• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision has confirmed a ‘full premium Call of Duty release’ is planned for 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member
modern-warfare-2-nn-1280x720.jpg

Activision has confirmed that it intends to deliver “the next full premium release” in the Call of Duty series in 2023.

The publisher announced the plans for the series as part of its third quarter financial results on Monday.

“Activision is looking forward to building on its current momentum in 2023, with plans for next year including the most robust Call of Duty live operations to date, the next full premium release in the blockbuster annual series, and even more engaging free-to-play experiences across platforms,” it said.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Wait so there won't be a new cod next year?

Weren't there rumors about this during the Ms Acti blizz acquisition?

Also, premium content? I bet its a bundle with a map pack wrapped with a season pass and some bonus shit for Warzone 2

Can't imagine it will be single player dlc without any online to it, would be a waste of money to make.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
They should just add years to the naming convention.

Call of Duty '23
Call of Duty '24
Etc..
Well they do play differently. Black Ops is a WWII shooter, Modern Warfare is in a more modern setting and Advanced Warfare is futuristic like Titanfall/Apex Legends. Calling them without those labels will be confusing.

MiguelItUp

Makes sense, not surprising at all. The name just prints money at this point.

But man, I wish they'd really lean harder into adding new things into them with each iteration. I mean, new gameplay elements, mechanics, etc. that keep it feeling fresh rather than "kinda same kinda different", lol.

Well they do play differently. Black Ops is a WWII shooter, Modern Warfare is in a more modern setting and Advanced Warfare is futuristic like Titanfall/Apex Legends. Calling them without those labels will be confusing.
Black Ops 1 and Cold War are Vietnam/Cold War era shooters, but also BO 2, 3 and 4 are futuristic shooters too.
World at War, WW2 and Vanguard are the World War 2 era shooters. It does get confusing, lol

Last edited:

Valt7786

Makes sense, not surprising at all. The name just prints money at this point.

But man, I wish they'd really lean harder into adding new things into them with each iteration. I mean, new gameplay elements, mechanics, etc. that keep it feeling fresh rather than "kinda same kinda different", lol.

Not to say CoD doesn't have the same but different feel, but they do tend to try and throw in some kinda new mechanic in but when they do the "community" gets up in arms 'cause they can't play the same way they've played for the last 20 games. Take MW 2 for example, because it's not all about jumpshotting and sprinting around with your SMG anymore, the amount of tears from the g-fuel babies was astronomical, even though the actual game is a million times better for it.

fermcr

Well, Sony are releasing a DLC as a full game in the next few days... why can't Activision release a DLC as a full game next year?

(Sorry... I had to go there. 🍻)

MiguelItUp

Not to say CoD doesn't have the same but different feel, but they do tend to try and throw in some kinda new mechanic in but when they do the "community" gets up in arms 'cause they can't play the same way they've played for the last 20 games. Take MW 2 for example, because it's not all about jumpshotting and sprinting around with your SMG anymore, the amount of tears from the g-fuel babies was astronomical, even though the actual game is a million times better for it.
True, I feel like they've done more with MW2 than the last few games honestly. I'd just love to continue to see that direction. I mean, MW2 sold very well, so it's proof it can be done. It needs that evolution to a degree.

Also, I loved seeing the flak from all of that, lmao. Love MW2 more than a lot of the more recent ones too, TBH.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
Except last year's COD was a piece of shit though right? From what I understand it didn't sell too well.
It didn't sell well in call of duty terms, but in general terms it sold extremely well. Only game that surpassed it was Elden Ring iirc. It still sold some 15 millions in less than a year.
It will no doubt. Each team gets 3 year's to make a each new title.

It seems like sledgehammer doesn't anymore, as they're the ones making this premium expansion to mw2. They failed to carve out their niche even though they had long term plans with vanguard. So 2024 will be black ops and then 2025 will be mw3. That's my guess based on this news.

PerfectDark

Banned
First I like the game.

