• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ada Wong's new VA gets thousands of hate comments, disables Instagram comments

Fuz

Banned
UPDATE - She has deleted all of the pictures off IG except this one.

Lily Gao, Ada Wong's new voice actress* celebrated getting the role of the iconic character on Instagram,
but her
Instagram was getting bombarded with hate comments from rabid Ada fans this entire week since launch of RE4 Remake
but it got out of hand a couple days ago when comments started getting incredibly mean and she deleted all of them and disabled her comment section.

I won't post those mean comments but they were being very racist and hateful to the actress. It is fine to express dislike for something but it is not ok to go to an actor's personal account and harass them.
We all love Ada but direct yoour criticism toward Capcom

*CAPCOM replaced Jolene Anderson (Ada's RE2 Remake voice) with Lily because Jolene joined a Union and CAPCOM decided to go non-union as well as going on an
initiative to hire actors of the same ethnicities as the characters - applicable for all of their games from here on out.

For more context on Liliy's performance as Ada, here's a piece written by Jade King on TheGamer:

https://www.thegamer.com/ada-wong-resident-evil-4-remake-seperate-ways-character-story/

Eeeeeh, what a bad slip.

Not on your side anymore, girl.

By now everyone should know how shitty the internet can be. I have no doubt people sent her threats and stuff, but she seems like a person who would group criticisms of her voice work and threats as one overall attack on her.

Her response to it seems to come off as if it was because of her race and not her performance. I'm sure some of the people "attacking" her had racial undertones in their responses or flat out racist comments but based on the quality of work it was most likely because of her race she got the job.

So there are two parties responsible for this incident. The first is Capcom hiring her. Based on her previous work and the performance she gave she shouldn't have been hired. The second is dumb people on the internet. People brought this up in the thread that most people aren't mature enough to use the internet. Also, considering what the internet is, if you don't have a thick skin social media isn't for you.

luij81

Banned
I said it elsewhere and I'll say it here: seriously, what would you guys expect from a RE4 fanbase? Of course it's not everyone, but the amount of jerks in these 'communities' is through the roof compared to the already f*cked up gamer community behavior.

I mean, RE4 is one the most 'disconnected from nowadays reality' games in terms of respecting and representing women I've seen in years. In fact, I'd say that, in a way, RE4 ENCOURAGES this type of behavior towards women. Ashley, for example, is the fragile-stupid-what-do-we-do-Leon stereotype all along. Ada, at a given point in the game, enters a scene while the camera focuses on her ASS for absolutely no reason other than pleasing disgusting weirdos and freaks (including the producers who kept it in the remake) - weirdos and freaks amongst whom most of these lunatics harassing the actress probably come from.

I'm not surprised at all.

Cyberpunkd

The end result is a beloved character who feels out of place, and this isn't something I hold against the actor, but perhaps the direction she was given or the role she was asked to inhabit that falls so far out of line with what we know and love.
She sucks at her job. But it’s not her fault, she was just given wrong direction!

Her harassment cannot be excused, but we don’t need fragments like that. Maybe she is just bad at her job, not the first time someone like that got hired. Also her going on about ‘white privilege’ doesn’t help her.

jaysius

Banned
Does it matter? Capcom decided it's good enough. If anyone is to blame it's them.
That's a simp response, don't do that for Capcom, this random voice actress.

She was chosen because she was cheap, she's cheap because she's not good.

Don't harass a person because they did a shitty job like this actress that's fucking insane, but it's Capcom's fault for cutting corners on pricing of voice actors. Don't put up lousy defense for shitty voice actors either and even shittier choices made by mega corporations to save a buck BUT charge a high price for the end product.

Her voice isn't even consistent :pie_neutral: also it's lifeless, she could be reading a recipe with the lack of emotions in her voice.

Video contains spoilers(of course).

Last edited:

mxbison

That's a simp response, don't do that for Capcom, this random voice actress.

She was chosen because she was cheap, she's cheap because she's not good.

Don't harass a person because they did a shitty job like this actress that's fucking insane, but it's Capcom's fault for cutting corners on pricing of voice actors. Don't put up lousy defense for shitty voice actors either and even shittier choices made by mega corporations to save a buck BUT charge a high price for the end product.

