• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires IV - Reviews Are Out

wut its only a 27gb install here.
Does the installer reduce in size or something? I'm looking at the preload and get presented with this

DDbjwgP.png

Whats a GP app? Gamepass App?
Oh snap yep Xbox app :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've never played an AoE before. Should I go back and play others before or is this just more refined than previous ones?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No clue it downloaded 27gb here and that's about it.
Really? Hmmm. Gonna have to se for myself. Looking forward to a new experience. I got the room on one SSD, but man, I don't need 4K. I play at 1440p on PC.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Why do some reviewers (e.g. IGN) criticize that the game play almost like Age 2? The fans of the series loved Age 1 & 2 for what they were. Age 3 was ... well something else that was almost no longer recognizable.

What a load of bollocks. AoE III was absolutely an AoE game. And they actually tried to do something different and innovative while keeping the feel of an AoE game. It also looked so much better than AoE II for its time.

I say that as a massive AoE fan. The only things that weren't great in AoE III were the map sizes and to a degree the campaigns (but if you like a cheesy story that you don't take seriously, even that is fun).

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Getting PC Gamepass to try this out. I spent hours upong hours on AoE2 both as a kid and in college, so I'm kinda curious to see the modern iteration.

Also didn't know it has been developed by Relic. Loved Company of Heroes so that's another plus.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Made it through the tutorial. Pretty great.

I want to use dual monitors but it just stretches my screen across 2 monitors not ideal. I want to center on one and add more info to the other. Any info on how to get useful dual monitor support.

amigastar

wat.png

:goog_relieved:

EDIT: After starting the download it seems it's just 62GBs
yeah, thats what i thought, no way this was a valid requirement. Or maybe thats the 4k pack.

Anyways, i've never played Age of Empires 2 so I don't care if Age of Empires 4 is too much like 2.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
219gb install.......jeeeeeez....went to install and found that neither of my hard drives have enough space, granted just gotta move media over to an external drive but that is FUCKING INSANE

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Anyways, i've never played Age of Empires 2 so I don't care if Age of Empires 4 is too much like 2.
Yeah... I've been trying it out for a bit and it felt like Age of Empires 2.5. Maybe that's what they were going for but I dunno, if that's the case I would just stick to Age of Empires 2, which Definitive Edition looks better than IV imho.

219gb install.......jeeeeeez....went to install and found that neither of my hard drives have enough space, granted just gotta move media over to an external drive but that is FUCKING INSANE
I think it's a gamepass thing. It's "just" 62GBs, the rest are 4K UHD cinematics which download you can cancel and just play the game as is.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Anybody understand how groups work? I add all spearmen to group 1, add archers to group 2. I have group 1 selected and then press shift+2 to add group 2 to my selection and it adds a random assortment of units to group 2.

amigastar

Since nobody asked i want to tell you guys about the artist from Age of Empires 4.
His name is Craig Mullins and he did art for this game and some others.
I thought maybe someone would be interested in that. He's a modern master.
I'm telling this because sometimes we take these kinda things as granted and don't appreciate the real art behind it.
His website:

4b800e3a1c4d1a22eded9bf2e385a1f9346c298d.jpeg

craig-mullins-halo-series-2.jpg

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Since nobody asked i want to tell you guys about the artist from Age of Empires 4.
I'm telling this because sometimes we take these kinda things as granted and don't appreciate the real art behind it.
His website:

Thanks for the info Craig

Fools idol

Banned
His website:

Indeed, his works are magnificent. I knew of him from his shared assasins creed works, just a deep sense of place in all of his works. I love his use of lighting.

AJUMP23

His website:

Nice to see Craig getting work after his lackluster appearance in the Halo demo. 😀

Thanks for sharing I like the cool art and I like to hear about the people that can do stuff that I never could.

Thaedolus

I think I’m on the 4th camping mission or something now? It’s really great, I’m very much enjoying the history lessons and HD shots of modern locations, very impressive presentation. I’m gonna be excited to play online once I get rolling more

Top Bottom