• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After one year of Xbox Series X and PS5, here is a summary of the results of all Digital Foundry comparison videos of new-gen games

onQ123

Wait a second. Are you telling me that if the Xbox had launched with just the XSX version, it wouldnt even sell 20 million units?

And >I< have a warped sense of reality?
Yes I'm telling you that if the $499 Xbox Series X was the only version they would not sell 30 million because PS5 would jump so far ahead of them that it would be getting even more exclusives

Shifty1897

Tales of Arise is only a light green shaded "slightly better"?

That was the one that made me question the whole list. Doesn't Arise run like 5-15fps higher on Series X? That ain't slightly better.

FEKoE8gWUAQEZVl

So in aggregate, PS5 is outperforming the XSX.

It's not by much, but it's still pretty clear.

Surprising really, given all the noise certain folks made about TFLOPs and fixed versus variable GPU clocks.

I guess TFLOPs really aren't everything, huh?

kingfey

Banned
This is why analysis and reviews should be made on release day or within days if you don't have review codes. Giving in on waiting for post release patches until "the game" works (like Cyberpunk 2077), or they make it fun (like Sea of Thieves).

They can do "updated reviews/analysis" later if they want to, same for content updates, etc. but many games never really get fixed at all too (Fallout 1976... well any Fallout game), should they just be ignored until some fans fix the PC version?

But I am not for giving sloppy studios and developers a pass on day one just because sometimes they release patches. People can buy the game day one, this is when it should be evaluated, no BS.
The problem with DF, is they are analyst. They dont do reviews of the game. This gives ammos to console warriors.

JackMcGunns

PS5 slight edge.
Got me out here counting blue and green rectangles.

DF did say Series X got a silent performance boost with one of it's updates apparently. Some of the issues that were a negative for Series X have been fixed, probably not enough for DF to revisit those comparisons, but when it comes to minor wins, I think it might be irrelevant at this point.

Lysandros

That's basically comes down to the same: better looking foliage and a better draw distance. The reflections are also better. To be honest I prefer those over a minor resolution difference I won't be able to see anyway. I'm currently playing Guardians of the Galaxy and no matter how hard I try, I can hardly spot the IQ difference during gameplay when switching between performance and quality. The framerate however..

Apart from that, PS5 seems to have the edge and I think we can count each draw also as a win for PS5, since in those cases it's achieving the same with less power, I've been told.

El Analista has a BF video. PS5 has better temporal reconstruction, resulting in a sharper image. And better textures closer to the PC version. Framerate is mostly the same.
Regardless of the source used, higher quality reconstruction on PS5 would be the expected result if PS4 PRO's specialized hardware support for ID buffer and Gradiant adjust are still present on it. I see this probality as high. Developers would have to spent some time and effort the use the custom hardware though.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The SeriesS is a strategic decision to increase installbase. Xbox do not just want to go toe to toe with PS5 but they want an option for PS5 customers, PS5 customers like great games and when you can buy a seriesS for $299/£249 and play all there 23 studios games for $10/month its an enticing offer.

Its how I think Xbox will match or exceed the PS5s installbase, they will have an option with such good value and such great content that even kretos kretos would bite his lip and buy one.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yes I'm telling you that if the $499 Xbox Series X was the only version they would not sell 30 million because PS5 would jump so far ahead of them that it would be getting even more exclusives
That's delusional. The Xbox One was more expensive, had a disastrous reveal and still managed to sell 55 million units. In the U.S, it outsold the PS4 several times in the November/December months. They are selling every single Xbox Series X console they make. They wouldve easily sold them all if there was no xss.

You bring up exclusives as this big factor that would help the PS5 sell more units and bury the Xbox before it even hits 20-30 million units, and yet ignore the fact that MS has gone out and acquired over a dozen studios since last gen. So by your own logic, those exclusives would help MS sell more units than they did in the Xbox One era. Which means at the minimum 55 million + whatever you want to add for having twice as many studios producing exclusives for them.

Sosokrates

That's delusional. The Xbox One was more expensive, had a disastrous reveal and still managed to sell 55 million units. In the U.S, it outsold the PS4 several times in the November/December months. They are selling every single Xbox Series X console they make. They wouldve easily sold them all if there was no xss.

You bring up exclusives as this big factor that would help the PS5 sell more units and bury the Xbox before it even hits 20-30 million units, and yet ignore the fact that MS has gone out and acquired over a dozen studios since last gen. So by your own logic, those exclusives would help MS sell more units than they did in the Xbox One era. Which means at the minimum 55 million + whatever you want to add for having twice as many studios producing exclusives for them.
I agree with you here.

This is best case scenario. Games mostly equal, difference minor, no real true power benefit for the end user in most cases. Makes choosing a system more about games than performance.

Sosokrates

The entire industry is. Don’t confuse strategy and circumstance. Look at the secondary market to understand where the demand is
So whats the issue? If the entire industry is doing great?

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
The threads are just for fun, best thing is own both consoles and play best of both worlds in terms of exclusive games..
Third party wise get the one that's the least dog water.

mmSUOJT.gif
Same, ive been a playstation and xbox gamer since the ps3 and 360. Ive always owned both by the end of the generation. Last year i upgraded my one x and ps4 pro to a series x and ps5 on day one. As long as i can financially swing it, i will always go for both.

The problem with DF, is they are analyst. They dont do reviews of the game. This gives ammos to console warriors.
Shhhh don't talk performance because it makes people fight?

What about when one of the versions is broken for any reason? should it be avoided too?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Surprising really, given all the noise certain folks made about TFLOPs and fixed versus variable GPU clocks.

But tflops are everything when it comes to comparing two classes of GPUs under the same family. A 2070 should never beat 2080, and a 5700 ahould never beat a 5700xt. So the fact that they are equal in some instances makes little sense. XSX performing worse in some games makes no sense.

The Zen 2 CPUs in the two consoles have the same architecture. The RDNA 2.0 GPUs have the same arch. The only difference is the PS5 I/O and the XSX's weird split memory architecture. I'd like someone to look into this and maybe ask devs why we are not seeing the performance advantage materialize every time. If only for academic purposes. If the higher PS5 clocks and I/O are making that much of a difference then I hope MS targets higher clocks and invests in a better I/O for their mid gen upgrade.

I'd also like to know why Doom and Metro run so much better and offer a 30% performance advantage despite just an 18% difference in tflops. What are they doing different than most other devs?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

I see a Riky Riky still getting sleepless nights about the launch games. Back then they didn’t matter because of “launch titles”. But now they do matter because they’ve been patched? Dirt is still running overal better on PS5 and the texture quality is also better on PS5. Nothing much has changed. The only thing that has changed is the XSX version is now more inline with the PS5 version.

All the noises you guys made about “FULL RDNA2, “12TF of power”, “XSX will always have the best multiplatform games” and we can go on. It’s funny as hell to see you guys right now.

Last edited:

yurinka

Basically they offer pretty similar results, sometimes slightly better in one side. In most cases, differences that can only be spotted if you're comparing side by side DF-like videos, stuff you wouldn't notice by yourself playing the game or that in case of playing the 'worse' version you wouldn't miss from the other version specially if you didn't play it before.

I think it's good to have pretty much tied results.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
But tflops are everything when it comes to comparing two classes of GPUs under the same family. A 2070 should never beat 2080, and a 5700 ahould never beat a 5700xt. So the fact that they are equal in some instances makes little sense. XSX performing worse in some games makes no sense.

The Zen 2 CPUs in the two consoles have the same architecture. The RDNA 2.0 GPUs have the same arch. The only difference is the PS5 I/O and the XSX's weird split memory architecture. I'd like someone to look into this and maybe ask devs why we are not seeing the performance advantage materialize every time. If only for academic purposes. If the higher PS5 clocks and I/O are making that much of a difference then I hope MS targets higher clocks and invests in a better I/O for their mid gen upgrade.

I'd also like to know why Doom and Metro run so much better and offer a 30% performance advantage despite just an 18% difference in tflops. What are they doing different than most other devs?

API utilization is huge.

BbMajor7th

I mean, he is right on the TeraFLOPS thing. I remember the hundreds of forum pages binned on wars over whether or not that crucial number would make a substantive difference in the games and, well, these figures kind of speak for themselves. It could be, after everything, that armchair developers on the internet really did know less than the actual developers out there making games.

sircaw

Banned
I mean, he is right on the TeraFLOPS thing. I remember the hundreds of forum pages binned on wars over whether or not that crucial number would make a substantive difference in the games and, well, these figures kind of speak for themselves. It could be, after everything, that armchair developers on the internet really did know less than the actual developers out there making games.
The thing is people still will never learn, even after this generation ends and the next one starts, people are still going to be wowing about teraflops.

It goes on and on and on, sigh.

Lysandros

DF playing both sides and playing it safe this year. They just want to do technical exploration, they don't want to be sued or start flame wars.

I have had ps5 and series x since day one and DF have been hesitant to point to an overall winner. Every time they point out a benefit or weakness of one system, they counter it with an opposing observation in the same breath.

Series X is more powerful.
I think you are being very unfair to Tom, he is repeating your final statement in nearly every single one of his videos.

Lognor

Banned

No, it's actually the opposite. And the funny thing is the person who made the graphic even put a note saying they are biased. Look at the actual games and the actual results. Not this misinformed summary.

BbMajor7th

The thing is people still will never learn, even after this generation ends and the next one starts, people are still going to be wowing about teraflops.

It goes on and on and on, sigh.

You're right - people like to argue, so they'll argue about anything :D It's funny though, thinking back on the spec reveals and all the big talk about PS5's 'overclocked' architecture and the power distribution stuff. The hot takes were absolutely sizzling at the time - never comes up anymore that.

Md Ray

Md Ray Md Ray

More information would of been nice from shinin.
Shinin said the high frequency, memory setup and rewitting the engine for the PS5's low level APi's make 8k possible.
But he never said 8k was not possible on the XSX.
More clarification is needed. Its not great that John and Richard were so keen to go along with this conclusion without more information they should of asked shinin more questions.
8K should be possible, but I get the impression that Shin'en likes to go for a rock-solid frame rate on all of their console versions like Playground Games does for their games, so they probably went with the resolution that gave them that consistent target frame rate (60fps) on XSX. 8K likely has dips under 60, not seen on PS5.

I don't get this, why is it so hard for some of you to accept the fact that PS5 GPU is just faster at some things than XSX GPU even after hearing it from someone who has worked and shipped a game on both consoles? You're probably one of those people who expected to see 1440p on PS5 vs 4K on XSX before launch because you saw a 2 TF difference between them just like the Pro vs One X's 2 TF gap.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

I see a Riky Riky still getting sleepless nights about the launch games. Back then they didn’t matter because of “launch titles”. But now they do matter because they’ve been patched? Dirt is still running overal better on PS5 and the texture quality is also better on PS5. Nothing much has changed. The only thing that has changed is the XSX version is now more inline with the PS5 version.

All the noises you guys made about “FULL RDNA2, “12TF of power”, “XSX will always have the best multiplatform games” and we can go in. It’s funny as hell to see you guys right now.

Framerate is much better on Series X, I think the PS5 version actually got worse with the patches with the stuttering.

FmBsSe7.jpg

sircaw

Banned
You're right - people like to argue, so they'll argue about anything :D It's funny though, thinking back on the spec reveals and all the big talk about PS5's 'overclocked' architecture and the power distribution stuff. The hot takes were absolutely sizzling at the time - never comes up anymore that.
Same with the full Rdna2 spiel.

fun times haha

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Framerate is much better on Series X, I think the PS5 version actually got worse with the patches with the stuttering.

FmBsSe7.jpg
Average frame rate says there's just over a frame in it... at 120 FPS. 'Much better' might be a slight overstatement. 'Within margin of error' or 'negligible' might be more on the money.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

8K should be possible, but I get the impression that Shin'en likes to go for a rock-solid frame rate on all of their console versions like Playground Games does for their games, so they probably went with the resolution that gave them that consistent target frame rate (60fps) on XSX. 8K likely has dips under 60, not seen on PS5.

I don't get this, why is it so hard for some of you to accept the fact that PS5 GPU is just faster at some things than XSX GPU even after hearing it from someone who has worked and shipped a game on both consoles?

Its hard to accept because its not the case on other examples, xss to xsx, ps4 to ps4 pro, pc gpus.
I mean those are legit reasons to cast doubt, why are folks like yourself so willing to accept higher clocks to cause higher performance when there are examples of this not being the case?

Also, even it were true I dont think it would cause such a huge 70% increase in resolution. If the PS5 had such a vast advantage why aren't we seeing it in other games.

What I think is happening is that the PS5's architecture works better with shinins engine. This does not mean the PS5s hardware is more powerful it just means this engine is wrote in such a way which favours the PS5, However the engine could be altered to favour the XSX and achieve 8k, but that would of required more work the dev was not willing to do.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Basically the average difference is completely negligible.

Some people were expecting the XSX to be significantly ahead in almost every game, like PS4 was vs XBO, but firstly the absolute difference is way smaller this time (about 17% vs over 40% last gen if we're talking TF), and secondly TF isn't everything. Some games/engines seem to prefer a faster GPU over a wider one, otherwise the XSX should in theory be winning every single comparison. In practice they achieve very comparable results.

Last edited:

Lysandros

I don't get this, why is it so hard for some of you to accept the fact that PS5 GPU is just faster at some things than XSX GPU even after hearing it from someone who has worked and shipped a game on both consoles?
I am genuinely beginning to think that's some deep rooted belief in the superiority of the western engineering at this point. This is hurting eurocentric sensibilities i guess. Or that's simply some kind of voluntary blindness. Quite baffling actually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom