• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX: The First Hands-On

Krizalidx11

Banned
Shit man this is hardcore nostalgia vibes, i was 5 when this one came out on SEGA Genesis and played it the 1st time

Alexkiddenchantedcastle1.jpg

Kazza

Is this just a straight up remake then? I had the impression that it was going to be a Sonic Mania like deal with lots of new levels etc.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't feel the art style. Original had much more contrast and strong colors. Modern looks very washed out and hazy.
Same. I watched to see if it had improved from the last time I saw it, but it's largely the same.

I don't have nostalgia for Alex Kidd in Miracle World (I do for the sounds of that era, though), as Shinobi World was the one I had. But I still prefer the original here.

I feel for the reviewer. It's an easy one to review in a sense, but it's also not. It's a classic game where barely anything besides the visuals has changed. I couldn't stretch that out to 4 minutes.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I’ve rarely seen such a patched together rollercoaster of a game. Starts off nice and doable (the physics are quite terrible, but the level design suits them in the first levels), then goes on with barely though-out levels and the final stretch is a collection of bullshit one-way traps and pixel-perfect sections, and it’s got nothing to do with everything that came before. The Sega Ages version at least had the decency to give you the solutions to the janken boss “fights” - seriously, who in the effin’ world thought that was a good idea?

playXray

There is some nostalgia for me with this, but honestly, I just don't remember it being a good game. It was the only game I had at the time so I played it a lot, but as soon as I got Sonic and a few other games I literally never went back to Alex Kidd.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watch the latest trailer for the upcoming game for a look at gameplay and various locations in Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX.

Help Alex destroy the evil Janken the Great and rescue the people of Radaxian once and for all when Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX arrives on PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S, and Nintendo Switch on June 22, 2021.

After Atari from my childhood ended and I was a "grown up" teen, videogames were kid stuff to me despite persistent talks at school. Then my little sister asked for a Sega Master System (it was more popular than NES in many countries). This game came with it.

take a look at the original looks in the video - that was my first taste of a nextgen jump. Those tiles were really rich and nextgen next to Atari stick figures...

anyway, interesting remake in the same vein as Wonderboy:

blows my mind that just like with Sonic Mania too, it's just a couple indie devs approaching Sega and saying "Here's a remake of your game. Can we sell it?" and getting greenlight.

Sega does what Nintendon't indeed. Better for fans...

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Seems like they're taking notes from LizardCube's Wonder Boy III remake, layering the new looks and sounds over the original game.

I was a Sega kid and loved my SMS but I always though Alex Kidd was a little overhyped and not much of a match for Mario the way it was positioned. I like it but it's not anywhere near my top games on the system.

But it ends up being the third or fourth best SMS remake that's still good company.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Looks fantastic. I hope it sells enough to warrant a sequel. You know, a true sequel, not what Sega actually did back then.

SF Kosmo

Looks fantastic. I hope it sells enough to warrant a sequel. You know, a true sequel, not what Sega actually did back then.
Enchanted Castle was a true sequel. I am not sure we need a new one.

I kind of like Lost Stars though. Sega's psychedelic period was really something.

I beat that game before I ever saw an NES back in 1988. It was a gem, it was ahead of its time and sadly Sega didn't know how to build up from it. The sequels were lackluster and once considered the Sega mascot it faded into obscurity.

cHaOs667

Can't wait for the Release, but the possibility to switch between the old and new graphics is a bit of a waste for me.

Back in the days, I didn't like the original graphics and I still don't like them today.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Looks good, but the game will still be trash if they don’t rework the physics.
There’s a reason Mario became the king of platformers, and that’s the fact that Mario controls as any sane person would expect for the games to work properly. Alex Kidd, Adventure Island etc. are slippery, uncontrollable messes. Alex Kidd’s short-range punch makes it all the worse. And somehow, the controls in Enchanted Castle were even worse!

I’m repeating myself, but it doesn’t take a genius to understand why Alex Kidd was dropped as Sega’s mascot the minute Sonic was created.

Kazza

There’s a reason Mario became the king of platformers, and that’s the fact that Mario controls as any sane person would expect for the games to work properly.

Actually, I don't think there is a huge difference in physics between Mario and Alex Kidd. They both had that "character skidding on ice" feel that many 8-bit platformers had. Mario had two things in it's favour though:
1. You could bounce off the top of enemies, whereas in Alex Kidd you'd be dead
2. If you got the mushroom and became big Mario, then you got an extra hitpoint, whereas AK was a "one hit and you're dead" affair.