Her voice isn't even consistent :pie_neutral: also it's lifeless, she could be reading a recipe with the lack of emotions in her voice.

Video contains spoilers(of course).

Oh gtfo with the simp stuff...

You just said yourself it's on Capcom for choosing the cheap option. So what the hell are you even talking about?

I just got back from the Zelda Tears of the Kingdom thread and one member here was threatening to smash the other member's face because one didn't see eye to eye with the other member on the game.

Some of the fuckers on the internet needs help. Serious help. As in psychiatric help.

jaysius

Banned
Oh gtfo with the simp stuff...

You just said yourself it's on Capcom for choosing the cheap option. So what the hell are you even talking about?
She's a fucking hack. The simping your doing is for Capcom at this point,and that's disgusting.

It's a sad fucking state that kidults have learned that access to people through instagram and other means, makes them think you can tear a person apart for a company's shitty choices.

It's Capcom at fault, you should have acknowledge that they made a shitty choice because the actress is a hack.

There are two things wrong here, the company cheaped out, and that person is bad at their job.

You were trying to absolve the shitty actress.

It's nobody's job to TELL HER she's shit now, Capcom was supposed to do that, while she was working, it's the next person that shouldn't hire her to let her know that.

The worst effect of all of this, is that now she'll get a sympathy hire because of internet pyschos... congrats on fucking up some other game.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I said it elsewhere and I'll say it here: seriously, what would you guys expect from a RE4 fanbase? Of course it's not everyone, but the amount of jerks in these 'communities' is through the roof compared to the already f*cked up gamer community behavior.

I mean, RE4 is one the most 'disconnected from nowadays reality' games in terms of respecting and representing women I've seen in years. In fact, I'd say that, in a way, RE4 ENCOURAGES this type of behavior towards women. Ashley, for example, is the fragile-stupid-what-do-we-do-Leon stereotype all along. Ada, at a given point in the game, enters a scene while the camera focuses on her ASS for absolutely no reason other than pleasing disgusting weirdos and freaks (including the producers who kept it in the remake) - weirdos and freaks amongst whom most of these lunatics harassing the actress probably come from.

You on the other hand sound super normal tho

mxbison

She's a fucking hack. The simping your doing is for Capcom at this point,and that's disgusting.

It's a sad fucking state that kidults have learned that access to people through instagram and other means, makes them think you can tear a person apart for a company's shitty choices.

It's Capcom at fault, you should have acknowledge that they made a shitty choice, and this actress is a hack.

Now I'm simping for Capcom who I said are at fault?

Nothing you say makes any sense lol.

Mephisto40

Yea, prices were lower and companies gave a fuck about what they were producing.

Now they're owned by bigger conglomerates that just want to cut as many corners and make as much money as possible.
7n2dZ4b.jpg

jaysius

Banned
Such a different thing, also DKC 2 is worth every fucking penny, so is Super Punch Out. A remake of a decent game.

Also what a shitty way to try and move the goal post, Consumer Distributing had infamously bad pricing. Not only that, but that's CANADIAN PRICES when Canada was getting ROYALLY FUCKED on the conversion. That's some pure shit logic there dude, congrats.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
So it looks like Capcom decided to use the actress who plays Ada Wong in the recent Welcome to Raccoon City movie, which IMO is fine enough.
And despite all the suggestions I see here and elsewhere about her VA performance being bad, I disagree about that. It's simply a voice acting that doesn't conform to the usual femme fatale trope (sweet, relaxed and arrogant/confident), which is simply a different direction than what had been previously made for that character.

Regardless, claiming that the voice acting is bad on the internet is fine by me. Harassing the person on social media is terrible.

But unfortunately, IMO the very worst part of it all is her racist tirade on instagram which is inexcusable.

So much complaining, accusations and generalization of people with one specific skin tone when she has absolutely no idea about the skin tones of the ones harassing her. For all she knows, 80% of them could be dudes from India and Bangladesh and 15% could be blacks and latinos from South American countries. But of course she gains virtue signaling points for being openly racist against whites so that's where she puts her focus on.

