• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Games Should Be Pushing The Graphic Barrier

Where do these people come from? Flight Sim cartoony and could be done on last gen ?

When it comes down to it any game could be done on a said system it's what needed to taken away to make it work that's the issue.
I grew up in the era of asking the ZX Spectrum to handle the state of the Art Arcade games like PowerDrift or G Loc and the era of the Master System being asked to handle Sonic and many other state of the art Mega Drive games like SOR 2.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I believe games should push “Artistic barriers“ which I love to see.
Expanding the artistic range which could but doesn’t necessarily push the graphics.
Good point. Good art ages a lot better than currently impressive graphics.
We need games that work and run at launch and are fun to play.
Walk before you run, you're right. Games that aren't finished at launch shouldn't be allowed.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
not just in the art but in the game concepts as well, especially in the west.
And thats my biggest reason I can never get excite for high tech graphics because that only direction its going, when people showing off UE5 tech demo all they ever show is visuals looking more photo realistic with scan face characters and to me boring. If that people's idea of "Pushing The Graphic Barrier" then I have no interest in it.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
No. We need a few technical power houses, ideally a new one every 1-2 years but not every game needs to be able to push the top GPUs to their limits. Especially when you consider the costs. I would rather have an 85% solution visually if they game comes out 6-12 months sooner. More games is better than less games.

ahtlas7

Op, you use Hogwarts as an example. But I challenge you to step back back and look at the architectural achievement that is Hogwarts Castle. It doesn’t blur the lines of reality but it’s an amazing environment that pushes architecture art in gaming, I’d argue, and that’s just the castle.

Fredrik

And thats my biggest reason I can never get excite for high tech graphics because that only direction its going, when people showing off UE5 tech demo all they ever show is visuals looking more photo realistic with scan face characters and to me boring. If that people's idea of "Pushing The Graphic Barrier" then I have no interest in it.
Yeah, I don’t like the anime visuals but in general I still think the eastern part of the industry is ahead right when it comes to the art direction.

I think the western part of the industry is currently focusing so much on realism, representation and modern audience themes that they kinda forgot that gaming could be fun and crazy and actually don’t have to have anything at all to do with the real world.

And for real, why do the human characters have to look normal? Why are we even playing as humans? Why not play as a green slimy blob? or a ball or a ghost or a robot larva, fly, fish, mole, vacuum cleaner?
Indies still make some unique stuff but there is no imagination left in the industry in the AAA space. There is still Ratchet & Clank though but we’ll see how long the IP is allowed to exist now that Insomniac has to juggle two big Marvel IPs too.

HL3.exe

Nah, totally done with rendering fidelity. We've hit a unsustainable barrier of entry (acquiring bigger budgets and bigger teams to even reach such fidelity) without any meaningful leaps to the games themselves.

I wish the industry would focus more on simulation complexity:
  • physicalised animation (instead of canned)
  • physics reactivity/interactivity
  • Systemic interplay (generating emergent moments)
  • Believable ai adaptability/reactivity to changing environment
  • Better persistence of the world and what the player does to it.
Way more meaningful leaps then just MoRe bEtTeR GrApHiX!!!

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah, I don’t like the anime visuals but in general I still think the eastern part of the industry is ahead right when it comes to the art direction.
I love anime aesthetics but that doesn't mean every game needs to have that artstyle.

Just look at FROM games, they dont have "anime" artstyle but their aesthetics is distinct and interesting.
476372-Sekiro-Shadows-Die-Twice-cherry-blossom-video-games.jpg

8gWTFzyHLQXnTGiVhRLeea.jpg

armored-core-vi-fires-of-rubicon-release-date-special-edition-and-trailers.jpg

I care faaaaaaar more about interesting aesthetics over raw graphical power.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I love anime aesthetics but that doesn't mean every game needs to have that artstyle.

Just look at FROM games, they dont have "anime" artstyle but their aesthetics is distinct and interesting.
476372-Sekiro-Shadows-Die-Twice-cherry-blossom-video-games.jpg

8gWTFzyHLQXnTGiVhRLeea.jpg

armored-core-vi-fires-of-rubicon-release-date-special-edition-and-trailers.jpg

I care faaaaaaar more about interesting aesthetics over raw graphical power.
Yeah FROM’s artists are amazing, they may not have the surface polish of Ragnarök and RDR2 etc but I like the visuals a ton more. Even just looking up at Stormveil Castle in Elden Ring and seeing the birds and clouds and general art direction on the castle makes me think no western studio would be able to reach that level. I really like Capcom’s artists as well, people were a bit down on SF6 after the demo but if a western studio would try to make a fighting game I know they would put me to sleep and do some boring full body scans of actors or whatever.

supernova8

Banned
Gen leaps like unreal demos are possible but there just isn't new gen only games from top studios.
I suppose such leaps should be possible given that the "absolute best" from squeezing every last drop from the PS5 should be a lot better than the same from PS4.

Even though people always say the PS4 launched as a pathetically underpowered console, the truth is we got games like Uncharted 4, Last of Us Part 2, Spiderman and God of War, none of which look like they even have a hope of running on a PS3.

If (1) PS4 was grossly underpowered and (2) we all generally agree that PS5 is at least not underpowered (let's not claim it's "superpowered" or "overpowered" for sanity's sake), logically we should eventually get some absolute visual bangers this generation.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Hell no, realism is boring, there are games I'll never play or beat because graphics bore me unbelievably, like RDR2 or AC games.

We don't need all games pushing for realism, not even graphics in general, we need games to focus on art style graphically, it's cheaper, way more appealing for most people and lasts longer... It's harder though barely anyone in the industry can push amazing art direction consistently, probably that's the reason why realism is so prevalent in western AAA gaming.

kikkis

Hell no, realism is boring, there are games I'll never play or beat because graphics bore me unbelievably, like RDR2 or AC games.

We don't need all games pushing for realism, not even graphics in general, we need games to focus on art style graphically, it's cheaper, way more appealing for most people and lasts longer... It's harder though barely anyone in the industry can push amazing art direction consistently, probably that's the reason why realism is so prevalent in western AAA gaming.
I don't agree that "art direction" is basically some kind of cel shading. For instance bloodborne has both specific art direction and realism in terms of shading. Also heavy art direction as top down from games art director tends to be slow and thus expensive. Not to mention photogrammetry is cheaper than trying to go for anime style looks for instance.

Chastten

Banned
All games should be pushing for a healthy balance between graphics, devtime, costs and everything else.

The current triple A model isn't working anymore and will ruin this hobby. Although, reading Neogaf, it has already been ruined for most of you. I have a hard time believing most of you guys are even enjoying playing videogames anymore. All most of you care about is graphics and even then, most of it is whining about unrealistic grass or whatever.

What we need is more A and AA games. I've been greatly enjoying the output of Japanese and other Asian devs these past few years. Lots of great games that only need to sell a million or something to be considered a succes and get a sequel.

Art direction is probably more important to me than raw graphics.

There are super nintendo games that still look amazing to me today because their art direction is perfect. Meanwhile, games that pushed the PS1 really hard look like complete ass.

Neff

There's an easy solution to your problem, OP. Rent a large office building, install a few hundred desks with PCs, hire staff to sit at those desks, announce your new game development studio to the press, and on the first day of your first project gather everyone for a team briefing and tell them to 'push the graphic barrier'.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I wish I could take some of you back to even the early 90s so you can appreciate how fucking good you have it these days.
If TV tech hadn’t gotten cheap enough to be able to sell 4K screens for peanuts we wouldn’t even dream of having all these threads, but here we are.

Closer

I want games to look like Yoshi's Island, Wind Waker, Jet Set Radio, Child of Light, Hi-Fi Rush, Borderlands, since forever. I don't need high tech to enjoy games, I want it to give me joy while giving me solid gameplay.

theclaw135

Banned
More unwavering photorealism. I want games it'd be possible to construct sets of the environments, and characters that can be portrayed on stage before a live studio audience.

Last edited:

Valt7786

Perfect world would be everything looking as crisp and sharp as something like Horizon 2 or Ghost of Tsushima, but with more interactivity within the worlds itself. More physics and destruction, no more trees that stand in my way, no more "oh i cant get past this door with my stack of C4 in my inventory or my Lightsaber" or "Oh no, this 2 foot wooden bench is in the corridor, better find the long way round that needs 3 keys as well".

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’ll just stick to loving the award winning, multil million selling, best games made in the last 20 years Nintendo games. Thank you

Sakura

I get what OP is saying. Has there ever been a generational leap where the visuals have seen such an incremental advancement? Most games on Series X or PS5 look like slightly higher resolution Xbox One/PS4 games. It’s a hugely underwhelming generation.
Generational leaps will get smaller and smaller. It is what it is.
Or mostly, it will be less and less noticeable.

For example, imagine going from a resolution of 960 x 540 to 1920 x 1080. The visual difference is very significant. 1080p has about 1.5 million more pixels than 540p.
Now imagine going from say 16k to 32k. 32k would have about 400 million more pixels than 16k. Yet, the noticeable difference between the two, the "leap", would be much smaller than the 540p to 1080p (if you can notice it at all).

This is the same for most of the visuals. Even if every generation had a console 10x more powerful than the last, the actual noticeable difference will get smaller and smaller. There is only so much you can do here.

