• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ah shit: Intel CEO says chip shortage could last until 2023

Kenpachii

? This obviously flew above your head. Sorry.

Edit: Thought I needed some backround info here obviously... You can't just give your contract's to others when China is sitting on over 90% of the minerals needed to make said chips. On some minerals they even have monopoly. Please do some reading, it's not hard.

Highly doubt that only one place those minerals can be found and its located in china. And even if that's the case. its time to start investing into alternative technology. Or start controlling china.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Thank god console using AMD chips

Meme Puppy GIF by Shibetoshi Nakamoto

RaySoft

Highly doubt that only one place those minerals can be found and its located in china. And even if that's the case. its time to start investing into alternative technology. Or start controlling

Highly doubt that only one place those minerals can be found and its located in china. And even if that's the case. its time to start investing into alternative technology. Or start controlling china.
I had a funny repore here, but it's probaly not a good point. PLEASE educate yoursef instead of feeding of what you might be told otherwise.
For starters: US isn't the naval of the world.
Second: It dosent matter WHERE the minerals are situated, only WHO owns them.

RaySoft

More like WW3. Literally. I would like to say more but it gets very political. :)
Yes, my point exactly. I'd guess there should be somewhere we could discuss this without some restrictions, but the coke is where the coke is.

junguler

Banned
i wonder how many more years of blaming corona for all the problems in the world we are going to suffer thru? get your shit together damn it, people need to consoom.

Kenpachii

I had a funny repore here, but it's probaly not a good point. PLEASE educate yoursef instead of feeding of what you might be told otherwise.
For starters: US isn't the naval of the world.
Second: It dosent matter WHERE the minerals are situated, only WHO owns them.

This is where i base my reaction on.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/17/the-new-us-plan-to-rival-chinas-dominance-in-rare-earth-metals.html

Unless they are talking about different materials used in those chips, link me the names of what is used in those chips. So i can see how "right" you are. Because so far it sounds like utter bullshit that china "owns" all those mines on the planet and are the only ones able to mine it.

it sounds to me more like, the west doesn't give 2 flying fucks much like what that article i linked above says because china is cheaper and frankly that's a non issue. Unless china makes it a issue and boom the next day there monopoly is gone as people just mine and refine it themselves at that point.

So based on that article.

Moving production to the west and mining infastructure = problem solved.

Last edited:
This would be true if there was actually a supply shortage.

That's not the case. The problem in the semiconductor industry is one of massively over-inflated demand, due to customers panic buying to secure their place in the queue and shore up their supply chain.

The fabs like TSMC and co have to get the bigger customers to revise down their orders so that they reflect more realistic demand, and then push the smaller customers to do the same. It's not an easy problem to tackle, however, because everyone is overprotective of their spot.

It's basically the same thing that happened at the beginning of the pandemic lockdown with toilet paper, but instead of everyday people panic buying, it's corporations, and instead of toilet roll and kitchen towels, it's semiconductor products.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
This would be true if there was actually a supply shortage.

That's not the case. The problem in the semiconductor industry is one of massively over-inflated demand, due to customers panic buying to secure their place in the queue and shore up their supply chain.

The fabs like TSMC and co have to get the bigger customers to revise down their orders so that they reflect more realistic demand, and then push the smaller customers to do the same. It's not an easy problem to tackle, however, because everyone is overprotective of their spot.

It's basically the same thing that happened at the beginning of the pandemic lockdown with toilet paper, but instead of everyday people panic buying, it's corporations, and instead of toilet roll and kitchen towels, it's semiconductor products.
Very interesting. While that problem is annoying, I guess I would be relieved to hear that there isn't actually some kind of global resource shortage for computer materials; especially as a gamer.

Hope these past couple years have waken people up specifically CEO's, wall street ass hats, that reliance on China is not good. We use to have Texas Instruments making cpu's for server's and company's back in the day. IBM Use to make their own stuff.

I mean with how automated fabrication is now, I see no reason to rely on china for chip manufacturing. It can be done in people's country's especially USA. We just have to many rich assholes who would rather use China. When with all the cost saving of not having to import or give breaks to China we could make a lot of these in house.
Don't bet on it. They would sell the oxygen out of your lungs to make a quick buck. Sociopaths are running the world.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In an interview with CNBC, Gelsinger claims that the component shortage will get “incrementally better” but says there won’t be a “supply-demand balance until 2023”. Like with a similar statement made by AMD’s Lisa Su, the Intel CEO doesn’t give a specific timeframe for when supply issues will subside. However, the fact that both company heads agree that the situation won’t resolve itself this year provides the forecast with some clout.

reinking

Gold Member
Just be happy if you own a PS5, XSX, latest 3000's nVidias or 6000's AMD's. If you own them all then you're pretty lucky.
Call me lucky. I don't plan to put much effort into any upgrade for the next two year. I might upgrade something when the new stuff comes out but only if I stumble upon it. I feel good where I am at right now with the exception of the PSVR2. I can live without it so I am in no rush for it.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
It's just a little rough-going right now. Prospecting businesses that hoarded chips, covid, economic shifting, energy shortages, work shortages, strikes, and distribution troubles. Humanity is sorting a lot at the moment. We will all live to game another day though. I feel we will adjust in time.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Call me lucky. I don't plan to put much effort into any upgrade for the next two year. I might upgrade something when the new stuff comes out but only if I stumble upon it. I feel good where I am at right now with the exception of the PSVR2. I can live without it so I am in no rush for it.

