• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After one year of Xbox Series X and PS5, here is a summary of the results of all Digital Foundry comparison videos of new-gen games

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
FEKoE8gWUAQEZVl

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Tales of Arise is only a light green shaded "slightly better"?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Like I said on reddit over this very tweet.

"Afaik DMC V trades places between ps5 and SX depending on the rendering mode, so not sure why it's just labled as a minor advantage on SX."
Who knows what this guy's definition of same, slightly better or solid colour better even mean and what spec thresholds fit the narrative.

For example, lets same Game X consistently has a slightly better resolution all game on Console A.

Another game (Game Y) runs at the same resolution on Console A and B, but only during some tiny sections of the game is where Console B's res cuts in half.

Console A is better in both cases. But which situation is "slightly" or outright "better"? Or are both slightly or solid colour better?

Last edited:
Avengers should be in the Xbox column and Control should be in the neutral column. Also not sure about Dirt 5. Everything else seems fine.

I just remembered that Little Nightmares was patched, so it should be neutral. Also didn't Tony Hawk perform better on Xbox? Another neutral.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
This shit is poison and people are gonna drink it up. Both consoles are great. Honestly, neither is better, they offer most of the same features at very similar levels of performance. It's a matter of preference and there is nothing wrong going with either of them. Anyone who disagrees with this statement needs to face reality.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Yesh current gen only games can target new gpu architectures, direct storage, modern cpus, velocity architecture the seriesS has

ReBurn

Gold Member
Weren't dirt 5, Valhalla, and control evened out post launch? What's the point in compiling a list using outdated info
It's not about how video games actually perform. It's about how Digital Foundry rated their performance at launch. That's why it's pretty much useless.

kingfey

Banned
It's not about how video games actually perform. It's about how Digital Foundry rated their performance at launch. That's why it's pretty much useless.
If that is the case, then these tests are pretty much worthless. Wasted my time looking at it.

testing Launch games is useless. Because its buggy, and most of stuff of patches takes time.

AnotherOne

The threads are just for fun, best thing is own both consoles and play best of both worlds in terms of exclusive games..
Third party wise get the one that's the least dog water.

mmSUOJT.gif

Last edited:

Elios83

Differences have been irrelevant.
If you don't read about them you won't be able to tell by yourself in almost all cases.
The latest round of games (Vanguard, Battlefield 2042, Elden Ring Beta, Skyrim Definitive Edition) have all been slightly better on PS5.
A year has passed, these systems are as close as you can get.
I expect developers to make significant progresses on both PS5 and XSX once the cross gen phase is over and UE5 and other next gen engines are going to be widely adopted.
Series S will basically be the new Xbox One S, a cheap but already outdated option with seriously gimped versions.

Last edited:

cragarmi

Avengers should be in the Xbox column and Control should be in the neutral column. Also not sure about Dirt 5. Everything else seems fine.

I just remembered that Little Nightmares was patched, so it should be neutral. Also didn't Tony Hawk perform better on Xbox? Another neutral.
Little Nightmares still missing RT effects on Xbox. The Developers have said this is how it was intended, so don't expect further patches. As for the rest of the list, it's pretty much a wash, some games perform better on Xbox, some on PS, it's becoming increasingly down to personal preference as to which is better. Does it matter?

Last edited:
Nifty chart ya got there. 2 Dark Green, 3 Dark Blue, All Black. The console I can't find wins this.
Will have to wait for comparisons that don't have old Gen versions. Nov 2024?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
The differences were always going to be somewhat negligible on cross platform titles. Bring on the first party exclusives so people can argue about apples and oranges to make themselves feel better about their respective purchases!

Top Bottom