Guilty_AI

Graphics are already quite far ahead in the game. I want to see games pushing other types of boundaries, or aiming to be actually interesting experiences.

Shubh_C63

Division 2 was in 2019 and it looks gorgeous.

Always pushing for higher graphics and making 200M gambles are how developers die. Just Target normal specs and make Zelda like innovative games.

Scotty W

Gold Member
These recent games haven’t kept us interested visually: Hogwarts Legacy Resident Evil 4 Wo Long Atomic Heart MW2 and more. Games are just not keeping us interested nowadays. Xbox games are too cartoony to us, It’s like Xbox studio games have art/genre dysphoria. Grounded and sea of thieves should have went the realistic route visually and upped the rating to M, but that’s old Xbox. Anyways, PlayStation games art direction have been … depends on the game. Spider-Man 2, Max Payne Remakes, GTA 6, Wolverine _._.etc should be great games. They will be. But if they have ‘PS4 Pro’ level capable graphics it’s going to let-back. The first true next gen game experience we had was the matrix unreal demo. We understand that game cannot run on a PS4. Prove us wrong on that. That’s how we know it’s truly a next gen game. The second game is unrecord that shit gave us that same effect. GTA 6 need to look just as good or even better; Now it should be the time for both machines to Impress and make us gamers get used to viewing games that look incredible. Unrecord is being created by an indie studio whose name we would have to Google but you get the point.
Lil’ gaffers is always bitin’ my shit.

These recent games haven’t kept us interested visually: Hogwarts Legacy Resident Evil 4 Wo Long Atomic Heart MW2 and more. Games are just not keeping us interested nowadays. Xbox games are too cartoony to us, It’s like Xbox studio games have art/genre dysphoria. Grounded and sea of thieves should have went the realistic route visually and upped the rating to M, but that’s old Xbox. Anyways, PlayStation games art direction have been … depends on the game. Spider-Man 2, Max Payne Remakes, GTA 6, Wolverine _._.etc should be great games. They will be. But if they have ‘PS4 Pro’ level capable graphics it’s going to let-back. The first true next gen game experience we had was the matrix unreal demo. We understand that game cannot run on a PS4. Prove us wrong on that. That’s how we know it’s truly a next gen game. The second game is unrecord that shit gave us that same effect. GTA 6 need to look just as good or even better; Now it should be the time for both machines to Impress and make us gamers get used to viewing games that look incredible. Unrecord is being created by an indie studio whose name we would have to Google but you get the point.

Billy Madison quote goes here.

It's an incremental improvement compared to all others but I'm impressed that they look better at all. Horizon 1 on ps4 was one of the best looking games for the whole gen. Really left nothing to be desired for me. Forbidden west actually looks appreciably better. Not a huge amount, but noticeable. Combine that with the better performance and I'm not particularly excited but I'll pay for it, sure.

It does provide a huge boost for graphics in vr games, though. They eat up enough power that they are effectively further back from the diminishing returns. That provided a real gen on gen improvement.
Going from playing HZD in 30fps to HFW in 60fps is a generational leap to me. Simply doubling the frame rate is enough to feel a generational difference as you can actually appreciate the detail in motion as opposed to a slideshow of judder.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I find it amusing that some of you guys didn't realize that there'd be a graphical cost when moving from 30fps being the standard, to 60fps.

Modern upscaling tech is great for saving on render-budget but that's just part of a pipeline that is always going to be restricted to moving at the speed of its slowest part.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
and frankly i don't see how people can say "photorealistic game graphics will age over the years" when many of the best looking games of the past decade like Order 1886, RDR2, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Forza Horizon 5, Jedi Fallen Order will still look good 5 or even 10 years from now. People are using 10 year old games like Ryze Son of Rome in modern graphic comparisons. We're long past the point of photorealism aging badly IMO, the only place to go from here is up

Buggy Loop

All the backlash in the thread is surprising.. should we bring back all the complaints peoples had for Elden Ring graphics? Every single threads had peoples complaining.

Nautilus

Banned
Of course they shouldn't. They should be pushing for maximum fun, not something superficial as graphics.

There is a reason why Nintendo is currently the most successful(and oldest) company in the industry.And its not because its audience are graphic whores.

StereoVsn

Looking at "performance" of these latest games, I am not sure that pushing graphics is the right way to go.

It's alright to have the options for $4K PCs with 4090s or future equivalents, but not for consoles or even PCs with good but not crazy specs.

And these graphics will cost major $$$ to develop to boot. The ROI isn't there. Now, give it a few more years and AI tools will probably deliver some of that asset creation so it can be an option.

Top Bottom