Good for you! Last time I played something was in August. Not into gaming recently despite great games like GOT DLC is out. Don't like to game on my PC as well as it feels like shitting where I eat. Will keep playing on PS5, seems like a clean separation.

Good for you! Last time I played something was in August. Not into gaming recently despite great games like GOT DLC is out. Don't like to game on my PC as well as it feels like shitting where I eat. Will keep playing on PS5, seems like a clean separation.

For some reason PC gaming always feels different, like more pure and fun if that makes any difference, despite me preferring the console experience. For some reason when I setup an HDMI cable from my PC or gaming laptop to my 4KTV and play the game on there, for some reason it's like those are my longest ever gaming sessions where I just refuse to stop.

reinking

Gold Member
For some reason PC gaming always feels different, like more pure and fun if that makes any difference, despite me preferring the console experience. For some reason when I setup an HDMI cable from my PC or gaming laptop to my 4KTV and play the game on there, for some reason it's like those are my longest ever gaming sessions where I just refuse to stop.
I play on both PC and consoles but my experience is the opposite. Consoles feel more pure and fun to me. They are (or at least used to be) load and go. Everyone on equal grounds. PC has some tweaking and a range of what players have access to. For the true pure and fun nothing will ever beat arcades IMO.

I play on both PC and consoles but my experience is the opposite. Consoles feel more pure and fun to me. They are (or at least used to be) load and go. Everyone on equal grounds. PC has some tweaking and a range of what players have access to. For the true pure and fun nothing will ever beat arcades IMO.

That's the crazy part. I prefer the console experience, but I can't deny that knowing I'm playing on PC always gets me more back to feeling like when I was in elementary through high school, where I have my longest gaming sessions for some reason.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
i love pc gaming but fuck it im done with this bullshit. will see how long my 2080 lasts (hasn't let me down yet) and get a Xbox to replace my PC.
Lol, by the time a 2080 isn't viable for playing games pretty damn well, we'll be well into 2024 bub, at least. My 1080ti STILL plays every new release at 3440x1440 90+fps at high settings. You'll be fine.

it really is a bitch getting a next gen console. even when i got serious about it, it still took me like 2 months to actually get a PS5. it was frustating as hell sitting on my computer all morning waiting for drops. it was worth it though. will start looking for an XSX probably early next year. stock trackers are the key. they'll give you an accurate heads up on when to expect stock and at what retailer.
Keep an eye out on GameStop. They have a partnership with Microsoft so many of them get a priority supply of Series X. I ended up calling a bunch in my area when someone posted on Gaf of a big incoming drop a few months back. One store got 22 in stock and was first come first serve. Felt lucky to get one.

Lol, by the time a 2080 isn't viable for playing games pretty damn well, we'll be well into 2024 bub, at least. My 1080ti STILL plays every new release at 3440x1440 90+fps at high settings. You'll be fine.
i know how the card runs. it can run Cyberpunk at 1440p 60fps ultra RTX or 90-110fps with no RTX. it can handle Flight Simulator. so yeah i know i will get another couple years out if i keep it. it's a great card. my original plan was to sell it towards a 3090 for 4K or higher framerates at 1440p but fuck that.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's not just gaming that is getting fucked by this.

Just bought a new washing machine because the old one straight up died and I had to wait six weeks, supply chains are broken.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to a recent report, which cites an interview with Nikkei Asia, CEO of Intel, Pat Gelsinger, does not expect the situation to get any better until 2023, saying that demand for products is continuing to rise in the midst of the ongoing global pandemic. With the latest Omicron variant now affecting many countries, it seems as though there will be problems for a while longer as more people become isolated and supplies become increasingly difficult to get hold of.

Marvel14

Banned
The 'ahh shit' threw me off and I read the headline quickly as "Incel CEO says Chick shortage could last until 2023"

What am I smoking?

Drew1440

I wonder if this would push people to cloud game services rather than purchasing consoles outright. Does Sony have any PS5 clusters for PSnow? I know Microsoft started to deploy Series X based clusters.

Gamerguy84

Yep I'm planning on it. I have my PS5. I'm driving the vehicle I want to be driving for thr next couple years.

I'm locked in with most everything and plan to be stagnant.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Intel chief Pat Gelsinger has predicted that the global chip shortage will remain a challenge for the industry until at least 2024, particularly in areas such as foundry capacity and tool availability.

Despite this forecast, Gelsinger outlined that Intel is in a "good position" to manage the constraints that arise as a result of the supply chain shortage.

"In fact, Intel is rising to meet this challenge," he told investors on Thursday during a first-quarter earnings call.

"Following our announcements in Arizona, New Mexico, and Ohio, we recently announced a series of investments in Europe, spanning our existing operations as well as our new investments in France and Germany -- the silicon junction," he continued.

"These investments position Intel to meet the future growth, and represent a significant step toward our moonshot goal of having half the world's semiconductor manufacturing located in the US and Europe."

Top Bottom