Such a shame. In the end, everyone sucks here. I guess that's the lesson to take from here.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
Canadian Flyer. I have bought games here since the 80s and we get the shaft here. The only time games were cheap was during the crash. Physical memory at the time was expensive. Notice how the prices listed in the canadian flyer vary. They vary due to how much memory the cartridge required. NEOGEO games were hundreds of dollars. It is an apple to oranges comparison. The industry has also expanded to the point where they are selling to an exponentially larger user base while at the same time development costs are exponentially higher.

Mephisto40

Such a different thing, also DKC 2 is worth every fucking penny, so is Super Punch Out. A remake of a decent game.

Also what a shitty way to try and move the goal post, Consumer Distributing had infamously bad pricing. Not only that, but that's CANADIAN PRICES when Canada was getting ROYALLY FUCKED on the conversion. That's some pure shit logic there dude, congrats.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF
1elLh3Qh2EBzUMhvnrHU6vXsC8NCN6Lp-4NriNOIBCU.jpg

The US prices aren't much better tbh, so the whole argument of "Things cost less therefore it was acceptable back then" doesn't really work

I don't remeber anybody pulling out the pitch forks when the original Resident Evil was released and had voice acting straight out of a 5 year olds English homework assignment, the fact that it happens now is just pathetic

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
1elLh3Qh2EBzUMhvnrHU6vXsC8NCN6Lp-4NriNOIBCU.jpg

The US prices aren't much better tbh, so the whole argument of "Things cost less therefore it was acceptable back then" doesn't really work

I don't remeber anybody pulling out the pitch forks when the original Resident Evil was released and had voice acting straight out of a 5 year olds English homework assignment, the fact that it happens now is just pathetic
Wow, comparing the VO for RE 1 and this.... amazing logic, comparing a product that was a shot in the dark risk, because of how different it was, VS a tried and tested successful IP with a REMAKE of a game that sold well... your logic isn't even close to logic

Another huge difference in that rotten pathetic comparison of the hammy RE 1 VO and this is that the other VO people did a GOOD JOB whereas ONE PERSON did a really really bad job here.

Also those prices are A BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE dude, if you can't see that, get some fucking glasses, what a bad troll. "Weren't much better" talking about fucking $90 games max vs $70 games max...

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Wow, comparing the VO for RE 1 and this.... amazing logic, comparing a product that was a shot in the dark risk, because of how different it was, VS a tried and tested successful IP with a REMAKE of a game that sold well... your logic isn't even close to logic

Another huge difference in that rotten pathetic comparison of the hammy RE 1 VO and this is that the other VO people did a GOOD JOB whereas ONE PERSON did a really really bad job here.

Also those prices are A BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE dude, if you can't see that, get some fucking glasses, what a bad troll. "Weren't much better" talking about fucking $90 games max vs $70 games max...
You really don't know how to communicate with people do you

jaysius

Banned
You really don't know how to communicate with people do you
Communicate quite well thanks, just can't stand people creating false equivalencies and defying even the most basic level of logic.

With your gross abuse of logic showing pricing that was from Canada, a country with a dollar that was weaker in the 90's and also there was a far more unfair conversion on games, and then comparing a game that was a shot in the dark big risk for a company vs a very safe remake of a top selling game, your communication skills are far worse.

You don't even know how to have a fair arguement.

Last edited:

ShadowLag

UPDATE - She has deleted all of the pictures off IG except this one.

Lily Gao, Ada Wong's new voice actress* celebrated getting the role of the iconic character on Instagram,
but her
Instagram was getting bombarded with hate comments from rabid Ada fans this entire week since launch of RE4 Remake
but it got out of hand a couple days ago when comments started getting incredibly mean and she deleted all of them and disabled her comment section.

I won't post those mean comments but they were being very racist and hateful to the actress. It is fine to express dislike for something but it is not ok to go to an actor's personal account and harass them.
We all love Ada but direct yoour criticism toward Capcom

*CAPCOM replaced Jolene Anderson (Ada's RE2 Remake voice) with Lily because Jolene joined a Union and CAPCOM decided to go non-union as well as going on an
initiative to hire actors of the same ethnicities as the characters - applicable for all of their games from here on out.