I don't even know what premium edition is. I paid $100 on my series X. Also bought it on steam for $70. I like the game but expensive. If your wondering why I purchased it twice. I am a PC gamer but my kids play on xbox. They begged me to game share it. Every lobby was filled with M&K and was not fun so I got it on PC for me self. I know you can turn off crossplay in xbox settings but its annoying to switch on and off for other games.

Assaulty

Yeah, the game is way better for it..... Punishing moving around the map, rewarding sitting in a window half of the game with a scopeless sniper of which the aim assist will snap on the enemy for you.

I am not a big COD nut and I don't dislike MW2's multiplayer, but I think I've never played a COD where camping is rewarded MORE than in this years MW2. The insane TTK, heavy movement (seriously, people that think this is classic COD movement need to go and replay older titles) and some other mechanics make it so headglitching behind the same angle for minutes at a time is more viable than moving around the map. The game feels more like a tactical shooter than an arcade shooter at times.

Bernkastel

It seems like sledgehammer doesn't anymore, as they're the ones making this premium expansion to mw2. They failed to carve out their niche even though they had long term plans with vanguard. So 2024 will be black ops and then 2025 will be mw3. That's my guess based on this news.
Rumor has it that they are working on Advanced Warfare 2.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, the game is way better for it..... Punishing moving around the map, rewarding sitting in a window half of the game with a scopeless sniper of which the aim assist will snap on the enemy for you.

I am not a big COD nut and I don't dislike MW2's multiplayer, but I think I've never played a COD where camping is rewarded MORE than in this years MW2. The insane TTK, heavy movement (seriously, people that think this is classic COD movement need to go and replay older titles) and some other mechanics make it so headglitching behind the same angle for minutes at a time is more viable than moving around the map. The game feels more like a tactical shooter than an arcade shooter at times.
I played the beta and couldnt believe how long i would go without running into combat. Either the map design is awful or everyone was camping. This is by far the worst CoD mp ive played since Infinity warfare.

How about riding out and supporting this year's instalment first you morons? Make the 2022 buyers feel as though their purchase is worthwhile and not dead in the water in 6 months time?

NickFire

Moving around still pays off if that's your style. You just need to be smarter when doing it. Run from cover to cover, and get those sights up when taking corners.

Sorry not sorry - punishing the bunny hoppers and slide, slide, slide bros was one of the best things that could happen to this game.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Activision is the only one capable of making and maintaining these games in the way they say they would - see BF2042 and Halo Infinite - but MW2 is showing some seams. It has bugs and missing features and all that. They’ll smooth it all out in a few months but by then the lifespan of the game is half-over. It just feels like a waste.

And it’s also impossible to “build the momentum” when you have teams of such varying quality working on games set in all these different eras and all that. The reason why this one made $1B was because people loved MW2019 and stayed away from the last one which was Shithammer AND WW2 (whereas one of those is enough to keep me away).

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You're the one that said that quote that you probably pulled out of your ass.
That we were in a 2 year cycle and we were getting paid DLC next year? I pulled that out of my ass?

Its what the bigger leakers had said months ago, thought this was a given

I wasn't trying to act like I knew this before anyone else

Not sure where you are going with this in all honesty

Bernkastel

You think something like Advanced Warfare is same as a WW II shooter? People don't ignore Sledgehammer Games recent attempts at being a discount Treyarch and buy Infinity Ward's CODs just because it says "Modern Warfare" in the box.
Have not cared since AW, but I am pretty sure back in the 360 days OG Treyarch Black Ops series(World at War and Black Ops) were WW II setting and Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare was in a more modern setting. I guess Black Ops II was more in the modern setting but I don't remember much. And then came Sledgehammer Games with Advanced Warfare basically went full futuristic.

Bernkastel

Wasn’t the next one advanced warfare 2? Cuz I’m horny AF if true.
Yeah, Advanced Warfare 2 is rumored to be Sledgehammer Games next project. But the next one is Treyarch in 2024. 2023 is Part 2 of MW II.

Top Bottom