• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All jokes aside, how well do you think Jim Ryan is running PlayStation?

How well has Jim Ryan been running PlayStation?

• He has been running it well

Votes: 191 42.6%
  • He has been running it poorly

Votes: 257 57.4%

• Total voters

Yoboman

Absolutely true.

But how long PRIOR to Activision going to MS did fans scream for a renewal, or an agreement to be made for PS and Crash.

Crickets from Ryan and Sony.

It wasn’t just fans and gamers, plenty of internal players at PlayStation made it clear they wanted Crash to come back. Crickets. Absolute crickets.
They literally had a stage announcement for the Crash remakes with an exclusivity agreement. What more do you want?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
They're expanding their entire footprint and the scope of their IP. To do that they need to reach more people which means putting their IP on PC, mobile, film, TV and anywhere else they can. They want general audiences talking about their IP and experiencing it in various forms to grow overall interest in their brand.
Yeah its interesting, it reminds me of that scene in breaking bad where jessie says to Walt "are were in the meth business or money business?"

Well for sony it would be "are they in the console platform business or the money business"

They seem to be taking a similar approach to Microsoft where the console is only part of business.

Also at some point I wonder when making consoles is not the most profitable thing to do anymore.

If the goal is to make as much money as possible they should just go PC + Cloud.

Jaybe

The "We believe in generations" comment backfired I'm getting a bit sick of the cross gen shit now but that won't be just him making that decision.

I suppose I’m deviating into off topic territory, but I truly hope any AAA game released in 2023 and onward are current gen only. No issue for me if indies release cross platform, they aren’t pushing graphics, etc. to the max.

Zok310

Banned
PC, best games in their history, bigger studios, best rev/profits ever in sie history, and bought bungie. What more do you want?

Last edited:

vivftp

I wonder if the demand for PS5 will remain so strong, because while the PS5 is a great console which has some very good games compared to other gens I actually think its worse, i was more hyped launch alligned for PS2, PS3 AND PS4 the games were more impressive at the time and there was more of them a lot of the time.

Remember that the pandemic utterly fucked up their plans. Allow me to illustrate the sheer amount of content they had and had planned both for the PS4's swan song and the PS5's first year.

Here is what we got in 2020 for SIE games and PlayStation console exclusives:

Ghost of Tsushima
Final Fantasy VII Remake
The Last of Us Part 2
Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered
Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales
Nioh 2
The Pathless
Godfall
Demon's Souls
Dreams
Sackboy A Big Adventure
MLB The Show 20
Astro's Playroom
Paper Beast
Granblue Fantasy Versus
Bugsnax
Iron Man VR
Predator Hunting Grounds
Fall Guys
Genshin Impact
Spelunky 2

Here is what 2021 was supposed to look like if the pandemic hadn't smashed through their lineup:

Returnal
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Destruction All-Stars
Horizon Forbidden West
Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade
God of War Ragnarok
Gran Turismo 7
Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut
Death Stranding Director's Cut
Kena Bridge of Spirits
MLB The Show 21
Deathloop
Chicory A Colorful Tale
Guilty Gear Strive
Jett The Far Shore

We were now supposed be deep into their 2022 lineup, and we have no idea what that was even supposed to look like. The above gives us an idea of just how strong they were intending their lineup to be. One can presume they were intending to maintain that momentum in 2022 and beyond, but we'll never know. My personal guess is what 2022 was supposed to include TLOU Part 1, TLOU MP, Forspoken, FF16 and Spider-Man 2, along with the full PSVR2 launch lineup.

Regardless, I can understand if the lineup so far hasn't fully floated your boat, but it's important to remember that Sony also wanted the lineup to FAR larger and more hard hitting than it has been.

Thabass

Is it making money? Yes. Then he's doing it right.

That doesn't mean I have to like every decision he's making.

vivftp

Yeah its interesting, it reminds me of that scene in breaking bad where jessie says to Walt "are were in the meth business or money business?"

Well for sony it would be "are they in the console platform business or the money business"

They seem to be taking a similar approach to Microsoft where the console is only part of business.

Also at some point I wonder when making consoles is not the most profitable thing to do anymore.

If the goal is to make as much money as possible they should just go PC + Cloud.

Why would you assume that? Remember just how much money they pull in by taking a cut of everything sold on PSN. Presuming some worst case doom and gloom scenario serves no purpose.

