• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ada Wong's new VA gets thousands of hate comments, disables Instagram comments

Anime-Vix

UPDATE - She has deleted all of the pictures off IG except this one.

Lily Gao, Ada Wong's new voice actress* celebrated getting the role of the iconic character on Instagram,
but her
Instagram was getting bombarded with hate comments from rabid Ada fans this entire week since launch of RE4 Remake
but it got out of hand a couple days ago when comments started getting incredibly mean and she deleted all of them and disabled her comment section.

I won't post those mean comments but they were being very racist and hateful to the actress. It is fine to express dislike for something but it is not ok to go to an actor's personal account and harass them.
We all love Ada but direct yoour criticism toward Capcom

*CAPCOM replaced Jolene Anderson (Ada's RE2 Remake voice) with Lily because Jolene joined a Union and CAPCOM decided to go non-union as well as going on an
initiative to hire actors of the same ethnicities as the characters - applicable for all of their games from here on out.

For more context on Liliy's performance as Ada, here's a piece written by Jade King on TheGamer:

Ada sounds almost bored half the time, her delivery seldom doing justice to her own feminine gravitas or the power she holds over those working with her. One-liners are dry and disinterested, as opposed to tongue-in-cheek, meaning big moments fans can't wait to hear land with a whimper. Ada is almost in a different world altogether, or doesn't express a campy irreverence in her femme fatale performance seen in other takes on the character. The end result is a beloved character who feels out of place, and this isn't something I hold against the actor, but perhaps the direction she was given or the role she was asked to inhabit that falls so far out of line with what we know and love.
https://www.thegamer.com/ada-wong-resident-evil-4-remake-seperate-ways-character-story/

Last edited:

Sentenza

Sometimes I don't know what's up with people on the internet and being so effortlessly unhinged.

Even assuming her performance was genuinely AWFUL in quality, it wouldn't even cross my mind to start stalking a voice actress all across her social media just to tell her "Your work sucks and you should feel bad for it".

Let's even assume it was something I was TERRIBLY invested on (which is vaguely unlikely in itself) I'd take my complaints to the publisher asking to re-record some bad lines. I wouldn't start to PESTER paid actors that just did their job.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
18660589_8433.jpg

ShadowLag

The trolls are immensely idiotic, but it's long past time people on social media understand that random bot troll idiots on Instagram have zero effect on your actual life, and things like this aren't newsworthy. Ignore them or delete them and move on; this isn't new. Also damn, she is 🔥🔥, don't think this should be affecting her much, or at all.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I do wonder why Capcom felt the need to replace Jolene Anderson considering her voice work was pretty good in RE2R.
Capcom got some stick from woke sites after RE2 Remake released,because the voice actor for Ada wasnt asian.
Since then i believe its policy to use the same ethnicity voice actors for the characters in their games.

Basically the loonies crying about something yet again, and the companies bowing to them, yet again.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Can we have a video to show her awful performance?
I made a search and this is the first I found:

First things first, it's not like there was ever much consistency to begin with, given than several actresses had the role over the years.
Second, while admittedly this is a small sample, she doesn't sound particularly better or worse than most of them in this clip.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think this is multifaceted.

For starters, just don't be dicks to people unless you've built up that kind of repoire beforehand. Criticizing a stranger with a comment loaded full of indignation will only serve to automatically cancel out the point you were trying to make in the first place.

Also, the advice that criticism should be directed towards Capcom, their writers, voice directors, or casting directors - that's true.

However...on a public forum of discussion such as social media, especially when intertwined with a large established Fandom, you have to kind of, as a professional, expect fuck ass comments from people with no skin in the game. Conversely, people should be allowed and encouraged to exchange opinions, even critical ones.

Casting, material and direction are super important, but she IS the forward facing public representation of the character SHE portrayed for this round of Resident Evil, so clamming up and letting the journo defense pieces tell you that "the REAL bad guys are the nameless amalgamation of silly little Japanese dudes you'll never meet across the ocean and isn't this boring now? Scroll down, you FOMO cow," is a kind of...weird tack.

Never really got the interest in voice actors. Couldn’t care less really. Don’t care who voices Snake, Bayonetta or anyone else. Sure it’s sucks if the performance isn’t great, but it’s just a game at the end of the day. I imagine people leaving hateful comments don’t have very fulfilling lives

VN1X

Banned
Sometimes I don't know what's up with people on the internet and being so effortlessly unhinged.

Even assuming her performance was genuinely AWFUL in quality, it wouldn't even cross my mind to start stalking a voice actress all across her social media just to tell her "Your work sucks and you should feel bad for it".

