• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adult Swim News - Stroker and Hoop, Venture Bros. joining lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matlock

Banned
Stroker and Hoop looks like a...I dunno, cop buddy show from the art in the first ads? Strangely, the ad for the pilot that was just on had a woman with pasties and tassels firing a machine gun for about 30 seconds...uh...

So yeah, looks weird.

Venture Bros., however, is the badass Johnny Quest on crack cartoon made by the guy behind the Tick cartoon. I liked the ep they had a few months ago, but now it looks like it'll be a regular with some great action. Rock!

Next Sunday - Stroker and Hoop - 11:30
August 7 - Venture Bros. - 11

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I think I remember hating Venture Bros. I remember hating most of the one shot adult swim originals.

edit: Also, Stroker and Hoop replacing Sealab and Birdman while Baby Blues stays on the air is NOT COOL.

Gribbix

I really liked that one episode of Venture Bros from a while back. Although Christopher McCulloch, writer/director of Venture Bros, didn't create the Tick, he was just one of the writers for the show. Ben Edlund created the Tick.

Matlock

Banned
Gribbix said:
I really liked that one episode of Venture Bros from a while back. Although Christopher McCulloch, writer/director of Venture Bros, didn't create the Tick, he was just one of the writers for the show. Ben Edlund created the Tick.

That's why I said "the cartoon." ;)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Just checked the schedule, stroker and hoop isn't regular (yet), it's just the pilot airing next week and then back to the normal sunday schedule.

I still do not support it bumping Birdman and Sealab, if only for one night.

Also, on an adult swim note, they've gone through Aqua Teen like three times now. I love the show, but they should have given sealab time on the nightly spot to lead up to the new episodes.

Gribbix

On the topic of Sealab, I've missed almost every new episode this season. How did they handle Murphy's character considering the guy who did his voice died? I've only seen one episode from the season and Murphy wasn't in it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The last episode of the last season had his replacement(I don't think they explained it, they just went along with a new captain). If you saw the episode with the football coach, that is the new captain.

Tamanon

Banned
He died fighting in some War supposedly:p Tornado Shanks is his replacement. And what a weird freakin' episode it was tonight!

Stroker and Hooper is like Starsky and Hutch with the KITT thrown in, there is probably more to the show than that, but thats all I got from the five or so minute clip i saw. The work in progress clip they showed at the SDCC was pretty funny I thought....

...also from SDCC, someone asked why Baby Blues is on, but not Obloongs, or something else. The director of Adult Swim (I think thats what he was) said that Baby Blues gets high ratings, which is why its on....he doesn't understand the appeal of the show, but they have to air it for the ratings.

The two episodes I have seen of the Venture Bros were pretty enjoyable...not as good as Sealab/ATHF, but still fun. Though, maybe its cause I used to watch a lot of Johnny Quest.

Since we're all talking Adult Swim, I'd like to toss in the last two Harvey Birdman's have had me rolling. When is that show going to get some DVD love?

I am pretty sure Harvey Birdman Vol 1 DVD comes out in February (along with Sealab Vol 2). Vol 3 of ATHF comes out this November too.

totoro'd

Baby Blues isn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

The Brak Show is a riot. Have they stopped making new Home Movies? I love it too.

xsarien

daedsiluap
...also from SDCC, someone asked why Baby Blues is on, but not Obloongs, or something else. The director of Adult Swim (I think thats what he was) said that Baby Blues gets high ratings, which is why its on....he doesn't understand the appeal of the show, but they have to air it for the ratings.

He should've just cut to the chase:

"'The Oblongs' is shit. Next?"

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Overcome with...opinions:

1.) Baby Blues is painful to watch. It's not funny at all.
2.) Home Movies was the best damned show they had (that wasn't merely syndicated, like Futurama or Family Guy). It was so different from the usual "Williams Street" humor (which isn't bad or anything...it just gets a little tiresome by the end of the Sunday night block).
3.) I remember seeing the Venture Bros. It sucked.
4.) Mission Hill and Oblongs both seem to get a lot of hate for some reason, but I don't mind either of them. They're not spectacular shows or anything, but I usually inwardly chuckle at least a few times per episode.
5.) Sealab will never be the same without Captain Murphy. :( R.I.P.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Baby Blues is watchable. It's, for the most part, completely harmless, but pretty damned generic as well. The Oblongs tries way too hard, and you can only set up so many episodes around "HUR HUR THEY'RE MUTANTS, GET IT?" before it gets stale.

Meh.

And yeah, Home Movies was fucking brilliant. I need DVDs.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
xsarien said:
Baby Blues is watchable. It's, for the most part, completely harmless, but pretty damned generic as well. The Oblongs tries way too hard, and you can only set up so many episodes around "HUR HUR THEY'RE MUTANTS, GET IT?" before it gets stale.
It's funny -- I feel just the opposite. I think Baby Blues is founded way too much on the "newborn parents" premise, so that almost every joke is mostly, "It's so hard having a new baby, and gee whiz, no one ever told us about this stuff!" The Oblongs is pretty generic in that it hasn't got much in the way of original character types, but every so often it throws me a bone (mostly everything Will Ferrell's character says is funny to me, probably because I think the "Leave It To Beaver" father archetype is hilarious...and he plays it so well, too).

xsarien said:
And yeah, Home Movies was fucking brilliant. I need DVDs.
Well, we're agreed on that one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom