• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ada Wong's new VA gets thousands of hate comments, disables Instagram comments

Re2remake Ada was indeed better in both voice and visual design/costume. But every time millions of people eyeroll at a dumb change like that and carry on about their business, a small percentage will shriek in frustration or hurl abuse. Like clockwork, what passes for media will pounce on these examples and hold them up as representative of all passionate fans, leaping to the defense of every dumb or bad thing every corporation does by propping up a minority person as a shield. (Just look at everything disney does for numerous examples.) Then the Umbrella-like corpos get minimal pushback because anyone who absorbs even a modest amount of mainstream information will be trained to view fans complaining as entitled at best and toxic at worst, as if the small amount of mentally unwell people raging in fandom were typical of the average fan complaint. Eventually, you'll be afraid to even say plainly true things because the constructed idea that fans are toxic will be so strong you won't want to risk being associated with fandom.

By the time Resi 4 gets its next remake on the Playstation 8, Ash Graham will be the star on zer mission to destroy Las Patriarchy, with Leon being burnt at the stake in the village square on the title screen as ze quips to zerself "where's everyone going? Non-ageist activity suggestion not found?" (The story will be written by A.I.) You won't DARE say a critical word about it, because everything everyone says will be monitored for "toxicity" to "protect" everyone, and you'll need your social credit score to not take a hit if you're going to eat that week. You'll be rockin' back and forth in your habitation pod murmuring to yourself "at least the rain looks pretty good this time."

And it all started with mainstream channels of information framing every criticism of every dumb or bad thing corporations do as an attack on a minority person who is used like a shield, constructing the "toxic fan" narrative by spreading a version of that story everytime entitled corpos ignore source material, put agenda before entertainment, or just suck.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
attacking, harassing , cursing, is all wrong

BUT

On instagram you can disable comantarys, messages , there is all kind of protection, so, Im sorry but this always sounds to me like "look at poor me" kind of drawing attention

But that's pretty much what she's done. She's deleted and disabled commentary.

Not sure what you're on about. She certainly didn't come crying to you. An article to point out how juvenile and stupid this attempts at harrasment is isn't out of place.

Calverz

What a complete joke people are. I thought Ada was great in this game all round. Much more believable and a bit of a badass too. I also really liked her facial animations. Especially when she got rejected by Leon at the end hahaha
But seriously I thought she was great all round. I wasn’t a fan of krausers va and Wesker was a bit weird.

supernova8

Banned
First off, if there was ever a good time to simp, it's now.
Look
at
that
body.
Lily fucking Gao.
She can Lily my Gao any day of the week.

z1onwxt.jpg

Secondly...

Lily Gao has a boring-as-fuck voice. Anyone capable of doing a few minutes of googling can see that. Clearly Capcom chose her for that voice or at least didn't object when she did that voice. Would be like hiring Stallone and expecting him not to do his typical Stallone voice.

Plus, where were all these dickheads when we needed to hound the VA casting director for Xenoblade Chronicles 2?! Presumably the dude who did Rex is still on social media.

Also, not everyone wants over-the-top voice acting in their video games. I'd say the original RE 4 VA for Ada was just as "over-done" as Lily Gao's version was "under-done".

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Capcom got some stick from woke sites after RE2 Remake released,because the voice actor for Ada wasnt asian.
Since then i believe its policy to use the same ethnicity voice actors for the characters in their games.

Basically the loonies crying about something yet again, and the companies bowing to them, yet again.

… the fact that the previous actress joined a union and CAPCOM wants non unionised workers has something to do with it.

tommycronin

Banned
She did sound weird at first to me but like it's Resident Evil, hardly a dealbreaker. It's so easy to blame the VA and not the people who hired her and told her what to say and how to say it.

reksveks

attacking, harassing , cursing, is all wrong

BUT

On instagram you can disable comantarys, messages , there is all kind of protection, so, Im sorry but this always sounds to me like "look at poor me" kind of drawing attention
Did she post a public comment about the harassment?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
What did she expect? Thousands of people before her got harassed but for some reason she won’t?
Disable comments or don’t use social media. It is well known that the latter brings out the worst in people…

Oh, and interesting that this topic comes up. I haven’t finished RE4 yet so I didn’t read the OT. And I already planned to complain about Ada’s voice in there once I’m through. It’s really bad.

