• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision wants to patent unique AI-generated music for multiplayer games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As spotted by Exputer, the patent is titled ‘Systems and methods for dynamically generating and modulating music based on gaming events, player profiles and/or player reactions’.

According to the patent’s description, the idea is that players – particularly in multiplayer games – will be able to get their own unique soundtracks based on their current circumstances.

Rather than a standard dynamic soundtrack, which chooses from a series of different pre-recorded music tracks based on the situation, Activision’s new idea would use AI to generate entirely new music.

“While many features of video games have become highly customizable, musical elements tend to be standardized across all players,” the patent explains.

“For example, a player can customize the aesthetic look of his or her avatar or customize team members in a multiplayer game but, conventionally, is not able to customize musical elements for different gaming events.

“Some video games allow for the replacement of a soundtrack of a game with a player’s own music, but such soundtrack replacement features do not provide for the dynamic change or modification of musical elements specific to a player and based on the actual gameplay.”

The patent explains that the game could take into account a number of factors, such as the player’s current skill level, how well they’re playing, how they move in the game and their experience, and use AI to create bespoke accompanying audio.

“Music and audio are areas of potential player customization that may be automated and personalized so that each individual player has a unique experience,” the patent says.

“Accordingly, there is need for systems and methods that generate and modulate music unique to individual players, e.g. specific to a level of the player’s skill and/or experience, and based on one or more of gaming event(s) that a player encounters, the player’s reaction(s), the player’s response(s), the player’s input(s) and/or the player’s movement(s) during the gaming events.

“There is also a need for systems and methods that correlate generated and modulated music to the player’s success or failure during gameplay and that use the correlation to improve the player’s performance in future gameplay.

“By automating the process of what kind of music is being played and how the music is modulated, the video game may become more immersive, become more enjoyable and provide players with a wide variety of customizable features in order to enhance the overall user experience.”

Arachnid

I'm up for AI taking over in a lot of video game development...

But something as emotional and personalized as music? IMO music usually has to blaze new ground to feel special or stand out. The best pieces are like things you've never been exposed to. I don't see an AI being able to think so abstractly.

That or I'm underestimating our future robot overlords.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Average quality of game soundtrack created in 1995:

Average quality of game soundtrack that will be created in 2024 by AI:

jigglet

Banned
Not sure why these patents are always threadworthy. 1% of them will ever come to fruition and even then they’ll be a small fragment of the original vision.

Griffon

I'm up for AI taking over in a lot of video game development...

But something as emotional and personalized as music? IMO music usually has to blaze new ground to feel special or stand out. The best pieces are like things you've never been exposed to. I don't see an AI being able to think so abstractly.

That or I'm underestimating our future robot overlords.
I have a feeling AI for music is gonna get good very soon very fast.

It was still rough a few years ago, but pretty promising nonetheless, a breakthrough is bound to happen.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Holy fuck

I stand corrected. That was a banger. It didn't really tread new ground, but it emulated old so good it's better than some of his older songs. Wild.

I have a feeling AI for music is gonna get good very soon very fast.

It was still rough a few years ago, but pretty promising nonetheless, a breakthrough is bound to happen.

This has so much potential for future music generation, it's insane. It's still all emulation with nothing new, but I guess you don't need to be completely new to be good if that nirvana AI song is anything to go off of.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Game soundtracks keep games alive it’s funny they want players to customize everything.

Reactions: Dis
They did an experiment a few years back with 3 classical tracks 1 original, 2 ai generated, and the audience had to pick which was AI generated. The vast majority went for the human creation.

AI is good for making music. I say bring it on.

Top Bottom