• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Isn’t Happy About Fortnite Creators Remaking Call Of Duty Maps

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As per a new tweet by popular Fortnite creator Mist Jawa, creators will not be able to recreate Call of Duty maps in Fortnite Creative 2.0 anymore. One of the most popular remakes done by Mist includes an iconic Shipment map, however, they have now removed all of their Call of Duty-inspired creations, including the likes of Modern Fortfare.

Additionally, all tweets and videos related to the map have also been deleted by the creator. As reported by creator Jake Lucky, this is a result of DMCA takedown by Activision, as the studio is working to get all of these maps removed due to copyright infringement.

While this might be disappointing news for many, it shouldn't really come as much of a surprise. Epic Games had previously announced and reiterated that it has a strict policy when it comes to copyright infringement. While it had earlier made it clear that creators cannot recreate previous Fortnite maps, apart from Chapter 1, it subsequently issued another statement clarifying that its policies extend to copyrighted material in general, and not solely Epic's intellectual property.

Notably, creators could be penalized even if the map wasn't even published and content was shared on social media. With penalties involving permanent bans as well, creators would not want to risk creating anything that could land them in trouble.

Epic's decision to share revenue from these maps with the creators is a double-edged sword, since it is a supporting initiative for the community, but opens the floodgates for these DMCA takedowns. What will be interesting to see is the outreach of Epic's policies. So far, we have seen blatant remakes being taken down, which was pretty much inevitable.

Wildebeest

First thing modders do is attention seeking via plagiarism and IP theft. What else do you expect them to do? Original, valuable content like Dota or Counter-Strike that the owner of the base game will just claim as their own?

Spyxos

Gold Member
They are afraid that Fortnite could replace Cod. However, rebuilding the maps 1 to 1 is not exactly creative.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
whats the matter bobby

giphy.gif

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Fortnite looks to be morphing into something really interesting.

Copying aside, I do like what I’m seeing.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am so surprised this happened. not.

1:1 copies of maps are obvious. I wonder if we will see more subtle likenesses get flagged.

Top Bottom