For more context on Liliy's performance as Ada, here's a piece written by Jade King on TheGamer:

https://www.thegamer.com/ada-wong-resident-evil-4-remake-seperate-ways-character-story/

What The Fuck GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

uh ........

I can't.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

*CAPCOM replaced Jolene Anderson (Ada's RE2 Remake voice) with Lily because Jolene joined a Union and CAPCOM decided to go non-union as well as going on an initiative to hire actors of the same ethnicities as the characters - applicable for all of their games from here on out.
The actress is obviously the wrong target, but capcom should be bombarded for racist casting..

OuterLimits

So it looks like Capcom decided to use the actress who plays Ada Wong in the recent Welcome to Raccoon City movie, which IMO is fine enough.
And despite all the suggestions I see here and elsewhere about her VA performance being bad, I disagree about that. It's simply a voice acting that doesn't conform to the usual femme fatale trope (sweet, relaxed and arrogant/confident), which is simply a different direction than what had been previously made for that character.

Regardless, claiming that the voice acting is bad on the internet is fine by me. Harassing the person on social media is terrible.

But unfortunately, IMO the very worst part of it all is her racist tirade on instagram which is inexcusable.

So much complaining, accusations and generalization of people with one specific skin tone when she has absolutely no idea about the skin tones of the ones harassing her. For all she knows, 80% of them could be dudes from India and Bangladesh and 15% could be blacks and latinos from South American countries. But of course she gains virtue signaling points for being openly racist against whites so that's where she puts her focus on.

Such a shame. In the end, everyone sucks here. I guess that's the lesson to take from here.

All these people who lecture on "white privilege" should visit Appalachia (or better yet, the entire Rust Belt) and see for themselves all the "White privilege" in the many towns where good jobs are hard to find and opioid addiction is rampant.(plus overall life expectancy is far lower than national average)

Or perhaps they can visit East Palestine where the Government orders the burning of toxic chemicals, poisons the air and water, and essentially abandons an entire area because reopening a train track is far more important. In fact, it is crucial that someone travel there ASAP and organize a townhall so the residents there can be educated about how privileged they truly are!

RagnarokIV

All these people who lecture on "white privilege" should visit Appalachia (or better yet, the entire Rust Belt) and see for themselves all the "White privilege" in the many towns where good jobs are hard to find and opioid addiction is rampant.(plus overall life expectancy is far lower than national average)

Or perhaps they can visit East Palestine where the Government orders the burning of toxic chemicals, poisons the air and water, and essentially abandons an entire area because reopening a train track is far more important. In fact, it is crucial that someone travel there ASAP and organize a townhall so the residents there can be educated about how privileged they truly are!
Or the vast majority of the UK where "white privilege" is living in a grimy council estate filled with crime and drugs.

ToTTenTranz

Banned

But even that is a type of US defaultism.
The actress definitely didn't have access to the IP ranges of the people harassing her online (let alone their skin color), and most of them may not even be from the US.

This idea that all harassers on the internet are white guys living in the US is toxic and racist.

MiguelItUp

”I suck at voice acting, so people are racist.” Ironic since she got the job in the first place was because of her ethnicity.
I mean, to be fair, we haven't seen the messages she received. I wouldn't be surprised if people that think this kind of behavior is okay go hand & hand with people that would use race driven dribble. Trolling, serious, or otherwise. I think the picture she left was unnecessary, but I also feel like it's pretty telling, assuming it got to her emotions, etc. Which, yeah, looks like it all did.

I also don't know if it's fair to say that's THE reason. Folks mentioned the previous Ada VA is now unioned apparently, and Capcom didn't want to work with unioned VAs. So, I'm sure they only had so many actresses to choose from. Plus she was also Ada in the last RE movie, so I guess there could be a reason why they went with her there too. Who knows?

I still don't think anyone should be toxically bashed or harassed over something like this whatsoever. It's funny that people don't know that voice directors exist. As if VAs just do their lines, deliver whatever they deliver, and that's put in the game, lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom