• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Nvidia introduced the 8GB 4060/Ti, get ready for a new narrative push: some reviewers will show only "medium" or "high" settings on benchmarks.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
They're already setting the stage for this:

On the gaming side, high resolutions also generally require an increase in VRAM. Occasionally, a game may launch with an optional extra large texture pack and allocate more VRAM. And there are a handful of games which run best at the “High” preset on the 4060 Ti (8GB), and maxed-out "Ultra" settings on the 4060 Ti (16GB). In most games, both versions of the GeForce RTX 4060 Ti (8GB and 16GB) can play at max settings and will deliver the same performance.

They know they have a dud on their hands. 2023 games are using shadowmaps and texture packs that conform to the >12GB available memory on the 9th gen consoles, so they will run like crap on these new cards unless the settings are pared down. It's their choice for a 128bit bus on >$300 graphics cards that led to this.

Nonetheless, they will definitely write in the reviewer's guidelines to always set certain games to high or even medium to make these cards look less crappy. And we all know what eventually happens to reviewers who don't conform to their demands, so many of them will bend the knee because losing access to early reviews is a major threat to their income.

This is just a heads-up. When you start seeing reviews where the 4060 Ti 8GB doesn't look that bad, be sure to check which settings are being used on 2023 games like Hogwarts Legacy, Jedi Survivor and Dead Space Remake.

Last edited:

Hoddi

100%

The article kinda skates past the difference between bandwidth and capacity. Having a large cache to contain the immediate GPU buffer only helps against low bandwidth which is where you need it the most. But it won’t help where capacity is the concern which is what most people are complaining about.

All of those games shown already work well with 8GB GPUs. Adding a higher level cache obviously improves performance in such a scenario; but what about those that don’t?

Last edited:

kiphalfton

They've really been fucking with the pricing:naming convention this generation.

RTX 4060 is fine at $299, but not for 8GB VRAM
RTX 4060 Ti is fine at $399, but not for 8GB VRAM
RTX 4070 should be $499
RTX 4070 Ti should be $599
RTX 4080 should be $799
RTX 4080 Ti (which doesn't yet exist) should be $1199
RTX 4090 is what it is.

Nvidia doing damage control.

Nah, they're just making things worse.

Last edited:

Bojji

Revivers should (and some will) test in normal way to show people to avoid buying 8gb GPUs for 400 dollars and beyond.

With every generation requirements go up and 8gb GPUs should be a thing of the past in 2023.

T4keD0wN

I was more concerned about DLSS3 frame gen usage in comparisons against previous gen gpus and not being transparent about it as an attempt to make the new cards look less shit, but at least theyre somewhat transparent abouot it, looking at the graphs its clear that they want people to only look at the brightly highlighted green bars.
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Is the 4060ti weaker than a 3070 without frame gen at 1440p+? Looks like it.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Some serious hardware snobs here, do you really think most gamers rocking a 4gb 1060 are going be crushed thier new card can't do ultra and has 8gb of ram?

1 - There's no such thing as a 1060 4GB. If you have one, you got scammed by someone on alibaba/aliexpress.

2 - In case you're talking about the 1060 3GB, its release MSRP 7 years ago was $210. At that time, for $250 you could get the 6GB GTX1060, for $270 the 8GB RX480 and for $390 the GTX 980 Ti.

i0QH5xS.png

Which one of these do you want to mention to try harder at painting the RTX 4060 series as a good catch?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
1 - There's no such thing as a 1060 4GB. If you have one, you got scammed by someone on alibaba/aliexpress.

2 - In case you're talking about the 1060 3GB, its release MSRP 7 years ago was $210. At that time, for $250 you could get the 6GB GTX1060, for $270 the 8GB RX480 and for $390 the GTX 980 Ti.

i0QH5xS.png

Which one of these do you want to mention to try harder at painting the RTX 4060 series as a good catch?

There is a 3gb and a 6gb (OMG i said 4 by mistake!), your clearly missing the point completely, that person running a 1060 will likely be happy with an 4060.
Your minor correction and clear bias doesn't make point invalid.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

i0QH5xS.png

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the person you responded to has no clue WTF you're talking about (or WTF they're talking about for that matter).

The sad thing is they're being taken advantage as a consumer (despite you explaining what the issue is) and yet they still think it's okay.

But hey, it's new, it's shiny, it's cheaper than the other models, so that's all that matters. Right?

Last edited:

Spyxos

I'll say it again, ultra is mostly unnecessary for a number of settings in newer games.

Why use ultra when high and sometimes medium looks damn near if not exactly the same?

Oh, and use 1440p on your 4k monitor.
It looks just as good for the newest of games.
Ultra and High can look very similar in most games, but medium certainly not. This is not a 1440p card, it is a 1080p card and even then it is vram limited for 1080p.

Topher

Gold Member
There is a 3gb and a 6gb (OMG i said 4 by mistake!), your clearly missing the point completely, that person running a 1060 will likely be happy with an 4060.
Your minor correction and clear bias doesn't make point invalid.

Not sure I understand the point either. I mean.....yeah, probably every single gamer out there still playing on a 1060 would be thrilled to have a 2060, 3060 and especially 4060. That doesn't mean the people who are looking at this card in the context of today are "snobs".

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I mean.....yeah, probably every single gamer out there still playing on a 1060 would be thrilled to have a 2060, 3060 and especially 4060. That doesn't mean the people who are looking at this card in the context of today are "snobs".

People with a 1060 being happy with a 4060 means the same as people with embedded graphics being happy with a 4060.
Yes it's an upgrade... that still doesn't make the 4060 is a good catch for the suggested price.

Had the 8GB 4060 been introduced at $180 and the 16GB 4060 Ti at $280 then yes, that would have been a nice catch.

The 4060's AD107 is a tiny 145mm^2 chip using just 4 channels of cheap GDDR6 memory into a cheap and tiny PCB.
The cost of the whole thing is probably less than $80 and that's counting on 4N being super expensive.

The '07 chips have been traditionally used for the bottom-end 50 series:
- GA107 on the $250 RTX3050/2050
- GP107 on the $150 GTX1050 Ti
- GM107 on the $150 GTX 750 Ti
- GK107 on the $110 GTX650

Nvidia is simply cutting the consumers out of the technological gains allowed by foundry node advancements, to take increasingly more money to themselves.

Knightime_X

Ultra and High can look very similar in most games, but medium certainly not. This is not a 1440p card, it is a 1080p card and even then it is vram limited for 1080p.
Sometimes even medium doesn't look bad.
Slap on some dlss performance and you'll be good to go!

I don't know... I think I found my sweet spot in satisfactory for performance and image quality IF I can't have both.

lukilladog

Some serious hardware snobs here, do you really think most gamers rocking a 4gb 1060 are going be crushed thier new card can't do ultra and has 8gb of ram?

I am sure they learned a thing or two after buying a card with a sub-optimal amount of vram. Having new "gaming" cards that can't do 2.5 year old console textures is unacceptable in any segment.

That's what happens when there's not a competitor willing to undercut or outperform them.

Friendly reminder that Lisa Su (CEO of AMD)'s grandfather is Jensen Huang (CEO of NVIDIA)'s uncle.

yurinka

They've really been fucking with the pricing:naming convention this generation.

RTX 4060 is fine at $299, but not for 8GB VRAM
RTX 4060 Ti is fine at $399, but not for 8GB VRAM
RTX 4070 should be $499
RTX 4070 Ti should be $599
RTX 4080 should be $799
RTX 4080 Ti (which doesn't yet exist) should be $1199
RTX 4090 is what it is.

Nah, they're just making things worse.
I think that doesn't make sense to pay more for a GPU than for a console.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not sure I understand the point either. I mean.....yeah, probably every single gamer out there still playing on a 1060 would be thrilled to have a 2060, 3060 and especially 4060. That doesn't mean the people who are looking at this card in the context of today are "snobs".

But looking at in terms of what context? Vs a higher end more expensive card or are we still living in 2015 when cards were a better deal?
Perhaps if amd were to step up thier game nvidia would be more compelled to offer cheaper more powerfull cards. Nvidia will release what the market will tolerate.

It just doesn't make sense to come running to a 4060 release thread and talk about how horrible it is vs 8 years ago or about how bad it is vs high end expensive cards. I don't have a horse in the $299 gpu card race so it's not personal bias driving my comments.
I guess the bottom line is, new in box at a store, at $299, what can you get that's better?

lukilladog

That's what happens when there's not a competitor willing to undercut or outperform them.

Friendly reminder that Lisa Su (CEO of AMD)'s grandfather is Jensen Huang (CEO of NVIDIA)'s uncle.

As far as I am concerned they are still doing the same things since their last lawsuit, but with settlements this low, of course they don't care.

"The lawsuit was brought against Nvidia and AMD in July. It alleged the two companies "conspired to fix, raise, maintain and stabilize prices of GPUs sold in the United States". It also said that they "colluded to coordinate the timing of new product introductions that were based on similar, competing technologies which also had the effect of fixing, raising, maintaining, and stabilizing GPU prices"."

Trogdor1123

Doesn’t it make sense to use lower textures? We don’t expect them to do 4K so why do we expect them to do the max elsewhere?

In my mind we should review products how they will be expected to be used.

lukilladog

Doesn’t it make sense to use lower textures? We don’t expect them to do 4K so why do we expect them to do the max elsewhere?

In my mind we should review products how they will be expected to be used.

These cards should be doing 4k, 2.5 year old consoles do 1800p regularly. On Pc, playing at console resolution used to be the job of the cheapest of the cheapest cards and integrated graphics.

Hell, my gtx 660 was able to handle Tomb Raider 2013 at 4k (4xSSAA) render resolution:

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

These cards should be doing 4k, 2.5 year old consoles do 1800p regularly. On Pc, playing at console resolution used to be the job of the cheapest of the cheapest cards and integrated graphics.
Is that correct? I assume a card like this was still aimed at 1080 or maybe 1440

lukilladog

Is that correct? I assume a card like this was still aimed at 1080 or maybe 1440

Marketing apology BS (from Nvidia). Watch my clip above.

This class of cards used to handle fine the Ultra texture mod in Crysis 2, 1080p 10 years ago:

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

lukilladog

The rtx 4060 has 16.67% the cores of the full AD102 die.

The rtx 3050 has 23.8% the cores of the 3090Ti.

The rtx 4060Ti has 23.6% the cores of the full AD102 die.

They started with this crap since the 970, it's part of a bigger plan to maximize profit, Jen Hsun really doesn't like the idea of sub $500 gaming cards anymore.

Reactions: Gp1

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'll say it again, ultra is mostly unnecessary for a number of settings in newer games.

Why use ultra when high and sometimes medium looks damn near if not exactly the same?

Oh, and use 1440p on your 4k monitor.
It looks just as good for the newest of games.
First off if your going to run 1440p then buy a 1440p monitor and if you think 1440p on a 4k monitor looks just as good you need your eyes checked

Staring George Costanza GIF

I agree with you to a large degree as I have a friend building a new PC upgrading from a 1060 and he is pretty excited about the 4060 and he only plays at 1080p.

Its like the bashing of the 4070ti I played some on my buddies 7700x 4070ti prebuilt at 1440p and that little machine kicks ass.

lukilladog

I agree with you to a large degree as I have a friend building a new PC upgrading from a 1060 and he is pretty excited about the 4060 and he only plays at 1080p.

If he is really your friend you should tell him to get the 16gb version, newer games at 1080p on 8gb cards start to suffer problems because they are choking on it. Buying a new card with improved RT, getting worse texture quality than some ps4 games, and then not being able to use modest RT effects like RT shadows because 8gb is not enough... that is not what I'd call "kick ass".

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I always appreciate it when reviewers take the time to benchmark both ultra and high. When you are cheap and looking at the lower-end parts, ultra isn't necessarily always a requirement. Maybe even going to medium settings when reviewing the weakest cards is fine (like the rx64/6500).

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If he is really your friend you should tell him to get the 16gb version, newer games at 1080p on 8gb cards start to suffer problems because they are choking on it. Buying a new card with improved RT, getting worse texture quality than some ps4 games, and then not being able to use modest RT effects like RT shadows because 8gb is not enough... that is not what I'd call "kick ass".
He is pretty set on the regular 4060 and for him the extra $200 isn’t worth it as he has a set budget

Top Bottom