• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ada Wong's new VA gets thousands of hate comments, disables Instagram comments

jaysius

Banned
I mean, to be fair, we haven't seen the messages she received. I wouldn't be surprised if people that think this kind of behavior is okay go hand & hand with people that would use race driven dribble. Trolling, serious, or otherwise. I think the picture she left was unnecessary, but I also feel like it's pretty telling, assuming it got to her emotions, etc. Which, yeah, looks like it all did.

I also don't know if it's fair to say that's THE reason. Folks mentioned the previous Ada VA is now unioned apparently, and Capcom didn't want to work with unioned VAs. So, I'm sure they only had so many actresses to choose from. Plus she was also Ada in the last RE movie, so I guess there could be a reason why they went with her there too. Who knows?

I still don't think anyone should be toxically bashed or harassed over something like this whatsoever. It's funny that people don't know that voice directors exist. As if VAs just do their lines, deliver whatever they deliver, and that's put in the game, lol.
Well that voice director should be fucking fired. There's also a point where a director has to give up and just let things flop because there's no way to get juice out of a turnip sometimes.

It's still Capcom's fault.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Some people are the worst. I also not in the camp who likes this change in the voice, but so what? I'm sure they had their reasons for that.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Either way (her or the older voice) someone won’t be happy about it.

The only thing i am shocked is that to be unionised is a problem.

cireza

Banned
7n2dZ4b.jpg
But but but... you were paying for these almighty additional chips !

Now you are playing with Power

(except that KI and DKC didn't have any).

Still I'd rather pay these prices for DKC or KI than 70$ for the vast majority of modern games.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

So I've been hearing people say in the past that AI voice making needs a lot of memory and can't be easily done or something. Is this true? I mean, this is literally the best modding tool ever. I can't imagine what people will do in Elder Scrolls VI with this - they will have NPCs speaking with the VAs voices, or even real actors.

MiguelItUp

Well that voice director should be fucking fired. There's also a point where a director has to give up and just let things flop because there's no way to get juice out of a turnip sometimes.

It's still Capcom's fault.
Eh, I personally think that's a bit harsh. Especially since same director is usually responsible for every other actor/actress, and people didn't feel the same about the other performances. I say people because honestly, her performance didn't bother me. If it did, it was the smallest irk. Her Ada felt dead pan and cold, and I think that's what they were going for. Especially considering everyone else's performance. I understand from RER2 to 4, the difference is astounding. But it's different actresses, and most likely different vocal directors too.

Yeah, I mean, at some point a director has to make a choice. Especially if the takes aren't getting any "better."

I suppose. I just have a hard time considering this whole ordeal anyone's "fault", it's just a thing that happened, and that's it. The whole thing is a massive overreaction IMO. Especially considering how great the game is.

Last edited:

Jada_Li

Banned
the whole ethnicity matching is so stupid, it just means you might never truly get the best possible voice.
Exactly.

Regardless, Ada's new voice did take me time getting adjusted to, but it's still a good fit for her character. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism but when people start getting to be entitled derrière's and think it's okay behavior to lash out at someone because they don't like the voice acting goes to further show what kind of messed up world we live in. Good grief.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Fans who do this are lame. Never understood flash mob hate campaigns.

That being said, she really does need to work on her vocal delivery. She was pretty awful in the 30 seconds she was in WTRC and her voice is just as boring/bland in the game.

MiguelItUp

the whole ethnicity matching is so stupid, it just means you might never truly get the best possible voice.
I agree, but that's the world we apparently live in now. It really limits the amount of actresses and actors that are available when needed. Along with the whole union/non-union thing.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I agree, but that's the world we apparently live in now. It really limits the amount of actresses and actors that are available when needed. Along with the whole union/non-union thing.
Its so dumb too cause it's like, are we supposed to now acknowledge potential dialects/accents and focus on them? Cause I'm pretty sure that could get damn awkward really fast. Lmfao. None of this is surprising considering the people who label everyone as filthy racists are also open advocates for modern segregation. It's all so incredibly dumb. 😭😅

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Its so dumb too cause it's like, are we supposed to now acknowledge potential dialects/accents and focus on them? Cause I'm pretty sure that could get damn awkward really fast. Lmfao. None of this is surprising considering the people who label everyone as filthy racists are also open advocates for modern segregation. It's all so incredibly dumb. 😭😅
Yeah, I never understood any of it. I mean, of course in any situation if you could get an amazing actor or actress and they're the same ethnicity as the character, I always thought it was neat. But much like the forced diverse hiring, no one should be handed a role. It should be whoever does/fits the performance best IMO.

Emedan

Wow, was gonna go in here and say how idiotic and cringe it is to attack a VA for a performance - then I saw that stupid ass update, fuck her.

So I've been hearing people say in the past that AI voice making needs a lot of memory and can't be easily done or something. Is this true? I mean, this is literally the best modding tool ever. I can't imagine what people will do in Elder Scrolls VI with this - they will have NPCs speaking with the VAs voices, or even real actors.
Yeah, it will be huge for modding. There's already a mod for Fallout 4 that expands the main character dialogue options using AI.

Unfortunately the mod author just removed the voiced lines. The Nora VA doesn't want her voice used in mods like this. So the mod author obliged and removed all voice lines added by the mod.

Nickolaidas

Yeah, it will be huge for modding. There's already a mod for Fallout 4 that expands the main character dialogue options using AI.

Unfortunately the mod author just removed the voiced lines. The Nora VA doesn't want her voice used in mods like this. So the mod author obliged and removed all voice lines added by the mod.

Well, there goes my dream for a great flower girls mod with expanded dialogue for Aela.

Exactly.

Regardless, Ada's new voice did take me time getting adjusted to, but it's still a good fit for her character. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism but when people start getting to be entitled derrière's and think it's okay behavior to lash out at someone because they don't like the voice acting goes to further show what kind of messed up world we live in. Good grief.

On top of that, let's not forget perhaps his best video game role:

As far as Lily Gao as Ada Wong, woof that voice direction and resulting performance is not great. Anyone else reminded of how they made Samus sound in Metroid: Other M?

Bkdk

Jolene joined a Union and CAPCOM decided to go non-union. Glad Capcom go non union, otherwise every game will take 10 years to develop with constant union strikes within the company.

I never understand this kind of thing.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with criticism, particularly of a performance. You don't have to like the work people do. Personally, I found her to be a major downgrade from RE2R's voice actress. I still think they did her wrong by not allowing her to continue the role.
Having said that, I don't get why people take their displeasure to the actor/actresses themselves. You can dislike something without being little psychopaths.

Another thing that grinds my gears is when a person who was critical changes their tune once a controversy pops up. It's okay to stick to your guns on an opinion, you aren't automatically grouped with deranged people just because your view isn't overwhelmingly positive. Have a backbone.

Last edited:

Eimran

People are idiots. This reminds me of lunatics who sent Jack Gleeson death threaths.

But with that said, her performance was extreme poor. It was bland and she obviously just read from a script and instead of giving excuses she should just improve on her voice acting.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The RE4R voice sucks. RE4 Original and RE2R reign supreme.

As a gamer I don't give a rat's ass about Union/Non-Union company clauses.

If you want to use someone else that's fine. Re-shoot the voice until you get a good match.

Ada sounding like someone that's just reading the script with no emotion behind it and sounds badly processed is some bad acting. Belongs in a Dynasty Warriors or Suikoden game.

The voice going from RE2R and RE4R sound like two different people.

---------------

Criticism on a performance is good. Blind hate because actress ruined the good name of your fictional waifu is not.

---------------

Last thing. With AI mods I think that is going to be the future and unfortunately a lot of people are going to hate it. Machines can now mass produce amazing art in seconds, voices of other people are being replicated to the point where actual VA's like in Fallout above are disgusted by a machine replicating their voice perfectly. With the voice AI it's actually rather interesting tech to me. AI is coming quite far in that regard from Microsoft SAM, voice changers and as well as Vocaloids getting full voices developed from the original soundbytes of a person.

I can easily see a future where a person can sign an agreement to allow the use of their voice in various different projects and be paid royalties when AI to replicate is used. But of course you run into the fear of who actually voiced this character? The real deal or an AI?

Last edited:

Tams

to hire actors of the same ethnicities as the characters

[]

Nobody gives a fuck about your ethnicity If you do a good job.

Oh, but some do. Very much.

