• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After one year of Xbox Series X and PS5, here is a summary of the results of all Digital Foundry comparison videos of new-gen games

Framerate is much better on Series X, I think the PS5 version actually got worse with the patches with the stuttering.

FmBsSe7.jpg

If that's the 2.0 patch that NXGAMER did, there is actually a lot of discussion/details that are being left out of the 1FPS AVG difference as indicated by the bottom screenshot, like a lot more. Such as:

fKaDzIR.jpg

Or:

5vRDdB7.jpg

Dirt5 is a game that for sure favors the PS5 based on all the data that is available via DF and NX.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My town hasn't had any of the 3 for at least 6 months. Where all these Xbox sitting unsold? Some random EU country?

Seems like it yes. The Series S is freely available at pretty much every retailer here in Sweden, and the X can also be ordered from a few retailers (it's more rare though). PS5 is basically nowhere to be found.

Anecdotal, yes, but Sweden has not historically been quite as heavily in favor of PlayStation vs Xbox as much of Europe (although the PS4 was definitely more popular than the XBO).

Last edited:

skit_data

I never thought the difference to be big enough for 90% of potential buyers choosing between the consoles, but now it seems to be so small that nobody in their right mind can ever refer to any kind of power difference as the reason for buying one over the other. They are practically the same.

Riky

$MSFT
If that's the 2.0 patch that NXGAMER did, there is actually a lot of discussion/details that are being left out of the 1FPS AVG difference as indicated by the bottom screenshot, like a lot more. Such as:

fKaDzIR.jpg

Or:

5vRDdB7.jpg

Dirt5 is a game that for sure favors the PS5 based on all the data that is available via DF and NX.

I didn't dispute the resolution, I showed you a screenshot of a framerate counter where the difference is pretty large.
Check the original chart and you will see this isn't reflected in it at all.
The chart is useless and outdated.

I didn't dispute the resolution, I showed you a screenshot of a framerate counter where the difference is pretty large.

Right, but what does the overall average stay at? Each machine is going to have its ups and downs on the frame rate counter during the same and different situations, but I guess the only thing that matters is what is the average FPS overall? So maybe that's why the performance is marked black as in no significant difference? Not saying the chart is right, or wrong.

Let's say for example that you really like xbox and you bought in the MS PR and Digital Foundry speculations before the launch. You were expecting the xbox to DESTROY the competition in every way that matters, this kind of data will make you feel sad or even upset.

Even if you want to argue how a couple of games should be in a different column, the general idea is the game, you don't pick a console for specs if you hesitate between the PS5 and Series X (Switch and Series S is a different story).

I fell for all the negativity before so I was very surprised that the PS5 is performing as well as it is. However I never was praying for either system to be vastly underpowered compared to the other. It's an issue for devs if there's a huge gap between the two. Being close is actually a very positive thing. Also it's good for consumers because neither are getting screwed with their purchase.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Control
Digital Foundry did say it ran slightly better after the hardware update, but I don't believe they made a comparison video.

Metro Exodus
Should be listed on the Xbox side.

The Touryst
Should be listed on the PS5 side.

Avengers
This is a weird one. VG Tech says the lowest resolution found on XSX is 3413x1920 while the PS5 is 3200x1800, but those counts are rare. PS5 uses checkerboard rendering in performance mode, but DF mentioned during one of their videos that it was carried over from the PS4 Pro version due to the way the PS5 was set up.

Crash Bandicoot 4
I believe this game runs and looks slightly better on the PS5. This should be added on the PS5 side.

MLB The Show 21
I think this game is missing from the PS5 side.

Destiny 2
The performance and resolution are nearly the same, but the Xbox version just failed to drop the resolution lower during specific scenes during 60fps mode. Both games run at 1440p during 120fps mode, but PS5 has better performance. This game runs slightly better on the PS5.

Far Cry 6
I would put this on the Xbox Side.

Assassins Creed Valhalla
The PS5 version ran better when the game was first released and then ran a bit worse after the patch. The performance may still be better on the PS5 despite taking a small performance dip.

I didn't go over every game, but this is my current take on the list.

Md Ray

Its hard to accept because its not the case on other examples, xss to xsx, ps4 to ps4 pro, pc gpus.
I mean those are legit reasons to cast doubt, why are folks like yourself so willing to accept higher clocks to cause higher performance when there are examples of this not being the case?
That's because there's nothing like the spec differential you see between PS5-XSX in XSS-XSX, PS4-PS4 Pro, or in PC GPU space. What we have ended up getting with XSX and PS5 in terms of their GPU and their memory setup is unique to these two machines.

You need to dig far deeper than just CU, teraflops, and bandwidth count alone.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
That's because there's nothing like the spec differential you see between PS5-XSX in XSS-XSX, PS4-PS4 Pro, or in PC GPU space. What we have ended up getting with XSX and PS5 in terms of their GPU and their memory setup is unique to these two machines.

Its pretty pointless on here because peoples bias is going to taint there speculation.
The sad thing is no one on here knows really what they are talking about. We are just gamers with a surface level understanding.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Microsoft has the data and know that Xbox One X wasn't selling very well compared to Xbox One S , Xbox Series S is the console that they can sell the most of through the Holidays & they both play the same games so it will pad the user base & keep publishers from jumping ship as PS5 gain a large lead.

Is that really a comparable situation though? The One X wasn't even an option until halfway through the generation, and the people who buy a console toward the end of its life aren't generally the hardcore. Some of the early adopters upgraded of course, but not as many as would have bought the One X had it been available right from the start.

Last edited:

onQ123

Its hard to accept because its not the case on other examples, xss to xsx, ps4 to ps4 pro, pc gpus.
I mean those are legit reasons to cast doubt, why are folks like yourself so willing to accept higher clocks to cause higher performance when there are examples of this not being the case?

Also, even it were true I dont think it would cause such a huge 70% increase in resolution. If the PS5 had such a vast advantage why aren't we seeing it in other games.

What I think is happening is that the PS5's architecture works better with shinins engine. This does not mean the PS5s hardware is more powerful it just means this engine is wrote in such a way which favours the PS5, However the engine could be altered to favour the XSX and achieve 8k, but that would of required more work the dev was not willing to do.

Because all games are not the same we know that PS5 has over 2X advantage in depth ROPS so if this game is reaching the limits for Xbox Series X depth ROPS in a game like this & needed to stop at 6K but PS5 had head room to add better shadows & so on at 8K that doesn't mean that every other game should be able to render higher resolutions on PS5.

sainraja

That's some poor revisionist history, lacking common sense. PS1 was certainly more powerful in matter of 3D compared to saturn and remained so until the release of N64 1.5 year later. Again the beasty PS2 remainded the most powerful machine until Xbox (and arguably GC) arrived 18 months later. PS3 was more powerful in total compute and CPU power compared to X360 while being a more complex architecture difficult to program for. PS4 was clearly superior to XboxOne costing 100$ less at launch. PS5 isn't less powerful than XSX overall if one considers all the relevant GPU metrics to game performance, and the results show it. Sony always released powerful, state of art machines featuring innovative custom tech for their time.
I understand all that and still maintain that PS consoles generally haven't been the strongest. I recognized the examples you are giving by saying: "there were brief moments during each console generation" where you can say it was more powerful (e.g. Saturn, Dreamcast) but PS1 < N64 and PS2 was < Xbox. PS3 & X360 I guess was pretty close or the advantages the PS3 had didn't show early enough. Yes, PS4 was stronger. I acknowledged as much.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Control
Digital Foundry did say it ran slightly better after the hardware update, but I don't believe they made a comparison video.

Metro Exodus

The Touryst

Avengers
This is a weird one. VG Tech says the lowest resolution found on XSX is 3413x1920 while the PS5 is 3200x1800, but those counts are rare. PS5 uses checkerboard rendering in performance mode, but DF mentioned during one of their videos that it was carried over from the PS4 Pro version due to the way the PS5 was set up.

Crash Bandicoot 4
I believe this game runs and looks slightly better on the PS5. This should be added on the PS5 side.

MLB The Show 21

Destiny 2
The performance and resolution are nearly the same, but the Xbox version just failed to drop the resolution lower during specific scenes during 60fps mode. Both games run at 1440p during 120fps mode, but PS5 has better performance. This game runs slightly better on the PS5.

Far Cry 6

Assassins Creed Valhalla
The PS5 version ran better when the game was first released and then ran a bit worse after the patch. The performance may still be better on the PS5 despite taking a small performance dip.

Crash ran indeed better on PS5. In Assasin Creed it had a pretty significant advantage in min resolution with DRS over XSX:

"PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2432x1368. PS5 in Performance Mode rarely renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode rarely renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160 and drops in resolution down to 1920x1080 seem to be uncommon."

Riky

$MSFT
Crash ran indeed better on PS5. In Assasin Creed it had a pretty significant advantage in min resolution with DRS over XSX:

"PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2432x1368. PS5 in Performance Mode rarely renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode rarely renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160 and drops in resolution down to 1920x1080 seem to be uncommon."

Now look at the framerates minimums, 51fps on PS5 and 57fps on Series X.

Md Ray

Also, even it were true I dont think it would cause such a huge 70% increase in resolution. If the PS5 had such a vast advantage why aren't we seeing it in other games.

What I think is happening is that the PS5's architecture works better with shinins engine. This does not mean the PS5s hardware is more powerful it just means this engine is wrote in such a way which favours the PS5, However the engine could be altered to favour the XSX and achieve 8k, but that would of required more work the dev was not willing to do.
Like I said earlier... Shin'en seems to prefer a consistent frame rate on all the platforms. If they'd found 8K rendering at inconsistent 60-50fps, the next logical step below that res would be to just render at 6K. I'd also said this in the Touryst thread last month:
I think Shin'en likes to go for 100% lock in terms of framerate stability on all the platforms and they likely found dips under 60fps at 8K on XSX so they went with whatever was the standard 16:9 res below 8K (which happened to be 6K: 5760x3240) to ensure a 100% lock in framerate.

Kinda like how Hitman 3 runs at 44% higher-res on XSX compared to PS5 even though the XSX isn't exactly 44% more powerful, but 1800p just so happens to be one notch below 2160p.
PS5's GPU is indeed more powerful in certain areas than XSX GPU. Look deeper than just CU, teraflops, and bandwidth count alone.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Control

Metro Exodus

The Touryst

Avengers

Crash Bandicoot 4

MLB The Show 21

Destiny 2

Far Cry 6

Assassins Creed Valhalla

Good post. Add Immortals Fenyx Rising to the PS5 column as well. Even after the update that improved Xbox performance, the PS5 doesnt drop resolution as much as XSX.

PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2275x1280.
Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080.

The only resolution found on PS5 in Quality Mode was 3840x2160.
Xbox Series X in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 3328x1872.

From VG Tech. It seems in some scenes the PS5 performs better in Performance while Xbox performed better in other scenes, but the PS5 had a higher lowest resolution in both modes.

BbMajor7th

From what Jason Ronald was saying SFS is expected in first party games next year, I presume when they release next gen on
I mean, you have to at least appreciate that, for many people, it does quite often sound like XBOX's grand moment of success is always just around the next corner.

One second of gameplay is not representative of a whole gameplay experience, nor is one result representative of a whole chart.

Last edited:

Loxus

Good post. Add Immortals Fenyx Rising to the PS5 column as well. Even after the update that improved Xbox performance, the PS5 doesnt drop resolution as much as XSX.

From VG Tech. It seems in some scenes the PS5 performs better in Performance while Xbox performed better in other scenes, but the PS5 had a higher lowest resolution in both modes.
Surprised someone here didn't make a neogaf list yet, similarly to the OP picture.

SlimySnake

Just an FYI, something I just noticed while going through my albums. DF is prone to making mistakes as well.

XjwChcS.jpg

In this scene, the xbox was actually dipping to 46 FPS at its worst point which would give the PS5 a 30% advantage.

PS5's GPU is indeed more powerful in certain areas than XSX GPU. Look deeper than just CU, teraflops, and bandwidth count alone.