Let's even assume it was something I was TERRIBLY invested on (which is vaguely unlikely in itself) I'd take my complaints to the publisher asking to re-record some bad lines. I wouldn't start to PESTER paid actors that just did their job.
Stop making sense. You're on the internet.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
If her voice acting was so bad, then it was CAPCOM's job to realize that the voice acting wasn't up to snuff during recording. No need to berate the voice actor when the people paying the voice actor were obviously content with her material. CAPCOM is the one to berate for allowing second-rate voice acting in their game.

Side note: I haven't played this game, nor have I heard any of the voice actor's lines. I'm not saying she was bad at it, only that IF she were bad at it the blame should fall on CAPCOM for not having higher standards.

Fuz

Banned

It's the other side of the medal of VA cult.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
She sucked as Ada, but this is wrong obviously.
Grow up people.
First post best post. All that needs to be said.

Kind of wild how in a game where you suplex plague-infested monks while single-handedly saving the president's daughter, it was Ada's voice acting that pulled me out of the experience and broke my suspension of disbelief.

Still, I would never harass the actress for it. Boo-hoo, 0.01% of all the elements of a game I paid $60 for and otherwise enjoyed were negatively effected by her. Absolutely childish behavior.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Not really one to think too deeply about voice acting though she was jarringly bad.

Still, what a bunch of cunts. Wonder if these morons racially abusing her realise both the game and character are Asian.

Gambit2483

I do wonder why Capcom felt the need to replace Jolene Anderson considering her voice work was pretty good in RE2R.
Every previous Ada actress would have been acceptable...even the original RE2 actress. This is just an incident of Capcom changing something just for the sake of changing.

That said, people need to.get a grip. She got paid to do a job. If your critical "beef" is with anyone, it's with Capcom, NOT the actress.

Leave this woman alone!

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

Since then i believe its policy to use the same ethnicity voice actors for the characters in their games.
It was more of a rhetorical question, because I already know why Capcom is doing it.
Street Fighter 6 is the next game where these guidelines will be applied.

Last edited:

RaduN

She's not the problem. The problem is whoever thought she would make a half decent Ada.

She could very well be a great VA actress otherwise (no ideea).

Anyway, people are just acting stupid, as always. People are stupid.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I also think that, as a professional, if you noticed a large uptick in negative feedback to something that you put out into the world, even if some or the majority of the comments aren't constructive, I'd want to know, and I'd read reactions and critiques from people with the same evaluation of my work who had brain cells and firing synapses. Filter out the things you can't use. I mean, I get it, she's a person and people reflexively react based on emotion before anything else, but as a performer, this is an opportunity to pick out valid criticism and elevate her craft.

For my part, I'm still on chapter 7 of RE4R, so I've heard her performance in exactly one scene so far, and my estimation was it wasn't BAD, but she did sound bored and unattached to the material. I had thought that it may have been for the scene, like that's just her tone with that specific character, but apparently it's just her overall take on Ada. I'll have a better opinion once I finish, obviously. But it was noticeable, at the very least that the actress from RE2R wasn't carried over.

Reactions: K2D

Ansphn

If her voice acting was so bad, then it was CAPCOM's job to realize that the voice acting wasn't up to snuff during recording. No need to berate the voice actor when the people paying the voice actor were obviously content with her material. CAPCOM is the one to berate for allowing second-rate voice acting in their game.

Side note: I haven't played this game, nor have I heard any of the voice actor's lines. I'm not saying she was bad at it, only that IF she were bad at it the blame should fall on CAPCOM for not having higher standards.
This. It was Capcom's fault for hiring the wrong VA. I'm sure she went through auditions. People on the internet are like dirty cockroaches sometimes. Bunch of dirty individuals.

Jesb

I made a search and this is the first I found:

First things first, it's not like there was ever much consistency to begin with, given than several actresses had the role over the years.
Second, while admittedly this is a small sample, she doesn't sound particularly better or worse than most of them in this clip.

I don’t understand why so many people for one person. Wtf!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Jesus, why do so many of us gaming fans have to be absolute human pieces of trash.

Fucking trash!

Completed the game...amazing game. Sure her performance might have sounded a little dry but I dunno. I need to go back and listen to her other depictions. I didn't really think twice about the voice acting as I thought it all was pretty decent.

FingerBang

I don't understand why people think her performance is so bad and even if I thought it was terrible, the harassment would still be unjustified.

That said, I still think having to match voice actors to the ethnicity of a character is one of the stupidest things we got out of wokeness.

Top Bottom