I like the fact that, with both Alex Kidd and Sonic, Sega created a style of their own, rather than just imitating Mario. Although all three are superficially similar (being 2D mascot platformers), they all play very differently from each other, both in terms of gameplay and level design.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Alex Kidd, Adventure Island etc. are slippery, uncontrollable messes. Alex Kidd’s short-range punch makes it all the worse. And somehow, the controls in Enchanted Castle were even worse!
I could deal with Miracle World and felt the game was designed around the slippery movement and there was a flow to it, but Enchanted Castle just doesn't work. It's a sequel doing literally anything worse.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Actually, I don't think there is a huge difference in physics between Mario and Alex Kidd. They both had that "character skidding on ice" feel that many 8-bit platformers had. Mario had two things in it's favour though:
1. You could bounce off the top of enemies, whereas in Alex Kidd you'd be dead
2. If you got the mushroom and became big Mario, then you got an extra hitpoint, whereas AK was a "one hit and you're dead" affair.
Nah, AK is so much more slippery. Mario also has two different speeds, which really enhances the control you have on the character. Sonic devs had a much better grasp on character physics, and it shows. I’m not crazy about Sonic, but I don’t hate its controls like I did with AK from the first minute.

Kazza

I'm not sure about consoles, but a steam demo is now out:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX on Steam (steampowered.com)

My impressions (of the three levels of the demo):
- the controls are definitely less slippery. When you let go of the left or right button you come to a stop pretty quickly, even when running at full speed.
- however, jumping feels much more similar to the original. Trying to land on a one block platform is still a nerve-racking experience
- still one hit deaths (not a great fan of this)
- new graphics, music, animation, sfx all good (you can switch between modern and 8-bit style anytime you want by hitting the shoulder button)
- the block destroying puzzle gameplay is still fun, and I hope they lean into this in creative ways in later levels
- there was a janken boss fight (it would be frustrating to lose a boss fight due to luck, so I hope this is a bonus thing).
- the first traditional boss fight against bull has been improved (although it's still very simple)

Overall a positive experience for me, and I'll definitely buy it when it comes out. However, I don't think it will win anyone over who didn't like the original.

Last edited:

Kazza

Is the third level new, or was it in the original (I can't remember)? I hope there are plenty of new levels. I feel the mechanics provide some interesting level design possibilities.

SF Kosmo

Played the demo. It's a good remake but the game is still not my favorite, mostly because the levels are really under designed. It almost feels random in places. The range of Alex's attack also feels too small to me.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The legendary Alex Kidd returns with Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX!  Coming to PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Nintendo Switch and PC!

Complete with new HD graphics, gameplay improvements and animations, rediscover all the levels from the original game, as well as brand new levels which expand the lore and story behind Alex Kidd.

Destroy the evil Janken the Great and rescue the people of Radaxian once and for all! The world needs a hero - what are you waiting for?

Get ready for none-stop boss action in Boss Rush mode! Take on the legendary Gooseka, Chokkina, Parplin and Janken the Great, in a nonstop boss fight!

Jump straight back into 8-bit nostalgia with Retro Mode. At any point during gameplay switch between the enhanced graphics and a recreation of the original art style! 

Features Overview 

A Legend Reborn – Dive into a stunning recreation of Alex Kidd in Miracle World with striking new art and tighter, more fluid controls.
Nostalgia always prevails – Jump straight back into the  '80s  at the touch of a button. No matter where you are in a level you can jump between classic 8-bit and full HD graphics.  
New Levels – Experience new levels which expand the lore of the original game. 
Alternative Boss Fights – New and improved boss fight mechanics with more intuitive combat. 
New and remastered music - A wide array of reimagined music tracks as well as remastered tracks from the original classic game!

The game looks beautiful, but for me, do not justify, as I already have the game on Wii Virtual Console and the Sega Ages version on Switch. Also the fact that you can finish the game in 30 minutes.

I always hated the gameplay and difficulty of this game. This hasn't changed sadly. Might still get it at some point though.
The game is incredible easy. Of course that the first time playing against the bosses is very lucky based, but overall, the game is not hard and you have almost infinite continues thanks to the continue trick.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
My friend who owned a Master System bought it and we played it for a while. I'm sad to say this, but... it didn't age well.

Controls and level design are just plain bad. I bloody hate the inertia - I don't like it even in Mario, which controls much better than this, I'm for pixel perfect controls. All those one shot death, all those traps and extremely frustrating jumps... it's just not fun to play at all. They should have made a remake with plenty of fixes and some new levels.
And it is a shame, because... I think it's the most beautiful 2D platform ever. I'm just in love with the overall art direction, the beautiful characters, the use of colors, the animations and everything. It's just bloody perfect. Goddammit I so wish they'd take those fantastic assets and use them in an all-new platform game.
They did a fantastic work with the music too.

P.S.
Janken is not completely random.

So yeah. I was super excited for this but it's literally a reskinned Alex Kidd - which is fun for a little while, but the plaftorming was never that hot and the hitboxes were ridiculous.

This worked for Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap because the game was pretty tight as it was, but it would've been cool if they were able to tighten things up a bit.

The remake looks and sounds great though and certainly adds more to the game so kudos to the devs, I don't regret spending money to show support for more classic SEGA remakes.

Top Bottom