• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp Review Thread + Overview Trailer

ThaGuy

Why does Nintendo insist on this severely restricted multiplayer functionality? I get that they want to be safe for the kids, but why not just have parental control mode?

This game is absolutely screaming for random matchmaking at the least. Ranked modes, automatic tournaments, asynchronous turns, more players, etc. so much potential squandered.

I’ll just wait for Warside. Total clone but new stuff for half the price.

I fully agree. I'm loving the game but not having any random matchmaking is crazy. Like I hate how random some games are that Nintendo makes with online. Some games are full of features and then some are bare bones.

DKPOWPOW

Why does Nintendo insist on this severely restricted multiplayer functionality? I get that they want to be safe for the kids, but why not just have parental control mode?

This game is absolutely screaming for random matchmaking at the least. Ranked modes, automatic tournaments, asynchronous turns, more players, etc. so much potential squandered.

I’ll just wait for Warside. Total clone but new stuff for half the price.
So how does the online work? Is it just friends only?

I was looking forward to this game, as I never played Advance Wars (I did beat Battalion Wars on GameCube though, that was a fun game back in the day).

But a nerfed online mode on a $60 game seems like a gip.

Corian33

So how does the online work? Is it just friends only?

I was looking forward to this game, as I never played Advance Wars (I did beat Battalion Wars on GameCube though, that was a fun game back in the day).

But a nerfed online mode on a $60 game seems like a gip.

Yes, that is what was said in the reviews. 1v1 using friend codes is the only way to play online. At the very least they could do random matchmaking with zero communication.

flying_sq

The originals, release on IOS and Android with online MP would be great. Looking forward to playing these, but I would really like a rerelease of the OG.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It feels like you get your money's worth. On mission 7. Says I'm 15% through just part 1. The War Room has like 30 extra maps already as well. Then all of part 2.

ADiTAR

Banned
I like it. I think I'm bad at it, I keep getting Bs, I want an A or an S. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I'm trying my best. I think the game is not intuitive, maybe it's me.

I'll try to be better and hopefully the strategy will click.

The look is awful, the UI is childish, etc. I don't understand why they couldn't modernize the look a bit.

I bought the game and am loving it. I have the ds dual strike and days of ruin, never played the originals.

Don't understand the issue with the visuals. I think it looks great. Would I liked to have a toggle button Ala diablo 2/dq11 to go og pixel, yes that would of been amazing, but even without it the game is a blast. It's also hard. I don't remember the ds game being this tough out the gate.

I got this and dead island 2 and loving both. Between this and everspace 2 and re4 release it's been crazy good time.

Also really glad this came out. Only game like this is Tiny metal which was overwhelming and boring at times. And wargoove is woke so I won't support that company.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
I've played a bit since yesterday and have been enjoying it. I'm typically not great at strategy games, but I have fond memories of passing a single GBA between myself and three friends in my throw-away elective class in high school. I think this is an excellent remake. Gameplay is still great, and the campaign is pretty challenging if you're trying to do well (just entered Blue Moon territory and have only had one A, and the rest have been S).

I understand that some people are too cool for the visuals, but I think they're fine. Nothing amazing, obviously, but I don't think they're bad at all. Great audio as well.

Woopah

I bought the game and am loving it. I have the ds dual strike and days of ruin, never played the originals.

Don't understand the issue with the visuals. I think it looks great. Would I liked to have a toggle button Ala diablo 2/dq11 to go og pixel, yes that would of been amazing, but even without it the game is a blast. It's also hard. I don't remember the ds game being this tough out the gate.

I got this and dead island 2 and loving both. Between this and everspace 2 and re4 release it's been crazy good time.

Also really glad this came out. Only game like this is Tiny metal which was overwhelming and boring at times. And wargoove is woke so I won't support that company.
What is woke about Wargroove?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Mission 9 was a full on war of attrition. Forgot how much this hits a completely different srpg itch than Tactics, or Fire Emblem. You're constantly worrying about capturing territory to increase your funds so you can make units fast enough to replenish what you strategically sacrifice. The indirect fire units are just cool to use to hold defensive positions. I finally saw the full worth of the troops as well, can be deployed from the mountains at choke points and do decent damage to tanks but cost much less to make more when you burn through casualties.

On mission 10 now. I hear its very tough.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Mission 9 was a full on war of attrition. Forgot how much this hits a completely different srpg itch than Tactics, or Fire Emblem. You're constantly worrying about capturing territory to increase your funds so you can make units fast enough to replenish what you strategically sacrifice. The indirect fire units are just cool to use to hold defensive positions. I finally saw the full worth of the troops as well, can be deployed from the mountains at choke points and do decent damage to tanks but cost much less to make more when you burn through casualties.

On mission 10 now. I hear its very tough.
Fog of War wasn’t bad. I had like two tanks get destroyed from missile fires. Once you clear the map, just send a chopper for that corner. That was intimidating at first. I’m starting mission 9. Looking forward to mission 10 now.

Update:
Finished 9, 29 rounds and it came down to sacrifice. When I hear the word “attrition” I think back on TitanFall.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

Banned
It's really addictive in a way. It's really smart. It's really ugly.

I got A's on my last two missions, I'm sorta cheating because I keep resetting and rethinking. But that's also a form of strategy.

I don't understand why they didn't assign buttons to these: End turn (Y), Resent turn (Joystick press), Yield (Pressing both shoulder button, whatever). Why do I need to go inside a menu, I get it used to be a GBA game, but come on. I also don't get why I have no idea how much damage my unit will cause, maybe I'm missing something, and why there isn't full details on each unit and what it can hit when I hover over it.

The game is so ugly, god, when it was revealed I was like oh cute. Now it's just no, really could have given it some charm, this looks cheap.

ThaGuy

I got A's on my last two missions, I'm sorta cheating because I keep resetting and rethinking. But that's also a form of strategy.

I don't understand why they didn't assign buttons to these: End turn (Y), Resent turn (Joystick press), Yield (Pressing both shoulder button, whatever). Why do I need to go inside a menu, I get it used to be a GBA game, but come on. I also don't get why I have no idea how much damage my unit will cause, maybe I'm missing something, and why there isn't full details on each unit and what it can hit when I hover over it.

The game is so ugly, god, when it was revealed I was like oh cute. Now it's just no, really could have given it some charm, this looks cheap.

When you click on the unit you're about to attack, there's a percentage that shows up and that determines how much damage you do. Then it varies depending on the terrain and all that. So if you attack a unit on the mountain, it won't be high damage cause they have the advantage.

If you go into the training part they explain it a bit better. It's something you really need to know and gives an advantage when possible.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

The UI does leave some room for improvement. But as said above you look for the percentage and that is percentage of their max life you do in damage. If someone is at 3 HP and your attack says 40% damage that is 4 damage. Defense shows up as stars based on terrain type. Movement shows up for enemy units if you hit A on them. Firing range you have to hit R and look at manually and count spaces for the enemy.

ADiTAR

Banned
When you click on the unit you're about to attack, there's a percentage that shows up and that determines how much damage you do. Then it varies depending on the terrain and all that. So if you attack a unit on the mountain, it won't be high damage cause they have the advantage.

If you go into the training part they explain it a bit better. It's something you really need to know and gives an advantage when possible.
The UI does leave some room for improvement. But as said above you look for the percentage and that is percentage of their max life you do in damage. If someone is at 3 HP and your attack says 40% damage that is 4 damage. Defense shows up as stars based on terrain type. Movement shows up for enemy units if you hit A on them. Firing range you have to hit R and look at manually and count spaces for the enemy.
I know that can click on an enemy unit and get how much damage they can do, I know about terrain defense, but I think the game should have more ability to understand what each unit can do. It's just missing something I can't put my finger on it.

But I am enjoying it. It's really hard, I failed the first mission many times, and I was, Nintendo?!

TexMex

Spent a fair amount of time this weekend. Really like it. Again I think the visuals are perfectly serviceable. Like any strategy game it’s most important that they are readable over impressive.

I agree with the post about that it could stand to have some QoL updates. I like the point about being able to use a specific button to end a turn instead of the menu.

I’ve never played Advance Wars 2, only 1 and Dual Strike. Excited to check that out.

I assume the online play won’t be long for this world, so want to check that out too, though I highly doubt I can hang.

Corian33

Okay, so just to shame Nintendo even further about the multiplayer. I just discovered Advance Wars by Web. It’s everything multiplayer from Advance Wars with:
Ranked Leagues
Custom Maps
Tournaments
Supports up to 16 players.
Asynchronous Turns
Spectator Mode
Match Replays
Works on any browser including mobile.
Is Free

Soooo, yeah. I’m not sure how many active players there are, but currently there are 65 lobbies open to join, so it’s a lot.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
God is Hachi the WORST character ever made? No I don't want to visit your store to look at new music tracks!
hey fuck you man!
look at my new music tracks

game is amazing the graphics grew on me. it's not the mobile shit tier i thought at reveal,
the online lol
nintendo just stop adding shit like this.

bender bender when it all moves it's alright

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The sprite work of the original is more iconic, but if I had them side by side I'd probably choose to still play the new one. It honestly looks pretty close to the original.

images

Only thing I'd say is they could stand to improve the menus. Could even put in sprite art on loading screens or other tiny little touches to help push it over the edge. What's here though looks pretty awesome most of the time, and plays great. I'd take a part 3 like this no problem.

DKPOWPOW

Yes, that is what was said in the reviews. 1v1 using friend codes is the only way to play online. At the very least they could do random matchmaking with zero communication.
That is whack. $60 for a remake with no matchmaking. WTF Nintendo. Take a card from Mario Kart 8. I don’t understand why they can always nail that series online, but struggle with so many others.

mcjmetroid

Having a really good time with this but the art is so fucking bad. Maybe it is time to open my Analogue Pocket.
I didn't like it in the videos but previews kept saying it was clean and crisp and clear on the smaller screen.... I really don't think so myself either.

As I said before these are excellent games held hostage by a low budget remake and it deserved much more.

I have criticisms of Fire Emblem Engage as well but one thing I can't say against it is that it's low budget or it didn't have effort put into it. Fire Emblem is just plagued by weird decisions.
It's rather jarring going from a game that really tries.... to this which is doing the bare minimum to get by and the bare minimum it does do is questionable. Everything that's been added is questionable: graphics style, voice acting, online play.. that's a bad remake to me.

Both Fire emblem engage and advance wars reboot games are sold for the same price. Advance Wars should have been the same price as Metroid Prime remaster in my opinion.

I'm finishing engage properly before I start this properly and maybe it'll win me over but so far I'm disappointed and I went in with low enough expectations.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I'd be more excited for this if it included the original sprites.

I agree. This game looks like ass compared to the original version which I already replayed on TV using a Wii like 10 years ago. I'm actually pissed because with Castlevania GBA Collection the Switch could have repped my favorite GBA games on its own but I just can't pay $60 for the same game but worse looking

ParaSeoul

Its funny wayforward used to have really good sprites and pixel art,look at the previous shanties games and now they just do this weird soulless look. Even river city girls looks underwhelming,did they fire their old art team?

Cashon

Banned
I haven't played a Fire Emblem game since Shadows of Valencia, and I'm only on Mission 15 in this game, but I currently vastly prefer this over the Fire Emblem games that I've played. Though those Fire Emblem game definitely had some great gameplay, the overall package feels designed for those weirdos who put anime women all over their cars. Target audience aside, I enjoy the resource management and CO powers layers that Advance Wars throws in on top of the combat strategy. And I like that the story is sparse and not melodramatic.

Lol you don't need to do this man. Holding 'B' on top of any enemy unit shows their firing range -- this is so critical to the game.

ADiTAR

Banned
I'm still all over the place, is everyone yielding in fog of war matches or resetting their turn to do better?

ADiTAR

Banned
Uh, yeah. Big time.

Not because I'm going to lose though; I just don't want to win with a poor ranking.
Yeah, I mean there was one mission with Sami against the green army that I had to redo so many times.

This ain't your mama's Nintendo game. It's tough.

ADiTAR

Banned
Tho I sometimes play the game on mute, I think the music is mostly the same, what kind of new music is Hachi offering?

ADiTAR

Banned
There's a few softer, non-action remixes of CO themes.
I'm at the, what I think is, the last boss battle. Pretty cool.

Gameplay is great, smart, hard but fair.

The art style is really awful, I don't know what they were thinking, the menu, the look, even the interstitials of CO powers are so basic low-effort. I don't get it tbh. Could also have used QoL improvements like pulling out the onto the screen and assign buttons for stuff. I said it already, but it gripes me still.

God is Hachi the WORST character ever made? No I don't want to visit your store to look at new music tracks!
Worst part is the music is only in his menu. It would be different if you could make Playlist or shit just play the tracks during gameplay. Who actually sits and listens to gba midi for fun?

I never used this sound test menus or rooms. I hope he gives legit rewards not just artwork and music.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think I got wasted on mission 16 last night. Definitely need to restart. Starting to demand very coordinated timing on using land, sea and air units. There really is nothing like this game. I really forgot how good it is.

ADiTAR

Banned
Just finished the first one. The last battle, I dunno, maybe I chose wrong, I did the guy who can double turn and the golden army I think. It was long, and I got a D. I think I'll just move to the next game. It just felt out of balance all of a sudden.

Top Bottom