Yep, I have posted this table several times.

s0n39Hi.png

The XSX numbers are from Xbox's Hot chips presentation. While the PS5 numbers were extrapolated from the same calculations used by MS to arrive at their numbers.

g7CS3xPkrd4LpjXCiCA3NM-480-80.jpg

The question is why the performance in ray tracing games like Watch Dogs is so similar but so much better in Metro and Doom. In Control, the performance advantage averaged out at 16% which lines up with the 18% advantage mentioned above. And yet we saw FPS counts of 32 vs 33 in the infamous corridor of doom where ray traced reflections are at its most straining. So clearly, the xbox is being held back by something or the PS5's GPU advantages are making it perform better than it should. Otherwise, the advantage would be consistently at 18%.

Mr Moose

Just an FYI, something I just noticed while going through my albums. DF is prone to making mistakes as well.

XjwChcS.jpg

In this scene, the xbox was actually dipping to 46 FPS at its worst point which would give the PS5 a 30% advantage.

s0n39Hi.png

The XSX numbers are from Xbox's Hot chips presentation. While the PS5 numbers were extrapolated from the same calculations used by MS to arrive at their numbers.

The question is why the performance in ray tracing games like Watch Dogs is so similar but so much better in Metro and Doom. In Control, the performance advantage averaged out at 16% which lines up with the 18% advantage mentioned above. And yet we saw FPS counts of 32 vs 33 in the infamous corridor of doom where ray traced reflections are at its most straining. So clearly, the xbox is being held back by something or the PS5's GPU advantages are making it perform better than it should. Otherwise, the advantage would be consistently at 18%.
They updated it:
[UPDATE: The 15 per cent performance advantage mentioned here is averaged across a specific cross-section of play. As the graphs show, 'in the moment' differences can be as high as 25 per cent.]

Riky

$MSFT
I mean, you have to at least appreciate that, for many people, it does quite often sound like XBOX's grand moment of success is always just around the next corner.

One second of gameplay is not representative of a whole gameplay experience, nor is one result representative of a whole chart.
Tier 2 VRS has already arrived.
They updated it:
[UPDATE: The 15 per cent performance advantage mentioned here is averaged across a specific cross-section of play. As the graphs show, 'in the moment' differences can be as high as 25 per cent.]
Game was patched, the framerate is shown after the patch by VGTech and is better on Xbox.

Sosokrates

Because all games are not the same we know that PS5 has over 2X advantage in depth ROPS so if this game is reaching the limits for Xbox Series X depth ROPS in a game like this & needed to stop at 6K but PS5 had head room to add better shadows & so on at 8K that doesn't mean that every other game should be able to render higher resolutions on PS5.

Why keep saying this misinformation about ps5 having more rops.

I debunked it last time we talked about it.

Lysandros

XjwChcS.jpg

s0n39Hi.png

Maybe there is a reason why this percentage is based on the theoretical max throughput, don't you think? The real world game performance differencial can be dictated by a lot of other factors, including the respective efficiency of the machines which is not/can not be exactly the same.

Sosokrates

Like I said earlier... Shin'en seems to prefer a consistent frame rate on all the platforms. If they'd found 8K rendering at inconsistent 60-50fps, the next logical step below that res would be to just render at 6K. I'd also said this in the Touryst thread last month:

In the history of PC gpus using the same architecture, raw compute always gives more performance. You can clock and RX5700 really high and slightly higher tflops and it will perform almost the same as a 5700xt.

Last edited:
I know you're late to the thread, but that list has already been kinda debunked.

No, it's actually the opposite. And the funny thing is the person who made the graphic even put a note saying they are biased. Look at the actual games and the actual results. Not this misinformed summary.

This eye-watering denial of reality is fascinating.

The pathology that leads to these types of posts in a thread like this is truly worthy of psychological study.

onQ123

PS5 has over 2X the depth ROPS of Xbox Series X this is a fact

twilo99

Why bother? Its mostly click bait stuff.

Different devs will focus/optimize more for certain console/specs, which renders all this useless.

I understand all that and still maintain that PS consoles generally haven't been the strongest. I recognized the examples you are giving by saying: "there were brief moments during each console generation" where you can say it was more powerful (e.g. Saturn, Dreamcast) but PS1 < N64 and PS2 was < Xbox. PS3 & X360 I guess was pretty close or the advantages the PS3 had didn't show early enough. Yes, PS4 was stronger. I acknowledged as much.
PS1 release date: Dec 4 1994
N64 release date: Sept 29 1996

Almost two years, this is pretty significant

PS2 release date: March 4th 2000
Xbox release date: November 5th 2001

Same here.

Back then technologies changed very fast a year or two could mean you had a bigger transistor count for memory, processing, etc.

PS3 wasn't more powerful than the 360, in many case it had problems holding up... and it came out late in part because of misguided technological decisions.

PS4 ans xbox one were released weeks a part and the PS4 was clearly the most powerful one.

The one x was announced before the PS4 pro, the the PS4 pro was in the market for about 1 year before the one x.

I would say that in general the PS consoles came to the market as technological leaders in the console market, it's one of the reason they gained a foot in the market, however this is not a law as we were able to see with the PS3... There are other factors.

Md Ray

XjwChcS.jpg

s0n39Hi.png

Games can be bound by L1, L2 throughput too. I found this while profiling DOOM Eternal and Death Stranding (I even posted these screenshots in another thread). As you can see Eternal is predominantly CU/SM bound then memory bandwidth and then L1 and L2, which means the more SM/CU you throw at it the better it will perform, put simply it's compute-bound and explains why XSX is doing so much better in this title. Now look at Death Stranding frame, it's not behaving the same way as DOOM Eternal. It's almost always L1 throughput bound across many frames and less so by the SMs/CUs or other parts of the GPU.

PS5 GPU has higher L1, L2 cache bandwidth/FLOP than XSX GPU. So in scenarios like Death Stranding where it thrashes cache bandwidths, PS5's higher clock speed might allow it to be on par or outperform XSX. Your Control's corridor of doom e.g. is a good one, it might be interesting to look at what part of the GPU is being used the most in that section and what makes it different compared to other sections of the game.

HbTt8y5.png

i8uBQER.png

Last edited:

Boglin

What part is misinformation? The new Xbox RB+ doubled the color ROPs, but not the depth ROPs.

Depth ROPs are for z/stencil operations which were not upgraded for the new Xbox RB+.
Since the PS5 has twice the number of units and they run at higher frequency, it has a ~2.5x advantage in this specific area.

SlimySnake

PS1 release date: Dec 4 1994
N64 release date: Sept 29 1996

Almost two years, this is pretty significant

PS2 release date: March 4th 2000
Xbox release date: November 5th 2001

Same here.

Back then technologies changed very fast a year or two could mean you had a bigger transistor count for memory, processing, etc.

PS3 wasn't more powerful than the 360, in many case it had problems holding up... and it came out late in part because of misguided technological decisions.

PS4 ans xbox one were released weeks a part and the PS4 was clearly the most powerful one.

The one x was announced before the PS4 pro, the the PS4 pro was in the market for about 1 year before the one x.

I would say that in general the PS consoles came to the market as technological leaders in the console market, it's one of the reason they gained a foot in the market, however this is not a law as we were able to see with the PS3... There are other factors.
I never understood why the X1X was so impressive. It came out a year later and was still a $100 more expensive.

Agreed with the rest. Sony has never gone out of their way to release an underpowered console like MS did with the base X1 and the XSS. Their worst console was the PS3 which had a BOM of $850 at launch so its not like they went out of their way to cut costs. If anything they didnt do enough to cut costs and their ambition behind the cell was a huge reason why it was so expensive.

While Im kinda upset that they no longer go all out on tflops, they have managed to be ambitious where they can. First with the 8GB of GDDR5 RAM in a time when even PC GPUs didnt have it. Then again with the 5.5 GBps of SSD which was faster than any SSD when the console was first announced. I remember people here making fun of Cerny for saying that in the wired article. No one thought a console could have 8GB of GDDR5 RAM or a 3.5+ GBps SSD.

And dont forget the PSP and especially the vita. Both so advanced compared to their competition it was a generational difference every time.

Md Ray

In the history of PC gpus using the same architecture, raw compute always gives more performance. You can clock and RX5700 really high and slightly higher tflops and it will perform almost the same as a 5700xt.
Nope, the XSX-PS5 GPU situation isn't exactly comparable to 5700-5700 XT as I said here:

Look beyond teraflops and CU count.

Last edited:
Top Bottom