• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Nvidia introduced the 8GB 4060/Ti, get ready for a new narrative push: some reviewers will show only "medium" or "high" settings on benchmarks.

hlm666

If they do start benchmarking medium/high it should work out ok for AMD aswell, it's not like their gpu for this segment has anymore vram......... There is more than nvidia being asshats here, the thread should have just been titled new 8gb gpus some reviewers might lower settings or something. Everyone was ok with reviewers not turning on raytracing in supported games when testing "max" settings for the past few years so why care now when someone isn't going to be using "max" settings when they havn't been anyway.

Hydroxy

I'll say it again, ultra is mostly unnecessary for a number of settings in newer games.

Why use ultra when high and sometimes medium looks damn near if not exactly the same?

Oh, and use 1440p on your 4k monitor.
It looks just as good for the newest of games.
That is not the point. Yes people should play on high as that looks almost the same but reviewers should test on both high and ultra to push the gpu to its limits so we can get a proper idea of the limitations of the card.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
If they do start benchmarking medium/high it should work out ok for AMD aswell, it's not like their gpu for this segment has anymore vram......... There is more than nvidia being asshats here, the thread should have just been titled new 8gb gpus some reviewers might lower settings or something. Everyone was ok with reviewers not turning on raytracing in supported games when testing "max" settings for the past few years so why care now when someone isn't going to be using "max" settings when they havn't been anyway.

If AMD decides to charge $500 for their cheapest RDNA3 GPU with more than 8GB VRAM then they can go fuck right off as well.

Bojji

No 4060Ti should have about a 10% benefit in raster and more in games using heavy RT.

8GB is mostly fine for now, apart from a few badly optimized console ports, but not very future proof. 12 would have been safer, for sure.

It already loses to 3070 in most 3d marks.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Here it is, guys. The narrative push I mentioned in the first post.

Techpowerup, after giving the 4060 Ti a "Highly Recommended" stamp:

No doubt, you can find edge cases where 8 GB will not be enough, but for thousands of games it will be a complete non-issue, and I think it's not unreasonable for buyers in this price-sensitive segment to to set textures to High instead of Ultra, for two or three titles.

Fails to mention how those "two or three" titles (actually 5 or 6 by now) are almost all the high profile releases from 2023. Then speaks of a $400 video card as a "price-sensitive segment", for which it's reasonable for buyers to set textures to High.
And the new $400 card is still very good for "thousands of games".
Because that's why we buy brand new $400 graphics cards, to play thousands of old games, right?

Here it is, guys. The narrative push I mentioned in the first post.

Techpowerup, after giving the 4060 Ti a "Highly Recommended" stamp:

Fails to mention how those "two or three" titles (actually 5 or 6 by now) are almost all the high profile releases from 2023. Then speaks of a $400 video card as a "price-sensitive segment", for which it's reasonable for buyers to set textures to High.
And the new $400 card is still very good for "thousands of games".
Because that's why we buy brand new $400 graphics cards, to play thousands of old games, right?
have you seen the reviews?

there is no narrative.

dave_d

Crypto fuckers that were buying GPUs for $2k-$3k and now we have this.
Umm, you do get that it's hard to compete with someone who's making money off a product right? I mean they're willing to pay more because they'll make it back afterwards. I mean econ 101/102.

Larxia

They've really been fucking with the pricing:naming convention this generation.

RTX 4060 is fine at $299, but not for 8GB VRAM
RTX 4060 Ti is fine at $399, but not for 8GB VRAM
RTX 4070 should be $499
RTX 4070 Ti should be $599
RTX 4080 should be $799
RTX 4080 Ti (which doesn't yet exist) should be $1199
RTX 4090 is what it is.

Nah, they're just making things worse.
Even the "should" prices you list are insane to me... I bought my GTX 1080 for less than 500€ in 2017 :messenger_crying:
I remember when gpu were like, 200-300 for XX60, 300-400 for XX70, and 500-600 for XX80.
Few years ago, 1000€ was only for luxery gpu like 90 and Titan. Today a 90 is 2000€+

Last edited:

Kaleinc

Banned
Umm, you do get that it's hard to compete with someone who's making money off a product right? I mean they're willing to pay more because they'll make it back afterwards. I mean econ 101/102.
Well, enjoy low-mid gpus for $500. I mean leather jacket econ 101/102

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The german publications are blowing the whistle this time.

Translation:

Right now, some YouTube channels are already publishing the first "teasers" of their respective tests of the GeForce RTX 4060, which are not a breach of the NDA. Instead, the corresponding videos and shorts are authorized by Nvidia insofar as selected influencers are already allowed to give a preview of the new graphics card under exclusive permission of the manufacturer - if they focus their reporting on the performance gain via DLSS 3 including frame generation, only compare it in selected games, and only test it with settings specified by Nvidia.

Nvidia consequently plays the content creators off against each other: Those who are allowed to report earlier can be sure of more attention and thus higher revenues. Accordingly, peer pressure is forced, because those who do not report potentially lose viewers to competing channels. For the manufacturer, this approach has several advantages. On the one hand, Nvidia can place effective advertisements via the supposedly trustworthy influencers, and on the other hand, the narrative for the independent tests, which will only be released on June 28, is already set: The first impression is the most important one.

As ComputerBase has learned from relevant sources, Nvidia wants to rely on this kind of exclusive advertising teasers more often and on a broader scale in the future.

Translation:
Nvidia gets serious and wants to focus the coverage of the Geforce RTX 4060, which will be released on June 29 and is positioned in the lower mid-range, on the possible performance gains due to AI upsampling with DLSS 3 and as well the intermediate frame generator "Frame Generation" right from the start. The chip developer goes new and sometimes dubious ways for this.

Nvidia has allowed selected YouTube channels like JayzTwoCents, Daniel Owen, ElAnalistaDeBits and Chaowanke to publish first benchmarks, but there is a "small" catch. The YouTubers and influencers were only allowed to talk about games handpicked by Nvidia and had to focus on the performance gains due to DLSS 3 and the intermediate frame generator "Frame Generation".

While the first independent reviews of the Geforce RTX 4060 will only be published on June 28 and thus one day before the sales launch, the manufacturer presumably wants to ensure the best possible first and thus mostly lasting impression. By letting third parties advertise its new graphics card in this way, Nvidia degrades the YouTubers to PR spokespeople and advertising partners.

As already during the entire marketing phase for the Geforce RTX 4060 and Geforce RTX 4060 Ti with 8 GiByte, Nvidia would rather focus on DLSS 3 and Frame Generation in direct comparison with DLSS 2 and less on the tight graphics memory, which AMD's Radeon RX 7600 also has to offer. It will be very exciting to see if Nvidia wants to establish this kind of questionable "pre-tests" in the future.

List of certified shills:

- Daniel Owen
- JayzTwoCents
- ElAnalistaDeBits
- Chaowanke (never heard of this one)

winjer

Gold Member

Translation:

Translation:

- Daniel Owen
- JayzTwoCents
- ElAnalistaDeBits

I'm surprised Digital Foundry wasn't in the list.
Alex is one of the biggest NVidia fanboys on the planet.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
- Daniel Owen
I'm watching the video and to be honest, he keeps bringing up the limitations that nvidia imposed on him and keeps talking about the settings he's allowed to show and the fact that frame generation isn't widely available in older nor newer games. He also mentions the fact that Nvidia carefully selected games and settings that wouldn't spill over the 8GB VRAM.

Seems like the fair-est possible video he could do, given the circumstances.

Looking at reddit comments it seems like everyone is surprised Alex didn't jump on this bandwagon, which pretty much means no one believes him to be even tangentially unbiased anymore.
But to be honest, I don't think DF was ever in the business of being the first to show reviews. Their hardware reviews seem to come up later than everyone else's.

