• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires IV - Reviews Are Out

Draugoth

Gold Member
AoE4_613_HERO.jpg

Game Information:

Game Title: Age of Empires IV

Platforms:

• PC (Oct 28, 2021)
Trailers:
Developers: Relic Entertainment, World's Edge

Publisher: Xbox Game Studios

Review Agreggator

OpenCritic - 85 average - 84% recommended - 40 reviews

Metacritic - 84 average - 35 reviews

Critic Reviews

Atomix - Sebastian Quiroz - Spanish - 90 / 100

Age of Empires IV is a rare case of a game that provides a bright future by presenting a known past. By setting aside some of the elements that were introduced with the third installment, Relic has provided an experience that reinforces a solid foundation. The four campaigns, although few, are great kinds of history that are able to effectively tell the events that took place thousands of years ago. Documentary videos that provide additional information about these periods substantially elevate the presentation to a level not found today in other similar experiences.

AusGamers - Kosta Andreadis - 9.5 / 10

For a genre steeped in keyboard shortcuts, understanding tech trees, the importance of a build queue, and multi-tasking so you can turn that gold into gold-plated armour, Age of Empire IV's easy-to-learn interface and systems go the opposite route to what you'd expect when throwing the word ‘streamlined' into the mix.

CGMagazine - Hayes Madsen - 10 / 10

Age of Empires 4 is a bold and ambitious evolution of the series, and quite likely one of the best RTS games ever made.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 84 / 100

Will I be digging deep into Age of Empires IV? Absolutely.

Echo Boomer - David Fialho - Portuguese - Unscored

The acclaimed strategy series comes back with and open window to other eras, the ones with wars and conflicts and a nostalgic one, for a great old-school game with modernized sensibilities.

Explosion Network - Wil James - Unscored

Age of Empires IV turns back the hands of time in more ways than one. Whilst it would have been good for it to turn back enough time that I would be able to deliver a full review at this stage, I have played enough of the game to deliver this review in progress.

Game Informer - Daniel Tack - 8.3 / 10

Age of Empires IV successfully captures some of the magic of earlier titles in the franchise with clean, crisp gameplay and varied playstyles.

GameMAG - Russian - 9 / 10

Age of Empires 4 is an exemplary return of the great series to its roots and an excellent basis for future additions.

GameSpew - Robert Gammon - 8 / 10

There’s a lot to love about Age of Empires IV. It’s clear the developers have listened to the community in creating a game that feels both fresh yet faithful to the franchise. It has tried to combine the best elements of all previous games in the series and, largely, it has succeeded in doing so. Its small pool of factions may be a problem for some, and its camera issues need addressing, but in the grand scheme of things, this is an excellent entry into the RTS space. Is Age of Empires IV the best Age of Empires game to date? For me, it doesn’t quite knock Age of Empires II Definitive Edition off the top spot, but regardless, this modern entry has undoubtedly been well worth the wait.

GameWatcher - Matthew Ralphson - 7.5 / 10

Running a cavalry charge around the enemy defenses to burn their Wonder to the ground while the clock ticked down to defeat. No horses survived, but victory was mine.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Age of Empires IV is clearly a very good strategy game, which should not disappoint fans of the franchise. With its graphical renewal, the focus on History and its very good artistic direction, we have in our hands a good entry of Age of Empires. However, we may regret that the game is a bit too academic and without any real risk. But still, Age of Empires IV is a very good game.

Gamerheadquarters - Jason Stettner - 10 / 10

Age of Empires 4 is the true successor that we’ve been waiting ever so long for. It’s a perfect continuation that builds upon what made this series so special, while also making it accessible for new players.

Gamersky - 阿塔诺 - Chinese - 8.9 / 10

The gameplay of Age of Empires 4 is classic enough, some improvements to the original game also make the feeling more comfortable. Age of Empires 4 returns to the classics of the series may touch many players.

GamesBeat - Dean Takahashi - Unscored

Like I said. It’s been so long since I’ve played an Age of Empires game that I needed the extra tutorial help, the engaging historical videos, and the narration that kept me playing through the single-player campaign. I think this game is accessible and easy to learn, but it’s also got a lot of depth for real-time strategy veterans. I hope it does well because I want to see more RTS games hit the market. But this one could keep fans busy for a long time, as far as I can tell right now.

GamesRadar+ - Rachel Weber - 5 / 5 stars

A triumphant return for the strategy series, and well worth the wait.

GamingTrend - Ron Burke - 95 / 100

Age of Empires helped define an entire genre, and under the steady hand of RTS masters Relic Entertainment, it may once again wear that crown -- Age of Empires IV is that good.

