• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ada Wong's new VA gets thousands of hate comments, disables Instagram comments

2 points.

Point 1: People on the internet suck, and it will be that way forever. There is no avoiding it. As soon as you are no longer anonymous, you are always a hairs breadth away from getting viciously dogpiled by scum. I feel for her.

Point 2: the instagram pic she posted and kept up is cringey as fuck.

Nickolaidas

I made a search and this is the first I found:

First things first, it's not like there was ever much consistency to begin with, given than several actresses had the role over the years.
Second, while admittedly this is a small sample, she doesn't sound particularly better or worse than most of them in this clip.

Agreed.

My take is that she seems to be lacking this 'Do you want me to suck your cock' pseudo seductive tone the original VA had, and that probably upset some fans' jerk off sessions.

the instagram pic she posted and kept up is cringey as fuck.
Yup.

Last edited:
One cannot harass you on Instagram. There is no interaction possible on Instagram with initiation. People can send you messages that you can block n delete and thats happens to everyone on every social media platform. Learn the meaning of word harassment. People pestering you with messages that you can easily block is not harassment.
How is sending a message on instagram to someone, lets say you, where I say: I hated you in … . I will come to your house soon, yes I know where you live. I’ll come over and murder you. Chopping you in little pieces and then I’ll go for your friends, your family. Everyone you know. Oh wait, I’ll rape you first. Peace out!.

Ok you can block me. Does that undo what I said? Absolutely not. Maybe harassment means something else for you than for me but to me this is a threat, harassment, bad taste and many other things.

Edit: definition of harassment:

har·ass·ment
[ˈharəsm(ə)nt, həˈrasm(ə)nt]

NOUN
  1. aggressive pressure or intimidation:

Edit edit: another example:

Harassment definition is any unwanted behavior, physical or verbal, that offends, humiliates, or distresses a person123. It may be based on discrimination or retaliation3. It may be a pattern or a serious one-time incident14. It may be illegal or create a hostile work environment34

Last edited:

Madflavor

Agreed.

My take is that she seems to be lacking this 'Do you want me to suck your cock' pseudo seductive tone the original VA had, and that probably upset some fans' jerk off sessions.

I'm flip flopping constantly with "Eh she's not that bad." and "Nah, she is bad."

But in her defense I find that most of the time it's just bad voice directing. Could either be she was miscast, or she was just going with the direction that was given to her, both fall on the Voice Director. It could also be this was her interpretation of Ada, and the VD agreed with it. Often times it's not cause of them doing take after take after take, and they can never get anything good out of the voice actor and decide to just go with it.

I don't dislike the VA at all all, and I do feel bad she was harassed like this. But if I'm being honest, this is just a bad interpretation of Ada. The voice actors from RE2R had good chemistry together, and it would've been nice to see them continue with that in RE4R. As much of a phenominal game RE4R is, I think they really dropped the ball on Ada.

Bragr

Banned
I don't understand what's going on. People are talking about the absurdity of attacking her because of the voice acting, which I agree with, it's stupid. But the first post in this thread has some weird race post which makes her seem like the stupidest person in the world.

I don't understand what's going on. People are talking about the absurdity of attacking her because of the voice acting, which I agree with, it's stupid. But the first post in this thread has some weird race post which makes her seem like the stupidest person in the world.
She can be harassed and stupid at the same time. Agree with you that the first post image has nothing to do with the original idea where we say it’s bad to harass people.

kunonabi

Agreed.

Yup.
Remake Ada wasn't seductive either and nobody really complained. She was a very different take and the actress did a fine job with it. Lily put out a dead fish of a performance like she did in the film. It isn't direction or anything else, she just wasn't very good. It happens.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I was gonna say you must be a sad individual to go to someone's Instagram to bitch about their performance.
You have a right to your opinion and to discuss with others, but don't harass the actress about it.
But that Instagram post......

-Zelda-

Banned
While I agree that this is the type of take that makes me almost feel "Give me back my sympathy", it should be pointed that this isn't her answer to the recent events.
According to IG this is something she posted 147 weeks ago... So almost 3 years old.

So she is just an idiot in general, trying to play the race card on the whole, and not just because of the admittedly dumb harassment she is getting thrown her way? She can piss off, even if her haters are bad.

Don't care about this character, much, shit I haven't gotten past chapter 4 yet, and never beat the original, so never really seen her parts outside of a few second part.

That being said, whats with the privilege woke shit on her twitter from the op? Sorry this lady may have had my ear until she attacked white people and color blindness. Something I wholeheartedly endorse(color blind society, something we as a nation agreed on until 5 minutes ago).

I was on board with the "don't harass" person, and capcom's decision, but then she had to play the idenitarian, priveldge shit. Sorry but being poor is worse then being a rich miniorty. Anyone who says otherwise has never had to struggle. Being poor no matter what trumps any thing else. Its just like the idiots who would say things like: "lebron james is worse off then the white bum living in the sewer because privilege... "(people said that to me before on reddit, couldn't believe it) Living paycheck to paycheck = not priviledged, even if white. A 6-7 figure paid actor is not oppressed, you don't have it bad, you don't have to worry about how you are going to pay your bills.

Take that shit the curb. Is it wrong to harass someone yes. Is it wrong to play the privilege card, yes. Two things can be true.

Also whats up with Capcom being woke. It shouldn't matter the ethnicity of a voice actor. You are an actor. If that matters then all the race swaps recently should matter too. You can't have it both ways. Identity shit has ruined our culture in the last 12 years or so. When people reject colorblind society, countries like the USA (which is a melting pot) will crumble. You can't have multi-racial pluralist society with identitarian anti colorblind approach to things. It just won't work. This is how resentment is born. This is how you go to court and have a judge a different ethnicity than you and you automatically assume that you will be treated differently, why because in a world where all people care about is tribe and their place in it you will have people who will only help their own. It closes out togetherness, and community in favor of us vs them. Colorblind society means equality under the law. That no matter the ethnicity or gender they will be treated as citizens based on the content of character and being citizens of nation.

The reason companies are embracing woke culture is so they don't have to hire unionized workers. Their won't be protests by people who traditionally cared about workers rights if the company is pushing woke shit. Horrible, and mark my words will cause friction and sepratism in the long run. There is only so long before resentment forms.

Bottom line:
1. don't give death threats or harass people. Legit criticism and opinion fine, being a mean ass is just bad.
2. Woke /identiarianism is horrible, and needs to go. I personally won't support any woke business if I can help it. (ESG, DEI, CRT, anti-color blind, nah). Capcom you are skirting the edge on this, don't listen to SF weirdos, and stick with traditional Japanese culture. Although, seeing Sf6, and some leaked document, I have a feeling it's too late.

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
Just another way the remake is inferior to the original. Literally a race quota hire.

Lily looks super hot! Awesome! At first I had a lot of empathy and compassion for what happens to her, harassment is never good. Just to set the baseline here. Harassment = bad, always, no matter who the target and the reason why. Ok she did some bad line reading. Harassment is completely out of line.

That being said, my empathy and compassion melted right away when I saw this post on her instagram:

Sure, the white people did it, yes whites privilege, only white people could be so evil. Like what the f*ck, it’s always the white people who are the source of all evil. F*ck that.

Jessica Chastain Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Deserves the hate.

Agreed.

Yeah, you're gay, we get it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GeNoMe

No Bueno. People suck dude. I thought her performance was alright. Could have been more feisty I guess. But it is what it is man, Jesus.

My view is going to deviate from everyone else's, but I can't take people having such reactions to comments on the internet seriously.

Everyone back in the day knew how to laugh, ignore, or logoff and take a breather. They were not getting depressed, expressing suicide, having meltdown, deleting posts, leaving up pseudo political posts, this wasn't a thing.

Because everyone knew they were internet comments that meant nothing at the end of the day, other than temporary frustration at best. Jeffrofl779 saying to meet him outside wasn't actually outside your house, everyone talked smack.

This more modern internet is actually less aggressive but people see some comments on YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and then they break apart as if they were being harassed or physically attacked in real life.

This push to condition people to react wrong and take the internet at face value, I can't take seriously.

She could have logged out and moved on, blocked or ignored comments. Why deleted all the stuff in a tantrum?

I don't condone bullying, I know based on how she views the internet, it's serious to her so I'm not saying her feelings aren't real, they are.

But when I see something like this, or this other person on YouTube who went to therapy and is scared to socialize anymore after some insults on YouTube out of 7th grade, It just doesn't make sense to.me.

Yes, her getting ambushed for the VA is unnecessary and wrong, but the reaction isn't the right one. It's just weird to me that people are getting worse about responding to or dealing with online interaction.

We've seen this with less being done, it just seems like everyone is going the wrong direction here, and in several countries, it's opening an excuse to push censorship and state control of internet use, taking advantage of these people's emotions knowing they will wholeheartedly support such policies.

Oh no, people were mean on social media.

Pretty much this.

Last edited:
Who the hell even gets upset enough over something so small that they do shit like this to begin with? The hell is wrong with people? All the things you can do in life and you choose that? So weird.

fatmarco

Isn't she meant to be a love interest for Leon? Part of her character arc is that romantic relationship she has with Leon and the conflict that it creates for her own mysterious objectives. In fact that's the entirety of her character and what makes her fun playing off Leon.

Not saying the remake doesn't have any of that at all, it's just so toned down that it's barely a thing in the new one, but I guess there's a lot of stuff in the remake that, narratively, has been stripped bare.

Luis Sera got an upgrade (a very good one), but I'd say every other side character/villain is basically worse off.

Nickolaidas

Just another way the remake is inferior to the original. Literally a race quota hire.
Well, the remake beats the living snot out of the original in every way so I guess the original needed a win, as small a win as Ada's remake VA can be.

Krathoon

Today's youth are having real issues with mental health, for some reason. Is it really the internet's fault?
There are using the web to make sneak attacks on people without consequences. We may have to start requiring people to use their actual id on the internet.

Nickolaidas

Oh, most definitely yah. I mean, I was a little reserved because I hadn't played the game yet, but the experience is phenomenal. Amazing atmosphere, tense gameplay, terrific visuals, better characterization ... I never expected to literally be floored by a Resident Evil game with the number 4, yet here we are.

OCASM

Banned
Oh, most definitely yah. I mean, I was a little reserved because I hadn't played the game yet, but the experience is phenomenal. Amazing atmosphere, tense gameplay, terrific visuals, better characterization ... I never expected to literally be floored by a Resident Evil game with the number 4, yet here we are.
A bad story taken seriously with cardboard cutouts for characters and bad VA. Worse camera and controls. No mercernaries mode. Etc...

Krathoon

Really, I was kind of baffled as to why RE4 needed a remake. It is pretty much a classic.

The other remakes made sense due to them being old PS1 games.

RE4 VA's are legendary, though I find Wesker RE5 the best.

Though in the remake, her voice acting kinda lacked...emotions I guess? Felt like some kinda of robot or whatever.

Last edited:
Am I missing something, or what the only confirming piece of evidence the following contained in the article “according to a ResetEra user who had access to the section of comments before Gao disabled her.”

Last edited:
I'm just flabbergasted that people would spend the energy and hate to harass someone over something that isn't an issue. People need to learn that what they say to someone there is a human person on the other end. Stop being assholes

I do wonder why Capcom felt the need to replace Jolene Anderson considering her voice work was pretty good in RE2R.
money, it's always money.

Anyway harassing a person for it is just dumb. The actress is not at fault, and if she did a shit job, well... someone was recording and did a screen test before I'm sure.

Imagine the S Tier level of crybaby it takes to go dog pile someone on IG/Twitter all whilst hiding behind anonymity and their crusty no name $17 mechanical keyboard they bought on wish

Hestar69

She was meh in Re4 and ppl can say shes awful in it but sending death threats is crazy.

Also,Her IG post talking about white pillager is just fucking stupid, white privilege doesn't exist. Only morons think it does so when things don't go their way they can say "it's because I don't have white privilege"

I feel bad for her getting hate and at the same time I don't for her stupid IG post.

Aaron Olive

Those Resetters at it again…. If they didn’t like her performance they should be blaming the directors for not getting the correct vocal reaction lines that they needed from the actor, not her fault.

The director is responsible for getting the right response for the project.

Nickolaidas

She was meh in Re4 and ppl can say shes awful in it but sending death threats is crazy.

Also,Her IG post talking about white pillager is just fucking stupid, white privilege doesn't exist. Only morons think it does so when things don't go their way they can say "it's because I don't have white privilege"

I feel bad for her getting hate and at the same time I don't for her stupid IG post.
Yeah, she basically insinuates all her 'critics' are angry white people and she is a victim of racism.

Braag

I didn't mind her voice. Like yeah she sounded different but much more cold instead of overly flirty.
Bunch of sad degenerates harassing the actress is for some reason not even surprising me at this point.

Top Bottom