• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advice on weird issue with my OLED TV (not burn in)

Fbh

Since there seem to be a few OLED owners here I was wondering if anyone had something similar happen to them.

2 days ago I turn on my 4 months old C1 to watch a movie and almost instantly notice there's this rather big central "band" in the middle of the screen where the image just looks slightly darker. It's nearly invisible on bright content but really notorious in darker scenes, special with motion. It's not the traditional "banding", but more like there this big vertical band that's set to a higher contrast.
I do some testing around and it seems to show up everywhere regardless of the source of the image (external device over HDMI, built in apps, and also menus)

AX4Wb8X.png

(note: I don't really use it as a monitor, but I do connect my laptop to it to play stuff)

I try some generic stuff like power cycling it and restoring factory setting but nothing seems to change. So I contact LG support and they tell me they'll send over a technician this week to take a look.
Then this morning I turn on the TV to check out something and.... now it's suddenly completely fine, the image looks perfect again and there's not even a hint of the weird dark band.

My only guess is that it reached the 4 hours of cumulative use where the TV does that automatic pixel refresh and that fixed it. Has anyone had something similar happen to their TV?
Now I don't know what to do. I guess I'm glad it went away but at the same time I have nothing to show the technician so I'll probably have to call off the visit and just hope this doesn't come back permanently when the warranty runs out.

Kinda disappointed with this whole issue. I got the TV accepting burn in might be an issue in some years, but wasn't expecting other weird issues after just a few months of use

Ulysses 31

You sure that band doesn't coincide with the UI of games you've been playing?

Does seem weird it would form on its own like that.

Thaedolus

Haven’t seen anything like that, I have accidentally left the TV on overnight a couple times before (the light comes in when it’s OFF, not on, so it’s faked me out a few times) and it’s had to do that pixel refresh thing. It might be that whatever caused the band was solved by the pixel refresh, so maybe that’s the feature doing its job? But I’d feel the same as you wondering if it’s just a matter of time before it reoccurs…

Reactions: Fbh

Fbh

You sure that band doesn't coincide with the UI of games you've been playing?

Does seem weird it would form on its own like that.

Not really.
I'm currently playing Shadow of the Tomb raider which doesn't have much of a UI/HUD at all, and YS9 which only has permanent elements on the edges of the screen

Shai-Tan

Banned
don’t know what Is going on there but if you want to reduce the chance of burn in ensure black screensaver turns on quickly (1-2 mins), don’t walk away with games running on a static image, minimize taskbar, hide desktop icons until you want to use them, don’t use max brightness in sdr just because you can, particularly in windows

edit: it may go away eventually with nightly pixel refresh thing

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Since there seem to be a few OLED owners here I was wondering if anyone had something similar happen to them.

2 days ago I turn on my 4 months old C1 to watch a movie and almost instantly notice there's this rather big central "band" in the middle of the screen where the image just looks slightly darker. It's nearly invisible on bright content but really notorious in darker scenes, special with motion. It's not the traditional "banding", but more like there this big vertical band that's set to a higher contrast.
I do some testing around and it seems to show up everywhere regardless of the source of the image (external device over HDMI, built in apps, and also menus)

AX4Wb8X.png

(note: I don't really use it as a monitor, but I do connect my laptop to it to play stuff)

I try some generic stuff like power cycling it and restoring factory setting but nothing seems to change. So I contact LG support and they tell me they'll send over a technician this week to take a look.
Then this morning I turn on the TV to check out something and.... now it's suddenly completely fine, the image looks perfect again and there's not even a hint of the weird dark band.

My only guess is that it reached the 4 hours of cumulative use where the TV does that automatic pixel refresh and that fixed it. Has anyone had something similar happen to their TV?
Now I don't know what to do. I guess I'm glad it went away but at the same time I have nothing to show the technician so I'll probably have to call off the visit and just hope this doesn't come back permanently when the warranty runs out.

Kinda disappointed with this whole issue. I got the TV accepting burn in might be an issue in some years, but wasn't expecting other weird issues after just a few months of use
This tends to be an issue with software from what I remember reading. Why it happens I couldn't tell you but a lot of folks with similar issues said it disappeared, similar to yours, and then it tends to be fine. if its under warranty, which it sounds like it is, I would push for LG to replace it.

Fbh

This tends to be an issue with software from what I remember reading. Why it happens I couldn't tell you but a lot of folks with similar issues said it disappeared, similar to yours, and then it tends to be fine. if its under warranty, which it sounds like it is, I would push for LG to replace it.

Yeah it's under warranty.
I'll try but sadly consumer rights in my country kinda suck. They most likely won't replace it unless it has a verifiable issue

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah it's under warranty.
I'll try but sadly consumer rights in my country kinda suck. They most likely won't replace it unless it has a verifiable issue
Best of luck. Keep good notes and pictures!

Top Bottom