BbMajor7th

Imagine getting bent out of shape about the voice acting in a game series that has built it's entire empire on unapologetically bad writing.

Secondly, Capcom can get out with that anti-union bullshit. Tantamount to saying "yeah, we're looking for staff that can't stand up for themselves."

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Ada sounds almost bored half the time, her delivery seldom doing justice to her own feminine gravitas or the power she holds over those working with her. One-liners are dry and disinterested, as opposed to tongue-in-cheek, meaning big moments fans can't wait to hear land with a whimper. Ada is almost in a different world altogether, or doesn't express a campy irreverence in her femme fatale performance seen in other takes on the character. The end result is a beloved character who feels out of place, and this isn't something I hold against the actor, but perhaps the direction she was given or the role she was asked to inhabit that falls so far out of line with what we know and love.
”Feminine gravitas”, LOL.

The implications of this snippet are awful.
Let’s see: Ada is kickass, BUT she was too sexualized so that wasn’t OK. Now it’s OK for her to “hold power over those working with her” (obviously males) with her “feminine gravitas” and “femme fatale performance“, so her sexual appeal is suddenly very important BUT the voice actress fails at sounding teasing and this is a bad thing because now Ada is not “what we know and love”.
These people are just endlessly entertaining.

Lily looks super hot! Awesome! At first I had a lot of empathy and compassion for what happens to her, harassment is never good. Just to set the baseline here. Harassment = bad, always, no matter who the target and the reason why. Ok she did some bad line reading. Harassment is completely out of line.

That being said, my empathy and compassion melted right away when I saw this post on her instagram:

Sure, the white people did it, yes whites privilege, only white people could be so evil. Like what the f*ck, it’s always the white people who are the source of all evil. F*ck that.

Jessica Chastain Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Olimbox

Neo Member
People on internet can be awfully bad. I posted a pictures of my son's paint on reddit a few weeks ago, and I've been insulted all day badly for being a liar (and much worse) because people thought I was lying for "points" on reddit. I deleted the post the day after, and didn't login on reddit since then.

TrueLegend

A lot of people have a lot of extreme dumb opinions of what's ok and what's not ok here...if it was a video chat or voice chat with others i would understand but people calling out other people who harassed her on fucking INSTAGRAM like really.....that's counted.......my god some people really do have very high life.

Last edited:
I feel bad for her. People have constantly harassed me online too. But pestering somebody over a casting decision is honestly just sad and immature.

There's a creepy Australian guy mocking my mum's frail health on anxietyforum.net and stalking me on YouTube and other forums, so I know there's a lot of deranged folk online who just enjoy being an arsehole. :(

A lot of people have a lot of extreme dumb opinions of what's ok and what's not ok here...if it was a video chat or voice chat with others i would understand but people calling out other people who harassed her on fucking INSTAGRAM like really.....that's counted.......my god some people really do have very high life.
Harassment is always bad, no matter where it happens. It’s ok to you people harass each other on Instagram? Maybe I read your post wrong but that’s what it reads like

Laura Bailey had this shit done to her back in 2020 as well. People threatened to kill her because a fictional man died in a video game.

It's stupid nonsense like this that I don't support.

Laura Bailey had this shit done to her back in 2020 as well. People threatened to kill her because a fictional man died in a video game.

It's stupid nonsense like this that I don't support.
I think laws should be way more strict worldwide when it comes to the internet. In not a single occasion it’s ok to harass anyone, but that’s a fine line that’s sometimes hard to judge on. I can imagine it’s difficult to write a good law on this that punishes actual harassment but doesn’t go overboard where you can say everything is harassment.

Death threats or things like threats lening to do violence etc are much easier to judge and should be punished at all times. How come these people are nearly never punished for this behavior? They destroy people and their complete families just because they mostly want to troll. It’s heartless and sickening. And they keep doing it because there’s no one that stops them.

I know. I could somewhat understand it if somebody is a teenager, taken a radge pot (crazy) attitude towards strangers online. People are often dumb at that age. Not every teenager, fortunately. But when you find out the bogan annoying your ass is actually 37 years old as well... oh man. That's like, a new level of lame. :D

Ozriel

M$FT
What did she expect? Thousands of people before her got harassed but for some reason she won’t?
Disable comments or don’t use social media. It is well known that the latter brings out the worst in people…

You say this as if it’s the standard thing for female VA to be harassed on social media for their work.

She clearly didn’t expect that. Heck, most people posting in this thread didn’t expect that.

Sentenza

Lily looks super hot! Awesome! At first I had a lot of empathy and compassion for what happens to her, harassment is never good. Just to set the baseline here. Harassment = bad, always, no matter who the target and the reason why. Ok she did some bad line reading. Harassment is completely out of line.

That being said, my empathy and compassion melted right away when I saw this post on her instagram:

Sure, the white people did it, yes whites privilege, only white people could be so evil. Like what the f*ck, it’s always the white people who are the source of all evil. F*ck that.

Jessica Chastain Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

While I agree that this is the type of take that makes me almost feel "Give me back my sympathy", it should be pointed that this isn't her answer to the recent events.
According to IG this is something she posted 147 weeks ago... So almost 3 years old.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You say this as if it’s the standard thing for female VA to be harassed on social media for their work.

She clearly didn’t expect that. Heck, most people posting in this thread didn’t expect that.
I don't follow this too much tbh but I have a hard time believing ANYONE else does not at least have the occasional idiot making some inappropriate comments.

JackSparr0w

Banned

What a little cunt.

Just as bad as the simps in this thread. Simping for a vile racist, really guys?

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Good example of why I'm usually reluctant to admit to being a gamer. I don't wanna be lumped in with the kind of crowd that does retarded shit like this.

She was fine, it was a small role anyway, who cares? Makes me wanna grab any idiot who did that by the collar and slap the stupid out of him.

Zephyrus0

Banned
Sometimes I don't know what's up with people on the internet and being so effortlessly unhinged.

Even assuming her performance was genuinely AWFUL in quality, it wouldn't even cross my mind to start stalking a voice actress all across her social media just to tell her "Your work sucks and you should feel bad for it".

Let's even assume it was something I was TERRIBLY invested on (which is vaguely unlikely in itself) I'd take my complaints to the publisher asking to re-record some bad lines. I wouldn't start to PESTER paid actors that just did their job.
Constant lack of real world socialization.

Lunarorbit

No problem with fans complaining or making fun of a VA dialogue but don't be racist about it. That's lame as hell.

Go on her insta and complain directly to her if you must but be civil about it

drotahorror

To me, it sounds like she is tired of the BS.
Leon sounds the same way.

Listen to how they sound in re2, OG or remake, they're both a bit more chipper.

Probably yeah. I haven't played RE2R in a while so I don't recall. I thought Leon did well in RE4R though.

MiguelItUp

No one should ever be targeted and harassed, it's so stupid and gross. That being said, not sure why people target an actor before targeting the director or person directing the voice actors. They're the ones that direct them, okay the lines, etc. Essentially they're mad at her because of how her voice sounds, which is even more stupid IMO, lol.

I didn't think she was awful by any means, I think it was clear her delivery was meant to be cold, and it was. But no one deserves such a thing. I wouldn't be surprised if some actors don't want to comeback to games after this shit.

TrueLegend

Harassment is always bad, no matter where it happens. It’s ok to you people harass each other on Instagram? Maybe I read your post wrong but that’s what it reads like
One cannot harass you on Instagram. There is no interaction possible on Instagram with initiation. People can send you messages that you can block n delete and thats happens to everyone on every social media platform. Learn the meaning of word harassment. People pestering you with messages that you can easily block is not harassment.

Top Bottom