• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 20 Years, NASA completes the James Webb telescope. The most powerful ever!

reckless

Then you just have to be nervous for another month

And then until the thing unfolds

And then until it transmits clear pictures

Yeah after the whole Hubble ordeal, the stress working on this must be crazy.

Hopefully everything goes well, been hearing about this for so long.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Forgive my engineering ignorance, but why has it taken so long to build this thing? Seems relativity simple compared to something like the LHC. Funding issue?

Also, is it really going to take 2 years of testing before it can be launched? Seems kind of excessive for (again forgive my ignorance) a relatively simple machine.

So simple! So easy!

Dude watch some videos about this thing on youtube, it will blow your mind! It'll probably lay to rest some of your questions too.

AP90

Can't wait to see what this telescope discovers. Definitely hyped for this!

Hopefully the space agencies are planning to work on a successor that is like 3-4x larger with more power so that we can see even further =D.

Edit: Would be cool to have a visible light scope that could see just as far, but idk if that's within our means as of yet.

Uhyve

Think back to Calc3 where you had relative maximums and relative minimums.

ehngn.png

sNjvexE.gif
Ah, this makes total sense, the picture in the OP makes it look like it's orbiting the L2 point, but it's actually just in the L2 point? I thought I understood Lagrange points and then that picture got me properly confused.

Edit: Looking at the OP, it still looks like you're meant to interpret it as the telescope orbiting the L2...

Ah, this makes total sense, the picture in the OP makes it look like it's orbiting the L2 point, but it's actually just in the L2 point? I thought I understood Lagrange points and then that picture got me properly confused.

Edit: Looking at the OP, it still looks like you're meant to interpret it as the telescope orbiting the L2...
That's because Lagrange points can be orbited in what's called a Halo Orbit -
A halo orbit is a periodic, three-dimensional orbit near the L1, L2 or L3 Lagrange points in the three-body problem of orbital mechanics. Although the Lagrange point is just a point in empty space, its peculiar characteristic is that it can be orbited.
Google

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Ahh this is awesome. I'm fascinated with Space. I wish I could have been in the field some way, Space always gets my imagination going to places that nothing else really does. I feel like it's my home sometimes!

Learn to be an amateur astronomer. Astronomy is one of the few fields of science where amateurs can still make meaningful contributions in any decent/attributable sense.

Randomizer

This thing has been giving me blue balls for over a decade. And we still have to wait another 2-3 years before seeing some results.

Uhyve

That's because Lagrange points can be orbited in what's called a Halo Orbit -

Google
Oh, wow that's cool. I tried to search for it myself but couldn't figure out the right terms.

Snazzy visual for other confused people.
orbit2.jpg

I mean, I don't understand the maths of it but considering the Earth's gravity, it kinda makes a small amount of sense.

Absolutely amazing news. Can't wait to see the pictures this thing produces

At the risk of sounding pessimistic, what's their plan if they find a problem with it when it gets there, Hubble had the famously faulty mirror they had to go fix. Getting a manned craft out to L2 doesn't seem like an option, so I'd assume the telescope has enough fuel to get closer to Earth again?

It would be too far to send a manned craft, but couldn't they test it while it's still in Low Earth Orbit, then if there is no problems send it further out?

AdanVC

Holy damn! I'm ultra looking forward to the pics this beauty will take once it's up on space! This are the type of stuff that still makes me have some hope on the human race.

Crispy75

It would be too far to send a manned craft, but couldn't they test it while it's still in Low Earth Orbit, then if there is no problems send it further out?

They can't unfold it in earth orbit; it can only be opened once, and once opened can't take the forces imposed by the rocket. Also, it can't be serviced by humans anyway. Hubble was *designed* to be serviceable, with human-accessible fastener hatches and removable racks for the instruments. It was designed during the Shuttle's heyday, when this sort of maintenance would be the norm for every satellite. It meant the telescope could be upgraded, but it also made for a more complex design. Webb has a lifespan limited by propellant and coolant. With no reasonable expectation of the tech or budget being available to develop refuelling/servicing capability, it was never really considered.

ZombAid82

the fact that no one can reach it once it's there makes me very anxious...

without astronauts going up to fix hubble when they realized the mirror was screwed, nothing of this would be taking place.

on the other hand, if it works, I really can't possibly imagine my hype once the launch and reveal of images/info draw near....really...

I'll jump in my room like an 8-year-old awaiting christmas.

and when I see pics I'll probably cry and say a thousands times "how is this possible... man, but how? how is it possible this was out there.... no seriously, I can't believe it, how did we ever manage to get this far.. I can't believe it."

hell, my eyes got wet typing this.

An mine wet after reading this.
My thoughts exactly!

Crispy75

What kind of computer tech is in this? Is it still pre 90's tech? Is it best suited for space in high radiation?

Space-hardened computers continue to be improved, but the market is small so improvements come rarely. I can't track down the exact spec for the JWST cpu, but it does have custom ASICs for the actual instruments, which do most of the hardcore signal processing. The central computer itself doesn't have too many taxing jobs - just spacecraft guidance, data storage and transmission, general management. I'd be surprised if it's not a RAD750 - a 200MHZ PowerPC chip that's got a long history of use in NASA spacecraft.

Its successor, the RAD5500, is 10x as powerful but hasn't actually flown yet. The next Mars rover might have one.

RocknRola

Space-hardened computers continue to be improved, but the market is small so improvements come rarely. I can't track down the exact spec for the JWST cpu, but it does have custom ASICs for the actual instruments, which do most of the hardcore signal processing. The central computer itself doesn't have too many taxing jobs - just spacecraft guidance, data storage and transmission, general management. I'd be surprised if it's not a RAD750 - a 200MHZ PowerPC chip that's got a long history of use in NASA spacecraft.

Its successor, the RAD5500, is 10x as powerful but hasn't actually flown yet. The next Mars rover might have one.

It's gonna be awesome when they finally get to use the i7 for their rovers/satelites/space things in 50 or so years :p

Hehe, though it's understandable. Tested and true computer parts, that they know WON'T produce strange results/problems are a must for these projects. Using the newest and best tech is risky as obviously replacing them once in space isn't really a valid option.

Herne

We cannot even resolve any stars save for the largest, nearest red giants, as anything other than pinpoints.

This is confusing. How do we get images like this given the above?

It's gonna be awesome when they finally get to use the i7 for their rovers/satelites/space things in 50 or so years :p

Hehe, though it's understandable. Tested and true computer parts, that they know WON'T produce strange results/problems are a must for these projects. Using the newest and best tech is risky as obviously replacing them once in space isn't really a valid option.

I believe the Hubble even has a MOS 6502 on-board...

Jezbollah

For comparison, New Horizons (that had it's flyby past Pluto earlier this year and launched in 2006) has a R3000 CPU originally produced in 1988. Its also the same type of chip that Sony used in the Playstation 2.

NASA use tried, tested and hardened computer hardware over powerful new chips to ensure maximum reliability.

Herne

For comparison, New Horizons (that had it's flyby past Pluto earlier this year and launched in 2006) has a R3000 CPU originally produced in 1988. Its also the same type of chip that Sony used in the Playstation 2.

NASA use tried, tested and hardened computer hardware over powerful new chips to ensure maximum reliability.

Also similar to the R4300i inside the Nintendo 64.

Herne

That's just over exposure from a really bright star next to a very faint one. They are still both point sources.

Isn't this meant to be the first photograph taken of an extrasolar planet? An enormous Jupiter-alike I'm sure, but a planet.

If it's on the other side of the moon, wouldn't a lot of asteroid/meteor debris be a worry?

IDk space but i thought i remember something that the moon catches a lot of these things from hitting earth. maybe i dreamed idk LOL

RocknRola

I believe the Hubble even has a MOS 6502 on-board...

Yup. And again, completely understandable. The risks with new tech are far too great to risk it. Even if it means the project (be it whatever it may be) can't be as awesome as it possibly could, when you're spending billions there is no room for any sort of mistake or new and unexpected problems. Getting stuff up there is already complicated enough.

Paganmoon

If it's on the other side of the moon, wouldn't a lot of asteroid/meteor debris be a worry?

IDk space but i thought i remember something that the moon catches a lot of these things from hitting earth. maybe i dreamed idk LOL

The chances of getting hit by a large object are pretty slim though, since the "hitbox" is tiny, and the telescope itself won't really have mass enough to pull anything in towards itself, I'm guessing it's a calculated risk (the risk being tiny).

For 10 billion dollars, I hope they built more than one.

Why build one when you can have two at twice the price :p

eot

Banned
Forgive my engineering ignorance, but why has it taken so long to build this thing? Seems relativity simple compared to something like the LHC. Funding issue?

A lot of the technology used for these kinds of projects doesn't exist when the project begins. It's not just a matter of assembling it, 20 years is to design it, to develop all the technologies required to make it meet its specifications and then to actually build the thing. You also have to take into account that these projects involve a huge number of collaborators and are quite complex to organise (getting people to agree on designs, goals and budgets ate up a ton of time for this project). This is not an industry project where there exists efficient manufacturing pipelines for everything. It's a research project, and when everything is custom made/designed things take a loooot of time. You need to think long and hard about the tiniest details of this thing.

Also, the LHC was conceived in the mid 80's and started as a project in the early 90's. It took a long ass time too. LIGO, the gravitational wave detector(s) that made the big discovery a while back still aren't operating at their design specs (they will be soon though).

A lot of science is going "this shouldn't be that hard" then spending years working through all the problems you didn't anticipate. That's how you make progress.

Nope, actually the same chip Sony used in the original PSX.

Log4Girlz

Isn't this meant to be the first photograph taken of an extrasolar planet? An enormous Jupiter-alike I'm sure, but a planet.

But you cannot resolve detail. You can garner information from its spectrum, but you cannot see cloud details on the planet or sunspots on the star...except for the very nearest mega-stars. I mean, we could hardly resolve anything on pluto until we sent a craft.

Ninja Dom

I'm still not sure why they use 15 to 20 year old chips in these multi-billion dollar projects. Because these chips are tried and tested? Aren't chips that are only 5 years old, tried and tested? Isn't the Nintendo/IBM 'Broadway' processor (Wii) or variant tested?

SiteSeer

I'm still not sure why they use 15 to 20 year old chips in these multi-billion dollar projects. Because these chips are tried and tested? Aren't chips that are only 5 years old, tried and tested? Isn't the Nintendo/IBM 'Broadway' processor (Wii) or variant tested?
bad logic can stay hidden on a chip for a long time, even on circuits that are extensively used. i think the intel pentium chip had a fault where one operation out of some ten billion would produce an incorrect result, obviously nasa doesn't want their deep space craft to miscalculate and 'poof' no more observations.

Top Bottom