• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After being a console player for last 6 years, buying a gaming PC is probably the best decision i made in gaming

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Or if you don't have/want a gaming PC. Like I said, most living room gamers want simplicity. Consoles are simpler than PC.
If if don't have/want a gaming pc this is a "you" problem and not the platform problem. Simpler =/= better suited. For me better suited if the one that can do more and better.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

On top of that, couch co-op games are almost non-existent on PC, which sucks when I want to spend some time playing something with my wife.
? This isn't really true though. At least theres as much local coop games as there are consoles.

Unless you're refering to nintendo consoles specifically.

Topher

Gold Member
Not for everything. Stuff like performance, IQ, controls, are things that can be objectively worse or better.

True. Resolution and frame rates are objective measurements. Controls, perhaps, as far as having more options. PC definitely gives you that. But as far as which is "better suited", that's subjective and is personal preference. Consoles are "better suited" for a lot of people.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
True. Resolution and frame rates are objective measurements. Controls, perhaps, as far as having more options. PC definitely gives you that. But as far as which is "better suited", that's subjective and is personal preference. Consoles are "better suited" for a lot of people.
Than again it is a "you problem" and not a platform problem.

? This isn't really true though. At least theres as much local coop games as there are consoles.

Unless you're refering to nintendo consoles specifically.
No, it’s true. Developers generally assume PC players aren’t playing local coop or local multiplayer, so they don’t bother. COD Cold War only does local multi and coop on consoles. Gears of War Ultimate doesn’t let you play local coop on PC. Trust me, I spent a long time looking through games for local coop/multi PC options and the selection is garbage.

Bragr

Banned
1- High lvl nonsense/dirty peasant lvl argument.

2- The thread is not about only having pc and you don't need to have only a pc.
1. I don't know what you are talking about. Playing Switch on PC makes a person the ultimate fucking peasant.

2. I replied to what he said you snowflake.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
No, it’s true. Developers generally assume PC players aren’t playing local coop or local multiplayer, so they don’t bother. COD Cold War only does local multi and coop on consoles. Gears of War Ultimate doesn’t let you play local coop on PC. Trust me, I spent a long time looking through games for local coop/multi PC options and the selection is garbage.
Or because devs know that pc players prefere coop without splitting screen + framerate in half.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

oh, that sucks then (i don't really play these games so i didn't know). Still, seems to be a microsoft/activision issue as there are no shortage of great options to pick from, be it multiplatform or pc only 👇

i'm not even counting games like Grim Dawn where a single copy can be installed in multiple machines to play on LAN.

Naturally its another matter if you simply find it too troublesome to set up a split-screen play session with a PC.

Last edited:
I get that, but I will say this, it's definitely much easier these days, at least it has been in the past decade since it's become more popular. Everything from developer to hardware support has made general maintenance and tinkering almost non-existent. You may get a bit of that with some of the older games, but most new releases work about as well as a console game these days. Even overclocking has been dumbed down for the masses: Switch one or two settings on the BIOS and done. It's a far cry from the times of having to spend days adjusting the base lock while balancing the stability of other components in your system.

And well, FOMO is just subjective. I like to upgrade every 4-5 years, personally. By then, there's be some new console refresh anyway.
Compared to the old days? It's absolutely easier for 90% of the population. However, for this "top tier performance" that everyone croons about, it's still a tweaking game such as INI files, patches, items that need to be configured and so forth. It's still not completely unified like a console. But it has become a lot easier from the days of my ass trying to get that 620kb of conventional memory trying to get Betrayal at Krondor to run while having CD drivers, mouse drivers, svga drivers, EMS memory, and that pain the ass.

However with the issues of Proton and Linux not quite being as good as windows when it comes to steam and Bungie doing those bans, and other issues with games on the steam deck, I'm not on board for that. I just like unified boxes that consoles provide. Though I do miss making maps on Worms Armageddon and playing on those with friends. To be young again in the 90s.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
However, for this "top tier performance" that everyone croons about, it's still a tweaking game such as INI files, patches, items that need to be configured and so forth.
Weird. All I do is enter the game, go to the options section, crank everything up and start playing.

No need for tweaking anything imo, unless you are trying to run some really old game. For example I was trying out Morrowind some days ago and needed to install OpenMW and a few mods, but I consider that something good rather than bad, as I get the chance of making old games look better than they ever did back in the day.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
and 2 cores 4 thread g4560 can push 35+ fps in ac unity

no cpu has 10 times more cpu performance than ps4/xbox one. even in its best day, a single skylake core at 4 ghz is 3 times faster than a 1.6 ghz jaguar core.

1.1 ghz zen+ cores are equivalent to ps4 pro's jaguar cpus and here is its desktop performance in god of war

it practically matches ps4 pro performance. you don't need to brute force anything in latest titles

some games simply do not scale with IPC/single core. by your logic series x/ps5 should've ran all the games at a smooth silky 60 fps but it does not happen because things do not work as you envision. some game engines do not scale with IPC/single thread performance. some refuse to do so. this even affects the very consoles.

i can ran ac unity at 30 fps @1 ghz but it would struggle to run at a locked 60 fps @4 ghz despite the 4 times frequency. if you want to, i can just download the game and prove it to you.

elden ring works perfectly at a locked 30 fps on ps4 yet it drops frames all over on ps5/series x due to CPU. your logic does not even work for consoles themselves. by your logic, ps5/sx cpu is also 5 times faster than ps4/xbox one cpu yet here we are

do we take god of war, rdr 2, and even ac odyssey for example or three specifically broken ports at the start of the generation?

even in this video you can see that xbox one cpu... mostly matches xbox one cpu performance on desktop. (it cant one to one match one x performance because there are huge LOD cutbacks made on xbox version. you can see it in the video itself)

In other words, you could still have CONSOLE equivalent performance with a CONSOLE equivalent CPU on desktop even with those broken ports. its just that they did not scale forward. that is all.

so it wont happen because it never happened. if a game is designed to run @60 fps on a zen 2 core on consoles, it will run @60 fps on a zen 2 core on PC.

by the same virtue, it may be impossible to push 120 fps on console ports. i hope you get it

if game is specifically designed to run @30 fps target with 6 jaguar cores, then you can throw the world at it and it may refuse to scale. it all depends on the engine.

You took my comment way too seriously mate. I was simply saying that poor console to PC ports that ran at 30fps on PS4/XBO were possible to run at 60fps on PC by brute forcing performance with top end CPU hardware circa 2015. That won't be the case in the first half of this gen because console has clawed back so much CPU performance in the space of a single gen while PC CPU's have hit a bit of a brick wall due to a multitude of reasons.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Everybody Loves Raymond Traitor GIF by TV Land

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You took my comment way too seriously mate. I was simply saying that poor console to PC ports that ran at 30fps on PS4/XBO were possible to run at 60fps on PC by brute forcing performance with top end CPU hardware circa 2015. That won't be the case in the first half of this gen because console has clawed back so much CPU performance in the space of a single gen while PC CPU's have hit a bit of a brick wall due to a multitude of reasons.
If so than pc will still have better performance, graphics, IQ, controls, input lag, mods...

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i got a PC because i like the more online centric community nature PC has with games like TF2 encouraging mods, chat, and general communication while consoles feel more like a singleplayer experience, which isnt bad but PC just does the multiplayer component better, not to mention free online
it's not that good now but when i get a 6600xt it'll be a different story

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It is misleading at best and blatantly false at worst You do not have access to 99% of games ever released. Emulators are incredibly finnicky for a large amount of systems and most emulators do not run all or even most games accurately or without bugs/issues that weren't in the original versions.
xRiLqox.jpg

for one thing, SNES, Genesis, gameboy, PS1, basically all emulators for consoles made before 2000 are accurate enough to play all the games you want them to
for nintendo consoles, literally every nintendo system can be emulated, even the switch, and switch emulation is actually very very good right now.
Xbox consoles have a hard time being emulated sadly, so he's a bit wrong on that one but for one thing most xbox games are on PC with the exception of like a very few
PS consoles mostly have a good emulation scene outside of 4 and 5 which arent emulated for obvious reasons.
Another thing, you're not considering the huge backlog PC has. A lot of late 90s and 2000s games are easily playable on PC, so you dont just need emulation to get access to such games.

Brofist

Have you ever tried this? I hear people say this stuff all the time, "just plug it into a TV", but I never come across anyone who actually plays this way.

You don't wanna sit on a couch and use the PC normally (internet and stuff) you only wanna play games, so you have to boot up the games on the computer, and go to the couch and play, and it becomes this back and forth process, especially if you don't have the PC right next to your TV. I have no idea if I did something wrong here, but when I tried it, it was a moronic way to play.
I have my PC connected to my LG 55" C1, so yes I've tried it.

I play controller games on the TV and KB/M games on my monitor. My PC is near my TV cause why wouldn't it be.

ACESHIGH

Banned
There is still one excuse I haven't heard yet: The "PTSD programmer syndrome" a guy that works so hard at coding that when he gets home just wants to relax and play games on his console. The mere thought of turning on the PC and hitting the home button of the xbox controller to enable big picture gives him flashbacks of his hard day at work. Even if it is an entirely different activity. The device makes all the difference in the world.

C'mon guys. Six pages and I haven't seen that one yet. Don't disappoint me!

Stuart360

There is still one excuse I haven't heard yet: The "PTSD programmer syndrome" a guy that works so hard at coding that when he gets home just wants to relax and play games on his console. The mere thought of turning on the PC and hitting the home button of the xbox controller to enable big picture gives him flashbacks of his hard day at work. Even if it is an entirely different activity. The device makes all the difference in the world.

C'mon guys. Six pages and I haven't seen that one yet. Don't disappoint me!
It actually has been said lol, on the previous page i think, somewhere anyway.
Thats the thing with console only gamers, its always the same 30 year old PC gaming memes, the majority that have no relivence in 2022.

Rykan

for one thing, SNES, Genesis, gameboy, PS1, basically all emulators for consoles made before 2000 are accurate enough to play all the games you want them to
for nintendo consoles, literally every nintendo system can be emulated, even the switch, and switch emulation is actually very very good right now.
Xbox consoles have a hard time being emulated sadly, so he's a bit wrong on that one but for one thing most xbox games are on PC with the exception of like a very few
PS consoles mostly have a good emulation scene outside of 4 and 5 which arent emulated for obvious reasons.
Another thing, you're not considering the huge backlog PC has. A lot of late 90s and 2000s games are easily playable on PC, so you dont just need emulation to get access to such games.
This is a fairly inaccurate post on the current state of emulation. There are several consoles released before 2000 that have mediocre emulation that have nowhere near full compatibility or accuracy. Both Sega Consoles released after Genesis/Megadrive have struggled with emulation and N64 emulation is also notoriously difficult and bug ridden.

Switch emulation is not "Very very good" right now. It's not even close. Both Switch Emulators run a few games well. Most games run poorly/not at all and a large amount of games don't boot at all yet. PCS2 is a hackfest emulator. PCS2 lists 97% as Playable but only 1.15% is emulated perfectly. Dolphin (Which is a fucking incredible emulator by the way, hats off to these guys) still only has 36% of Wii/Gamecube games running perfectly. Everything else is playable, meaning it has emulation bugs or oddities.

Xbox emulation? Bad. Xbox 360 emulation? Also bad. PS3? Same, bad.

If the argument was: "You can play most games ever released on your PC" then there would be no argument here, but saying you can play "99% of every game ever released" is simply not true.

captainpat

Yep, never thought I'd be a pc main since I tend to prefer Japanese games but now jp devs are taking the platform a lot more seriously.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yep, never thought I'd be a pc main since I tend to prefer Japanese games but now jp devs are taking the platform a lot more seriously.
bruh......... If i'm being honest, PC is a better platform than PS to get japanese games on.
Tell me the platform where you can get Yume Nikki, Cave Story, Momodora, Kero Blaster and more on.... Hint, it's not the Playstation 5.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Unless you have your PC right next to your TV, then yes, walking around to switch on the game on is not preferable. When I have to walk around to switch on a game every day, several times a day, then yeah, it's a nonsense way to play, it's so much better to just have a console in that regard.

Even so, sometimes the game doesn't start right, and you have to walk back and check on it, or sometimes a program in the background is causing some issue, whatever, stuff like that becomes a frustration.

As I said, if you tried this, you know it's not a good way to play. You need some sort of keyboard or app or something to control the PC from your couch, which makes the entire thing pointless.

Besides, you need a console and a PC these days to get the full picture, too many exclusive games, so why bother.

You can operate Steam using a controller to switch and launch games with Big Picture mode, and you can boot to Big Picture mode as soon as you turn on the PC or laptop. There's really no need to pretend you have a PC

Last edited:

SNG32

Honestly I Agree with you OP. I still play consoles but my laptop that’s 3070 with a 5900hx amd cpu is a beast. It’s pretty much a portable Xbox and PS5 with emulation from the NES all the way up to the switch. I could spend all day on that thing with unlimited amounts of games you can play. It’s also my machine for JRPG’s and fighting games since you can play pretty much every game from those genres ever made. Let’s not even get started on the mods for games. Once you unlock a PC’s true potential it’s hard to go back to console.

SNG32

bruh......... If i'm being honest, PC is a better platform than PS to get japanese games on.
Tell me the platform where you can get Yume Nikki, Cave Story, Momodora, Kero Blaster and more on.... Hint, it's not the Playstation 5.
That’s not even scratching the surface with all the switch and 3DS games through emulation also. Also a lot of Japanese mobile games have releases on PC and non console.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And to all you guys talking emulation, that is a giant PC plus.

Pretty sure every gamer in the early 2000s when the internet and emulators came about (amazingly fast and effective too), played shit loads of arcade classics, NES, Sega and best of all..... NEO GEO. I could finally beat Nam 75!

SNG32

This is a fairly inaccurate post on the current state of emulation. There are several consoles released before 2000 that have mediocre emulation that have nowhere near full compatibility or accuracy. Both Sega Consoles released after Genesis/Megadrive have struggled with emulation and N64 emulation is also notoriously difficult and bug ridden.

Switch emulation is not "Very very good" right now. It's not even close. Both Switch Emulators run a few games well. Most games run poorly/not at all and a large amount of games don't boot at all yet. PCS2 is a hackfest emulator. PCS2 lists 97% as Playable but only 1.15% is emulated perfectly. Dolphin (Which is a fucking incredible emulator by the way, hats off to these guys) still only has 36% of Wii/Gamecube games running perfectly. Everything else is playable, meaning it has emulation bugs or oddities.

If the argument was: "You can play most games ever released on your PC" then there would be no argument here, but saying you can play "99% of every game ever released" is simply not true.
PC can emulate more PS3 games than a PS4 or PS5 could. I don’t no what your beef is with emulation but series X has emulation and can’t emulate the whole 360 and Xbox library. Nintendo Switch has emulation running in the background for Nes and Snes games and that’s not even close to what you can get on PC. In order for current gen to tap into previous generations emulation is how it will go which PC is ahead of the game in this aspect even if it doesn’t run perfect.

Rykan

PC can emulate more PS3 games than a PS4 or PS5 could. I don’t no what your beef is with emulation but series X has emulation and can’t emulate the whole 360 and Xbox library. Nintendo Switch has emulation running in the background for Nes and Snes games and that’s not even close to what you can get on PC. In order for current gen to tap into previous generations emulation is how it will go which PC is ahead of the game in this aspect even if it doesn’t run perfect.
I'm puzzled where this misunderstanding is coming from. I'm merely correcting another posters previous claim that you can play "99% of every game ever released on PC due to emulation". That is all. I'm not comparing it to consoles.

Hugare

PC + PS5 is my perfect combo

Got a powerful notebook recently, and nothing beats the feeling of installing old games on your new setup and see them running much much better than before

For some games, it's like experiencing them for the first time again.

Max Payne 3 at 4K/120 FPS was bliss

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Emulation will never be perfect. But the big majority of games are emulated good enough as performance is king.

SNG32

I'm puzzled where this misunderstanding is coming from. I'm merely correcting another posters previous claim that you can play "99% of every game ever released on PC due to emulation". That is all. I'm not comparing it to consoles.
It’s very rare that emulation plays 100 percent natively to the game.Even with all the games that are backwards compatible with the 360 and OG Xbox have enhancements and are not being emulated perfectly to the source if we are going by your logic. There are probably oddities in that but you wouldn’t notice because it’s an extremely playable experience. For the most part games that are playable through emulation is usually an almost perfect experience. You were saying that emulation is bad for PS3 and Xbox emulation it isn’t bad if you have a good gpu and cpu bought in the last few years.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Like what?, PS exclusives, many of which have come and are going to come to PC. Trust me, PC gamers are not sat around twidling their thumbs between game releases with nothing to play like console gamers often are.
Thats like saying Xbox only gamers have missied out of tons of PS games, Nintendo games, PC games, PS only users have missed out on Xbox games, PC games, Nintendo games, etc.
The point still stands that PC has the majority of all games on PC, compared to the individual consoles.

Bingo. PC has the most of all games for every platforms, considering it has some console exclusives here and there. It has Halo, Sunset Overdrive which PS4-only players can't play, and God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn which Xbox-only players can't play. Not to mention the excellent backward compatibility and PC exclusives titles.

Rykan

It’s very rare that emulation plays 100 percent natively to the game.Even with all the games that are backwards compatible with the 360 and OG Xbox have enhancements and are not being emulated perfectly to the source if we are going by your logic. There are probably oddities in that but you wouldn’t notice because it’s an extremely playable experience. For the most part games that are playable through emulation is usually an almost perfect experience. You were saying that emulation is bad for PS3 and Xbox emulation it isn’t bad if you have a good gpu and cpu bought in the last few years.
I'm not aware of any bugs or issues with backwards compatible titles on Xbox One/Seires console. So what oddities are you refering to?

The consoles you mentioned (PS3, Xbox) offer nowhere near an "almost perfect experience" in the vast majority of titles regardless of how good your GPU or CPU is. PCS3 only has 67% of games listed as "playable". Xemu is at 60%. Note that this is playable: This means that you can technically finish the game. So 25% to 30% of games can't even be finished and most of the other ones have bugs or oddities in them.

So yes, the emulation for these systems is "bad" when considering a "You can play 99% of games ever released on PC" is the claim being made.

Once you go PC only, its really hard to go back to consoles.
Got my first PC in 2014 or thereabouts. I kicked myself for not getting one before.

Since then, I've only had a PS4 Pro (which I gave away to one of my nephews) and Nintendo consoles. And even at the moment, my Switch is largely unused. I no longer feel the need to get modern PS/Xbox consoles.

Shwing

Yep thats how i'm set up. My PC is permanently connected to my 55inch tv. I play from my couch, and i even control my PC through my XSX controller by using XPadder.
My PC is basically my entertainment hub. All my gaming, movies, tv, and music are consumed from my PC.

Similar setup here...
PS5 & PC permanently connected to 65inch tv. Play from a recliner which is around 5 feet in front of set. Use both K&M and Xbox One controller with PC depending on game.

ArtHands

I have three consoles and a PC. I really don't care about launching my PC from the desktop and then moving to the couch, doesn't seem like big deal to me.

And as I said earlier, you could use Big Picture to control Steam with the gamepad.

Same. Also console controllers require charging, and every time I conclude my gaming session I will walk to the charging cradle by the TV/console to dock my controller. And when I want to play console, I'll have to wait to the charging cradle to pick up my controller. That're still a fair share of walking even with consoles.

Kabelly

I finally have built mine as well after waiting so long for the opportunity to build one. its been about a week.

I'm still waiting to get the TV for it (LG C1) but I'm playing Elden Ring on max 60fps on my 1080p tv right now and it's still such a difference from my ps4. Playing on a couch with a Nintendo Switch pro controller via Bluetooth.

This is why I joined the PC space. Once I read a bit more on joyshockmapper I'm going to try to make an Elden Ring gyro configuration.

Last edited:
Top Bottom