So what's probably going to happen is that DF will post a 4060 review pretty late, but if Alex is the one reviewing the hardware then we can be sure it'll have lots of cyberpunk DLSS3 tests just like Nvidia orders wants him to.

winjer

Gold Member
Looking at reddit comments it seems like everyone is surprised Alex didn't jump on this bandwagon, which pretty much means no one believes him to be even tangentially unbiased anymore.
But to be honest, I don't think DF was ever in the business of being the first to show reviews. Their hardware reviews seem to come up later than everyone else's.

So what's probably going to happen is that DF will post a 4060 review pretty late, but if Alex is the one reviewing the hardware then we can be sure it'll have lots of cyberpunk DLSS3 tests just like Nvidia orders wants him to.

But he was never unbiased. He always had a very strong NVidia bias.
He has even admitted to never have only used NVidia GPUs on his PCs.

MMaRsu

Banned
I have a 3070 paired with a 5700x and 32gb ram. I'd like to game more on 4k, is the 4070 TI the best option? My mobo doesn't support PCIe4

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Translation:

Translation:

- Daniel Owen
- JayzTwoCents
- ElAnalistaDeBits
At least JayzTwoCents stated this in the video about 4060, which came out yesterday or something. Not that he isn't shill, but this framing isn't the best

RoboFu

One of the green rats
To be fair it’s a low to med card. If they actually state it then I don’t see any problems.

The pricing from top to bottom is a bit bonkers, but since when are entry or medium level cards meant for high or max settings?
That was always the entire point of the higher tier cards, to be able to select on every option max, while you get only "half of the game" with the affordable cards.
8GB is only an immediate problem if games don't offer actual smaller texture packs and the min requirement is in some points exactly equal to max requirements.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

- JayzTwoCents
Im not even surprised.
Didnt the channel recently take down a 4060 review because his community basically called the review an ad.
Alex is one of the biggest NVidia fanboys on the planet.
200w.gif

Do you guys NOT watch DF?

Recent Nvidia reviews from Digital Foundry near literally all of them are negative:

Nvidia GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Review: The Disappointment Is Real​

Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Review: A Solid But Unspectacular 1440p Upgrade​

Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Review: How Fast Is It... And Is It Worth The Money?​

Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 Review: Great Performance, Poor Pricing​

Alex also doesnt do hardware reviews, Rich does and if he shills for anyone its the consumer.....hes the only reviewer ive seen recommend the Arc GPUs cuz they are cost effective(obviously not for native 4K gaming)

winjer

Gold Member
Im not even surprised.
Didnt the channel recently take down a 4060 review because his community basically called the review an ad.

200w.gif

Recent Nvidia reviews from Digital Foundry near literally all of them are negative:

Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Review: How Fast Is It... And Is It Worth The Money?​

Alex also doesnt do hardware reviews, Rich does and if he shills for anyone its the consumer.....hes the only reviewer ive seen recommend the Arc GPUs cuz they are cost effective(obviously not for native 4K gaming)

And you ignore all the times they got NVidia GPUs before any other outlet for preview. This is probably the first time in several years, they didn't get an early card.
Or the amount of sponsored articles they made for NVidia.

Smiggs

Im not even surprised.
If I remember, he was out with emergency surgery, and his team made/posted the video without him signing off on it, and he took it down later because of how flawed the methodology was in their testing/presentation.

Not saying he isn't a shill at times, but he's been mightily critical of Nvidia over the years, especially with the 40 series pricing. He was also very upfront on his 4060 "preview" that he was hamstrung by Nvidia on what and how he could test and show with the 4060 at this time. I believe he wasn't even allowed to show 1440p performance.

Black_Stride

And you ignore all the times they got NVidia GPUs before any other outlet for preview. This is probably the first time in several years, they didn't get an early card.

Sponsored content tagged with sponsored content, generally showing off unique features of Nvidia hardware.
Did you really think they would show off DLSS3 with 6800?
Or highlevel RT with GPUs that suck at RT?

As for them breaking embargo or being early, youll have to point me to a video/article cuz GamersNexus is usually first with Nvidia hardware.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’ve never considered JayzTwoCents a shill. Dude puts out decent videos and if anything comes off more pro consumer to me.

FireFly

It's reasonable to criticise their previews and promotional content, but I haven't seen any points raised against their reviews.

winjer

Gold Member
Sponsored content tagged with sponsored content, generally showing off unique features of Nvidia hardware.
Did you really think they would show off DLSS3 with 6800?
Or highlevel RT with GPUs that suck at RT?

As for them breaking embargo or being early, youll have to point me to a video/article cuz GamersNexus is usually first with Nvidia hardware.

No other outlet get's as much sponsored content as DF, and the reason is their bias towards Nvidia.

I don't remember one time that gamers Nexus got early hardware like DF got several times from NVidia.

Black_Stride

No other outlet get's as much sponsored content as DF, and the reason is their bias towards Nvidia.

I don't remember one time that gamers Nexus got early hardware like DF got several times from NVidia.
GN literally always gets hardware early.
They even talk about how they have said hardware but cant break embargo yet in their GN News segments and even in some reviews.

GN also isnt known to do tech reviews of features such as RT, FSR or DLSS while DF do, so obviously Nvidia will go to that outlet.

But when it comes to hardware GN are bar none which is why they get hardware early.

P.S
Are we really gonna act like Nvidia 30 series was so baller at launch every outlet was gushing over them?
I think only NXgamer and Techspot use AMD as "test cards".....but even NXgamer uses a 2070 as his midranger.

Are all other outlets biased too?

Beyond sponsored content (which doesnt imply bias especially if point it out) how are DF super biased when their RDNA, RDNA2 and 3 reviews have been positive (7600 notwithstanding)

winjer

Gold Member
GN literally always gets hardware early.
They even talk about how they have said hardware but cant break embargo yet in their GN News segments and even in some reviews.

GN also isnt known to do tech reviews of features such as RT, FSR or DLSS while DF do, so obviously Nvidia will go to that outlet.

But when it comes to hardware GN are bar none which is why they get hardware early.

P.S
Are we really gonna act like Nvidia 30 series was so baller at launch every outlet was gushing over them?
I think only NXgamer and Techspot use AMD as "test cards".....but even NXgamer uses a 2070 as his midranger.

Are all other outlets biased too?

Beyond sponsored content (which doesnt imply bias especially if point it out) how are DF super biased when their RDNA, RDNA2 and 3 reviews have been positive (7600 notwithstanding)

The hardware that GN gets early is stuff he imports from China or ES samples he buys. Not hardware given to him, by tech companies.

Im not even surprised.

200w.gif

The point is Alex is massively biased to Nvidia, don't necessarily think DF are all on the same page, but only 1 of those reviews is critical as it should be. The other 3 are way too leniant.

JayTwoCents is a ridiculous channel, has been since the beginning.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

The hardware that GN gets early is stuff he imports from China or ES samples he buys. Not hardware given to him, by tech companies.

What.
Mate it sounds like you dont actually watch DF or GN.
Steve explicitly states when hes got new hardware from Nvidia, AMD and/or Intel but he cant break embargo.

The imports/self purchases are usually for western unreleased products or mid products like i believe the last one was the 12700K Intel only sent him 12600K and 12900K.

But pretty much every Nvidia GPU sans RTX3050 hes gotten prerelease.(i think the reason is obvious).

But thats neither here nor there, what biased content has DF released?
And please dont say praising DLSS or showing RT performance with Nvidia cards.....they were just better lastgen.

And saying because Alex uses a 2060S in his optimized settings videos is also silly cuz that midranger has a r5 3600, Richs mid/low machine uses a 13400 and an Arc GPU.

GreatnessRD

I’ve never considered JayzTwoCents a shill. Dude puts out decent videos and if anything comes off more pro consumer to me.
I used to think this until I actually dug through the layers of what he's been saying. With that said, I still do enjoy a lot of his content for what it is.

But his "Buy a GPU now or miss out on the deals" video is still the most insane thing I've seen on his channel, lol. And he also had one build guide where I think he had like a 3060 as the GPU and you could've got a way better build for the money he spent. Even with using just Amazon and not like Microcenter links. It was really, really wild.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Has he ever done a hardware review? I've only ever seen Richard doing the hardware reviews, and the other guy (will?) does cpu reviews sometimes.

Yes, it looks like Alex gets left out of hardware reviews. Perhaps because they know the result would be to turn DigitalFoundry's hardware reviews into userbenchmark levels of usefulness.

I do like Richard Leadbetter's takes on hardware. I find him to be really balanced even when I don't fully agree with him.

winjer

Gold Member
What.
Mate it sounds like you dont actually watch DF or GN.
Steve explicitly states when hes got new hardware from Nvidia, AMD and/or Intel but he cant break embargo.

The imports/self purchases are usually for western unreleased products or mid products like i believe the last one was the 12700K Intel only sent him 12600K and 12900K.

But pretty much every Nvidia GPU sans RTX3050 hes gotten prerelease.(i think the reason is obvious).

But thats neither here nor there, what biased content has DF released?
And please dont say praising DLSS or showing RT performance with Nvidia cards.....they were just better lastgen.

And saying because Alex uses a 2060S in his optimized settings videos is also silly cuz that midranger has a r5 3600, Richs mid/low machine uses a 13400 and an Arc GPU.

What non-sense. The only time GN, can break embargos is when he can source hardware from any other source than the maker.
For example, they managed to break the embargo on Arch, because he bought a A380 from China.

Alex is openly fanboy for NVidia. He has admitted he only ever used NVidia GPUs on his PCs.
And he is constantly pushing for NVidia tech, even when it's crap. The DLSS 1 case was one of the most obvious.

noonjam

I have a 3070 paired with a 5700x and 32gb ram. I'd like to game more on 4k, is the 4070 TI the best option? My mobo doesn't support PCIe4

Tests a 4060 ti on a pcie gen 3 system and compares it with a 3060 ti.

gen 3 neutered it so much they are more or less tied. Not sure if anyone has tested a 4070 ti on gen 3.

Black_Stride

What non-sense. The only time GN, can break embargos is when he can source hardware from any other source than the maker.
For example, they managed to break the embargo on Arch, because he bought a A380 from China.

Alex is openly fanboy for NVidia. He has admitted he only ever used NVidia GPUs on his PCs.
And he is constantly pushing for NVidia tech, even when it's crap. The DLSS 1 case was one of the most obvious.

You arent reading my posts.
I said steve states he has the hardware but CANT break embargo, which proves he got the hardware early.

DF is more than Alex, he doesnt even do GPU reviews.
You gonna say the whole organization is biased because Alex only uses Nvidia GPUs when last few generation Nvidia GPUs have been the best?
What GPUs would you rather he use?

• 7900XTX gets recked by 4090
  • 6900XT gets recked by 3090
  • 5700xt gets recked by 2080Ti
  • Radeon VII gets recked by 1080Ti
  • RX590......should i keep going?

You gonna call GN biased too cuz their machines have Intel CPUs due to Intel QuickSync?

When a tech is better and you are a tech channel you use the best no??

winjer

Gold Member
You arent reading my posts.
I said steve states he has the hardware but CANT break embargo, which proves he got the hardware early.

The issue is not getting the hardware early, is getting to publish articles about it before the embargo. This is the issue.
Steve only breaks embargos, when he sources the hardware from other places.

DF is more than Alex, he doesnt even do GPU reviews.
You gonna say the whole organization is biased because Alex only uses Nvidia GPUs when last few generation Nvidia GPUs have been the best?
What GPUs would you rather he use?

• 7900XTX gets recked by 4090
  • 6900XT gets recked by 3090
  • 5700xt gets recked by 2080Ti
  • Radeon VII gets recked by 1080Ti
  • RX590......should i keep going?

You gonna call GN biased too cuz their machines have Intel CPUs due to Intel QuickSync?

When a tech is better and you are a tech channel you use the best no??

Like I said in this thread, Richard is more level headed than Alex. And fortunately, it's him doing the hardware reviews. If it was Alex, it would be a shit show.
Still, DF has received a lot of sponsored content and the ability to publish articles for several generations of NVidia GPUs, before anyone else.
This is an very obvious conflict of interest for a professional journalist outlet.
And Alex has been playing on PCs for 20 years. There have been several times when AMD/ATI had the better products. And he still only ever used NVidia.
And those comparisons you are making are non-sense, as most are not even price competitive.

Black_Stride

The issue is not getting the hardware early, is getting to publish articles about it before the embargo. This is the issue.
Steve only breaks embargos, when he sources the hardware from other places.

Like I said in this thread, Richard is more level headed than Alex. And fortunately, it's him doing the hardware reviews. If it was Alex, it would be a shit show.
Still, DF has received a lot of sponsored content and the ability to publish articles for several generations of NVidia GPUs, before anyone else.
This is an very obvious conflict of interest for a professional journalist outlet.
And Alex has been playing on PCs for 20 years. There have been several times when AMD/ATI had the better products. And he still only ever used NVidia.
And those comparisons you are making are non-sense, as most are not even price competitive.

When has DF broken embargo and/or been able to release content before other tech channels.

My point on the comparison is that as a tech channel rigs will always have the best hardware regardless of price.
The entire team uses 4090s or 4080s I dont know any channel other than NXG who use an AMD card as their highend bench......are they all shills?
If you gonna go back to when ATI/AMD drivers were kinda a mess to prove DF are shills......I got nothing for you.
Cuz Nvidia has been the market leader for eons, most people in the know with disposable income have been buying Nvidia since before ATI was absorbed.
Literally only my first PC had ATI.
Everything since:
6800GS
8800GTS
GTX260c216
GTX570
GTX770
GTX1070
RTX3070/RTX3080

P.S I very much doubt he has been buying his own hardware for 20 years and still doesnt prove the entire organization biased.
It doesnt even matter if he is a fanboy cuz he doesnt do GPU reviews.....so why would DF be on that shitlist?

winjer

Gold Member
When has DF broken embargo and/or been able to release content before other tech channels.

FFS, what part don't you understand?
There have been several times before when DF was authorized by NVidia to release a preview before anyone else. So it's strange they didn't get to do ti again now.

My point on the comparison is that as a tech channel rigs will always have the best hardware regardless of price.
The entire team uses 4090s or 4080s I dont know any channel other than NXG who use an AMD card as their highend bench......are they all shills?
If you gonna go back to when ATI/AMD drivers were kinda a mess to prove DF are shills......I got nothing for you.
Cuz Nvidia has been the market leader for eons, most people in the know with disposable income have been buying Nvidia since before ATI was absorbed.
Literally only my first PC had ATI.
Everything since:
6800GS
8800GTS
GTX260c216
GTX570
GTX770
GTX1070
RTX3070/RTX3080

P.S I very much doubt he has been buying his own hardware for 20 years and still doesnt prove the entire organization biased.
It doesnt even matter if he is a fanboy cuz he doesnt do GPU reviews.....so why would DF be on that shitlist?

Alex only has been working for DF and receiving "free" hardware for a few years.
He has bought most of his gaming PCs and always choose NVidia. Even when AMD was the better option.
He admitted it himself on a few podcasts.

Black_Stride

FFS, what part don't you understand?
There have been several times before when DF was authorized by NVidia to release a preview before anyone else. So it's strange they didn't get to do ti again now.
Name one time.

Top Bottom