• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake Remastered Coming to Xbox One, Xbox Series S/x, Epic Store, Ps4 , and Ps5 Fall 2021

Really want. one of those games that didn’t grab me at first but I revisited it about 3 years after the initial release and properly played it and ended up really appreciating it.
Even went for that don’t ever get damaged achievement which was infuriating 😂

This are cutscenes, IDK if the Xbox 360 version use real time engine cutscenes or pre-render, but they can be using A.I to the cutscenes.

Not bad at all.
The character models and lighting have changed, assets have a higher poly count, as well (look at the trees in the car pics and the chair Barry is sitting on), but yeah, no gameplay footage yet, won't be far off though.

Here's a new screenshot compared to a dodgy Youtube capture though

D30VLvC.png

gvYR3NF.png

Last edited:

mxbison

It was a cool but I don't think I want to play it again if it's just graphics upgrades.

Combat is pretty awful.

tommib

Looking good. I have 300 games to finish but at 30 EUR I’ll get it. Also, Metroid Dread. Also, Diablo 2. 303 games now. 💀

Larxia

I hope it's the screenshots doing this, but all the screenshots so far have this over sharpen look, like a badly calibrated tv or a shitty reshade filter, it looks quite bad.
Anyway outside of that issue it looks mostly identical to the existing PC version, I think you could share a screenshot of the PC version and say it's from the remaster and people wouldn't know.

Old
E-17E8UVkAIl-tu

New
E-16_kWVkAEH0XY

New models, lighting and assets judging by the above.
What's up with Alan's face here, he doesn't look like him.

Mr Hyde

Looks to be crossing over to remake territory. Kinda like Xenoblade Chronicles definitive edition. Not quite a full blown remake, but much more than a simple remaster.

I hope it's the screenshots doing this, but all the screenshots so far have this over sharpen look, like a badly calibrated tv or a shitty reshade filter, it looks quite bad.
Anyway outside of that issue it looks mostly identical to the existing PC version, I think you could share a screenshot of the PC version and say it's from the remaster and people wouldn't know.

He actually looks like the actor he was based off now, lol

actor-ilkka-villi-126411_large.jpg

Ilkka Villi

Larxia

He actually looks like the actor he was based off now, lol

actor-ilkka-villi-126411_large.jpg

Ilkka Villi
I disagree, he looks different, but neither versions look closer to the actor than the other. It may be the screenshot, this specific animation doing that, but he has a very weird face on that screenshot, especially the eyes. Will need to see more.

Starfield

he looks more like his reallife actor now

Kuranghi

I also noticed this, I'm guessing its a reaction people saying the older games always look too soft maybe. Hopefully you can turn it off in the settings (On PC at least...) at best and at worst a mod or ini tweak, but yeah, the shot of the corn field is especially oversharpened and his face in almost every shot.

I’ll take these graphics on a great game for 30$

Indeed, looks like a decent amount of work and I've never played the og to its all new to me, can't be annoyed at lighting changes etc.

Last edited:

Larxia

I'm looking at it fullscreen on a 65" TV and I don't see any CA. I see sharpening definitely, but no CA.

I definitely usually notice this as I HATE it just like you lol
I don't see it either, and I absolutely HATE chromatic aberration, because I also have it in real life because of glasses... it's one of my worst ennemies in my life.
But I definitely don't see it on this screenshot, it might just be the oversharpen look giving them this idea, all the contours have this "bleeding" look, it's supposed to be sharper but it actually makes the image blurrier when it's pushed to much, because things are less defined. Similar blur that can be seen with chromatic aberration.

Kuranghi

I don't see it either, and I absolutely HATE chromatic aberration, because I also have it in real life because of glasses... it's one of my worst ennemies in my life.
But I definitely don't see it on this screenshot, it might just be the oversharpen look giving them this idea, all the contours have this "bleeding" look, it's supposed to be sharper but it actually makes the image blurrier when it's pushed to much, because things are less defined. Similar blur that can be seen with chromatic aberration.

Yeah the sharpening is too much, you can see it sharpens the DoF effect outline on the waitress and creates an unpleasant border. I think the banding/bad contours is more caused by it being a low quality compressed image thats been recompressed a few times, hopefully anyway.