Generación Xbox - Laura Trujillo - Spanish - 9.5 / 10

Age of Empires IV has come at the best time and in the best possible way. A classic but at the same time fresh RTS, tailor-made for the needs of today's gamers. It continues to awaken that aroma of nostalgia but without neglecting the new content and new ways of playing that the most fans of the saga wanted to see.

Hardcore Gamer - Cory Wells - 4 / 5

While there are technical issues, Age of Empires IV truly feels like a successful modern take on a classic favorite.

Hobby Consolas - Alberto Lloret - Spanish - 89 / 100

Age of Empires IV makes a safe bet by appealing to the classic gameplay of the series, with the right novelties, but without risking. If you are a fan "of those of a lifetime", you will enjoy it very much, but if you expected a deeper evolution, here you will not find it.

IGN - Leana Hafer - 8 / 10

Age of Empires 4 is an enjoyable RTS throwback that often plays it too safe, but excels when it doesn't.

IGN Italy - Stefano Castagnola - Italian - 8.6 / 10

Age of Empires IV won't shake the videogame world as much as its famed predecessors once did, but it's still a quality production from Relic Entertainment and a worthy addition to a legendary series of strategy games.

IGN Spain - David Oña - Spanish - 9 / 10

A few months ago, Humankind was presented as a candidate to become the benchmark of turn-based strategy for the next few years. Now, with a similar love for the story, but with a different tone, Age of Empires IV arrives to reposition the franchise in the Olympus of RTS. A title that knows how to pick up and update the essence of the saga, and that is the basis of a resurgence that seems to have a long life ahead of it. If you like the genre, clear your diaries.

PC Gamer - Robert Zak - 77 / 100

A worthy new entry in the legendary series that's equal parts progressive and dated.

PC Invasion - Damon Apelt - 8.5 / 10

Age of Empires IV is fun, well executed slice of real-time strategy that doesn't quite bring anything new to the table.

PCGamesN - Ian Boudreau - 8 / 10

Polishing a classic formula without revolutionising it, this is a robust package that includes something for just about every kind of RTS player, from beginners to grizzled veterans.

Polygon - Austen Goslin - Unscored

Age of Empires 4 revives the series’ brilliance

RedTieGuy - Basil Frank - 8.5 / 10

Age of Empires 4 is one of the most enjoyable real-time strategy games I've played in a long time.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Sin Vega - Unscored

It could still be friendlier to newcomers, but Age Of Empires 4 is an assured step in a genre whose comeback is long overdue.

SECTOR.sk - Branislav Koh�t - Slovak - 7.5 / 10

Solid RTS with historical lessons and curiosity. But not as good as predecessors from past.

Screen Rant - Maria Meluso - 3 / 5 stars

Age of Empires 4 is a modern, faithful addition.

SomosXbox - Susana Puche - Spanish - 8.4 / 10

Age of Empires IV es el punto de partida perfecto para continuar la saga si se sigue el mismo modus operandi, un juego muy completo con horas y horas de entretenimiento y un festín tanto para los aficionados de la historia como de la estrategia. Se ve de lejos el gran trabajo que han hecho sus creadores cuidando cada detalle.

Spaziogames - Marino Puntorieri - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Age of Empires IV feels like an intriguing evolution from Age of Empires II and shows the right balance between a deep and layered gameplay and

Stevivor - Stuart Gollan - 8 / 10

The strategic polish of two decades is on display in Age of Empires 4, both in the history of this series and the pedigree of the developer. Relic has wrapped an interesting if slightly flawed single player experience around what is a superb strategy game.

TechRaptor - Austin Suther - 9.5 / 10

Exciting civilizations, incredible attention to detail, and engrossing story campaigns makes for a game where it's impossible to not have a good time.

The Games Machine - Marco Bortoluzzi - Italian - 8.7 / 10

Despite some relatively minor issues, especially in the graphical compartment, Age of Empires IV is an excellent new chapter in the history of one of the most beloved RTS sagas. Relic Entertainment and World's Edge kept true to the roots of the series while at the same time not forgetting to innovate the formula in interesting and creative ways.

TheSixthAxis - Dominic Leighton - 8 / 10

Age of Empires 4 is a deeply enjoyable return for the series. It puts history front and centre, and opts to refresh its gameplay instead of reinvent it. That may not be enough for some. Then again, when you've got a series that's remained the base template for RTS games for more than twenty years, who can blame them?

VG247 - Josh Broadwell - 4 / 5 stars

There’s no need to change what works already, though a few additional gameplay flourishes could have helped AoE 4 feel more fresh and exciting. The campaigns are robust, but the missing content stands out in its absence. That’s especially true considering Age of Empires 4 is a full-priced release, though being on Game Pass makes it a more appealing prospect. What’s here is still more than enough to be getting on with, but lIke any good strategist, World’s Edge is planning ahead for the long game.

VGC - Jordan Middler - 4 / 5 stars

Age of Empires 4 is a brilliant sequel to an RTS classic that plays it safe while streamlining some of the series' more tedious mechanics.

Wccftech - Chris Wray - 9 / 10

Age of Empires IV is, in almost every way, a true sequel to Age of Empires II. It plays great and has a few new features that add more tactical elements to combat and how you develop your faction.

Windows Central - Cale Hunt - 5 / 5 stars

Age of Empires 4 builds greatly on the series' reputation that began in 1997. If you're a fan of RTS games, world history, or both, this should be an easy recommendation. With dozens of hours of campaign play, eight unique civilizations, hours of live docu-style video segments, and a ton of maps for skirmishes, there's no shortage of well-polished content to enjoy. Get it on its own or enjoy it through a subscription to Xbox Game Pass for PC.

Worth Playing - Tony "OUberLord" Mitera - 7.9 / 10

It's that safety in embracing the past that represents Age of Empires 4's most obvious flaw. In many ways, it plays and feels like the game is simply Age of Empires 2 with a very well applied fresh coat of paint. Love letter or no, between the rough issues with the campaign and the reuse of the multiplayer, it feels more like a remaster of an older game than of a new entry into the series. It is not easy to please fans of the long-running franchise while also attempting to attract new ones to it, and Age of Empires 4 finds itself in a strange no-man's land between those two goals.

XboxEra - Pieter Jasper - 8.5 / 10

it’s not revolutionizing the genre or setting a new standard in design. It has taken the best aspects of various games, creating a well-rounded package, with love and care of the stories being told and the civilizations and historical sagas being represented. Is it going to instigate new dawn for the classical real-time strategy game? Very doubtful. Is it going to be an amazing experience for fans of the genre? Absolutely.

noise36

Another quality game on gamepass. Pre-installed and ready to go!
Flight Sim - 90 (technically only console port)
Psychonauts 2 - 89
Deathloop - 88
Age of Empires IV - 85

Good variety of well rated games

Reminds me of when netflix started pouring billions into content to become HBO before HBO could become them. It took a while but the result was that they now dominate the award shows 44 Emmys in 2021 more than any other network or platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the biggest release of the year for me.
Just waiting to start that 90gb download.
I hope Relic will make expansions alongside the CoH3 development. MS has shown good support for both AoE2 &3 DE so I'm hopeful.

Kadve

it could be that the gameplay is what matters most? The game looks fine and is made to run on a ton of PCs. It's not meant to push boundaries.
True, but i never played AOE2 (was never interested in it unlike mythology and 3) and this looks outdated. As if the developers had a "good enough" mentality when it comes to certain aspects and it makes me wonder what else was "good enough".

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I think I will be sticking to AOE2 remaster. It's just about perfection.

Nice that it has reviewed decently overall though, will see how they improve upon it with patches.

Vaelka

This game is a great example of why graphical fidelity isn't everything, AoE2:DE looks soooooooooooooooooo much better.
AoE4 is honestly pretty awful to look at.

Chukhopops

he isn't wrong, though. It's really quite surprising, I was expecting a lot more for a flagship franchise like this.
It’s ok to expect things but I don’t think an RTS game review should dock points for that. If anything graphics should focus on simplicity and readability for that kind of game.

iHaunter

Ooo this fell off my radar, I loved the beta.

Time to buy! Didn't care about reviews TBH, just liked the game. Glad reviews are good though.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'll give this a try tonight when it drops. Game Pass PC has me drowning in games. I can barely keep up.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

• Visuals still looking washed out, low budget zero effort when years old games outdo them already.
  • keymappings still not good on the level of age of empire 2.
  • UI still looks like a mess and worse then age of empire 2.

Honestly they should have given this title to another developer, absolute lack busting effort.

This game won't push age of emprie 2 players to the new age. it fills like a easy cash in with no budget behind it.

Will still get it tho

Who plays RTS games for graphics though? What a weird argument, graphics should be bottom priority versus mechanics, balance, etc.

People with eyes.

Last edited:
It’s ok to expect things but I don’t think an RTS game review should dock points for that. If anything graphics should focus on simplicity and readability for that kind of game.
I like to be immersed so graphics matter a lot to me. Some people focus more on mechanics and therefore care more about that. People like different things.

Last edited:

Jennings

I'm buying the game x2 for our household PCs, and AoE4 has been my most anticipated release all year, but even though I'll still be playing on day one I have to admit my disappointment with how ugly the game is. I genuinely expected better and I am let down in that regard. At times it looks like a mid-budget Unity game.

RespawnX

• Visuals still looking washed out, low budget zero effort when years old games outdo them already.
  • keymappings still not good on the level of age of empire 2.
  • UI still looks like a mess and worse then age of empire 2.

Honestly they should have given this title to another developer, absolute lack busting effort.

This game won't push age of emprie 2 players to the new age. it fills like a easy cash in with no budget behind it.

Will still get it tho

People with eyes.
Visuals don't look washed out in motion, just TAA isn't well implemented. Played without Ingame-AA most of the time and used third party solutions, you get clean and good image quality. (Graphics aren't the best in class but they are solid and a overall pretty art style. Sound on the other side is superb creating a really dense atmosphere.)
Keymapping is lacking, right. As most serious reviewers are complaing about that I'm looking forward to enhancements.
UI is still very ... basic and needs some enhancements.
AI has some troubles.

Beside that, it's a very good game and feels like an Age of Empires. Played over 40 hours during the review period and have some complains but I think it turned out the right way. Especially considering, that most problems can be fixed with some patches. Reading other reviews I'm pretty sure that lot of the people didn't invest much time in the game or rushed in on low difficulty. Still discovering new gameplay mechanics after so many hours. The diversity playing the civilizations is great, they added a good amount of deepth. If you like AoE II there are many signs that you are going to like AoE IV. But it isn't a copy or a footprint or anything else. AoE formula but adapted in a modern way, not a revolution but a well crafted AoE evolution based on good amount of experience Relic has. Try it on game pass with an open mind and don't read to much into the reviews. They tend to sell emotional loaded clickbait opinions.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
And nobody seems to be pointing out the game barely looks much better than AOE 3. A game which came out in 2005...

Sounds like most reviewers are simply giving high scores due to nostalgia.
What? It looks way better.

Unfortunately, no more hilarious ragdoll physics, however.

The game has merit.

Skifi28

If you're making a game so similar to AoE2, it has to be better for it to be meaningful. I haven't played it yet, but every time I see footage I want to play AoE2 definitive instead. It's like an uninspired remake when a perfect remastered version already exists.

Is it a bad game? Probably not. Just sort of pointless.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You be the judge but i'm not so sure.
693106-925735_20051014_002.jpg

KOLBtAn.jpg
Yes, I'm sure. Play the actual games side by side in motion and don't rely on compressed screen shots. At the very least use two videos with high bitrate and optimal in-game graphics settings.

AoE4 doesn't have the latest and greatest groundbreaking visuals compared to other recent titles, but it's still pretty good when compared to AoE3 and AoE3 Definitive Edition. AoE4 is designed to be run on a variety of systems and be accessible and playable to even low tier systems which is fine, given that this is also a competitive title. It scales up decently well, during my time with the game. It's not mind-blowing eye candy, but it's not supposed to be and it's good enough for what it is.

Under the hood, the gameplay mechanics are fairly solid and the AI machine learning algorithms can potentially be very useful for the future of this game.

Kenpachii

Visuals don't look washed out in motion, just TAA isn't well implemented. Played without Ingame-AA most of the time and used third party solutions, you get clean and good image quality. (Graphics aren't the best in class but they are solid and a overall pretty art style. Sound on the other side is superb creating a really dense atmosphere.)
Keymapping is lacking, right. As most serious reviewers are complaing about that I'm looking forward to enhancements.
UI is still very ... basic and needs some enhancements.
AI has some troubles.

Beside that, it's a very good game and feels like an Age of Empires. Played over 40 hours during the review period and have some complains but I think it turned out the right way. Especially considering, that most problems can be fixed with some patches. Reading other reviews I'm pretty sure that lot of the people didn't invest much time in the game or rushed in on low difficulty. Still discovering new gameplay mechanics after so many hours. The diversity playing the civilizations is great, they added a good amount of deepth. If you like AoE II there are many signs that you are going to like AoE IV. But it isn't a copy or a footprint or anything else. AoE formula but adapted in a modern way, not a revolution but a well crafted AoE evolution based on good amount of experience Relic has. Try it on game pass with an open mind and don't read to much into the reviews. They tend to sell emotional loaded clickbait opinions.

CnhSMYl.jpeg

VS

36c80ed023d44d6f0688bf03b380a8d9.jpg

Tell me its taa, or its just the visuals that look like washed out blurry as hell? i can't believe people can't seem to see it. And every video showcases it big time that people make. I got 4 screens with 3 from different brands all IPS and calibrated so no its not my screens that make it look bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom