• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 20 Years, NASA completes the James Webb telescope. The most powerful ever!

Chronoja

At the risk of sounding pessimistic, what's their plan if they find a problem with it when it gets there, Hubble had the famously faulty mirror they had to go fix. Getting a manned craft out to L2 doesn't seem like an option, so I'd assume the telescope has enough fuel to get closer to Earth again?

I'm so freaking excited. I remember being stoked about this as a freshman in HS, but thinking 2018 was so far away. Now it feels just around the corner. There's going to be so much good science done with this scope, it's going to be fantastic.

Too bad it won't last as long as the Hubble will : (

The worse thing is that after the ISS neither NASA nor ESA will have a manned presence in space.

ESA will maybe get some things done with China but NASA is quite isolated in that regard for a long time.

RocknRola

For people curious about how the James Webb Space Telescope will "transform" or unfold to take its final shape I found this:

image021.jpg

Wouldn't this leave it open to being damaged once in space? Or are the chances of that so insanely slim that it should be okay?

Woorloog

Banned
Space elevators

We can't build one, and if we could, chances are we wouldn't need it.

It is a catch-22 thing.

Given the expense and difficulty, you only need one if you need constant access to space. But if you need that access to space, you must be already there and doing stuff, and if so, you will have solved relatively cheap space flight already (otherwise you wouldn't need constant space access...).

Space elevators might be useful for augmenting normal launch systems in an advanced space-faring civilization but that's about it.

There are better alternatives to space elevator if we need cheap space access. For example, laser launch systems, or developing a space plane like Skylon (which is a promising concept but no one is really funding it because it is unproven and there is little need for one).

Media

I'm so excited about this thing but stressed at the same time. If any one little thing goes wrong, 20 years of work drain and possibly NASAS whole reputation. Please be okay.

Woorloog

Banned
There is no space debris in the orbit it operates.

But what about random micrometeors or the like?

I assume it is low risk, so they're just willing to risk it?

EDIT Though i would assume the telescope is damage-tolerant to an extent, considering its size, no?

But what about random micrometeors or the like?

I assume it is low risk, so they're just willing to risk it?

EDIT Though i would assume the telescope is damage-tolerant to an extent, considering its size, no?

The chance that it get damaged by a foreign object is low. Otherwise we wouldn't have so many successful deep space missions.

They finally finished this thing?

NASA should get more money. It's a shame how cheap the James Webb is compared to all the other bullshit things government spends money on

Quite comprehensive information and videos about the mirrors: http://jwst.nasa.gov/mirrors.html

Did not know that the mirrors can be adjusted in alignment and in curvature dynamically. That's pretty amazing. Must have been difficult to use Beryllium as the mirror substrate as well. It is incredibly toxic to humans.

Woorloog

Banned
The chance that it get damaged by a foreign object is low. Otherwise we wouldn't have so many successful deep space missions.

Mostly wondering due to the structure. For telescopes, the mirrors are usually enclosed, like in Hubble, are they not?

On the other hand, i guess most probes etc. usually have awful lot of exposed instruments of some kind... eh.

I wonder if there's a betting system... micrometeor damage could give good payout...

Jezbollah

At the risk of sounding pessimistic, what's their plan if they find a problem with it when it gets there, Hubble had the famously faulty mirror they had to go fix. Getting a manned craft out to L2 doesn't seem like an option, so I'd assume the telescope has enough fuel to get closer to Earth again?

No they dont have enough fuel to get it out of L2 orbit.

And even if we could get it closer, the Space Shuttle no longer exists. There is no vehicle in service now that has the capability like the Space Shuttle to do such servicing missions.

Going back to capsules for manned space travel at the moment has reduced the payload capacity from 16,000kg (Space Shuttle) to 3,000kg (SpaceX Crew Dragon).

Once James Webb goes up, it stays up there untouched.

With regards to it's launch, it will be going up on an Ariane 5. That rocket has had a successful launch streak of 73 since it's last failure in 2002. It will be fine.

hermit7

Anyone know what the projected service time is meant to be for it?

I would assume a long time, but for the mars rovers wasn't it only like a year or so? Those have been going around for like 10 years now.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Anyone know what the projected service time is meant to be for it?

I would assume a long time, but for the mars rovers wasn't it only like a year or so? Those have been going around for like 10 years now.

I'm assuming that since it took 20 years to complete and 22 to launch into space I'm guessing a very long time, decades.

KingBroly

Banned
But can it see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

I'm not sorry

That's really cool, though. I hope it gets put to good use.

Mostly wondering due to the structure. For telescopes, the mirrors are usually enclosed, like in Hubble, are they not?

On the other hand, i guess most probes etc. usually have awful lot of exposed instruments of some kind... eh.

I wonder if there's a betting system... micrometeor damage could give good payout...

Space is for the largest part pretty pretty empty.

But of course if it gets hit by something it would be irreversible and mostlikely means the end of the telescope.

So this views the infrared and not the visible spectrum correct? How will that affect images we get back? Will they just be color corrected I suppose?

HStallion

But can it see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

I'm not sorry

That's really cool, though. I hope it gets put to good use.

They will be searching for Hillary's emails with this the moment its operational if Trump is president.

I want Nasa to get a budget increase from the Government but damnit.. Isn't our nation 14 or so trillion in debt? I mean trillion with a T not billion with a B.

:(

I wonder what the human race would be like if we invested in space technology from the late 60s onwards instead of all the petty dick waving war shit we did since then.

HStallion

I want Nasa to get a budget increase from the Government but damnit.. Isn't our nation 14 or so trillion in debt? I mean trillion with a T not billion with a B.

I wonder what the human race would be like if we invested in space technology from the late 60s onwards instead of all the petty dick waving war shit we did since then.

Every country on Earth is in debt to everyone else at this point, that has little bearing on these things. I'd say just take 5 percent of the military's overall budget and give it to NASA

andthebeatgoeson

Forgive my engineering ignorance, but why has it taken so long to build this thing? Seems relativity simple compared to something like the LHC. Funding issue?

Also, is it really going to take 2 years of testing before it can be launched? Seems kind of excessive for (again forgive my ignorance) a relatively simple machine.
You remember the Hubble? They knew in a few months that they screwed the pooch. This isn't simple. In any fashion.

bsp

So this views the infrared and not the visible spectrum correct? How will that affect images we get back? Will they just be color corrected I suppose?

Like most photos NASA/space agencies release they will be mostly in infrared but some will be color corrected to an approximation of how it would look in the visible spectrum (spectroscopy tells us what elements the object is made of and you can then get a reasonable estimate of what visible colors it contains). Hubble was capable of visible spectrum capture but JWST is meant to see much further so infrared was the best bet.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I'm assuming that since it took 20 years to complete and 22 to launch into space I'm guessing a very long time, decades.
Not quite, unfortunately.

How long will the Webb mission last?

Webb is designed to have a mission lifetime of not less than 5-1/2 years after launch, with the goal of having a lifetime greater than 10 years. The lifetime is ultimately limited by the amount of fuel used for maintaining the orbit, and by proper functioning in orbit of the spacecraft and instruments. Webb will carry fuel for a 10-year lifetime (with margin); the project will perform mission assurance testing of the flight system to guarantee 5 years of scientific operations starting at the end of the commissioning period 6 months after launch.

Lots of good questions and answers here: http://jwst.nasa.gov/faq.html

bobeth

My guess is they do their best pre-launch, and hope for the best once it gets there. It's risky and ballsy, but sometimes you just have to accept it when the potential rewards are so huge.

Chris R

Hoping all the very complex steps this thing has to take to get to L2 and open correctly go smoothly

Would suck if the rocket doesn't make it to space, but it would suck more if the thing gets to L2 and just doesn't open

Money isn't really the problem right now. The geopolitical games the USA is playing is holding back future space missions and in worst case it will lead to the situation that the NASA gets isolated from other agencies.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
With regards to it's launch, it will be going up on an Ariane 5. That rocket has had a successful launch streak of 73 since it's last failure in 2002. It will be fine.

Now you've done it...

Onemic

HYPE!!!

Two years is so far away. Thing is, it wont even be operational for like another year after its launched, so dont expect new JWT images till like late 2019-2020.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Going for a Lagrange point is surprising, but it makes sense. Clearer image and less risk of debris. Here's hoping everything goes smoothly with the launch and deployment.

Going for a Langrange point is surprising, but it makes sense. Clearer image and less risk of debris. Here's hoping everything goes smoothly with the launch and deployment.

From the FAQ, it seems they also picked a Lagrange point in order to block out all light from the Sun, Moon, and Earth, which will help stabilize the temperature (necessary for infrared observations).

It does seem like a brutal and somewhat questionable tradeoff though, to send up a telescope that will only last 10 years and cannot be serviced, versus Hubble which has been going strong (with repairs and upgrades) for 26 years.

The wait for the JWT has been excruciating, and we still have two years of testing left before launch. We are fortunate that Hubble has continued to work reliably since its last service mission.

Oh my God. I can't believe this. This is AWESOME. I love this stuff.

I can't wait to see what new discoveries await us with JWST.

HStallion

From the FAQ, it seems they also picked a Lagrange point in order to block out all light from the Sun, Moon, and Earth, which will help stabilize the temperature (necessary for infrared observations).

It does seem like a brutal and somewhat questionable tradeoff though, to send up a telescope that will only last 10 years and cannot be serviced, versus Hubble which has been going strong (with repairs and upgrades) for 26 years.

The wait for the JWT has been excruciating, and we still have two years of testing left before launch. We are fortunate that Hubble has continued to work reliably since its last service mission.

Perhaps now that they built this one they can make another much faster/cheaper.

Hubble is more or less outdated and is slowly sinking which will also render its systems pointless before its end of operation in 2024.

But the future looks brigt with the James Webb telescope and the new generation astronomical observatories like the European Extremely Large Telescope, which will deliever sixteen times sharper images than Hubble.

Top Bottom