• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Isolation lead designer has joined Rare to work on Everwild

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Gary Napper confirmed this week that he has taken on the role of design director on the game, which has remained under wraps for a number of years now.

“Thrilled to announce that today I joined Rare as design director on Everwild,” Napper confirmed. “Really looking forward to making some amazing things with this incredible team and studio.”

Napper is the latest team member to join a project that is understood to have been experiencing some turbulence behind the scenes recently.

Dr Bass

Interesting. I feel pretty confident Everwild will end up as a F2P game with a lot of MTX to support it.

But I could be wrong of course. I mean, it's happened before.

Dr Bass

It's just a hunch. But considering how Halo has played out, it's obvious MS is approaching their business with a mix of game sales, GP, and MTX supported games.

Everwild would be the perfect candidate for another platform like that. Especially since so many people seem to like to spend money for visual things, and this game will be perfect for that. Make it MS' version of animal crossing. But make it look like a Miyazaki (the Studio Ghibli one) world. Then have a ton of things you can buy and add to your virtual space. Just some ideas. 🤷‍♂️

Considering they didn't even know what the game would be a year or two ago, there was clearly no strong gameplay vision ...

Anyway. Just a complete guess based on what MS is doing business model wise. I can obviously be 100%, totally wrong. But if you're gonna make a prediction like that, gotta be willing to fall flat on your face. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Kuranghi

It's just a hunch. But considering how Halo has played out, it's obvious MS is approaching their business with a mix of game sales, GP, and MTX supported games.

Everwild would be the perfect candidate for another platform like that. Especially since so many people seem to like to spend money for visual things, and this game will be perfect for that. Make it MS' version of animal crossing. But make it look like a Miyazaki (the Studio Ghibli one) world. Then have a ton of things you can buy and add to your virtual space. Just some ideas. 🤷‍♂️

Considering they didn't even know what the game would be a year or two ago, there was clearly no strong gameplay vision ...

Anyway. Just a complete guess based on what MS is doing business model wise. I can obviously be 100%, totally wrong. But if you're gonna make a prediction like that, gotta be willing to fall flat on your face. :messenger_beaming:

Monetised Studio Ghibli visuals/style just feels so bad to me, like monetising a drawing a boy drew for his mum.

*magical noises and visuals of wonderment rudely interrupted by extremely loud chi-ching sfx*

I'm really not sure what this game will be either, I pray to the animal goddess that its not what you wrote though. We need to see more of these giant MS first party games to see what the percentage is of them going in that direction.

Top Bottom