• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Games Thread 2021 - The Future of Fine Leather Jackets

jacksp

Neo Member

Out now. Had it on my wishlist for ages. If u guys try it lemme know if its good. I have much stuff to play to dive in.
Tried it briefly, it's really bad IMHO.

The acting, the interactions, the gameplay... Most irritating thing: When there's a character with you and you both witness something, you have to talk to him to tell him "hey, you saw that" instead of it happening automatically, which should be obvious..

Another thing, lines of dialogue look like they were thought to be chosen in order, so if a character asks you something, you can totally digress and you talk about something completely unrelated and then if you choose the answer to the initial question it looks and sounds so weird, people wouldn't talk like that at all.

Maybe I'll pick it up again some other time, maybe never.

Last edited:
Tried it briefly, it's really bad IMHO.

The acting, the interactions, the gameplay... Most irritating thing: When there's a character with you and you both witness something, you have to talk to him to tell him "hey, you saw that" instead of it happening automatically, which should be obvious..

Another thing, lines of dialogue look like they were thought to be chosen in order, so if a character asks you something, you can totally digress and you talk about something completely unrelated and then if you choose the answer to the initial question it looks and sounds so weird, people wouldn't talk like that at all.

Maybe I'll pick it up again some other time, maybe never.

Any puzzles? Or just story?

dok1or

I love game...
Sound, music and locations are great!
I am interested in mystic stoy.
You can finish it in an hour....

51637929518_8cd4ab5dcd_h.jpg

Last edited:
I love game...
Sound, music and locations are great!
I am interested in mystic stoy.
You can finish it in an hour....

51637929518_8cd4ab5dcd_h.jpg

wut? the devs said its 20hours. are you sure you're not playing the demo?

anyway looking at some thoughts it looks heavy dialogue point and click and not much else and since the voice acting/dialogues are pretty bad it has not much else to offer. Damn it.

Last edited:

dok1or

Yes you can finish it! Its an option in conversation on this town square
I love story and dialogue...

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I only played the demo but, and it pains me to say this, I wasn't impressed. Dialogues and story construction were really weird - and not in a good way, they felt random and "out of tune", like, for example, the characters' illogical/extreme reactions to events and dialogues. The mistery in itself was interesting, though, and visually is pleasant enough and creepy in the right way. Not impressed by the puzzles either. Again, I only played the demo back then.

Anyway, just found out this:
Looks quite interesting, but as it doesn't show any gameplay (a mix of turn combat and investigation, apparently) I'm still skeptic.

Last edited:
Where da fuk are my classic point and click adventure games with puzzles and shit. FFS. I dont think I played any single one this year.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz
Strangeland was really good, but also has a very particular vibe writing wise that likely wont resonate for some people. A lot of the other games were a let down. Couldn't get into Encodya and 12 Minutes wasn't a bad game but it wasn't as good as I'd hoped for either.

Impressions I've seen for Saint Kotar aren't looking terrific. I'll likely give it a shot but if it's actually one hour long probably not.

Strangeland was really good, but also has a very particular vibe writing wise that likely wont resonate for some people. A lot of the other games were a let down. Couldn't get into Encodya and 12 Minutes wasn't a bad game but it wasn't as good as I'd hoped for either.

Impressions I've seen for Saint Kotar aren't looking terrific. I'll likely give it a shot but if it's actually one hour long probably not.

Yeah Strangeland is most likely good but not exactly what I want atm. I'll play it but well you know what Im looking for and this year gave me nothing. Every game that resembled the classics turned out to be bad games and had to remove from my wishlist. Saint Kotar seems to be in that basket as well. Even that Cyanide and Happiness was a fucking scam. Everything else is sitting in my wishlist with no news and who knows if they'll ever see the light of day lol. Actually Mutropolis was the only one I played this year in the genre I want but it was okay I guess.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Yeah Strangeland is most likely good but not exactly what I want atm. I'll play it but well you know what Im looking for and this year gave me nothing. Every game that resembled the classics turned out to be bad games and had to remove from my wishlist. Saint Kotar seems to be in that basket as well. Even that Cyanide and Happiness was a fucking scam. Everything else is sitting in my wishlist with no news and who knows if they'll ever see the light of day lol. Actually Mutropolis was the only one I played this year in the genre I want but it was okay I guess.
Just started this:
It's free, and although the characters have that style I bloody hate I'm find it quite interesting. Again, I just started.
Otherwise, you could look back to the past and play some oldie you missed. You never go wrong with those.

EDIT: The interface sucks major ass.

Last edited:
Just started this:
It's free, and although the characters have that style I bloody hate I'm find it quite interesting. Again, I just started.
Otherwise, you could look back to the past and play some oldie you missed. You never go wrong with those.

I think I have it on my wishlist the full game. No idea when its coming out. Havent tried the prologue yet.

Sometimes it takes a nightmare to wake a place like Dahlia View.
Lead the investigation into a missing child and discover the dark secret of Dahlia View in this story-driven observational thriller from the creators of The Occupation and Ether One.

CTA.gif

Conway: Disappearance at Dahlia View is a gripping observational thriller set in 1950s England. When 8-year-old Charlotte May is reported missing from Dahlia View, retired detective Robert Conway searches for the truth behind her disappearance, observing his neighbours from his apartment window and questioning their behaviour. As suspicions escalate, Conway launches his own investigation into Charlotte May’s disappearance, following leads, uncovering new evidence and piecing the case together on an unpredictable path to the truth.

GAME FEATURES:​

• Experience a tense and emotional story in an all-new detective thriller from White Paper Games, the creators of The Occupation and Ether One.

Feature_2.gif

• Explore Dahlia View, solve puzzles and investigate residents to discover new evidence, profile suspects and piece together your investigation.

Drain2.gif

• Lead the investigation into a missing person as Robert Conway, a retired detective living in Dahlia View.

board.gif

• Observe the actions of Dahlia View’s residents to uncover clues, study suspicious behaviour and gain new leads.

Feature_3.gif

Mystery adventure game "Conway: Dissapearence at Dhalia View" is out today. You play as a retired detective observing the details of a young girl's disappearance unfold from his apartment window. The concept reminds me of last year's "The Flower Collectors" but this game seems like an overall much better stab at it. I like what I'm seeing from the tone and presentation, hoping there is some depth to the puzzle & mystery solving aspect as well.

Fuz

Banned
Just started this:

EDIT: The interface sucks major ass.
Oh wow, about this game.

There is only an autosave slot.
I finished the prologue.
The game deleted that autosave.

Trash.

Metaphobia

It's a free point and click adventure game about a guy investigating the death of his politician father. It has decent voice acting and some puzzles, so far it keeps me playing, but I have more or less just started..

Played this last year-ish... I think? I thought it was pretty neat. I really liked the look of the graphics and rotoscoped character animation. Some of the puzzles were a off, not in the sense of being frustrating, but clashing with the plot. The disguise puzzle where the main character uses paint brush bristles for a moustache and stricks it to his face with sludge from evaporated coffee was especially odd IMO. Particularly because he does so much suspicious shit right in front of the person he's trying to get past.

Besides a few moments like that, though, I had fun with it and it's a much better game than you'd expect to get for free.

Yeah, so any chance of me playing Saint Kotar just dive-bombed out the window after I decided to read through impressions on the Adventure Gamers thread. Not because the overwhelming sentiment from ppl with 5+ hours in was negative, but because one of the three main Devs of the game literally threatens to sue a poster for being skeptical about Steam reviews (that from his perspective went missing) and criticizing the game.

Posts from the user "JDawg 445" about the reviews:
I will say this when the game launched there was like five negative reviews back to back on steam, now they’re all gone hmmmm.

On one of the negative reviews the developer responded by saying something like, sorry for offending your Catholic sensibilities. For the record in the posters review it never mentioned anything about being a Catholic lol. Odd behavior.

This is the last post I’m going to make on review gate. The game on Steam has 26 reviews a couple of the negative ones magically turned positive or vanishe. maybe their experience improved as they played, but you can also see the Devs artificially inflating the thumbs-up reviews. One positive review has 60 something hours as a play time. That’s quite amazing considering the game just came out like two days ago. So either it’s a dev posting a review or a beta tester posting review to try and pump up the numbers. it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure it out. I’m sure there are several people that liked the game but there’s also some tomfoolery going on.

Response from Saint Kotar dev:
Be careful when making these kind of serious accusations you’re making here. Yes, this is “just a forum”, but what you are doing here is playing with our reputation. Continue doing so and we might consider to take legal action. Be advised. I repeat, you may like the game, you may hate it, you may love or dislike it, whatever, but you can’t write stuff like that about us influencing people or pumping up numbers. It’s evil. And I repeat, each player has the right to his/her own opinion about the game. You have your own. End of story.
(full post)

Thing is, I actually saw the same thing the poster did. At some point on launch day there were like 6 or so reviews and let's say 5 of them were negative. Checked again some time later and only one of the negative reviews was still there. I don't know enough about the developer side of Steam to know why this would have possibly happened. I could easily imagine Steam has some automated filtration process that scrubs reviews it deems as spam or harassment, similar to YouTube's comment system. It could also be any other number of things I'm not aware of that don't implicate the devs in any way. This could have been easily clarified with class. Instead the response was frankly embarrassing. I can scarcely think of a worse way handle this situation than intimidating a forum poster with threat of legal action because they were suspicious of missing reviews.

Still curious to know what anyone thinks of the game should they decide to play it, but this was enough for me to say "fuck it" completely. I think the devs should worry about the damage they're doing to their own reputation with strong-arm responses like this over anyone else.

Yeah, so any chance of me playing Saint Kotar just dive-bombed out the window after I decided to read through impressions on the Adventure Gamers thread. Not because the overwhelming sentiment from ppl with 5+ hours in was negative, but because one of the three main Devs of the game literally threatens to sue a poster for being skeptical about Steam reviews (that from his perspective went missing) and criticizing the game.

(full post)

Thing is, I actually saw the same thing the poster did. At some point on launch day there were like 6 or so reviews and let's say 5 of them were negative. Checked again some time later and only one of the negative reviews was still there. I don't know enough about the developer side of Steam to know why this would have possibly happened. I could easily imagine Steam has some automated filtration process that scrubs reviews it deems as spam or harassment, similar to YouTube's comment system. It could also be any other number of things I'm not aware of that don't implicate the devs in any way. This could have been easily clarified with class. Instead the response was frankly embarrassing. I can scarcely think of a worse way handle this situation than intimidating a forum poster with threat of legal action because they were suspicious of missing reviews.

Still curious to know what anyone thinks of the game should they decide to play it, but this was enough for me to say "fuck it" completely. I think the devs should worry about the damage they're doing to their own reputation with strong-arm responses like this over anyone else.

There are many red flags. I specifically remember many years ago when I wishlisted that it would be something similar to Broken Sword games, with puzzles and lovely cast but more darker. Direct quote from the "CEO" of the game,
Saint Kotar draws inspiration from p&c classics like Broken Sword and Monkey Island (in terms of mechanics and gameplay)

Well that was a fucking lie. This is the only reason I remember wishlisting. I generally dont care about story only adventure games unless maybe they're visually appealing or higher budget like Life is Strange for example.

Fuz

Banned

(full post)

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here.
I've read that review and that answer a few days ago. The writer did mention something about christian themes in the game, although never said he was a christian.
The "sorry for offending your Catholic sensibilities" actually felt non-sarcastic to me. And maybe like it could have been some sort of "lost in translation" thing where the croatian dev failed to properly convey his feelings while translating from him native language. Dunno really, but I didn't get the impression it was malicious or antagonizing.
About the other issue... do devs have the power to delete negative reviews from steam? I really don't think that could be possible, and if so the problem would be much bigger than Saint Kotar - which is from a very small studio without the resources of other bigger publishers. Either I don't grasp something or it's quite unlikely to have happened. Which leads to... being accused of doing so is slander and he's right when he talks about their reputation. Said so, threatening legal action at first answer without a bit of diplomacy and mediation beforehand it's dumb, and uncalled for. But in their shoes I would have been pissed too.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here.
I've read that review and that answer a few days ago. The writer did mention something about christian themes in the game, although never said he was a christian.
The "sorry for offending your Catholic sensibilities" actually felt non-sarcastic to me. And maybe like it could have been some sort of "lost in translation" thing where the croatian dev failed to properly convey his feelings while translating from him native language. Dunno really, but I didn't get the impression it was malicious or antagonizing.
About the other issue... do devs have the power to delete negative reviews from steam? I really don't think that could be possible, and if so the problem would be much bigger than Saint Kotar - which is from a very small studio without the resources of other bigger publishers. Either I don't grasp something or it's quite unlikely to have happened. Which leads to... being accused of doing so is slander and he's right when he talks about their reputation. Said so, threatening legal action at first answer without a bit of diplomacy and mediation beforehand it's dumb, and uncalled for. But in their shoes I would have been pissed too.

Deleting reviews is not possible unless it breaks steam rules and even then steam doesnt technically delete it, it just gets flagged and does not show but still counts afaik. Manipulating reviews tho is an entirely different thing and that is a huge common practice on steam. I've been on one of those big review groups on steam and you have no idea how scammy it is, the free keys things, the make sure you post a positive unless its really bad and all that garbage. Not saying this is the case, but a lot of indie devs use those kind of groups to give free keys and boost the reviews of the game and the more reviews it has the more sales it will get. Also the fact that the dude said he fired that dev who commented and will sue him, is complete bullshit. No way anyone is that stupid.

IMO this is just clearly someone who should not be public facing fielding comments about their game. They even mentioned firing the co-dev responsible for the Christian comment and said they were close suing them. That combined with some overly long & defensive responses to criticism on the Steam forums paints a clear picture to me of someone who needs to fall back because they're having trouble handling the reaction.

6) the man who commented that terrible thing “Catholic feelings” was fired the next morning. He had zero incidents until then, but that single one was enough. Players must be heard, whether we agree with them or not. I’m also close to sue him.

As I mentioned in my initial post, I'm perfectly willing to grant that there's a genuine and innocent explanation for the review thing. In fact I'd go even further and would assume that's the case before anything. But that poster was seeing something they believed was suspicious and speculating to a degree that you should be able to handle without escalating the situation. Even if they're 100% wrong. In the legal sense, in an American context (I have no context for how defamation law works where the dev is from, so their understanding for this may be very different), libel is difficult to prove and this instance doesn't rise to any precedent I'm familiar with. In a moral sense, I do think the poster was being quick to assume fault from the dev. He should have been more careful with his language. But I also think 99% of people reading that would take it as an expression of someone's opinion/speculation and It seems like it was intended that way. So trying to intimidate them with a legal threat is not only a dick move but it actually backfires and makes you look more suspicious than anything.

As to whether or not it's even possible for this to have happened. I'd say it's possible but perhaps unlikely. Far as I can tell devs cannot delete reviews but there is a moderator option to flag them as abusive, having abusive language, off topic, or otherwise in violation at which point they might be removed by Steam Community Moderators or Valve.

Moderating Reviews​

We work hard to maintain Steam as a safe place for customers and developers, but we need your help in identifying cases of abuse, harassment, or violations of our terms. We ask that you flag cases where a review is inappropriate or where the reviewer is engaging in malicious practices.

Flagging Reviews​

There may be some cases where reviews contain inappropriate material, such as scams, harassment, or are otherwise abusive. They are also occasionally reviews that are entirely off-topic and don't relate to your product at all or that violate some Steam Guidelines. There are a couple of reasons why you may want to flag a review:
  • The review is abusive or contains abusive language.
  • The review is off-topic or not a review of the game, software, or the service.
  • The review violates one or more of the Rules and Guidelines For Steam: Discussions, Reviews, and User Generated Content.

Flagging should be reserved for clear-cut cases. When in doubt, you should allow users to down vote the review and use the report tool. In most cases, reviews that are off-topic won't be rated as helpful by customers and thus will not appear to many users.

To flag a review:
  1. Click the "Recommended" or "Not Recommended" headline of a review to open up the detail view of that review.
  2. You will find a orange section in the right-hand column for "moderator controls" where you will see a drop-down for flagging the review.
  3. Select "Abusive" if the review contains a scam, harassment, or is otherwise abusive to developers or users.
  4. Select "Off-Topic" only if the review doesn't relate to your product or the service you are providing. An example is if the review talks about ice cream instead of your strategy game.
  5. With either choice, you will get a confirmation dialogue. Then select "OK". Steam Community Moderators or Valve Employees will then review flagged reviews and delete or unflag as appropriate.

Did we get it wrong?​

If a review you flagged was marked as resolved by Valve's moderation team and you think we made a mistake, please contact us for more clarification.

Briefly describe the situation along with a link to the review in question. We're happy to take another look and provide more information on our decision.

I'd assume it's, at the very least, not impossible to abuse the flagging system to try and get otherwise legit reviews removed from being seen on your page because I don't know of a single big platform's flagging system that can't be abused sometimes. I really couldn't say with confidence since I don't know how reliable Steam's manual review process is. Or if it even is a real manual review and not just someone signing off on the algorithm's decision like with YouTube flagging. Again to be 100% clear, I wouldn't personally jump to the conclusion that the dev did anything shady. But I think ppl should be allowed to express their own skepticism or suspicion without those kinds of threats.

Missed this launch last week but the new Amanita Design (Machinarium, Botanicula, Samorost, etc) game is out now. Looks off-beat and creative in a way in the way many Amanita games are, but a good bit more disturbing this time around. Seems like it's worth trying if you're a fan of what these guys do.

Wish they made something similar to Machinarium and less easy nonsense stuff. I know there are a lot of fans of Amanita but I only truly liked Machinarium.

SweetShark

Missed this launch last week but the new Amanita Design (Machinarium, Botanicula, Samorost, etc) game is out now. Looks off-beat and creative in a way in the way many Amanita games are, but a good bit more disturbing this time around. Seems like it's worth trying if you're a fan of what these guys do.

I want to buy it, but I will admit I hesitate a little cause I saw the runtime of a full walkthrough is only 90-100 minutes.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Mine is definitely Great Ace Attorney, I can even safely say it surpassed first trilogy for me.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

I never thought they would release stuff like 428 or Detective Club in English, but here we are. If they don’t release Kamaitachi no Yoru eventually, the west will miss out. Now that’s a sound/visual novel that’s incredibly memorable for me.
A fan-translation of Kamaitachi no Yoru: Rinne Saisei released last month. https://projectkamai.com/
If something official is in the works, they better hurry up and announce it..

Last edited:
Re: the Saint Kotar drama: confirming, you can't remove negative reviews even if you wanted to; you can always leave a dev response but the guideline (and I think it make a lot of sense) is you should only do so responding punctually, like letting them know you'll fix something they are complaining about, clearing confusion or refuting baseless claims. It's not "influencing the reviewer" like someone maliciously is implying on those forums, and people do change their review sometimes, as they play more and warm up to the game, etc.

Not saying the criticism isn't warranted (and that legal threat was a big no-no, youch!), but releasing a game is damn stressful business, and the less people pile on devs with their nerves already stretched at the max, especially if the game they've been working on for years isn't doing that hot, the better for everyone.

In short, peace, love, and a bit more understanding for anyone daring to release games in this risky, risky genre 🙂

• Praise the Sun

GreenAlien

To Hell With The Ugly

Supposed to be a point and click adventure detective game with turn based battles, based on a book.

Inua - A Story in Ice and Time

You can find "ideas" and force them upon the characters.. then "travel through time" and see what chaos you have sowed... or something like that..
"Franklin's lost expedition" seems to play a major part in the story, judging from the trailer.

Last edited:

TripleSun

The whole Saint Kotar situation is rough. I had been following that game for years waiting for it to release and lots have said the demo was fantastic but when the game came out, it was nothing like the demo and turned out lackluster. And now the whole drama with the PR, welp.

Finished Mikagura Shoujo Tanteidan and it was a great game. The 3rd case was a bit slow but 4 and 5, which was a two parter, were the absolute the highlight of the game. Everyone is suspicious, tons of competing motivations, plenty of twists and turns (especially the last one) and a grisly ending that I'm almost surprised they committed to. The simple but effective Deduction Trigger Mechanic remains interesting throughout the entire game. Although, I do wish that the finale "conclusion" segments had some player input to them. But otherwise the game is a blast. I'll pray for a future where a fan translation exists so comparatively less insane English speakers can play it as well. I think any fan of Ace Attorney would get a kick out of Mikagura.

Fh9dnhB.png
orws3Ms.png
SJ9IwCg.png

I also began playing Conway: Disappearance at Dahlia View, I'm pretty early on in the game, but so far I'm into it. The visuals are very good overall, especially for a small studio. I've been impressed by how the scenes are lit and really impressed with the character designs. The game is definitely building its own cohesive atmosphere. Animation/lip sync can be a bit off at times but I've seen worse from bigger teams. Voice Acting has been consistently good across the board but the volume is all over the place. I've had to adjust my volume numerous times while playing because certain lines will be much quieter than others.

unknown.png
unknown.png

The story is that you're a retired private investigator named Conway who slept through the kidnapping of a young child across the street. You use your powers of observation with help of your camera to observe your neighbors and find out who is responsible. Conway has also made competing promises. A promise to his daughter (who's a cop working the case herself) to stay out of it and another to the victim's Father to find their missing child no matter what. Easy guess which promise Conway chooses to uphold but he figures so long as he (mostly) works from his apartment he isn't stepping on his Daughter's toes. I like the performance from the voice cast and Conway's actor especially does a good job of portraying an old pro who lets his sense of duty and curiosity get the better of him.

unknown.png
unknown.png

Not too much in the way of puzzles so far, but like I'm pretty early on (~45 minutes in) so the game is still introducing mechanics like taking photos, combining clues to make deductions, etc. We'll see how things progress. So far I'm enjoying how everything has kicked off.

So, I actually want to point out that just after the segment I mentioned, Conway's puzzle do ramp up considerably. It's got a mixture of traditional inventory/object puzzles and deduction based puzzles where you link evidence on a clue board. I especially like the clue board deductions because you actually have to link specific sections of evidence to a bigger idea to reach the right conclusion. So you're disinclined from brute forcing them. The more traditional stuff is most definitely appreciated, and solidly constructed, but not something I'd call challenging for a seasoned adventure gamer. Still, it's a cut above the level of interactivity you might expect from a modern fully 3D adventure like this and we'll see how things progress as I continue to play.

There's also an interesting "interrogation" mechanic (not sure if there's a proper name for it) where a list of keywords will compile in Conways mind as he's listening to some testimony and you get a choice of one to advance the conversation. So you've gatta hone in on the most relevant detail, which is interesting. I'm not sure if there's actually a punitive element to this but some of the info I gathered did appear as various cue cards on my clue board. I'm wondering if you get more/more relevant evidence to connect if you complete these sequences well.

Conway is definitely one of those games where you feel the tension of the scenario as your playing. There's a part where you're snooping through a neighbors apartment as they've stepped out. Despite the fact that I logically knew I was probably under no strict time pressure, I still felt a sense of urgency/panic as I rifled through their things for clues. To that end I wish Conway let you "roleplay" more effectively. I wish I had the option to place everything back how I found it, maybe even leading to branching paths based on how well I'd snooped. Probably asking a lot from a small studio who's already put together an ambitious package, but it'd be cool.

The one issue I do have is that the first lead Conway peruses is way too obviously shown to be a red herring in the initial parts of his investigation. So there has been that kind of disconnect that can happen in mystery games where the protagonist comes off as foolish for not putting together something that's relatively obvious to the player. Or at least that's how it happened with me. Still really enjoying the game looking forward to playing more later today.

Fuz

Banned
So, I played this:

Currently €3.49 on GOG.
Never heard of it before.
It's a very old style and definitely a small budget game. Bad interface - just a drop down menu on right click, but better than some other I've seen recently. The story is kind of lame and preposterous. Dialogues aren't great, although there are a few decent jokes. Translation is HORRIBLE. Puzzles are meh, honestly I played it all with a walkthrough because some puzzles are obtuse as hell.
Said so, it's definitely not a bad game. It's got a nice fairy tale setting and a good (very old style) art direction. The graphics are pretty good and a slap on the face on modern point and click, especially the great cartoony animations. Maybe I'm getting used to the animations in those new P&C - wich are just bad - but the animations in Galador are really, really good. No more "let's just imagine he did that". No After Effect crap. No mobile game feel. Really impressed by quantity and quality of its animations, especially considering it shouldn't have been a big budget game. For me, this is how it's done for pixel art graphics.
It's an enjoyable small little game. Definitely not a masterpiece, definitely worth the price.

Last edited:
So, I played this:

Currently €3.49 on GOG.
Never heard of it before.
It's a very old style and definitely a small budget game. Bad interface - just a drop down menu on right click, but better than some other I've seen recently. The story is kind of lame and preposterous. Dialogues aren't great, although there are a few decent jokes. Translation is HORRIBLE. Puzzles are meh, honestly I played it all with a walkthrough because some puzzles are obtuse as hell.
Said so, it's definitely not a bad game. It's got a nice fairy tale setting and a good (very old style) art direction. The graphics are pretty good and a slap on the face on modern point and click, especially the great cartoony animations. Maybe I'm getting used to the animations in those new P&C - wich are just bad - but the animations in Galador are really, really good. No more "let's just imagine he did that". No After Effect crap. No mobile game feel. Really impressed by quantity and quality of its animations, especially considering it shouldn't have been a big budget game. For me, this is how it's done for pixel art graphics.
It's an enjoyable small little game. Definitely not a masterpiece, definitely worth the price.

IIRC this game was fairly recently translated into English, right? I've seen the game mentioned sporadically but don't know that much about it. I like the look of it, though. It's a colorful high contrast style done right.

Latest installment of Frogwares long running Sherlock Holmes series is out today. Looks like it takes ideas from their newer Crimes & Punishments/Devil's Daughter formula with some of the open world concepts in The Sinking City. Telling an origin story of young Sherlock before he formally became a detective.

BTW I think I need to make another Straw Poll because the results for the one I made are strangely not showing up. Even after I know I voted on it. Is that happening for anyone else or just me?

Latest installment of Frogwares long running Sherlock Holmes series is out today. Looks like it takes ideas from their newer Crimes & Punishments/Devil's Daughter formula with some of the open world concepts in The Sinking City. Telling an origin story of young Sherlock before he formally became a detective.

BTW I think I need to make another Straw Poll because the results for the one I made are strangely not showing up. Even after I know I voted on it. Is that happening for anyone else or just me?

straw poll no longer works. or it has some spam protection. I made some strawpoll for laughs between friends and no votes were ever counted. try a different site.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
IIRC this game was fairly recently translated into English, right? I've seen the game mentioned sporadically but don't know that much about it. I like the look of it, though. It's a colorful high contrast style done right.
I don't know, but the voices aren't in english (polish maybe? Not sure) and the translation is just plain terrible.

Quite an underwhelming year for P&C.

yeah... I mean for big games as well but I was hoping maybe indies would step up, it was their chance now but nah, if the big games that are coming out next year are set in stone no ones gonna have much time with the small stuff.

Top Bottom