• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actraiser Renaissance |OT| The Lord of Light Returns to Switch, Steam, PS4, iOS, and Android

Pejo

So I just spent a few hours with it, completely cleared Fillmore.

It's actually....pretty great!

The graphics are fucking terrible, especially the sidescroller parts, but it controls pretty well, and there are added mechanics to both the overworld "god sim" part as well as the side scroller parts. The level design for the 2nd act of Fillmore was surprisingly good.

The new parts for the sim aspect are basically a tower defense mode, where you control a "hero" character and you can put blockades and towers to stall/kill other enemies while your hero is fucking up the tougher monsters.

There's now an overarching story besides "You're a god" as well. Nothing to write home about, but it's a nice little addition.

Overall, if you can look past the art and graphics, it's definitely worth a buy if you liked the original.

Also, I played on PC, and was getting screen tearing at 60FPS with Vsync on, so I just bumped the FPS limit up to 120 and it fixed it. You can actually remove the FPS limit though, if you want. I feel like this game could run on a piece of toast that somebody once had inside a toaster.

Remastered soundtrack is great too.

I'm actually pleasantly fucking surprised for once. If someone mods some better sprites in, it could be nearly a perfect remaster.

The graphics are fucking terrible, especially the sidescroller parts, but it controls pretty well, and there are added mechanics to both the overworld "god sim" part as well as the side scroller parts. The level design for the 2nd act of Fillmore was surprisingly good.

The new parts for the sim aspect are basically a tower defense mode, where you control a "hero" character and you can put blockades and towers to stall/kill other enemies while your hero is fucking up the tougher monsters.

There's now an overarching story besides "You're a god" as well. Nothing to write home about, but it's a nice little addition.

Overall, if you can look past the art and graphics, it's definitely worth a buy if you liked the original.

Also, I played on PC, and was getting screen tearing at 60FPS with Vsync on, so I just bumped the FPS limit up to 120 and it fixed it. You can actually remove the FPS limit though, if you want. I feel like this game could run on a piece of toast that somebody once had inside a toaster.

I'm actually pleasantly fucking surprised for once. If someone mods some better sprites in, it could be nearly a perfect remaster.
I'll probably get it tomorrow. Just need to hear if performance is different between PS4 and Switch. Id prefer Switch.

Pejo

I'll probably get it tomorrow. Just need to hear if performance is different between PS4 and Switch. Id prefer Switch.
If it plays at 60FPS (and I'd be surprised if it doesn't), then Switch should be fine. It's ugly as sin anyways, so framerate is the real question there. It's going to be amazing on the Deck most likely.

Hoddi

I'm very happy to hear that. The music in this game was always a much bigger thing for me than the graphics. Those were still quite good for the SNES but that soundtrack was fucking godly.

Thaedolus

Actually really digging it so far. The gameplay tweaks are a nice addition but don’t take away from the feel of the original at all. The soundtrack is phenomenal, much better than the live orchestrated OST from back. It’s not just 1:1 orchestrations of the SNES tunes, lots of arrangement and original stuff. Well done. Graphics are meh, feels like a mobile game but not too distracting.

Overall I’m rather impressed

Barakov

Now, it’s back! Actraiser Renaissance, a full, stunning remaster of the game has been released today on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PC and mobile devices. As in the original, this release will see you simultaneously taking down the creatures of darkness while building, developing and protecting your own safe haven of civilisation.

$29.99 ($19.99 mobile)

53bmjJq.gif

CGiRanger

Banned
Original Actraiser didn't have the best Sprite-work and graphics since it was at the beginning of the SNES life cycle. So these graphics while meh aren't a dealbreaker.

Now if they do this with Actraiser II's art (which sadly they probably would if it got that far), then that will be a real shame because Act II's sprite art style is truly remarkable and these "modern" visuals would destroy it.

What made the feel of Act II's aesthetic work is that, in contrast to Act I which is more bright and hopeful (since you are an angel tasked with rebuilding the world), Act II's world is falling into ruin and you're just trying to salvage it from being totally overrun with blights and sins. That was reflected in the artwork which was more dark, drab and depressing in places like the sunken city, barren wasteland, and torture prison.

76297-actraiser-2-snes-screenshot-the-foliage-is-just-beautiful.png
76300-actraiser-2-snes-screenshot-the-graphics-are-among-the-best.png

101229-actraiser-2-snes-screenshot-devote-a-city-underwater-whose.png
101231-actraiser-2-snes-screenshot-gratis-a-prison.png

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

sad_face

I'll wait for a sale. I probably would have impulse purchased at $19.99.

CamHostage

FYI, the developer on Actraiser Renaissance is Sonic Powered Co. Ltd.

Sonic Powered is a veteran studio, but they usually make a lot of train and airport sims, (also a AtField golf game on PSP, not much else I could imagine anybody imported,) they have some mobile games that also probably won't ring any bells (Phantasy Guardians?)

So, maybe an unlikely choice for Actraiser (unless they have some other uncredited work worth noting?), but it seems Square Enix kind of Trials-of-Mana'ed this as sort of a good idea of classic fanservice squeezed into a mobile budget. I haven't played it yet so hopefully it shakes out once you're controlling it.

Last edited:

Pejo

Original Actraiser didn't have the best Sprite-work and graphics since it was at the beginning of the SNES life cycle. So these graphics while meh aren't a dealbreaker.

Now if they do this with Actraiser II's art (which sadly they probably would if it got that far), then that will be a real shame because Act II's sprite art style is truly remarkable and these "modern" visuals would destroy it.

What made the feel of Act II's aesthetic work is that, in contrast to Act I which is more bright and hopeful (since you are an angel tasked with rebuilding the world), Act II's world is falling into ruin and you're just trying to salvage it from being totally overrun with blights and sins. That was reflected in the artwork which was more dark, drab and depressing in places like the sunken city, barren wasteland, and torture prison.

76297-actraiser-2-snes-screenshot-the-foliage-is-just-beautiful.png
76300-actraiser-2-snes-screenshot-the-graphics-are-among-the-best.png

101229-actraiser-2-snes-screenshot-devote-a-city-underwater-whose.png
101231-actraiser-2-snes-screenshot-gratis-a-prison.png
Shame that it got rid of the god sim part. It's two halves of the whole that really made the first one special. Actraiser 2 really was a looker though.

carlosrox

Banned
The graphics are indeed a shame, not sure why the hell they'd go this route with a good-will project that was obviously well done otherwise.

The music is fantastic and they added a lot to the gameplay so why make this utterly bizarre choice with the visuals?

Whatever, I'm basically playing Actraiser 3 here so I am happy as fuck this exists.

Next time they need to do a better job with the visuals though.

What's Xbox gotta do to keep on SE's radar?

Not in love with the remastered visual style, but its liveable. (Wish it had graphic fallback mode like R-Type.) Glad to have Actraiser back.
I'm thinking they weren't offered a GamePass deal, so it's probably not worthwhile to put games on the platform otherwise, as players have publicly said, if a game isn't on GP, they won't bother or, at least, wait to see if it goes to GP eventually.

RAIDEN1

The graphics are indeed a shame, not sure why the hell they'd go this route with a good-will project that was obviously well done otherwise.

The music is fantastic and they added a lot to the gameplay so why make this utterly bizarre choice with the visuals?

Whatever, I'm basically playing Actraiser 3 here so I am happy as fuck this exists.

Next time they need to do a better job with the visuals though.
Well there wouldn't be a next time as the next one in line is Act 2 and that game it has been widely said is nowhere near as good as the first, which probably put paid to a part 3 ever happening

Kimahri

Banned
So... does this mean that Final Fantasy IX remake is real? Oh boy... if they butcher my baby's visuals like they did ActRaiser I'm going to have a piece of my heart forever broken.

Metnut

Always loved Actraiser and picked it up last night. Have to say… it’s really good! They really expanded things and the new additions to the city building portion are substantial. Really love the remastered soundtrack too. Action parts are a bit janky, but it reminds me of SNES and don’t mind it in a game like this.

If you’re on the fence.. go for it

Teslerum

I mean, that's not completely wrong, but ActRaiser had plenty of dark art too. Especially the japanese manual's backstory.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Nice impressions Pejo Pejo Doing God's work (pun not initially intended) <3

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Played it a bit in Switch last night and iOS this morning (no controller).
So far it’s very competent and outside of the graphics I feel it’s a faithful reproduction.

Yesterday was a killer day for Switch. Picked up this, Castlevania, and D2 (15th dip). They all play great!

JackMcGunns

Was about to ask if they added anything or if it's just a literal remake of the OG. Would be nice if they added quests or other parts of the story not found in the OG, I've replayed this game so many times, you don't even know lol

Pejo

Was about to ask if they added anything or if it's just a literal remake of the OG. Would be nice if they added quests or other parts of the story not found in the OG, I've replayed this game so many times, you don't even know lol
Yea there actually are quests added to the god sim part. It's mostly just stuff you have to do anyways, but now you get rewards for doing them. Most of the rewards are just materials to level up your "hero" of the area. Also, instead of just building a path to the enemy dens, you now have a mini-sidescroller stage to kill a big bubble. It only takes a minute or two, but it's more interactive than watching your followers make a spirit bomb and nuke it.

The side-scroller additions are a bigger moveset, a backdash (honestly, I can't remember if the original had it or not), and collectibles that permanently buff your character that are hidden throughout the stage, which encourages exploration. After the first stage, you actually unlock a mechanic that the more enemies you kill, the stronger your attacks get. Kinda gives incentive to go off the beaten path and actually engage enemies instead of just rushing by them.

The level design seems pretty different too, but better, and actually fits pretty well.

Andyliini

I'm interested in this, but the hope of a physical release down the line is keeping me from purchase. Not sure if one comes outside of Asia though, I don't think Square-Enix have been supporting limited releases by certain companies.

CGiRanger

Banned
So does this game run good on the Switch? Or is it better on the PC? And I'm mostly referring to performance (framerate), bugs and such. The visual aren't the selling point here that's for sure.

JackMcGunns

Yea there actually are quests added to the god sim part. It's mostly just stuff you have to do anyways, but now you get rewards for doing them. Most of the rewards are just materials to level up your "hero" of the area. Also, instead of just building a path to the enemy dens, you now have a mini-sidescroller stage to kill a big bubble. It only takes a minute or two, but it's more interactive than watching your followers make a spirit bomb and nuke it.

The side-scroller additions are a bigger moveset, a backdash (honestly, I can't remember if the original had it or not), and collectibles that permanently buff your character that are hidden throughout the stage, which encourages exploration. After the first stage, you actually unlock a mechanic that the more enemies you kill, the stronger your attacks get. Kinda gives incentive to go off the beaten path and actually engage enemies instead of just rushing by them.

The level design seems pretty different too, but better, and actually fits pretty well.

Thank you. Sounds good.

JackMcGunns

It's $10 cheaper on mobile, but I'm tempted to pay more and get on Switch, PS4 or Steam. The $30 bucks tag has me on the fence.

Pejo

It's $10 cheaper on mobile, but I'm tempted to pay more and get on Switch, PS4 or Steam. The $30 bucks tag has me on the fence.
Unless it has controller support on mobile, I wouldn't want to try to do the side scroller parts with touch controls.

*edit*
Those of you who got it on Steam - what are you playing on? Controller? Keyboard?
Controller for sure. I barely ever use M+KB on PC.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I hope this does good enough so we will get a Terranigma remake.

Velius

Banned
Not trying to be a downer but how do you fuck something like this up so badly? The animation is lame. The music is lame. I must confess the angel is cute/sexy

carlosrox

Banned
Actraiser 2 is a good game and all that but it always had this weird vibe that it was more catered to the west or something.

Music isn't as good, the art style feels a bit more generic, and they got rid of the Sim aspect.

No way is 2 better than 1.

Thaedolus

I can’t seem to get Fillmore Act 2 to unlock. I’ve tried everything I can think of 😐

edit nevermind I just saw the thing in the lower left corner saying to get a pop of 250

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Angels are cute girls, perhaps I should reconsider my atheism lol.

Uh that's a boy.

Maybe it's something else you should reconsider ;)

(just kidding obviously)

I thought they gender swapped the angel and I was ready to roll my eyes at it but that's actually a boy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom