• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 Milestone Achieved: Playable from Start to Finish

Dazraell

its gonna slip into 2024 sadly but whatever, cant wait

The article linked above mentions that game is almost fully playable from start to finish and they will soon enter into polishing phase. So there is a big chance that 2023 release might still be plausible

fermcr

Remedy said ... "We'll Launch One New Game Per Year Starting in 2023"

Alan Wake 2 will likely release late 2023... unless they have another game for 2023.

Last edited:

Dazraell

It's interesting they also mentioned that Alan Wake Remastered hasn't generated any royalties yet and they're hoping that second game will boost its sales

amigastar

I'm really curious how it will turn out. It's supposed to be Survival Horror.
Also looking forward to Max Payne Remakes.

kikkis

what the fuck has one gotta do with the other? Just because theyre both third person? Damn in that case, RE2R > Gears of War.
Well apparently both are supposed to be survival horror, so really the same genre. And other part is that while I appreciate well done remakes, I prefer brand new games on principle.

Yeah if all goes well and really Remedy makes linear games 1/3rd the size of something like gow ragnarok and it being not some massive open world or western rpgs, if they say they can hit 2023, they probably can.

The only reason I want this done sooner is so that they can do those Max Payne remakes. Alan Wake was such a disappointing game in my opinion. They’ve not made anything great since Max Payne 2 for me personally.

Skifi28

Playable yes, but is it any fun?

8Rl2Aj4.gif

Well apparently both are supposed to be survival horror, so really the same genre. And other part is that while I appreciate well done remakes, I prefer brand new games on principle.

I wouldnt clasify alan wake as similar to re games. Alan Wake was mostly just a walking sim more than a third person shooter horror. Will see if that changes with the second. As for new games vs remakes, sure but again, one is prolly coming next year, the other in a month or so. Weird to compare them.

H4ze

This can't come fast enoughe, but they can take all the time they need, I want a finished game plz kkthxbb

I'm really curious how it will turn out. It's supposed to be Survival Horror.
Also looking forward to Max Payne Remakes.
It has to be at least on par with RE: Remake 2 or it will be a giant disappointment. Expecting some cool lighting with the flashlight at least. I don't like the series much but it has some potential.

fatmarco

Hope it’s not a bloated mess and I also hope it wraps up the story because I doubt there will be a 3rd.
Yeah if they've managed to fool enough investors/ a publisher to fund them the money to produce this game, they definitely won't be able to pull that off again.

kikkis

I thought alan wake had pretty Innovative and unique light mechanic, so it's pretty weird that media at the time didnt give them much credit. Despite games media generally thirsting for novelty.

I thought alan wake had pretty Innovative and unique light mechanic, so it's pretty weird that media at the time didnt give them much credit. Despite games media generally thirsting for novelty.
Red Dead Redemption released on the exact same day. It pretty much overshadowed its release significantly.

Elios83

Seems on track for 2024. It usually takes an year to release after this kind of milestone.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I really liked Adam Wake when I played it originally on Xbox 360. I might have to go back and revisit the PC version sitting in my library, but I’ve got to admit - I don’t have an ounce of excitement for this.

Making my prediction now that it’s going to flop, but ultimately Remedy will do well anyways selling it to subscription services to include in their lineups.

I really liked Adam Wake when I played it originally on Xbox 360. I might have to go back and revisit the PC version sitting in my library, but I’ve got to admit - I don’t have an ounce of excitement for this.

Making my prediction now that it’s going to flop, but ultimately Remedy will do well anyways selling it to subscription services to include in their lineups.
I wanted to love the first one, as I'm a huge Remedy fan (and Max Payne is in my top 5 greatest games of all time), but I had to be honest with myself; I my only loved some portions of it, while I hated others. All in all, I didn't like the character Alan very much. He hasn't nearly as loveable as Max. That said, the game play mechanics were novel, the atmosphere was top-notch and the story was incredible.

MS funded the first Alan Wake, and Remedy had to make some big changes to the initial game. It was supposed to be open-world, with strategic elements (light traps, etc), but Sam and the team had trouble keeping it open-world, while keeping player-story engagement high, so it turned into what it is today. I suspect based on everything they've learnt from Quantum Break, Control and other games in the survival horror or psychological thriller genres, they might be able to deliver something a bit closer to their initial idea, while still excelling at the strengths they have. They have much more to play with, story-wise as well, because I believe Alan Wake, Quantum Break and Control all take place in the same universe. I'm not too sure how QB might fit into that story though, or if it ever will, as I believe MS still owns the IP.

In any case, I'm excited to see what they do with Alan Wake 2. I believe in them. At the very least, we can expect amazing writing, an amazing story, top-notch visuals/graphics, great sound design and an incredible musical score - those are the things Remedy excels at

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'll buy it at EGS if it gets 90%+ average reviews. Anything less and Epic can keep it in their shitty walled garden. Anyway, here's hoping it has more enemy and combat variety, AW got old fast.

Last edited:

Hugare

Will buy it on launch day

The first one is still such a gem. Looks great on PC to this day, despite the character models.

The engine was built for open world games. Can you imagine an open world game in the PS3/360 era looking like that? It would have been amazing

Very cozy game that I finished at least once per year. Hugely excited for this one.

acm2000

I wanted to love the first one, as I'm a huge Remedy fan (and Max Payne is in my top 5 greatest games of all time), but I had to be honest with myself; I my only loved some portions of it, while I hated others. All in all, I didn't like the character Alan very much. He hasn't nearly as loveable as Max. That said, the game play mechanics were novel, the atmosphere was top-notch and the story was incredible.

MS funded the first Alan Wake, and Remedy had to make some big changes to the initial game. It was supposed to be open-world, with strategic elements (light traps, etc), but Sam and the team had trouble keeping it open-world, while keeping player-story engagement high, so it turned into what it is today. I suspect based on everything they've learnt from Quantum Break, Control and other games in the survival horror or psychological thriller genres, they might be able to deliver something a bit closer to their initial idea, while still excelling at the strengths they have. They have much more to play with, story-wise as well, because I believe Alan Wake, Quantum Break and Control all take place in the same universe. I'm not too sure how QB might fit into that story though, or if it ever will, as I believe MS still owns the IP.

In any case, I'm excited to see what they do with Alan Wake 2. I believe in them. At the very least, we can expect amazing writing, an amazing story, top-notch visuals/graphics, great sound design and an incredible musical score - those are the things Remedy excels at
bloody hope its not open world, keep that shit away from cinematic story games

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The first Alan Wake was a solid third person poltergeist game, I got to get this game.

bloody hope its not open world, keep that shit away from cinematic story games
I don't think it'll be open-world. It'll be hard to tell the type of stories Remedy likes in an open-world format. But I suspect it'll be a much larger world than the 1st Alan Wake, with a bit more freedoms, and they might revisit some of their earlier efforts to incorporate some strategy with "light weapons" into the gameplay. I doubt it'll just be a flash light, like the previous game.

Top Bottom