Larxia

Yeah the sharpening is too much, you can see it sharpens the DoF effect outline on the waitress and creates an unpleasant border. I think the banding/bad contours is more caused by it being a low quality compressed image thats been recompressed a few times, hopefully anyway.
It does kind of look like this yes, Photoshop for example can give a similar result (not as strong though, unless you do it multiple times I guess) if you reduce the size of an image using the wrong scaling method. So if they did that and it's been compressed several times by being reuploaded here and there, that's possible.

Kuranghi

It does kind of look like this yes, Photoshop for example can give a similar result (not as strong though, unless you do it multiple times I guess) if you reduce the size of an image using the wrong scaling method. So if they did that and it's been compressed several times by being reuploaded here and there, that's possible.

I think the twitter image uploader/re-encoder absolutely destroys image quality usually, because whoever tunes the quality of that is viewing the results on a tiny phone screen and thinking "good enough", but if you view it on a 65" then its like, holy crap quality batman.

I recently discovered this site for uploading png screenshots without quality loss, here is my album for Dead Space 2 where I'm playing in native 8K:

I wish they would upload to sites like that lol

ShadowNate

They Assassin's Creed Revelations Desmond-ed the Alan Wake face.

(edit: it was Revelations that did it)

Last edited:
So do we know if any of the DLC (The Signal, The Light) is included? Doesn't sound like from the letter in the OP but holding out faint hope.

If it's not included then I won't bother because ...... they are not going to include the actual ending and charge extra for it, AGAIN.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
So do we know if any of the DLC (The Signal, The Light) is included? Doesn't sound like from the letter in the OP but holding out faint hope.

If it's not included then I won't bother because ...... they are not going to include the actual ending and charge extra for it, AGAIN.

DLC is included but no American Nightmare

ZoukGalaxy

They are. Obviously ^^

BTW I wish American Nightmare were included too but it's not.

Last edited:
Only played this briefly on Gamepass before they took it down. But with all the big releases coming this fall/winter, I might have to get this some time next year

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
They are. Obviously ^^

BTW I wish American Nightmare were included too but it's not.
I honestly think it's better off not being in. Assuming Remedy finally does make part 2 (which I assume the re-release kinda indicates they want to) it would only confuse everyone as it on first glance continues the story but then really doesn't. So I think that the audience that doesn't know it is better off anyway.

ZoukGalaxy

I honestly think it's better off not being in. Assuming Remedy finally does make part 2 (which I assume the re-release kinda indicates they want to) it would only confuse everyone as it on first glance continues the story but then really doesn't. So I think that the audience that doesn't know it is better off anyway.
I understand your point of view, anyway, it's not included so nobody will be confused. But I would really enjoy if it was, even with a soft title "relabeling" like "Alan Wake Stories: American Nightmare".
Even if it was average with some peak, I would clearly not say no if it was also present and remastered. It would be really a miss to omit it only to not confuse people, but that's probably not the reason anyway.

Let's hope a true sequel is finally coming, which I think it is.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Great game for its time, but no interest at all to replay. Simple mod investment for Epic, understand all this remaster/ remake BS, but its really fcking lazy.

Kenpachii

Definitely showing it’s age. The remake needs to redo just about every aspect to bring it upto today’s standards.

No money in it.

Before they got there rights back Microsoft made sure everybody on PC got the game for peanuts. They would give the game away for free every moment on every client they possible could and sold the game for years for cents.

The IP on top of it is tainted by bad gameplay stigma which means u are better of making a new ip like control.

Nobody / sony or microsoft will invest money into the IP its death to them or else microsoft wouldn't even let the IP go to start with. So they gotta fund it all themselves which is never going to happen. As they rather make a new IP at that point.

I was interested into seeing why they wanted the IP back from ms its control after they announced they got the rights back towards it for a game that's practically a zombie.

Maybe alan wak 2? or a remake to bring it back to what they originally wanted?

It now makes sense. remasters for console users.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
tbh if this is priced around £30 i'm in, been years since i played it on the 360 but i remember enjoying the shit out of it

Top Bottom