eh.

Wildebeest

Not the same as cloud streaming games. Cloud-hybrid suggests off loading compute power to the cloud.
Seems like the most likely use would be the assets are all on the cloud and the client is enhanced to perform tasks like upscaling and motion interpolation. Otherwise, what is the point of it being cloud gaming.

Killjoy-NL

Don't know about Overwatch or WoW with regards to native installs but MS have signed agreements with Nintendo and Sony to ensure that COD remains multi-platform for 10 years. After that who knows.

With regards to cloud streaming, Ubisoft will be given the stream rights for 15 years.
I don't know too much about how all this works, but it doesn't seem like it's going to have much of an impact for the next 10-15 years then. Unless I'm missing something?

SJRB

Gold Member
What could go wrong?

If last week's leaks have proven anything it's that Phil and Microsoft have incredible acumen and knowledge about the gaming industry with a steady vision and grip on what's important. All these studios and IPs are definitely in great, caring hands at MS.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned

Is that how to read it?

Edit:

No
Ubisoft will get cloud-only rights for Activision Blizzard games in all markets outside of mainland Europe for 15 years indefinitely. So this covers every ABK game released from the day this deal closes for next 15 years and Ubisoft can keep cloud publishing rights for games released in that timeframe forever.
Microsoft keeps all publishing rights for physical, digital and subscription service for ABK games and all cloud rights in mainland Europe.

Basically. If Sony wants to include Call of Duty in PlayStation Plus, they need to ask Microsoft for permission. If they want cloud-only Call of Duty in PlayStation Plus, they need to ask Ubisoft, but they still need also to ask Microsoft because of mainland Europe. Same for every other company that wants cloud rights for ABK games.

If Microsoft wants to make Overwatch 3 or every other ABK game not-named Call of Duty exclusive, they can. But they need to release Call of Duty games on PlayStation and Nintendo for at least 10 years.

Last edited:
Stupid question, but what are the chances this years CoD comes to gamepass? Won’t preorder if I can get it free in a month or so

Killjoy-NL

No
Ubisoft will get cloud-only rights for Activision Blizzard games in all markets outside of mainland Europe for 15 years indefinitely. So this covers every ABK game released from the day this deal closes for next 15 years and Ubisoft can keep cloud publishing rights for games released in that timeframe forever.
Microsoft keeps all publishing rights for physical, digital and subscription service for ABK games and all cloud rights in mainland Europe.

Basically. If Sony wants to include Call of Duty in PlayStation Plus, they need to ask Microsoft for permission. If they want cloud-only Call of Duty in PlayStation, they need to ask Ubisoft, but they still need also to ask Microsoft because of mainland Europe. Same for every other company that wants cloud rights for ABK games.

If Microsoft wants to make Overwatch 3 or every other ABK game not-named Call of Duty exclusive, they can. But they need to release Call of Duty games on PlayStation and Nintendo for at least 10 years.
Ah ok. Thnx for clearing that up.

I don't think it'll ultimately matter too much in the long run, but I suppose it's a great catch for MS.

The downside is MS buying up everything left and right to be able to stay competitive, which is a bad thing, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom