• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After being a console player for last 6 years, buying a gaming PC is probably the best decision i made in gaming

TonyK

My situation was the opposite. After years of PC gaming I switched to consoles two years ago and now I can't imagine returning to PC. The thing is I'm not sure PC or consoles are one better than the other, but that at some point we all enjoy a shift, to enjoy gaming as something new again. I did the same transition from X360/Ps3 to PC, and now from PC to Ps5/series X. Probably in a few years I will return to PC and I will think it's way better than consoles. The cycle of life.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My situation was the opposite. After years of PC gaming I switched to consoles two years ago and now I can't imagine returning to PC. The thing is I'm not sure PC or consoles are one better than the other, but that at some point we all enjoy a shift, to enjoy gaming as something new again. I did the same transition from X360/Ps3 to PC, and now from PC to Ps5/series X. Probably in a few years I will return to PC and I will think it's way better than consoles. The cycle of life.
Similar here. I was huge pc guy in the 90s and 2000s. First 3dfx, GeForce 2 and so on. I still am a big pc guy. More pc than most honestly.
But ever since I got a 360, I realised that I can just play and ignore distractions.
By the end of 360 I was back to pc for few years but when I got ps4 in 2017, I turned more to consoles again. This continues with ps5.
I know I would be spending hours on pc, trying to settings in forspoken to make it run perfect. But on ps5 I just play it. It never crashes, 3d audio with headphones just works, dualsense is great, I own the game on disc…. Sure it drops fps but I don’t care. I never noticed bad performance on console too much. I take it as what it is.

So yeah. I continue to play on pc and ps5 and wager every release where I want to get it. Even With 3080 it’s not always an obvious choice.
Dead space and hogwarts next. Might get them on pc if there are no launchers other than steam needed. If game needs epic or origin? Instant pc skip for me

Guilty_AI

I know the feeling. When I got into PC gaming over twenty years ago it made me realize how much better gaming was over all. I see why it's truly the Master race.

I remember playing games with 32 vs 32 players back in the late 90's and early 2000's, something console gamers could only dream of.

Still to this day I don't see how anyone could play FPS with a controller lol.

CashPrizes

I really enjoy Sony's first party development teams, so until that changes (or they release games on PC day and date) I will always have the latest Playstation (did not buy a 4pro tho, and unlikely to buy a 5pro if released).

But yeah PC is the place to be, if you are an enthusiast and have any kind of spare money you should invest in a beefy gaming PC.

Hohenheim

I play 90% of my stuff on PC. Next two games i'll play elsewhere is the new Zelda and FF16. That's all good.
I connect with good games, not eco systems. But there's obviously a reason why I prefer PC and that's the higher frame rates, better detail and overall most complete experience. And of course the mouse/keyboard controls in a few genres I enjoy a lot.

Topher

Gold Member
20 years ago was different. Games are the same everywhere now and I console offers exclusive features that are not on pc and vice versa.
But all in all it’s all the same aside from the price.

Not really. Gaming on PC is still going to scale depending on capabilities and configurations chosen. Consoles are what they are. This hasn't changed and since it is starting to look like there won't be mid-gen refreshes, PC is going to continue to advance the rest of the decade while consoles will remain static. And as Guwop Guwop mentioned, options for alternatives to default controls such as keyboard/mouse, flight sticks, etc. are still largely not options on consoles. At the same time, consoles are still easier. So fundamental differences still exist between PC and console that have always been there.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Just my 2 cents but a gaming PC on an ultrawide monitor is gaming nirvana

kivKASq.jpg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
First of all, i know it sound kinda weird, but i feel like i'm more connected with community/other gamers when i'm on PC. Steam chat/ingame chat,steam community,so much more people actually use mic compared to console.Honestly on console you rarely get any contact with other gamers in terms of chat/ingame usage of mic,you feel kinda more "isolated" (yeah i know it sounds weird).On console it really feels like "one player experience". Anyone share the same opinion?

Mouse & Keyboard/144hz - it feels amazing. Even though i'm above average with controller in fps shooters, i feel like shooting with controller feels like driving a car with only thumb on a steering wheel. You are never actually 100% in control due to controller limitation.With mouse its way more fun because you're in control, if you miss your shot you blame yourself not controller limitation.Its like holding steering wheel with 2 hands😁
And 144hz,oh it feels so smooooth. Once you get used to 100+hz its kinda hard to go back to 60hz,even though generally 60hz is considered great.

Crossplay-i never thougt PC gaming will one day be able to play with console gamers. Crossplay is getting really popular in every genre of games. I think PC gamers wil see most benefit from crossplay.

Simracing-my big passion. On console is realla shit. Assetto Corsa/AC Competizione have like 60-70 players in total in peak times, GT7 has bigger playerbase but physics/handling is miles behind AC.On PC is definitely more serious, most people drive clean and use steering wheel. Also, huge difference between playing Assetto Corsa on PS5 vs PC. On PC is like a different game, on PS5 feels like its some really light light version.Also mods on this game are absolutely amazing. Comparing AC on console vs PC with mods is like comparing Yugo 45 and Bmw M3.

VR-its amazing. Finally i dont have to wait and depend on Sony to release new VR headset, i can just buy one and play it on PC. So damn simple..

Edit:to people asking about specs I bought:

I5 12600k
2tb ssd 7000mb/sec
PSU 80+bronze
2x16gb ram
1440p 144hz monitor

And used RTX 3060 because i wanna upgrade to new 4xxx series when it comes this year.

Good for you.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
20 years ago was different. Games are the same everywhere now and I console offers exclusive features that are not on pc and vice versa.
Yeah bro I sure loved being able to mod and customize the settings in all those games I played on my ps4.

Also being able to upgrade it to play Bloodborne at 60fps and disabling that chromatic aberration effect, pure bliss...

come on now GIF by IFC

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not really. Gaming on PC is still going to scale depending on capabilities and configurations chosen. Consoles are what they are. This hasn't changed and since it is starting to look like there won't be mid-gen refreshes, PC is going to continue to advance the rest of the decade while consoles will remain static. And as Guwop Guwop mentioned, options for alternatives to default controls such as keyboard/mouse, flight sticks, etc. are still largely not options on consoles. At the same time, consoles are still easier. So fundamental differences still exist between PC and console that have always been there.
I really hope we don't get pro consoles.
It's part why I like using a console - to avoid the constant, never ending chase for new parts and configurations.... and I suck at that since I still pump more money into pc lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah bro I sure loved being able to mod and customize the settings in all those games I played on my ps4.

Also being able to upgrade it to play Bloodborne at 60fps and disabling that chromatic aberration effect, pure bliss...

come on now GIF by IFC
none of this matters to me.
Bloodborne can be 17fps for all I care. It doesn't matter with awesome game

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
cope? I was modding games back in the 90s dude.
I've modded the shit out of games for years and years.... I just barely do anymore. It's not something that matters to me.
If modding = fixing then I can't be bothered... I am not fixing devs bugs for them as I am a paying customer

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
cope? I was modding games back in the 90s dude.
I've modded the shit out of games for years and years.... I just barely do anymore. It's not something that matters to me.
If modding = fixing then I can't be bothered... I am not fixing devs bugs for them
I don't care + that's not the point.

The point is that you said console gaming and PC gaming are basically the same minus the price (which is a lie). I pointed that out and all you were able to come up with is "I don't care". Nice conversation mate.

I'm stealing this
No you aren't, because I'm gifting it to you.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't care + that's not the point.

The point is that you said console gaming and PC gaming are basically the same minus the price (which is a lie). I pointed that out and all you were able to come up with is "I don't care". Nice conversation mate.

No you aren't, because I'm gifting it to you.
It is the same. Look at any digital foundry video. The games always look essentially the same.
We are no talking about mods here.
The game X is still the game X on pc. Maybe runs faster if you got the gear.
and fuck you for baiting me

TintoConCasera

It is the same. Look at any digital foundry video. The games always look essentially the same.
We are no talking about mods here.
The game X is still the game X on pc. Maybe runs faster if you got the gear.
and fuck you for baiting me
Well yeah, if you forget about framerates, resolutions, custom settings, mods, being able to play with whatever peripheral you want to and being able to play online for free... Then yeah, I guess they are the same.

And hey, don't be mean, I wasn't baiting anyone. You just posted something that's not true and I wanted to point it out.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well yeah, if you forget about framerates, resolutions, custom settings, mods, being able to play with whatever peripheral you want to and being able to play online for free... Then yeah, I guess they are the same.

And hey, don't be mean, I wasn't baiting anyone. You just posted something that's not true and I wanted to point it out.
oh yeah because compare new Dead Space on ps5 to it running on high end pc.
It's the same game. Maybe if you zoom 400% you can find some difference.
And you max at 60fps on console, while you can do more on pc.
WOW SUCH DIFFERENCE.

it's no longer ps2 times where console would get one version of a game and pc completely different version.
The miniscule stuff you explain like some fps or resolution is not important and you need to spend thousands to get this difference.

hemo memo

Gold Member

At what cost though?

Hint

Guwop

Neo Member
I know 20 years ago was different.

Guess what? 20 years later playing FPS with a controller on console is still terrible.

Guwop

Neo Member
Big facts.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
WOW SUCH DIFFERENCE.

it's no longer ps2 times where console would get one version of a game and pc completely different version.
The miniscule stuff you explain like some fps or resolution is not important and you need to spend thousands to get this difference.
What about PC gaming having free online, mods, better prices, private servers to keep MP gaming going when company servers are shut off, and that a PC is multipurpose and can be used for other things too?

TrebleShot

WOW SUCH DIFFERENCE.

No one else mentioning this, its spot on.
Did the jump recently and whilst yeah real nice its precisely this.

Kinda the opposite for me, at least this gen. My GTX 1070 is kinda outdated nowadays, though it gets the job done for PC/Xbox exclusive games. Would like to upgrade my rig, but the GPU market is ridiculous and I’m not willing to pay 1K bucks for a new GPU just to play games at higher frames/resolution, when I could play the very same game on my PS5 with slightly less resolution/visual fidelity. Now try to build a PS5 equivalent Pc for 500 bucks.. you can’t.

That being said, I couldn’t imagine gaming on only one platform. I like collecting physical copies of games, as well as PlayStation exclusive games, so I will probably keep buying a PS console as long as they exist, regardless of how good my PC rig would be. But I’m definitely playing way more on my Ps5 right now than my Pc.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Kinda the opposite for me, at least this gen. My GTX 1070 is kinda outdated nowadays, though it gets the job done for PC/Xbox exclusive games. Would like to upgrade my rig, but the GPU market is ridiculous and I’m not willing to pay 1K bucks for a new GPU just to play games at higher frames/resolution, when I could play the very same game on my PS5 with slightly less resolution/visual fidelity. Now try to build a PS5 equivalent Pc for 500 bucks.. you can’t.

That being said, I couldn’t imagine gaming on only one platform. I like collecting physical copies of games, as well as PlayStation exclusive games, so I will probably keep buying a PS console as long as they exist, regardless of how good my PC rig would be. But I’m definitely playing way more on my Ps5 right now than my Pc.
Seems like a good middle ground. You got ps5 for physical games, exclusives and demanding AAA and 1070pc for indie and all other games that are not on console like vampire survivors

Yoboman

One thing I hate about PC gaming is settings anxiety. There never seems to be an ideal setting

Maybe different if your PC is powerful enough. I have had a few mid-high end PC builds over the year but I always spend half an hour fiddling with the graphics settings before the game even starts

diffusionx

Gold Member
I have a good gaming PC (5800X3D/3080), and have been playing PC games since the 1990s (first gaming PC was a SLI Voodoo2). But a console player I was born, and a console player i will always be.

I first played Kung Fu on the NES of my brothers apartment back in 1990. Fell in love with video games since but with my family we didn't have a lot of money so I couldn't get a system. Over the years I played more PC games because my dad had a PC for work. So I got to experience Doom, Wolfenstein, monster mash etc.when they came out. We did rent consoles from like blockbuster or went to friend's houses and played him but never really owned mine until finally got to own a game boy color in middle school. Since then I pretty much a console gamer since then. In the process I've owned, NES, Super NES, N64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PSone, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox 360 S, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, Game boy, Game boy color, Game boy advance, Game boy Advance SP, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS lite, New 3DS, New 3DS XL, 2DS, new 2DS XL, Sega Genesis, and Dreamcast. I do have a Steam, GoG and others as well for over 10 years but my primary system has been Xbox. Lately though with Xbox not bring the Big games and having a Steam Deck now, I can see the whole point of having a PC over anything now. My steam account that is 15 years old now, I bought a 14 years ago, I can still download today, There are plenty of Xbox 360 games I cannot download on the series family. Then with Microsoft removing games off the 360 store and with most likely in the next 5 years the 360 servers shutting down. Makes me worried even more.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I've been thinking hard about switching from Series X / PS5 combo to just a high-end gaming PC. My PS5 is only used for exclusives, and with Sony exclusives now coming to PC, I feel less of a need to own PS5 hardware. I'm in no rush to play them day one and would be fine with waiting for a PC port.

The biggest holdup for me is that I've built a rather large library of games on my Series X, and I dread the idea of having to rebuild most of my library on PC. If I go PC, I'd be going all in and I'd have no interest in owning both consoles and PC, so hanging onto the Series X to hold onto my currently library of games isn't an option.

I bought mine solely for playing GCN games in 4k with dolphin, no regrets, old games are WAY better than new age kids games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I first played Kung Fu on the NES of my brothers apartment back in 1990. Fell in love with video games since but with my family we didn't have a lot of money so I couldn't get a system. Over the years I played more PC games because my dad had a PC for work. So I got to experience Doom, Wolfenstein, monster mash etc.when they came out. We did rent consoles from like blockbuster or went to friend's houses and played him but never really owned mine until finally got to own a game boy color in middle school. Since then I pretty much a console gamer since then. In the process I've owned, NES, Super NES, N64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PSone, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox 360 S, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, Game boy, Game boy color, Game boy advance, Game boy Advance SP, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS lite, New 3DS, New 3DS XL, 2DS, new 2DS XL, Sega Genesis, and Dreamcast. I do have a Steam, GoG and others as well for over 10 years but my primary system has been Xbox. Lately though with Xbox not bring the Big games and having a Steam Deck now, I can see the whole point of having a PC over anything now. My steam account that is 15 years old now, I bought a 14 years ago, I can still download today, There are plenty of Xbox 360 games I cannot download on the series family. Then with Microsoft removing games off the 360 store and with most likely in the next 5 years the 360 servers shutting down. Makes me worried even more.
Why wouldn’t you switch to ps4 after 360 like everyone else?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I made the full switch to PC gaming over seven years ago. I’ve amassed a library of games far larger than the entirety of my decades of console gaming - and for a lot less money.

At this point, going back to consoles would be a massive downgrade. Massive downgrade in available games to play, much worse performance, I’d have to pay for online, no more cheap bundles, no more free games, FPS games would feel like shit…I could go on and on.

twilo99

Congrats.

As a PC gamer getting gamepass was probably the best decision I’ve made in recent years. Having access to steam is great, where you could potentially/eventually get the Sony exclusive and whatever else that you really want to play, but all in all there is so much quality content on gamepass that I simply don’t buy games anymore, besides maybe CoD, which would hopefully end up on there as well along with that massive activision catalog.

dcx4610

One thing I hate about PC gaming is settings anxiety. There never seems to be an ideal setting

Maybe different if your PC is powerful enough. I have had a few mid-high end PC builds over the year but I always spend half an hour fiddling with the graphics settings before the game even starts

That has changed a bit in recent years. Most games now are good at automatically detecting that settings are best. If you don't like it, you can usually pick presets. That's one thing I also liked about console is that the game was coded specifically for your hardware but even that has changed now with Performance/Fidelity modes.

Honestly, a lot of times I just let the automatic setting decide and the only thing I changed is the resolution/Vsync/frame rate options if they are not what I want. Graphics are so good these days that you really aren't going to notice a vast difference by messing with individual settings.

Jinjo

I fucking love my gaming PC, especially now that I went from mid-range to high-end hardware. Next-gen I am not even sure I will dip into the consoles, I have everything I want here. For some titles I may need to wait a bit longer, but love seeing more console exclusives ported to PC eventually.

Gudji

Bought a new GPU for my old machine two days ago holy shit I missed gaming on PC. It's not even about better or worse graphics, its just that being able to play every game at 60 fps makes a lot of difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom