• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After being a console player for last 6 years, buying a gaming PC is probably the best decision i made in gaming

Klik

First of all, i know it sound kinda weird, but i feel like i'm more connected with community/other gamers when i'm on PC. Steam chat/ingame chat,steam community,so much more people actually use mic compared to console.Honestly on console you rarely get any contact with other gamers in terms of chat/ingame usage of mic,you feel kinda more "isolated" (yeah i know it sounds weird).On console it really feels like "one player experience". Anyone share the same opinion?

Mouse & Keyboard/144hz - it feels amazing. Even though i'm above average with controller in fps shooters, i feel like shooting with controller feels like driving a car with only thumb on a steering wheel. You are never actually 100% in control due to controller limitation.With mouse its way more fun because you're in control, if you miss your shot you blame yourself not controller limitation.Its like holding steering wheel with 2 hands😁
And 144hz,oh it feels so smooooth. Once you get used to 100+hz its kinda hard to go back to 60hz,even though generally 60hz is considered great.

Crossplay-i never thougt PC gaming will one day be able to play with console gamers. Crossplay is getting really popular in every genre of games. I think PC gamers wil see most benefit from crossplay.

Simracing-my big passion. On console is realla shit. Assetto Corsa/AC Competizione have like 60-70 players in total in peak times, GT7 has bigger playerbase but physics/handling is miles behind AC.On PC is definitely more serious, most people drive clean and use steering wheel. Also, huge difference between playing Assetto Corsa on PS5 vs PC. On PC is like a different game, on PS5 feels like its some really light light version.Also mods on this game are absolutely amazing. Comparing AC on console vs PC with mods is like comparing Yugo 45 and Bmw M3.

VR-its amazing. Finally i dont have to wait and depend on Sony to release new VR headset, i can just buy one and play it on PC. So damn simple..

Edit:to people asking about specs I bought:

I5 12600k
2tb ssd 7000mb/sec
PSU 80+bronze
2x16gb ram
1440p 144hz monitor

And used RTX 3060 because i wanna upgrade to new 4xxx series when it comes this year.

Last edited:
PC is pretty good and always was, but I still like consoles too, where I play depends on the game.

To this day I still can't handle FPS with controllers, feels terrible.

As for Steam chat/ingame chat and Steam community, I have no idea how someone can like that.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

ah yes, another comes over to our side. welcome brother. mouse controls for fps are simply unmatched on PC...the level of smoothness, fastness, accuracy...its a whole new level of Play. enjoy emulators for your retro needs, enjoy a gigantic catalog of infinite games to play with. Enjoy GSYNC, ULTRAWIDE, VR, NVIDIA DLSS, FSR, RAY TRACING, all PC technologies created for us in mind. and most important, FREE MULTIPLAYER!

Stuart360

Once you go PC only, its really hard to go back to consoles.
When i went PC only, towards the end of the 360/PS3 gen, i thought it would be a temp thing (the reason why i went PC only at that time was because even my PC at that time was better than the early rumours for XB1/PS4). But once you get used to graphics settings in games, picking what rez and framerate you want, using trainers or cheats, getting games much cheaper online if you know where to look, mods and the amazing posibilites they bring to games, the sheer amount of Indie and AA games that dont come to console, All multiplatform games, All Xbox games, an increasing amount of PS games, and you can even play Switch games through emulation, i mean you get the picture.

Consoles are just too limited to me now after skipping a whole console gen and being PC only for that time. I dont take pride in that by the wy, i loved console gaming, still do. I just couldnt go back now after getting used to the freedom of PC gaming.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
PC is pretty good and always was, but I still like consoles too, where I play depends on the game.

To this day I still can't handle FPS with controllers feels terrible.

As for Steam chat/ingame chat and Steam community, I have no idea how someone can like that.

Steam community reviews and their forums are extremely useful in my experience. In game chat is obviously gonna depend on your friends. Then you have the real Discord experience on top of that too.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Steam community reviews and their forums are extremely useful in my experience. In game chat is obviously gonna depend on your friends. Then you have the real Discord experience on top of that too.

I second this, its another tool in the tool box. I see people complaining about "review bombing" or being unfair to a game etc etc, but often its how your alerted to shoddy PC ports and quite often there are community linked solutions that players have fixed themselves.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

Now post your specs so we can judge you.

Fbh

PC is great.
Got a laptop with a 1050ti some years ago and even with that limited experience it's much nicer than consoles. Games are so much cheaper (specially living in a place with regional pricing), there's more customization to play the games the way you want, decades worth of content, forward compatibility on most games if I ever decide to upgrade the hardware, there's mods to further customize the experience, not having to pay for multiplayer is great, etc.

Whenever I go back to play something on console it feels very limited. $60 game, another $60/year if I want to play online, very limited settings options, no Mouse/KB (though admittedly I prefer controls for almost everything).

With that said I'm still aiming for a Ps5 for now because with the current GPU prices the performance to price ratio is too crazy. If we ever go back to being able to build a solid mid tier PC for around $1000 I'm switching exclusively to PC.

Stuart360

I second this, its another tool in the tool box. I see people complaining about "review bombing" or being unfair to a game etc etc, but often its how your alerted to shoddy PC ports and quite often there are community linked solutions that players have fixed themselves.
I think Steam reviews are a great guidline for technical problems with games, or if the devs have been shady or been twats. Steam reviews can get a little fanboy like, so i still tend to use MC to judge whether a game is good or not (usually make my own mind up though by playing the game).

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I love being able to tune a game's performance to my exact requirements. Including removing bullshit like depth of field, motion blur, chromatic aberration, etc. I also value raytraced GI which you won't be seeing much of on consoles. Dying Light 2 and Cyberpunk are just two examples of this.

Last edited:

EDMIX

The best decision would be to build your own gaming PC. There's not much more satisfying than playing on the machine you constructed with your own two hands.

As a person that has built for years, this is one of the few times I might recommended one actually buy a pre-built. We just can't find those fucking cards at a good price for it to make sense now until they figure out this whole GPU release thing with those data miners.

So now more then ever, building is a luxury like no other lol

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
As a person that has built for years, this is one of the few times I might recommended one actually buy a pre-built. We just can't find those fucking cards at a good price for it to make sense now until they figure out this whole GPU release thing with those data miners.

You can’t replace that feeling of everything working perfectly and starting up on the first try after you assembled it yourself to your own specifications

fb7.jpg

Yep, for the first time in my life I'm considering an upgrade to a gaming laptops instead of a new PC. I'll me moving and I need a new notebook anyway so I might as well go with that. A lot of them, even the less fancy one seem to be really well built now and they come with pretty decent screens with high refresh rate and FreeSync (so I might skip on buying a new monitor) and a RTX 3060 should easily handle games made for the current gen.

Last edited:

Jaybe

nice write up Klik Klik you’re definitely on the right platform for your favourite genre Sim racing. You can really invest in that too, my cousin has some crazy simulator thing he was telling me about.
Curious on your system specs and if you got a gsync or free sync monitor. I couldn’t stand any tearing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'll never be a core PC player since I only buy laptops at the $1000 range, but getting back into PC gaming the past year and a half has been great for Steam/GOG cheapies. I think almost every game I downloaded is only on PC too.

There are a few multiplatform games which I can compare prices.

As an example of stupid pricing, I like buying boardgames. A game called Istanbul is on the Xbox e-store for $25 CDN. I bought it earlier this year for around $7 on Steam (reg price $13.50). Mainframe Defenders is $15 CDN on Xbox. Bought it for $5 (reg price $11.50). Checking prices now, Mainframe is on sale for $3.44.

For anyone who buys lower end games, go PC. Not only way cheaper, but also M/KB is better too if the game is built better for it.

I am really transitioning from PS4/5 to PC.

Going to keep my PS4 collection and always have a PS5 available, but yeah, it's time. These consoles get less and less console like and the performance and customization for PC games is a massive advantage. I do not want to play multiplats at even 60fps anymore if I have the option... I want 120, and I can get a way better looking and running experience on PC.

Course there will still be the occasional game I want a boxed copy of, so PS5 is good for that. Or the botched PC port here or there, but they're getting rare these days. Usually the worst thing will be denuvo or some online BS, well let me put on me eyepatch for those releases lol.

So yeah, PC plus switch 2 next gen.

Last edited:

Holammer

I'm all in on PC today, but shamefully I used to lean more towards camp Bryank75.

Here's my forced conversion into the PC sphere. I made an account when Steam was new to register my Half-Life, but someone had stolen the regcode (presumably at a Counter-Strike LAN party), so I got pissed off and swore I would never use Steam, fuck that fugly green piece of shit! Gaming is best on Consoles anyway.

Years later when Bad Company 2 came out my friends forced me to install Steam, claiming it was more convenient and other arguments that might have included threats of bodily harm, I gave up, registered a new account and bought the game, no doubt rolling my eyes like a pissy teen as I did so.
As you can see it took another year before I started playing TF2 and warming up to the service, Magicka and Terraria were my other 2011 purchases, after 2012 the ball started rolling and today my purchase history is fucking dire reading.

ErywnNG.jpg

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Yep, for the first time in my life I'm considering an upgrade to a gaming laptops instead of a new PC. I'll me moving and I need a new notebook anyway so I might as well go with that. A lot of them, even the less fancy one seem to be really well built now and they come with pretty decent screens with high refresh rate and FreeSync (so I might skip on buying a new monitor) and a RTX 3060 should easily handle games made for the current gen.
I have an asus with a ryzen 5 5700 and a 3060. 1080p144hz display, couldnt be more happier with the thing. Its my main pc despite having a more powerful desktop. Little beast with play everything flawlessly at 1080.

GHG

Gold Member
First of all, i know it sound kinda weird, but i feel like i'm more connected with community/other gamers when i'm on PC. Steam chat/ingame chat,steam community,so much more people actually use mic compared to console.Honestly on console you rarely get any contact with other gamers in terms of chat/ingame usage of mic,you feel kinda more "isolated" (yeah i know it sounds weird).On console it really feels like "one player experience". Anyone share the same opinion?

Mouse & Keyboard/144hz - it feels amazing. Even though i'm above average with controller in fps shooters, i feel like shooting with controller feels like driving a car with only thumb on a steering wheel. You are never actually 100% in control due to controller limitation.With mouse its way more fun because you're in control, if you miss your shot you blame yourself not controller limitation.Its like holding steering wheel with 2 hands😁
And 144hz,oh it feels so smooooth. Once you get used to 100+hz its kinda hard to go back to 60hz,even though generally 60hz is considered great.

Crossplay-i never thougt PC gaming will one day be able to play with console gamers. Crossplay is getting really popular in every genre of games. I think PC gamers wil see most benefit from crossplay.

Simracing-my big passion. On console is realla shit. Assetto Corsa/AC Competizione have like 60-70 players in total in peak times, GT7 has bigger playerbase but physics/handling is miles behind AC.On PC is definitely more serious, most people drive clean and use steering wheel. Also, huge difference between playing Assetto Corsa on PS5 vs PC. On PC is like a different game, on PS5 feels like its some really light light version.Also mods on this game are absolutely amazing. Comparing AC on console vs PC with mods is like comparing Yugo 45 and Bmw M3.

VR-its amazing. Finally i dont have to wait and depend on Sony to release new VR headset, i can just buy one and play it on PC. So damn simple..

For sim racing having a gaming PC is a requirement, no questions asked. The stuff on PC is just so far ahead of what's available on console it's insane.

If you want an healthy player base for online racing I'd suggest iracing. Just start with the mazda mx5 to learn the game and have fun.

I have an asus with a ryzen 5 5700 and a 3060. 1080p144hz display, couldnt be more happier with the thing. Its my main pc despite having a more powerful desktop. Little beast with play everything flawlessly at 1080.
I have no need to play above 1080p, that's how I got this far with my ancient RX 570. Still got to play Elden Ring at High Settings at 1080p 45~60 FPS (within the FreeSync range of my monitor) and for some reason I had very little problem with stutter even when the game released.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Be sure to play some Half-Life: Alyx if you are gonna jump into VR. It's the absolute best VR game ever made. Amazing. Yesterday I just cleaned up my office and moved some furniture around and decided I was finally gonna hook my Vive back up after it sat in a box for so long after the last time I took it over to a buddies house. I can't wait to jump back into Alyx.

PC is objectively better. I'm just to poor to afford a PC to the level I'd want. Soon tho. Like you get everything you get with a console plus more.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I prefer PC by leaps and bounds to play on, but after working all day on a computer, I’ve come to be more appreciative of the console. Controller is crap though compared to keyboard and mouse for a lot of games, that I can agree on.
Other than FPS (and RTS games if I played them) I think controllers are fine. Third-person games are fine with mouse and keyboard like Tomb Raider, but sometimes I just want to lean back and relax a bit, especially now that I'm working from home now.

It's great console games are now offering 60fps performance modes as standard, but one thing that does annoy me is the narrower FOV - horizontally this probably annoys me even more than vertically (though I love gaming on my ultrawide), and I'm constantly finding myself fiddling with the camera.

EDMIX

You can’t replace that feeling of everything working perfectly and starting up on the first try after you assembled it yourself to your own specifications

fb7.jpg

Oh no doubt, I'll always love building, but its something I just can't do right now for my next build for business, school etc. I semi need a new PC for design stuff and school and its just not feasible for me to save money building like the old days.

Back then you could build yourself and save a fuck ton of money, now its just the reverse. You build and you are now spending a shit load on a GPU marked up to a oblivion.

Agreed and I'm sure lots of people are in that boat right now. I had a whole build written down, ready to buy.....then those GPUs released (sorta) and that price was just insane for what they are going for online. Any way I added it up, I was just not saving money. So much has changed from those days of companies making the shitiest of builds, back then NZXT made the most GV cases, now they are making some of the best parts and even building and doing that shit better then some of the companies from 15 years ago, so a lot has changed with that and its no longer this wasteland of great value parts being added lol

So I do hope that situation does get resolved with the whole GPU thing and we can get stable prices again as thats the only way I see me building again, that or I make a fuck ton more money and do a build for fun, but we need to focus on what makes sense for business and my education at this point. I can't think of this using a enthusiast mindset lol

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
A neat part is there are VR on most racing games on PC in recent years now like Assetto Corso Competizione and the upcoming F1 2022.

MurfHey

I prefer PC by leaps and bounds to play on, but after working all day on a computer, I’ve come to be more appreciative of the console. Controller is crap though compared to keyboard and mouse for a lot of games, that I can agree on.
This is me 100% I work 9-10 hours a day on a pc. I sold my pc 2 years into my job as I wasnt enjoying it anymore. Went to jump back in during covid but prices are crazy.

Sticking with consoles going forward. I know it's basically the same thing when it comes to gaming, but working in iT for 7 years has killed pc gaming for me.

edit - As of 5/12/22, I sold the xbox series x and came back to PC land (12700k + 3070ti). Still have my PS5 and Switch (plus retro stuff), but figured might as well have the pc to pick up xbox stuff and pc stuff.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I have no need to play above 1080p, that's how I got this far with my ancient RX 570. Still got to play Elden Ring at High Settings at 1080p 45~60 FPS (within the FreeSync range of my monitor) and for some reason I had very little problem with stutter even when the game released.
Laptop will suit you really well then, go for it!

I grew up playing SNES and N64, then onto PS1,2,3,4 and now 5. So I'm super comfortable with console controllers.

The idea of using a mouse and keyboard to play games seems deeply alien to me lol especially because I spend most of my time working on my computer with a keyboard and mouse, it's not something I want to use in my leisure time as well.

The upcoming PC GPU's (RDNA 3 and Lovelace) look to be very tempting because of the leap in performance we're going to get. So I'm very tempted to invest in a PC, I was told many PC games are compatible with console controllers which is good news, and it seems Sony are also offering much more Dualsense support with PC in the future which is music to my ears.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Upgrading my PC to a RTX3080 and i9-11900KF along with a 4K / HDR / 144MHz monitor made it so it's very difficult for me to play certain genres (outside of exclusives) on my PS5 or Steam Deck. I know the feeling. But there are still some strengths with the console experience that make it so I'll probably never abandon it completely.

Kokoloko85

Nice, enjoy. Defo loads of genres are better on PC like Sims, Strategy games, indies, shoot em ups and loads more.

Before Xbox went all in on PC, Consoles had alot more exclusives and even PC gamers had alot more reasons to own consoles too. Xbox gave a great library of games to PC.

The days of owning a console are becoming less and less but I still prefer consoles for 80% of my gaming. My PC atm can only play older PC games, indies and emulation. And I love playing those Nintendo and Playstation exclusives day one and few a other things I prefer.

Last edited:

Excess

The idea of using a mouse and keyboard to play games seems deeply alien to me lol especially because I spend most of my time working on my computer with a keyboard and mouse, it's not something I want to use in my leisure time as well.
Me too, but that's why I use a controller on 90% of my PC games. Most modern games support it. Not only that, I play it on my couch and on a TV. Nothing has changed about how I play other than it being a dedicated GPU. So it's not really an argument anymore.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Other than FPS (and RTS games if I played them) I think controllers are fine. Third-person games are fine with mouse and keyboard like Tomb Raider, but sometimes I just want to lean back and relax a bit, especially now that I'm working from home now.

It's great console games are now offering 60fps performance modes as standard, but one thing that does annoy me is the narrower FOV - horizontally this probably annoys me even more than vertically (though I love gaming on my ultrawide), and I'm constantly finding myself fiddling with the camera.
Narrow fov and un-toggable Chromatic Aberration is the worst shit in games and I can't stand it when/if I can't turn it off. And yeah, I agree with the Ultrawide comment, it'd be hard to go back.

Stuart360

Me too, but that's why I use a controller on 90% of my PC games. Most modern games support it. Not only that, I play it on my couch and on a TV. Nothing has changed about how I play other than it being a dedicated GPU. So it's not really an argument anymore.
Yep thats how i'm set up. My PC is permanently connected to my 55inch tv. I play from my couch, and i even control my PC through my XSX controller by using XPadder.
My PC is basically my entertainment hub. All my gaming, movies, tv, and music are consumed from my PC.

Excess

Yep thats how i'm set up. My PC is permanently connected to my 55inch tv. I play from my couch, and i even control my PC through my XSX controller by using XPadder.
My PC is basically my entertainment hub. All my gaming, movies, tv, and music are consumed from my PC.
Oh wow, I've never heard of XPadder. I should check that out.

I've actually just been using a gyro remote to point and click. It works sort of like the LG TV remote control, if you happen to have one.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yeah when I bought my PS4 I thought it was really weird how no one really talks. I guess scared to get banned?

I know dudes like to constantly buy hardware and worry about specs, but to me the real beauty of PC gaming is the freedom. I do hope consoles remain strong as a buffer state against the woke BS.

This is refreshing to hear.

Top Bottom