• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AfflictedGAF - What Are Your Medical Problems?

I'm one of those people who has always lived a conservative and placid existence away from damaging temptations, but even these measures haven't stopped Father Time from curb-stomping me into submission. And because NeoGAF consists of many people of varying age groups, ethnicities and nationalities, I thought it appropriate to talk about our ailments and which medications and treatments are being used to treat or manage them. Everything from fractured bones to cancers to STDs are allowed, assuming the person is comfortable sharing this information. You can talk about conditions suffered in the past, but the focus should be on those that are happening right now and the impact upon life and the appropriate treatments required.

Mine:

Age Group: Late 20s

Conditions

GERD - Omeprazole 40mg - Condition in which the food and stomach acid backs up into the oesophagus. Taking Omeprazole which neutralizes the acid but will be looking into more serious treatment soon.

Overactive Bladder - Tolterodine Tartrate 4mg - Makes me want to visit the bathroom more than average and piss like a sailor. Though it's a minor nuisance and medication has been proven to be effective.

Haemorrhoids - Bleeding from the backside on the toilet. Doesn't cause too much pain and is another nuisance at best.

Your Turn...

belmarduk

Overactive Bladder - Tolterodine Tartrate 4mg - Makes me want to visit the bathroom more than average and piss like a sailor. Though it's a minor nuisance and medication has been proven to be effective.

Is it the medication that makes you piss so much or is it to treat that?

Tourette Syndrome, deafness, anxiety, depression

000.gif

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I'm one of those people who has always lived a conservative and placid existence away from damaging temptations, but even these measures haven't stopped Father Time from curb-stomping me into submission. And because NeoGAF consists of many people of varying age groups, ethnicities and nationalities, I thought it appropriate to talk about our ailments and which medications and treatments are being used to treat or manage them. Everything from fractured bones to cancers to STDs are allowed, assuming the person is comfortable sharing this information. You can talk about conditions suffered in the past, but the focus should be on those that are happening right now and the impact upon life and the appropriate treatments required.

Mine:

Age Group: Late 20s

Conditions

GERD - Omeprazole 40mg - Condition in which the food and stomach acid backs up into the oesophagus. Taking Omeprazole which neutralizes the acid but will be looking into more serious treatment soon.

Haemorrhoids - Bleeding from the backside on the toilet. Doesn't cause too much pain and is another nuisance at best.

Your Turn...
I think the Best is not put the treatment.

For the security of the public.

belmarduk

Why would I be intentionally taking medication to make myself piss more? Of course it's used to treat the condition.

Some people do take medications to piss more, for example, people with high blood pressure. Those are called diuretics. I hadn't heard of the medication you named, which is why I asked.

Some people do take medications to piss more, for example, people with high blood pressure. Those are called diuretics. I hadn't heard of the medication you named, which is why I asked.
Was aware that people took those kinds of medications, but in my situation it’s the exact opposite as my bladder is sensitive. Tolterodine relaxes the muscles in the wall of the bladder to stop it from spasming and thus making me go to the bathroom.

Blond

Banned
Lost over 100pnds and still Obese.

God I appreciate that I have a normal relationship with food and physical activity now but god damn it’s SO disappointing knowing that no one who was an authority figure when I was a child decided to help me.

Still sad I wasn’t one of these people who fixed shit in their late teens and early 20s but I appreciate I made it to my 30s to fix it. No telling how many years of life I robbed myself out of and anyone who says obesity isn’t a sickness needs to get their heads out of their ass.

MachRc

I have adult ADD that I self medicate through poking alot of smot. I notice I poke alot less these days though.
I see more positives in having adult ADD than negatives.

Like hyper focusing on shit. Whether its building a PC, or modding cars or at the office, I tend to give it all once I start obsessing about it and get those important shit done.
But Ill completely forget about other important priorities like speeding tickets. Or trip to the doctor. I usually focus more on my family and others than myself. Its an honorable trait as I see it.
Ill put my personal things off until its usually too late like those parking tickets and end up going to see the judge to ask to drop the failure to pay penalties.

