• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision making more money on PC than consoles and the gap is widening

Lasha

27 Million revenue or profit?
Because if it's 27 million revenue that would make PC and consoles almost tied.

The PC game market overall is around the same size as the entire console market in terms of revenue. It's a big market.

Fbh

The PC game market overall is around the same size as the entire console market in terms of revenue. It's a big market.

Yes I know.

I'm just saying if the difference between the PC and Console market is 27 million in revenue then it means they are almost evenly tied because 27 million in revenue is nothing for the numbers Activision pulls.
Modern Warfare 2 (reboot) made 1 billion in revenue in 10 days

Lasha

Yes I know.

I'm just saying if the difference between the PC and Console market is 27 million in revenue then it means they are almost evenly tied because 27 million in revenue is nothing for the numbers Activision pulls.
Modern Warfare 2 (reboot) made 1 billion in revenue in 10 days

The second paragraph of the article says it's revenue. Console and PC are usually close in terms of revenue. Console usually generates around 100m more revenue than PC annually. The gap is narrowing. Mobile remains far and away number one.

SNG32

Kids are now after pcs more than ever. Consoles are more and more for us older generation but thanks to twitch etc these kids think that pc is the only legit place to play these big games like apex, warzone etc.

Consoles still do well and will always do well bit there is deffo a shift to pc with younger ages than before.
Nah alot of them play on mobile devices, tablets and switch. Zoomers aren't really the desktop gaming pc's either.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Lol what a misleading thread, op u should be ashamed,
It’s misleading from PC gamer, OP just sharing the story with some minor commentary on the PC market death calls.

It is egregious from PC gamer to headline Activision when the story clearly spells out that it’s Blizzard that is making the difference, though there is a trend worth reporting.

Alesimage

Banned
Yeah I think everyone is experiencing growth on pc. Even Sony and Microsoft. Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer warned of growth slowing down on the console side of Xbox Game Pass last year,] but noted that the company was “seeing incredible growth on PC.” Microsoft said in October that PC Game Pass subscriptions had increased by 159 percent year over year.

Elog

It is a weird take in the OP. Activision has had very similar YoY revenue amounts from PC and Console since 2015. There has never been any major difference and also not now. When they have few new good launches - PC looks better (due to more recurring revenue there primarily due to WoW) and when they have a lot of good new releases console looks better. Outside of WoW - console is their clear winner between PC and console.

If there is one conclusion to be drawn from the Activision revenue line over the last 5-10 years, it is that mobile is their dominating segment in USD, growth and margin.

yazenov

It is a weird take in the OP. Activision has had very similar YoY revenue amounts from PC and Console since 2015. There has never been any major difference and also not now. When they have few new good launches - PC looks better (due to more recurring revenue there primarily due to WoW) and when they have a lot of good new releases console looks better. Outside of WoW - console is their clear winner between PC and console.

If there is one conclusion to be drawn from the Activision revenue line over the last 5-10 years, it is that mobile is their dominating segment in USD, growth and margin.

Blizzard is currently the largest factor in the PC's growth within Activision. While Blizzard games are only making about half as much as Call of Duty, 72% of that revenue is on PC and just 8% is on console. Call of Duty's revenue is more evenly split: 59% console, 26% PC, and 15% mobile

Skifi28

I guess my fellow PC gamers just love burning cash on cosmetics.
Jq1OvmF.gif

Kokoloko85

All I know, is whenever I’m playing COD multiplayer cross platform on PC, it’s usually 85% PlayStation, 10% Xbox, and 5% PC players in each match
Damn wouldnt the PC players kill the console players though? Mouse speeds and such?

I think this is the reason Xbox and its media shills made PS look evil when PS didnt want Cross platform playing.They needed those PS players for match making lol

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Damn wouldnt the PC players kill the console players though? Mouse speeds and such?

I think this is the reason Xbox and its media shills made PS look evil when PS didnt want Cross platform playing.They needed those PS players for match making lol
Not with that pathetic semi aimbot controllers get.

Now imagine mobile numbers now and in the future.

Also I recall Capcom also either wanted or aimed at 50% of all revenue coming from PC.

Famipan

This is probably because I recently bought Diablo on GOG for 7 USD and got really hooked on it for a while. But having to click on the mouse instead of holding it down gets old fast. There’s a fan made remaster patch but frankly I don’t have the knowledge to get to installing it.

It amazes me that they haven’t get down to business and remaster their best games Diablo 1, StarCraft, Warcraft and release consoles friendly remakes of them. Would need some workarounds for controller but it could be possible with many tweaks. Such huge potential!

Same with a sequel/reboot of Blackhawk/Blackthorne - it’s a great console friendly game! And that Vikings game too!

The game ideas were good in the beginning, not the sequels. So better try to re-package the good old stuff to modern players!

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It’s misleading from PC gamer, OP just sharing the story with some minor commentary on the PC market death calls.

It is egregious from PC gamer to headline Activision when the story clearly spells out that it’s Blizzard that is making the difference, though there is a trend worth reporting.
lol, they are the same company.. "Activision" is just short for "Activision Blizzard" and has been for ages... just read the subtitle of the article and they call it out as "Activision Blizzard."

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
The headline should say Activision Blizzard which is the parent company of Activision.

Top Bottom