Often without a thought about whether you care about the role your ethnicity played in it or not. It's all about virtue signalling.

Hestar69

she posted a new IG post and OF COURSE said people just hate her because she's asian/made it racial..

These people are fucking idiots. No one hates you because your asian,it's because your VA was awful!

always remember to blame the evil white people!

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I actually love how dumb it is.

I had all but forgotten about the whole cloning ada craziness lmao
Same. For me the game gets unbearable to play after a while but man, the sheer ridiculousness of the game makes it really entertaining for a while. I like to use the stamina and melee perks and treat it like a beat em up.

Neff

I'm on my third run of the game now and she really isn't that bad. Certainly the flattest performance of the game and the weakest Ada thus far but it doesn't particularly contradict a character known for her aloof, untrustworthy, indifferent monotone throughout the series (Carla Radames notwithstanding).

I actually love how dumb it is.

It's brilliant and I'll never stop loving/defending it.

Lily Gao is so horrendous as Ada that her voice physically hurts me. But that is not an excuse to harass the woman. Capcom is to blame, not Lily. The woman didn't hold the Capcom offices hostage at gunpoint until she got the part, she auditioned and was hired. Direct your respectful criticisms and disappointment at Capcom and leave Lily alone she is not to blame.

Kdad

Bumping this because someone made an AI voice mod that sounds like the original actress.

We're at the point where AI is out-acting real live voice actors...

Are the makers of the mod going to compensate the original actor for training off their voice? If the game developer did this there would be riots but its ok cause ... 'modders'.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I made a search and this is the first I found:

First things first, it's not like there was ever much consistency to begin with, given than several actresses had the role over the years.
Second, while admittedly this is a small sample, she doesn't sound particularly better or worse than most of them in this clip.

After watching that I agree. The remake4 actress is no better or worse than the rest.

Shes hot though.

Kdad

I kinda understand where you're coming from, but it's a free mod. No one is profiting from this.
Do the existence of mods not enhance the attractiveness of the product and therefore, it can be implied that there may be more sales of the product than otherwise. If the 'modders' are not profiting, the publisher still will be .... they avoid paying/beign responsile by shifting the AI work to modders - that doesn't seem right either. Perhaps publishers/developers will need to clamp down on how mods are run and where they can be obtained in order to ensure they are not being enriched by what seems to be questionable use of an actors voice. It seems that a new problem may open up due to AI here.

OCASM

Banned

Blackage

Drizzlehell

Banned
she posted a new IG post and OF COURSE said people just hate her because she's asian/made it racial..

These people are fucking idiots. No one hates you because your asian,it's because your VA was awful!

always remember to blame the evil white people!
On the other hand, only gamers are pathetic enough to make such a thing personal and attack her for it. Any normal level-headed adult would just say "huh, that voice acting is pretty bad" and moved on with their damn lives.

Gonna be watching these "fans" if some other outside voice actor playing a different race was "bad" and give them a Get-out-of-jail pass.

Will be *watching* you GAF.

CuNi

On the other hand, only gamers are pathetic enough to make such a thing personal and attack her for it. Any normal level-headed adult would just say "huh, that voice acting is pretty bad" and moved on with their damn lives.

If you think just gamers have this issue, you must not consume much media outside of gaming.

Basically every media type has a small but extremely toxic group that goes way and beyond to make themselves heard.
Gaming has them, as evident by this thread, music (try to criticize any big musician and watch their fan base come after your ass), movie stars.. Hell even streamers nowadays.

Obviously that doesn't excuse it and thankfully most people with a working brain in their head will either just shrug it off or post their critique once, which is totally valid to do, and then move on, instead of hunting down the people they think are to blame.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
If you think just gamers have this issue, you must not consume much media outside of gaming.

Basically every media type has a small but extremely toxic group that goes way and beyond to make themselves heard.
Gaming has them, as evident by this thread, music (try to criticize any big musician and watch their fan base come after your ass), movie stars.. Hell even streamers nowadays.

Obviously that doesn't excuse it and thankfully most people with a working brain in their head will either just shrug it off or post their critique once, which is totally valid to do, and then move on, instead of hunting down the people they think are to blame.
Yeah, fair enough. Some people are just dummies in general, regardless of the medium.

Top Bottom