• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After going through Ragnarok, God of War III feels like a breath of fresh air

Gaiff

Decided to give the remastered version a spin on the good ol' PS4 Pro and damn does it hold up well.

The thing that struck me the most after a few hours is that there are no companions. It's just Kratos. I'll be the first to say that I appreciate Mimir's commentary and humor here and there but I absolutely do not miss the little shit that is Atreus. I go through levels and no one tells me a damn thing on how to solve the puzzles. The camera zooms in on important elements, then it's up to the player to figure out the rest. Granted, this is a double-edged sword because some puzzles are incredibly ambiguous while others are oddly specific. The dev at least respects its audience enough to let them think for themselves and not give hints that no one asked for.

The pacing is great and there isn't a dull moment. Between traversing gorgeous environments, you're met with combat encounters, puzzles, platforming, and traversal. The latter two are kind of missing from the modern games with the only traversal you do being "push direction to climb mountain". The platforming also isn't perfect by any means and the camera is sometimes questionable, leading to sections being harder than they should be but I appreciate the variety. Ragnarok basically boils down to; clear room, solve puzzle, repeat, which wears thin quickly for a game that is 30-hours long.

The bosses of epic scales are also kind of missing in the newer entries but this might be due to a camera limitation more than anything else. Can't have 300m long monsters and see them in all their splendor when the camera is this close to the player. It would still be neat to see a boss of the scale and epicenes of Poseidon but admittedly, this fight is lacking in terms of depth and is really just a visual spectacle to get the player pumped more than the game flexing its combat mechanics. Still, it's a nice way to end a level on a high and memorable note.

Despite the flaws, I'm still thoroughly enjoying my time with the game, perhaps even more than back in 2010 because AAA games like this just don't exist anymore. No long and slow walking sections, no 10-minutes-long cutscenes. The game seldom wrestles the control away from the player and there is almost no padding. It doesn't overstay its welcome. It's action-packed, well-paced, and delivers what the player wants in spades.

I know this might not be the most popular take as Ragnarok is beloved and still fresh. I'm also no fan of it but I was surprised at how enjoyable GOWIII is to this day regardless of my conflicted opinion on the latest entry. I had 2018 firmly at number 1 in the series but this might change after I beat this one again.

tl;dr GOWIII is still great, maybe even better than at the time of its release.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Watching videos of GOW games, the old games are much better. GOW 1 and 2 were great games on PS2 when I played them. Ya, it's an old era kind of hack and slash game, while modern day games like to go the earth tone cinematic route. But the boss battles in old GOW games are leagues better than the recent games.

GOW 3 boss battles are incredible. Easily best boss battles in any action game I've seen.

gow3isben

Yeah and back when it released people were saying how tired of the formula they were.

GOW3 was my favorite game of all time when it released.

Ragnarok is currently my favorite game of all time. In 10 years people will be talking about how they miss they epic story, gameplay, and characters of Ragnarok when the next fad in these types of games comes around and people are tired of it.

Last edited:

DW74

I prefer the Greek mythology setting a lot more than Norse mythology. But they obviously had to move on from that, I admit.

But I also prefer Kratos as he was. Banging chicks and severing...everything. Not Dad of War.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Yeah and back when it released people were saying how tired of the formula they were.

GOW3 was my favorite game of all time when it released.

Ragnarok is currently my favorite game of all time. In 10 years people will be talking about how they miss they epic story, gameplay, and characters of Ragnarok when the next fad in these types of games comes around and people are tired of it.
You probably have a point. Back then, we still had character action games in Ninja Gaiden, God of War, Bayonetta, DMC, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, and many others. This was also in an era following one where they were fairly popular and we had games such as Shinobi, Kunoichi, Ninety Nine Nights, No More Heroes, God Hand, and so many that escape me.

Not many are left these days. DMC is still around. Bayonetta is back after several years but runs on a toaster, and the same goes for No More Heroes. The rest is mostly MIA and they don't compete with their contemporaries in terms of budget and production values.

If the story-driven third person action game is completely dead in 10 years, then I suppose people will look back at it fondly.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Classic GoW is leagues ahead of the new style.

Gow 2018 was a brilliant breath of fresh air. Ragnarok is so boring I've dropped it 35 hours in.

OLD kratos and god of war playstyle easily served 9? games with playability and options.

I hope they totally change style again for any other god of wars cos the new style doesn't work for me personally. But, I can only comment on what I've played so far and I can say while 2018 was a brilliant game...something is off with ragnarok. Its boring as shit.

Last edited:

hinch7

The older games are just more fun to play (I say this as 2018 is still my favorite GOW and one of my top 5 games). Having a fixed camera angle above and a much wider FOV allows for much faster and fun combat. Chaining attacks with arial juggling and aoe'ing multiple enemies just feel great. The one thing I really hate about the old games are the death traps and mazes.. thank goodness they got rid of those POS.

Just simple, fun combat. And a straight forward revenge story with epic battle verses other gods and creatures. No extended walking sections or overly cinematic scenes and drama.. helps too.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
Of course. They were fantastic games, that were simply fun and didn't preoccupy themselves with winning Oscars or pleasing rainbow haired morons. Their presentation was a lot better too, it actually felt classy and grand in scope as it should, unlike GINO. I still don't know why they decided to turn the entire Norse pantheon into a bunch of inbred hicks/metheads.

ProtoByte

It's pretty funny, because back when GOW3 came out the conversation was steered towards the "This formula is tired" conversation now being applied to Ragnarok.

I'm not at all nostalgic for character action combat or its truly one-path linear design. It's just not as visceral, and the depth can only come from how many combos you can pull off. Level design, positioning and enemy AI just aren't the focus or strengths of that genre. So no matter how complex the button-combos are, the combat itself is too simplistic for me.

And as much as people laud the spectacle of the boss fights in GOW3, the truth is that they're not mechanically engaging. The spectacle of Poseidon, for example, has zero to do with player input beyond QTEs, and the players "freedom" is very limited. It's doubly ironic, since part of the beef people allege with the new "formula" for GoW is a focus on spectacle.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Of course the old games were awesome but they had to shake it up to keep the ip going and they executed that perfectly. I also think older games in general hold up well because they are much shorter with less padding. People were fine with that back then. Now it would be " I ain't paying full price for a 10 hour game".

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Kronos holding Kratos between his fingers will likely never be matched in a modern game.

Hell id argue the initial assault on Olympus tied with the Poseidon boss fight is the best opening to a game ever.
Yes even above The Last of Us which is my number two opening to a game.

I liked the Stranger fight but the spectacle of the battle wasnt anywhere near as insane as climbing Gaia then needing to take on Poseidon.

GymWolf

The opposite for me, never been a fan of original gow but i was hooked with 2018.

People love the kronos boss fight, i always thought it was mechanically poor AF, same for all the spectacular big boss fights, a random berserker\valkirye is better than majority of boss fights in the 4 previous games, combined.

Last edited:
Yeah, good games. I even played those PSP games. I'm retroactively sorry I said anything nice about 2018. I guess the mind allows 2018 to work if you think you arr going back to the good games.

Once you realize they are never going back, like Tomb Raider, the bottom falls out.

Kronos holding Kratos between his fingers will likely never be matched in a modern game.

Hell id argue the initial assault on Olympus tied with the Poseidon boss fight is the best opening to a game ever.
Yes even above The Last of Us which is my number two opening to a game.

I liked the Stranger fight but the spectacle of the battle wasnt anywhere near as insane as climbing Gaia then needing to take on Poseidon.
Final Fantasy 16 would like a word with you!

I might agree with you here and I know exactly what you mean.

There was too much hand holding, talking, slow story driven moments in Ragnarok. And I don't like how they changed Kratos. It was still OK in 2018 but here this is too much and old Kratos, the god slayer, isn't there anymore. Kratos is now a pussy.

If you liked GoW 3 you'll also like Ascension which is really underrated.

Totally out of context. We are not talking about how the game looked at all. It's about gameplay, story, hand holding never ending tutorials etc. And GoW 3 actually still looks very good and better than many PS4 games (and Ragnarok is a PS4 game).

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The old God of Wars were better. They focused on gameplay first and foremost, while the new ones are more focused on story.
Plus like you said, there’s no massive boss fights like back in the day. Something the series was largely known for.

I played some of GoW III for the 1st time about a year ago and it didn't age well imo

I think the story and combat of Ragnarok stands head and shoulders above GoW III
Agreed. I’ve played through the first few games recently. Paradoxically, the first two games seem fine. I think the more basic combat and plot of the PS2 games allow them to be timeless.

I actually prefer the 2018 PS4 game the most.

rolandss

I loved GOW III on PS3 when it came out. It was a brutal spectacle. I'm playing through Ragnarok at the moment, and while enjoyable it just has this samey feel to it to a bunch of other games I've played recently. It also seems a bit more sterile than GOW III.

Matt_Fox

I too preferred the God Of War series when it was fast-paced hack n' slash arcade action.

I'm about 12 hours into GOW:Ragnarok now and I'm enjoying it well enough, but the child sidekick, constant cut-scene interruption, and extreme hand-holding during puzzles make it less fun than the originals.

Matt_Fox

I actually never played part 3. Kinda tempting.

Part 3 has been remastered and so it stands up better graphically than the others - I'd definitely recommend it. Everything is amped up to 11. Huge bosses, ultra violence, there are even QT sex scenes in it.

If you've only seen 'sad dad' Kratos from the new games then you'll get a kick from seeing him in his rage-filled prime.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Part 3 has been remastered and so it stands up better graphically than the others - I'd definitely recommend it. Everything is amped up to 11. Huge bosses, ultra violence, there are even QT sex scenes in it.

If you've only seen 'sad dad' Kratos from the new games then you'll get a kick from seeing him in his rage-filled prime.
I think they gave it away on PS4. Pretty sure I own it.

Hugare

It's pretty funny, because back when GOW3 came out the conversation was steered towards the "This formula is tired" conversation now being applied to Ragnarok.

I'm not at all nostalgic for character action combat or its truly one-path linear design. It's just not as visceral, and the depth can only come from how many combos you can pull off. Level design, positioning and enemy AI just aren't the focus or strengths of that genre. So no matter how complex the button-combos are, the combat itself is too simplistic for me.

And as much as people laud the spectacle of the boss fights in GOW3, the truth is that they're not mechanically engaging. The spectacle of Poseidon, for example, has zero to do with player input beyond QTEs, and the players "freedom" is very limited. It's doubly ironic, since part of the beef people allege with the new "formula" for GoW is a focus on spectacle.
GOW 3 was the 6th GOW game launched with that combat system. And personaly, I only got tired of the combat system by Ascension, the 10th GOW game using that formula

Ragnarok was the 2nd one and I'm already tired of the new format

They've killed it by making a very, very bloated and terribly paced game. Even adding a new playable character wasn't enough.

I really enjoy Ragnarok's combat, I trully do. But it was 3 entire old GOW games of badly paced content.

Last edited:
Top Bottom