• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires 4 may hit Xbox, Creative director Adam Isgreen – “We think about you”

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During the conversation with the editors of Multiplayer.it, Adam Isgreen, the creative director of the game, was asked about Age of Empires IV on Xbox. Yesterday the game debut took place, so the developer has not yet been tempted to announce the appropriate version, but his words are significant and allow us to believe that the port is only a matter of time.

“Multiplayer.it: What can we tell console users, Age of Empires IV will be released on Xbox?”
Adam Isgreen: We think about you. As soon as we finish managing the game’s PC release, we’ll start thinking about how to make the game run on consoles. We don’t have any final plans yet, but now we’re really going to start thinking about it. “

couldn’t imagine RTS on a controller but aoe is kinda slow paced i suppose
EI1AgOD.jpg

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
PC version is amazing. Will play Day 1 on Xbox.

R.5f4904bb82a53c2bb39cdd81fca7d2ba
R.a4d87850eff6248a66cbd04f0ae55b80
Gameplay wise those games are super simple BECAUSE they need to be playable with a controller (I'm not saying it's bad, just that it's not super complex). You should have picked AoE II on PS2 but then again, the game was mostly unplayable.

Now maybe Microsoft can crack it and bring the RTS genre on console, but I'm not holding my breath...

STARSBarry

Gold Member
They would have to turn down the AI for skirmish.

Even on intermediate unless you have your early game economy nailed down to perfection the AI will continue to effectively harass, avoid all emplacements and focus on villagers until you are in ruins. the only way to effectively counter is to have walls blocking every possible route in before they can can begin harassment as it will never ever end after the first wave as they will throw every unit they have constantly at your economy.

Human opponents at least right now are easier to deal with online. Playing what is currently there with a controller sounds like a nightmare.

Kilau

Gold Member
Would be an interesting port. I was surprised how hard this game works my GPU while the CPU is single digit usage. Also uses a lot of system memory.

Beechos

Gameplay wise those games are super simple BECAUSE they need to be playable with a controller (I'm not saying it's bad, just that it's not super complex). You should have picked AoE II on PS2 but then again, the game was mostly unplayable.

Now maybe Microsoft can crack it and bring the RTS genre on console, but I'm not holding my breath...
Supreme commander is also on xbox 360. Not sure how it plays though.

Go on hold your breath.

reksveks

Well there IS mouse and keyboard support on Xbox, but for some reason it's beyond them to write in big letters on the game box "This game is only playable with mouse and keyboard"

I have written it previously buts it's currently a part of the certification process that the game has to be playable via the controller. That change in theory could be and should be applicable for all games.

I think the pro's of having the uniformity in the user experience is probably greater than the cons at the moment. I think Worlds edge need to pay Relic for long enough to figure out a controller mode out. I think the best case scenario is if the game supported both m+k and controller. I wish that FM did that but don't think it does sadly.

BlackTron

In my opinion, this is a case where controller makes absolutely no sense for the game but they should try to force it in anyway just to pass the requirement to come out on Xbox.

As long as you can still use mouse/kb, the controller support is just the means to an end.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Just make it keyboard and mouse exclusive, slap a big ass warning in the online store and job done.

Why bother to port it to a controller and butcher the fluidity of gameplay in the process?

Allandor

Well Xbox has mouse and keyboard support. But I already tried rts on a big screen. Doesn't work well because you loose your overview. Moving your head instead of just your eyes does also not make it more comfortable when nearing the screen to better see what's happening.

Halo wars somehow worked because it hadn't as many units or free base building to speak of. It was from the ground up optimized for gamepads and big screens. Such optimization would not work with AOE without changing the gameplay and flow.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I wish they’d port all of their PC games to Xbox and just flag them as KB&M only.

They have a requirement that to be an Xbox game it has to work with a controller, which while limiting I get for brand management/avoid customer confusion.

I mean I don't think a controller makes any sense for an FPS game either but it didn't stop them there.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I mean I don't think a controller makes any sense for an FPS game either but it didn't stop them there.

I don't know how people can aim with dual sticks but there's no denying that you don't need as many buttons for FPS game. Aim, shoot, reload, change weapon, action, crouch, jump, run, throw grenade... Maybe 1-2 more and you're set.

Mapping all possible actions from RTS game to a controller would result in a select wheel for a select wheel for a select wheel. It's madness.

BlackTron

I don't know how people can aim with dual sticks but there's no denying that you don't need as many buttons for FPS game. Aim, shoot, reload, change weapon, action, crouch, jump, run, throw grenade... Maybe 1-2 more and you're set.

Mapping all possible actions from RTS game to a controller would result in a select wheel for a select wheel for a select wheel. It's madness.

Yeah, the problem in both cases isn't really the buttons it's the control sticks. Even in RTS, the only reason you are looking at needing some kind of select wheel is that sticks would be too slow and cumbersome to use the UI as presented on PC.

I think it should keep the same UI and use the stick as a mouse. It would be pretty bad but it's never going to be great anyway. It would make a controller semi useful as a hot swappable controller used as the same time as a mouse/kb. That wouldn't really be possible if the whole interface changes.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yeah, the problem in both cases isn't really the buttons it's the control sticks. Even in RTS, the only reason you are looking at needing some kind of select wheel is that sticks would be too slow and cumbersome to use the UI as presented on PC.

I think it should keep the same UI and use the stick as a mouse. It would be pretty bad but it's never going to be great anyway. It would make a controller semi useful as a hot swappable controller used as the same time as a mouse/kb. That wouldn't really be possible if the whole interface changes.

Yep, I agree:

1. Port the games directly without any changes to UI.
  2. Use the right stick as cursor and left stick to move camera.
  3. Map left bumper as left mouse click, right as right mouse click.
  4. Use remaining buttons for most important actions.
  5. Mark the game as "Plays best with mouse and keyboard" in the store.
  6. Profit.

Chukhopops

Even Halo Wars 2 which was built with controller in mind it was a lot better to play with KB/M. I cannot imagine AoE 4 which has larger armies and is way more micro-heavy.

Just find a cheap laptop as the campaign is awesome and 100% worth it imo.

Riky

$MSFT
I'm sure they will have Mouse and Keyboard support as well as a viable controller option, this also seems to be another advantage of the move to a GDK as the porting of PC titles becomes a lot easier, big plus for Xbox.

CeeJay

This game can run on a pretty low spec pc with on board graphics. A lot of people are going to have a laptop around the house that can run it, no need to bring it to console. For me using a controller for these kind of games makes them really tedious and unwieldy to the point they are no longer fun. It's equivalent to trying to play a sim racer purely on keyboard, its possible but you really wouldn't choose to pay that way.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
It can work if designed to. Obviously it becomes more simplified.

Halo Wars as mentioned above works well.

Also LOTR: The Battle for Middle Earth 2 was amazing.

snGCJxA.jpg

Tams

Gold Member
Halo Wars is a console-based RTS series set in the Halo universe and it plays great.
Nah, it plays okay. You just can't get the same APM using a controller.

And I will forever dislike that game as I think it is what ultimately sunk Ensemble Studios.

Top Bottom