• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 20 Years, NASA completes the James Webb telescope. The most powerful ever!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
NPR did a story on the testing of the James Webb telescope and had some cool pictures of the sun shield during testing.

14753947223_572df2c0b7_k-e307cf6e7032cea526b3915820aa9cfdcab976ab-s800-c85.jpg

Link to the story: http://www.npr.org/2016/11/28/503166625/some-assembly-required-new-space-telescope-will-take-shape-after-launch

Edit: A video detailing the unfolding and set up of the telescope after launch

andthebeatgoeson

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/12/james-webb-space-telescope-goddard/509840/

Webb will be 100 times more powerful than Hubble. “If you were a bumblebee on the moon, Webb would be able to spot you,” said John Mather, Webb’s senior project scientist, standing in front of the golden mirrors at Goddard. In its new home, 1 million miles from Earth, Webb will point its giant mirrors into the darkness and beam back images of the earliest universe like humans never seen before.

So, let's point it at the moon and give a nice shot for all the moon-landing-was-fake dudes. Show the tracks, the flash and the plaque. Right? If astronauts are punching people, this is worth it.

Xe4

Banned
I'm still not sure why they use 15 to 20 year old chips in these multi-billion dollar projects. Because these chips are tried and tested? Aren't chips that are only 5 years old, tried and tested? Isn't the Nintendo/IBM 'Broadway' processor (Wii) or variant tested?

He was the second Administrator of NASA from 1961 through 1968

Yup. He was admin during the apollo program.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/12/james-webb-space-telescope-goddard/509840/

So, let's point it at the moon and give a nice shot for all the moon-landing-was-fake dudes. Show the tracks, the flash and the plaque. Right? If astronauts are punching people, this is worth it.

I believe the JWST will never be pointed towards the non-dark side of the moon due to its location.

We do have this, though:

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter already did that (although not to bumblebee detail), the wackos are going to believe what they want to believe.

y2Nionx.jpg

HStallion

Trump's going to use it to look for illegal immigrants crossing the southern border.

Par Score

Sure it can. If it's pointing at the earth and the moon is on the opposite side of the earth.

It will never be pointed at the Earth, since from the L2 point the Earth will always be extremely close in the sky to the Sun, and the reason for that big-ass Sun shield up there goes out of the window if you point the damn thing at the Sun anyway.

Ithil

Breaking news: The telescope prototype has been dismantled and partially stolen by a brown bear wearing a backpack. Requests for comments by the bear were met with gibberish.

Disxo

We're such a fucking stupid species...the ability and resources to do so much, yet squander it on the dumbest, most self-destructive shit.
Imagine if we spent those trillions of dollars invested in the F-35 on something useful!
Thinking about that is too painful.

BobLoblaw

Banned
We're such a fucking stupid species...the ability and resources to do so much, yet squander it on the dumbest, most self-destructive shit.
We're mostly a selfish, self-serving species. "Fuck you. I got mine" seems to be the motto across every country. If humanity wasn't constantly bickering over religion, race, or things like that and we worked together, we'd already be in space.

jchap

We're mostly a selfish, self-serving species. "Fuck you. I got mine" seems to be the motto across every country. If humanity wasn't constantly bickering over religion, race, or things like that and we worked together, we'd already be in space.

Be in space doing what? We wouldn't be going anywhere outside our little solar bubble.

HStallion

Be in space doing what? We wouldn't be going anywhere outside our little solar bubble.

Our little solar system is still gigantic beyond most people's actual comprehension. We could be colonizing or even terraforming Mars or setting up bases on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. Hell just mining the asteroid belt would provide us with more mineral wealth that we could ever imagine without destroying Earth. I don't even get the whole,"We're not going anywhere" part of your post. You ever set foot on Mars? No obviously so lets get there before asking where are we going to go.

Measley

Damn, you're probably right, and that depresses the hell out of me.

Those kind of people are clowns. They seem to not realize that we landed on the moon multiple times, not just once. Why the hell would NASA fake land on the moon six times? Why the hell would they fake a moon mission failing and almost killing their astronauts (Apollo 13)?

Zok310

Banned
I predict on day 1 after tests have been compleated and have reached its final orbit, this thing will instantly discover the Mass Relays at the edge of the Solar system 😂

Other than that, I remember watching a documentary about JWB back in high school like 15 years ago. Can't believe it took this long to finally complete it.

Prolly cost more to take that picture than the total cost of the moon landing itself. Better off just letting people believe that shit is tack than wasting the time and energy positioning jwb to take that picture.

Zok310

Banned

Prolly cost more to take that picture than the total cost of the moon landing itself. Better off just letting people believe that shut is tack than wasting the time and energy positioning jwb to take that picture.

xkramz

Tin foil hat, what if it's all s hoax saying they taking it to L2 and no one can reach it once it's in place, therefore they could feed us fake photos and shift because it cannot be debunked that it came from James Webb and also we won't know 100% that there's even a James Webb in space....

Ok too much coffee I'm over thinking the ridiculous possibilities

GeoGonzo

That picture of the sun shield is great. I often forget how large this thing is.

[...]
Ok too much coffee I'm over thinking the ridiculous possibilities
Just like with the lunar landings, the ammount of effort needed to fake the data dwarfs the effort of simply doing it.😋

It truely is an amazing piece of equipment but it surprises me how short the life will be. Since it's so far out they won't be able to do repair missions and it's only designed to last 5-10 years. I hope thru figure out a way to make it last longer.

akira28

Took that progress bar long as fuck to complete. Now to wait 5 turns to launch.

At the risk of sounding pessimistic, what's their plan if they find a problem with it when it gets there, Hubble had the famously faulty mirror they had to go fix. Getting a manned craft out to L2 doesn't seem like an option, so I'd assume the telescope has enough fuel to get closer to Earth again?

getting a manned craft out to L2 sounds like fun. and a manned base at one of the L points sounds inevitable.

we also invented pancakes and maple syrup, and also cartoons. are we really all bad, or just tragic mix of wonderful and awful?

MarionCB

I'm willing this to succeed so much. It's giddying to think how much we can learn.

we also invented pancakes and maple syrup, and also cartoons. are we really all bad, or just tragic mix of wonderful and awful?

It's a mix. People also forget that concepts like compassion and humour are human inventions. Also, concepts. This telescope will be the self-aware part of the Universe looking at itself, trying to understand what it is.

Prepare your simple minds (by the fact that all that we have is hubble resolution and quality photos) to be enhanced beyond imaginable levels.

I can't wait for Pillars of Creation and all other nebulas.

The galaxy finally in HD and OLED.

Top Bottom