• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 is coming October 17, 2023 | PlayStation Showcase

bender

What time is it?
I thought Control would have more influence on this game.
giphy.gif

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Looks great. First was okay but inject some more max payne DNA and it can be a gem.

Banned
Xbox pre order page has details about the story

Description​

Weird that they're calling the FBI, not FBC.

I thought Control would have more influence on this game.

the character is Alex Casey, he's a fictional character written by Alan Wake, and basically that universe's Max Payne (he has basically the same back story but instead of being a video game character he's from a book)
hence he has the face of Sam Lake and is voiced by the James McCaffrey

Last edited:

Killer8

Yes, which is very dumb at the end of the day. It accomplishes nothing and the companies still get money from others. I had a friend who refused to pay an extra $10 dollars or something to get a PS5 at Walmart because he did not want them to have the extra $10 when he could have finally had the PS5 during the shortage. It's just childish and silly and the whole "it's the principle" excuse doesn't make sense to me imo.

The person boycotting is the one who ends up suffering in the end anyways. Look at what happened with Hogwarts Legacy, what a great boycott that was for them. Sure damaged their finances!

It's more about what the boycotter wants to do with their hard earned money. In general I don't give my money to people I dislike or to people who dislike me. I'm sure many people would agree with that principle. I'm under no illusion that i'm damaging anyone's finances or sending some kind of message here. I'm also not encouraging anyone to do the same as me. It's as simple as: I dislike Epic and I want to avoid doing business with them where I can. Epic could have a record breaking financial year and Tim Sweeney could be diving into a room full of cash, Scrooge McDuck-style, and it would be irrelevant to whether or not I gave them more money.

It's more about what the boycotter wants to do with their hard earned money. In general I don't give my money to people I dislike or to people who dislike me. I'm sure many people would agree with that principle. I'm under no illusion that i'm damaging anyone's finances or sending some kind of message here. I'm also not encouraging anyone to do the same as me. It's as simple as: I dislike Epic and I want to avoid doing business with them where I can. Epic could have a record breaking financial year and Tim Sweeney could be diving into a room full of cash, Scrooge McDuck-style, and it would be irrelevant to whether or not I gave them more money.
But yet you rather make yourself suffer and not play a game that you're really looking forward? Meanwhile, let's say it gets amazing scores and everyone's raving about it and having fun. Yet, you've already decided to lock yourself and miss out and not enjoy a really solid title?

Yeah, what a great win that is for you..

No offense, I just don't understand what you are getting out of this by taking such actions.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Looks great. First was okay but inject some more max payne DNA and it can be a gem.

It might just be the trailer cuts we've seen, but it appears AW2 is ratcheting up the horror by a large margin. There were things to like about the original (some of the best partner AI in gaming history and Barry was a gem), but the combat was very one note and was featured way too much. The setting was nice but it felt like it had a confused atmosphere, not scary enough to be a horror title or quirky enough to be a Twin Peaks homage. You can really feel the development hell it went through and is probably why Remedy has had a hard time finding their footing financially ever since.

Killer8

But yet you rather make yourself suffer and not play a game that you're really looking forward? Meanwhile, let's say it gets amazing scores and everyone's raving about it and having fun. Yet, you've already decided to make yourself suffer and not enjoy a really solid title?

Yeah, what a great win that is for you just because you didn't want to give a company your money. Anyways, it's on PSN store so what is the issue? Lol.

Yeah, i'm sitting here in tears right now, contemplating slitting my own wrists at the prospect of not playing a good looking game with a questionable publisher... "suffer" lmao.

My mind has already moved onto the other dozen or so games coming out this year that interest me. I basically shrugged and moved on when I heard the news of no physical release, and only the replies are still bringing me back here.

Bridges

It looks incredible. I cannot believe we are finally so close.

Seems odd to me that this takes such little direction from Alan Wake 1 or Control but thematically this seems awesome.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
doesn't this poster kind of hint of Saga being the main protagonist but Alan the central character?

EGS_AlanWake2_RemedyEntertainment_S2_1200x1600-c7c8091ddac0f9669c8e5905bca88aaa

Last edited:
Looks really promising, my pick of the show.

Just please don’t make the FBI lady a typical strong, ultra confident wise cracking woman who doesn’t take shit from no one … it’s been done to death.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Control is supposed to be in the alan wake universe right? I remember some things in control reference alan wake, I wonder if this will have anything referencing control.

Yes, it's the shared Remedy universe, Control's second DLC has Alan Wake in it and has heavy hints for the sequel.

But another user replied earlier a very good point.

The events in Bright Fall are happening because Alan Wake writes them to be so, so he wrote up FBI coming there because he wouldn't have known about FBC. (Federal Bureau of Control) or Jessie etc.

Banned
I’m confused, was she in the first game? I played remastered version not too long a go but I don’t remember her.

Or is she from somewhere else.

she's in some of the live action stuff they made for Alan Wake and Quantum break, just like Alex Casey, who's the other FBI character portrayed by Sam Lake

Alex Casey is the Alan Wake universe version of Max Payne, voiced by the same voice actor and of course portrayed by Sam Lake who portrays Max in MP1.

he is the main character of Alan Wake's most popular book series and has a very similar back story as Max Payne in those books

alexcasey4pco2.jpg

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
she's in some of the live action stuff they made for the game, just like Alex Casey, who's the other FBI character portrayed by Sam Lake

If that’s case then it’s very strange choice, why even making that live action stuff if you going change the character?

From the description in the PS Store it reads like you can switch between the characters at will, but they have their own plane of existence.

Maybe they can influence each other’s worlds? Could be an interesting feature.

Yeah, i'm sitting here in tears right now, contemplating slitting my own wrists at the prospect of not playing a good looking game with a questionable publisher... "suffer" lmao.

My mind has already moved onto the other dozen or so games coming out this year that interest me. I basically shrugged and moved on when I heard the news of no physical release, and only the replies are still bringing me back here.
Questionable publisher? LOL.

Epic Games is one of the best things that the industry has right now. Unreal Engine 5.2 blows everything out of the water right and is free to use for passionate individuals or full on studios without charging money unless you make $1,000,000 worth in sales of your own game. Fortnite always pushes the GAAS models, has some of the best cosmetic in existence and the most amazing crossovers in gaming. Look at Fortnire creative and the type of stuff you can do in that.

If anything, Epic Games deserves the most amount of support possible. Yeah, their store is a bit shitty and shady, but I don't give a fuck about that. They are the kings of engines and always push the industry envelop with their technology every generation and that's a fact.

Anyways, Alam Wake 2 looks fire. Glad they're dropping physical release and will most likely purchase the PSN version.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I feel like it’s going to run like shit on console. Isn’t it….

Eh, Northlight Engine was pretty good in Control on PS5/SX. A good locked 30 FPS RT mode and an excellent 60 FPS performance mode.

Salz01

Eh, Northlight Engine was pretty good in Control on PS5/SX. A good locked 30 FPS RT mode and an excellent 60 FPS performance mode.
The 30fps didn’t feel as good as some other games at 30. But it’s been awhile since I played it. Hope they have a mode that supports 40fps

Top Bottom