I tend to be silly alot and not so serious.
Alot of people say Im very energetic and upbeat and fun to be around. Not boring for sure.
I dont talk TOOO much but I can start jabbering because I have no filter.

Thats the best part of having ADD, that I have no filter.

I love that Ill say whats on my mind str8 to mouth, and I usually never lie because of my IDGAF attitude.

Ill just say it straight up unless its going to hurt feelings.

I dont have much of the downsides of having ADD other than misplacing things sometimes.
I find loose money in my pants all the time.
Im definitely not late, but more early all the time.
My house is clean, if not more cleaner than the average person.
On a scale of 1-10 my ADD is like a 4.

Delivered From Distraction really helped me understand my ADD.

Q: Does ADD ever go away on its own?

A: Yes. The symptoms of ADD disappear during puberty in 30 to 40 percent of children, and the symptoms stay gone. ADD therefore persists into adulthood 60 to 70 percent of the time. As the brain matures, it changes in ways that may cause the negative symptoms to abate. Then ADD becomes a trait rather than a disorder. In addition, sometimes the child learns how to compensate so well for his ADD during puberty that it looks as if the ADD has gone away. However, if you interview that child closely, you will discover the symptoms are still there ,but the child is struggling mightily—and successfully—to control them. These people still have ADD and would benefit from treatment

In my 30s. Stage 4 cancer. My life mostly revolves around the disease now, but I'm physically doing better than most who've had what I have this long. Doing trial drugs now to hopefully find something that sticks.
Wasn’t expecting a cancer patient here even though I mentioned it in the opening statement. What strain of cancer and how are the chemotherapy sessions going? The bad thing about stage 4 cancer is that there is no stage 5. So people have to give there all to survive.

BigBooper

Wasn’t expecting a cancer patient here even though I mentioned it in the opening statement. What strain of cancer and how are the chemotherapy sessions going? The bad thing about stage 4 cancer is that there is no stage 5. So people have to give there all to survive.
I know there's a couple of other cancer patients here I've seen over the past couple of years.. I don't really want to get into the details, except to say it's going better than I expected when I started. You're right, that's the only choice for me, to keep fighting it. Some people do just kind of give up and wait for the end, but that's not me. If there's a promising new trial or possibility, I'm taking it.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Pectus excavatum. It doesn’t really affect me other than I have to take deep breaths more often than most people, can’t be around cigarette smoke long, and have to maintain good posture. Or I feel like I can’t get enough air. I can still do cardio at full normal capacity, it actually eases my symptoms.

I have really bad ADHD and clinical depression (sadly, neurodivergent disorders and depression often go hand in hand), and as for physical disorders, I have gout.

I will say, just like MachRc MachRc said, there are definitely some good things about having ADHD, like being a hit at parties because I get fucking wild and hyper as hell when I'm fucked up and people love that energy. And hyperfocus has made me insanely knowledgeable in certain areas, like Nintendo and '90s emo and grunge. And I'm sorry if I sound egotistical, but I love my detailed, rambling style of writing (like this post). On the other hand, there are some negatives, like spotty memory and completely losing motivation. It's a mixed bag.

Btw, wonderful post, my dude! It's nice to have someone to relate to.

Something I've noticed is that ADHD has a lot of similarities to autism. Yeah, I know they're both neurodivergent disorders, but I would say that ADHD and autism are a lot closer in spirit than, say, ADHD and tourettes (please correct me if I'm wrong, however). In fact, I thought I might be autistic for a while, but then I started doing more research on ADHD and discovered that my symptoms are in line with ADHD after all.

So what I want to know is, considering the two disorders share a lot of traits, why isn't ADHD considered a part of the autism spectrum? I'm not trying to be insensitive, I'm genuinely curious. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about psychology than me could explain. I know I could just Google it, but fuck it. I'd rather have discussions with real people than a search engine.

Last edited:

MachRc

Autism and adhd is pretty different category. They do share similar types of symptoms and similarities but to a degree adhd is for most part not viewed as so severe as autism. I'll get back to this part.

My son has adhd. Its how I learned about mine. He has had vocal ticks and motor ticks and it used to come and go. At one point if he had continued the squeaks and face grimacing the spirit fingers. Lol the spirit fingers. I figure he may have had tourettes. The clearing the throat, singing quick short high note "ahh" which was really cute like an angel. He started to control it by age 8 and would only do it excessively in the privacy of home. At 5 he was neuropyche examine to have moderate to severe adhd. (I'm actually putting his retarded ass to sleep as I write this.)

He got all sorts of tricks and shit to stay wake with his phone, watch , head sets. It's his biggest weakness not getting enough rest for that brain. As if he doesn't he is grouchy combative and homie dont play that.

I have much experience in medicating him vs not medicating too as it's a very big topic among parents these days. Even better his mother is a caucasian eastern medicine accupuncturist anti vaxer who drinks alkaline water believes in hukermher diamonds to heal thyroid and believed he did not have adhd but too much food coloring and sugar. Put him on feingold diet and all sort of wack shit and punished him when I knew he couldn't help it. I put my foot down when it came to my son and medicated him with 5mg of focalin and 1mg of guanfacine to aid his sleep and quality of life at school. I dont use focalin if I don't have to like on weekends amd summers.

Now to excuse all her terrible actions against him she tells everyone he is autistic. When clearly he has been tested four days in a clinical setting at age 11 now as low to moderate adhd. The first sign of not being autistic is being able to look into your eyes when speaking and it's very obvious he is just a funny blathering kid. Im no doctor and maybe they're all, we re all under some umbrella of neurological disorders. But again it's a tough thing for me because my son is currently being used as an excuse for being a shitty mom and alienation of my other child from him. Like he is incapable of doing normal stuff and that he has severe control problems when it's just mom being a crazy bitch.

The motherfucker is a genuis. Social on discord, has no problems learning. He is in the gifted and talented education. Doing 3d printing and made a teris tournament for all the kids while remote learning. He just won't shut the fuck up or sleep.

autistic kids need more care. They are tougher to care after for. As my friend goes to low income homes to help with quiet hands, personal space and with communications. Some of his kids don't really speak at all and some can be very aloof not there at all. Sometimes it can get into intermittent explosions of violence , sometime it can be just not being able to communicate or get through to them. My son doesn't have motor ticks much nor do I hear the angelic "Ahh" anymore.

I do see his condition change and he is more aware of what he does and does a good job controlling it. Especially when he is on his meds. Anyways I had to write back. YoshiMadness YoshiMadness we can easily hijack this thread with our constant talking but I wanted to say hello and I hope you take good cares. 👍
Dj7qe5F.jpg

He's been long asleep.

Whitecrow

Banned
Thanks to my ADHD I cant find an stable job at my 30's. That really deflates my self-steem, as I feel like I'm not a good provider and not worth as a man.

I started taking meds a few weeks ago, but the first try didnt go well for the adverse effects, gonna talk with my psiquiatrist tomorrow.
i would gladly appreciate some insight on meds from people who had eperience with this

Also, as one of my biggest afflictions, hyperacusis. I've been a musician all my life, had inmense passion for playing in a bands, but suddently my ears got hypersensitive and my discomfort threshold was severy impacted.
It kinda comes and go. But it was enough to make me give up on my musician dreams.

Armorian

Banned
Glaucoma, since 2007. In normal country i could medical marijuana for it but not in Poland...

I use eye drops and so far it's not affectiong my vision at all, looks like retina veins degradation completely stopped or is super slow.

CAB_Life

GERD can be almost completely controlled through diet, once you’ve ruled out a specific stomach bacteria that causes the issue. I was on various PPIs for years, before finally taking control. Cut out fats, spicy foods and spices (garlic, cinnamon), pace out your meals, elevate your head when you sleep, DO NOT nap ever, are some of the most basic changes.

They say that these medicines have no side-effects, but what they mean is that they have no discernible side-effects. The sooner you try and minimize your attachment to big pharma the better. It can become a very selfish and one-sided relationship.

Mossybrew

Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease about 7 years ago. Not a fun disease, though it fluctuates, sometimes I'll be fine for months at a time, then a flare out of nowhere. Low point was gut surgery this April, which really sucked. Feeling fine now but who knows how long it will last. At least it's really my only ailment for now.

Top Bottom