Sony will remain in the console business as long as the console business exists.

vivftp

I suppose I’m deviating into off topic territory, but I truly hope any AAA game released in 2023 and onward are current gen only. No issue for me if indies release cross platform, they aren’t pushing graphics, etc. to the max.

The cross-gen phase was only meant to last into 2021 based on everything we've seen so far. The only reason we're still seeing the cross-gen games this year (GT7, HFW, GoW) is because they got pushed out of last year.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The main reason the PS5 is losing to a 4 TF is they could actually buy it.

I know 2 people who were PS4 players who got tired of looking for the PS4 and went with the S

While they are happy with the S they 100% would have stayed team blue if they could have found one and I imagine this played out a lot here in the US
Yea, because the only reason someone would buy and Xbox is because they can't find anything else. 🙄

That's a weak ass argument.

tmlDan

He's horrible in just about every way. What positive achievement can be attributed to his leadership?
im not sure if this is serious.

He has contributed to the significant growth of the PlayStation Studios portfolio with purchasing several studios essentially doubling their output. He has brought a consumer friendly sub service that brings great value. He has brought several games to PC reaching an audience that may have not touched it, allowing mods and graphical upgrades to beloved IP.

Yes, he has made quite a few mistakes but don't act like he hasn't done more than most CEO's have in his position at PS.

ZehDon

A lot of PlayStation 5's success stems from the momentum carried forward from the PlayStation 4. PlayStation is a global brand that people love - Sony killed it last generation. Ryan had little to do with that. He hasn't shot them in the foot like Don Mattrick did with the Xbone for Xbox, but he has rocked the boat. In his tenure, we've seen PlayStation try to re-position itself as the "premium" console, charging more for its games, services, and access to its platforms. Unfortunately, it's not really delivering all that much more than its competitors. We've also seen a new overreliance on remakes and re-releases, often with poorly justified price hikes and low-effort content. And under Ryan, PlayStation continues to treat its legacy as something to shun - backwards compatibility is an easy win Sony really couldn't care less about. None of these are going to kill the brand, but they've lost a little mindshare, and given Xbox space to grow, which it seems to be taking advantage of. I'd say he's a business man, running the company for profits. Last gen, it felt like Trenton, House, and Yoshida meant it when they said it was for the players. This time, it feels all business.

A.Romero

The only different thing (for the worse) this gen compared to previous is the release cadence, other than that I think he is doing a good job. I wish games weren't cross gen but I understand why they are.

We will probably see less than 75% of first party games compared to previous gen.

I don't understand why complain about PC ports, though. It's just more options so people can play anywhere they prefer. I have a capable PC and I'm probably upgrading once the new DDR5 platforms are out and still purchased a console and some PS5 games. I'm happy that people that for some reason are not in the PS ecosystem can play those games and the fact that publishers and devs can still receive some income from that. Seeing how the market is developing it just makes sense.

Don't think I'd be interested in an universal console but I'm more than happy to support 2 platforms: PS console and PC.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yea, because the only reason someone would buy and Xbox is because they can't find anything else. 🙄

That's a weak ass argument.
Just saying I have personally seen it twice

Sorry if you feel its a weak ass argument

Guess my 2 examples probably are the only 2 times it has happened though

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nobody knows.

The only info we all ave are those Sony bar charts months ago where they showed 2022 being cross plat and then in 2025 it's mobile and PS5 only.

Who knows what they got planned for 2023 and 2024 in terms of cross plat. They wont say.

Jaybe

Remember that the pandemic utterly fucked up their plans. Allow me to illustrate the sheer amount of content they had and had planned both for the PS4's swan song and the PS5's first year.

Ghost of Tsushima
Final Fantasy VII Remake
The Last of Us Part 2
Nioh 2
The Pathless
Godfall
Demon's Souls
Dreams
Sackboy A Big Adventure
MLB The Show 20
Astro's Playroom
Paper Beast
Granblue Fantasy Versus
Bugsnax
Iron Man VR
Predator Hunting Grounds
Fall Guys
Genshin Impact
Spelunky 2

Here is what 2021 was supposed to look like if the pandemic hadn't smashed through their lineup:

Returnal
Destruction All-Stars
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok
Gran Turismo 7
Kena Bridge of Spirits
MLB The Show 21
Deathloop
Chicory A Colorful Tale
Guilty Gear Strive
Jett The Far Shore

We were now supposed be deep into their 2022 lineup, and we have no idea what that was even supposed to look like. The above gives us an idea of just how strong they were intending their lineup to be. One can presume they were intending to maintain that momentum in 2022 and beyond, but we'll never know. My personal guess is what 2022 was supposed to include TLOU Part 1, TLOU MP, Forspoken, FF16 and Spider-Man 2, along with the full PSVR2 launch lineup.

Regardless, I can understand if the lineup so far hasn't fully floated your boat, but it's important to remember that Sony also wanted the lineup to FAR larger and more hard hitting than it has been.

They definitely wanted there to be an impressive number of quality exclusives for PS5 on the first two years, either first or third party (timed or not).

SLB1904

Banned
Nonsense
Pc is dominated by steam lol
There is absolutely zero chance they will make as much money they make on consoles.
And cloud lol don't me laugh, shit is rubbish didn't take off so far and the problem at this point isn't Internet. People have no interest in the rubbish

Sosokrates

Ghost of Tsushima
Final Fantasy VII Remake
The Last of Us Part 2
Nioh 2
The Pathless
Godfall
Demon's Souls
Dreams
Sackboy A Big Adventure
MLB The Show 20
Astro's Playroom
Paper Beast
Granblue Fantasy Versus
Bugsnax
Iron Man VR
Predator Hunting Grounds
Fall Guys
Genshin Impact
Spelunky 2

Returnal
Destruction All-Stars
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok
Gran Turismo 7
Kena Bridge of Spirits
MLB The Show 21
Deathloop
Chicory A Colorful Tale
Guilty Gear Strive
Jett The Far Shore

Yeah there is lot of games there, but compared to other gens there was no next gen killer apps.

Everything is like ps4 pro 2.

Now personally im very pleased with it, but Im into new tech.
I just think to myself, to casuals what makes the current gen more alluring then last gen? And judging by the games its less of a next gen leap then we are used to.
Rich leadbetter sold a PS5 to a contractor and you know what he wanted to play on it? Warzone....

So if the majority are buying a PS5 for cod and fortnite , why is that?
They must be really susceptible to marketing, or tech FOMO.

Sosokrates

Nonsense
Pc is dominated by steam lol
There is absolutely zero chance they will make as much money they make on consoles.
And cloud lol don't me laugh, shit is rubbish didn't take off so far and the problem at this point isn't Internet. People have no interest in the rubbish
Imagine if xbox series and PS5 launch with the same hardware but instead they had like a steambox style windows installed on them and they were essentially customised PCs, and to get xbox + playstation games you just need the app for windows (maybe Linux to).

They would automatically have a huge installbase.

One day we will look back at us buying multiple computer boxes just to play a handful of exclusives oer year and laugh. It crazy that we have to buy two 10-12tflop rdna2, 8 core zen 2, 16gb gdrr6 and nvme ssd computer, its not logical.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Yes, and I think the money would be better spent on devs like ai suggested, Playstation strength has never been MP games it be Epic single player and unique indies
Well exactly, they are trying to hit a place which hasn't been their strength, they know there's money there.

SLB1904

Banned
Imagine if xbox series and PS5 launch with the same hardware but instead they had like a steambox style windows installed on them and they were essentially customised PCs, and to get xbox + playstation games you just need the app for windows (maybe Linux to).

They would automatically have a huge installbase.
They would just be PCs. And how that would make automatically have a huge installbase? When you still need to buy said hardware? That would be essentially ps5 and xboxs and at the end of the day people would rather buy from steam its much cheaper Sony and Microsoft would end up like any other 3rd party relying on their software and lose on the 3rd party content which is their biggest share

2 years in and it's the worst PlayStation generation by far

That's factual wrong not even an opinion lmfao

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Well exactly, they are trying to hit a place which hasn't been their strength, they know there's money there.
Then it becomes 2 different questions, what do you want from playstation as a gamer or how does playstation make the most money, two different things.

vivftp

Yeah there is lot of games there, but compared to other gens there was no next gen killer apps.

Everything is like ps4 pro 2.

Now personally im very pleased with it, but Im into new tech.
I just think to myself, to casuals what makes the current gen more alluring then last gen? And judging by the games its less of a next gen leap then we are used to.
Rich leadbetter sold a PS5 to a contractor and you know what he wanted to play on it? Warzone....

So if the majority are buying a PS5 for cod and fortnite , why is that?
They must be really susceptible to marketing, or tech FOMO.

There're games there not possible on the PS4 like Returnal, Demons Souls and Ratchet and Clank. The allure of the instant loading, the DualSense controller and even the 3D audio aren't just marketing gimmicks, they're tangible selling points for people that enhance their gaming experience. Going from the PS4 where loading screens in some games could be 2 or 3 minutes to the PS5 where a loading screen is 2 seconds is mindblowing.

Some random person wanting to play Warzone isn't indicative of anything. There's all kinds of different strokes for different folks and there're a LOT of reasons for people to want to upgrade. Dismissing folks as being susceptible to marketing or tech FOMO is borderline insulting and indicates the use of flawed logic.

I mean, are you seriously going to argue that the PS4 launch was even REMOTELY close to the planned lineup I listed above? The PS4 WISHES it could've had a first year like that.

Sosokrates

They would just be PCs. And how that would make automatically have a huge installbase? When you still need to buy said hardware? That would be essentially ps5 and xboxs and at the end of the day people would rather buy from steam its much cheaper Sony and Microsoft would end up like any other 3rd party relying on their software and lose on the 3rd party content which is their biggest share

That's factual wrong not even an opinion lmfao
If they made the min requiements series S level there would be a pretty big installbase. Plus People would not need to buy two systems, so say of my idea did happen and at the current point in time there was 150million current gen compatible PCs that would be an installbase of 150million instead of 21 million for ps5 now and like 15 mill for xbox.

vivftp

If they made the min requiements series S level there would be a pretty big installbase. Plus People would not need to buy two systems, so say of my idea did happen and at the current point in time there was 150million current gen compatible PCs that would be an installbase of 150million instead of 21 million for ps5 now and like 15 mill for xbox.

Dude, why does it feel like you're arguing in bad faith? You're fantasizing about made up scenarios, projecting your made up figures onto it, and arguing that would be better than what's occurred in reality. It's ludicrous and doesn't work in this reality for a thousand different reasons.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just about everyone has a PC already. So for any games going Steam, Epic or GOG there's a portion of gamers ready to go playing good games unless they got an ancient system. Dont get me wrong, I'm one of them with a weak ass laptop not build for modern games. So I'm out.

Whereas console gamers have to buy discrete hardware to play new gen games, PC gamers may or may not need to upgrade their PC. All comes down to if they want more powerful hardware to play the game better, but their 1060 gpu (which Steam says is the avg spec) can still run it and be good enough.

That's probably why Sonys and MS heavy hitters dont come out for a few years. The install base isnt big enough at early stages to make it worth launching. On PC, the user base is always stable enough in numbers to launch anything. And if needed, they can dial back the settings to run it.

SSfox

The main reason the PS5 is losing to a 4 TF is they could actually buy it.

I know 2 people who were PS4 players who got tired of looking for the PS4 and went with the S

While they are happy with the S they 100% would have stayed team blue if they could have found one and I imagine this played out a lot here in the US

I can confirm this. Even one of them told me that I also should get a Xbox Series S lmao

Kacho

Gold Member
PlayStation is still coasting on projects greenlit by Shawn Layden and the goodwill he fostered during his time there, so the jury is still out on what Jim Ryan ultimately delivers. Judging Jim soley on his PR and business moves after Layden, that stuff gives me very little confidence in the future of PlayStation. Feels like the company is slowly losing its soul and shifting to a more generic GaaS focused business.

Sosokrates

There're games there not possible on the PS4 like Returnal, Demons Souls and Ratchet and Clank.
Yeah I appreciate them, and its seems so do you, but I dont think the average gamer really does, those games offer less of a visual leap then prior gens.
The allure of the instant loading, the DualSense controller and even the 3D audio
Again, these things are very nice, but they arent as revolutionary as prior gens have been, playing mario 64 for the first time, or soul caliber on dreamcast or gt3 and gta3 on ps2.
PS4 launch was even REMOTELY close to the planned lineup
PS4 had killzone Shadow fall which was a way bigger visual jump compared to PS3, then any of the PS5 games compared to PS4. Also the PS4 had major hype with footage from the order and uncharted 4 a couple of years after launch.

Im not saying this gen is bad, I nust think there is less hype then last gen and prior gens which is why I would not understand greater demand for the PS5 then the PS4.

Hoddi

I think he's been doing a fine job overall. I think uppity gamers are a bigger problem than he is because they always seem to be mad about something anyway.

Hugare

lol
do you think any of this is comparable to always online
24h check in
tv tv tv
kinect forced in to every console
forcing games to use the Kinect?

bro you need to get some perspective.
Yes, I think it's comparable, "bro"

But unlike MS during Mattrick's era, Sony has way more first party studios/franchises and are surfing on PS4 success. They are on a totally different position.

Jim Ryan's actions are already bothering PS fans, but it will take some time (years, even) to really know how it will all affect the PS brand on the long run

Jinzo Prime

I converted to PC after hating the input lag of the PS4 Pro, and the stick drift of the Dualshouk 4. It's great to be able to play Sony's AAA games on my preferred platform, so Jim gets an A from me! 😁

Sosokrates

Dude, why does it feel like you're arguing in bad faith? You're fantasizing about made up scenarios, projecting your made up figures onto it, and arguing that would be better than what's occurred in reality. It's ludicrous and doesn't work in this reality for a thousand different reasons.

Then lets use your figures

I mean so far theres been about 35 million current gen consoles.

In my scenario if sony and Microsoft launched there custom PCs they would sell how many do you think? It cant be far off what the current gen installbase is.

Now how many seriesS level PCs are there right now? Its got to be pretty high.

vivftp

Yeah I appreciate them, and its seems so do you, but I dont think the average gamer really does, those games offer less of a visual leap then prior gens.

Again, these things are very nice, but they arent as revolutionary as prior gens have been, playing mario 64 for the first time, or soul caliber on dreamcast or gt3 and gta3 on ps2.

PS4 had killzone Shadow fall which was a way bigger visual jump compared to PS3, then any of the PS5 games compared to PS4. Also the PS4 had major hype with footage from the order and uncharted 4 a couple of years after launch.

Im not saying this gen is bad, I nust think there is less hype then last gen and prior gens which is why I would not understand greater demand for the PS5 then the PS4.

I think we differ in our opinion here. Less than 2 years into this gen and I find myself more wow'd with it than I was with the PS4 at the same point in time. I'm playing through TLOU Part 1 right now and it's hands down the most visually impressive video game I've ever seen or experienced.

Horizon Forbidden West was a feast for the eyes. Spider-Man remastered + Spider-Man Miles Morales took the already impressive city and dialed it up to 11. Ratchet & Clank really felt like playing a CGI movie. Demon's Souls art style and consistency in the game world had me constantly stopping to take a look around. And of course Returnal with its rock solid 60 FPS, gameplay that was second to none and the visual feast of dozens of neon blobs flying every which way is buned into my memory.

Sony prepared for this gen and in spite of the pandemic fucking up their plans, have still managed to do a really good job. No other publisher has put out more current gen titles than SIE.

Like I said though, I think we just differ here. Perhaps after Sony has their next showcase that will alter your perception of things.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
lol
do you think any of this is comparable to always online
24h check in
tv tv tv
kinect forced in to every console
forcing games to use the Kinect?
Big difference is some of those things you listed didn't even happen or were simply marketing presentations before launch. And Kinect was dropped a year or so later.

What Hugare wrote about PS5 all happened, and still happening 2 years after PS5 launch. And unless Jim Ryan does a 180 tomorrow will continue on.

And making fun of XBox tv tv tv is the last thing you should be criticizing about when Sony made and promoted PS Vue cable streaming TV packages for $50/mth on PS4 dashboards and have been part of about 10 video game TV series and movies. Also, during one of those old E3's Shawn Layton promoting Powers TV show which you could stream on PS4.

Sony doing PS Vue is as hardcore you can get to TV. It's no different than your local cable company selling you monthly subs.

Last edited:

Amiga

Business wise Jim has been great for Playstation. The comments he gets flake for are true and honest and assume intelligence on the reader. The opposite of Phil Spencer who plays the crowed(IMOO).

Some loud die-hards are upset he is ruining the fanboy war. focusing on this aspect and forgetting the business side is what killed the SEGA console business.

vivftp

Then lets use your figures

I mean so far theres been about 35 million current gen consoles.

In my scenario if sony and Microsoft launched there custom PCs they would sell how many do you think? It cant be far off what the current gen installbase is.

Now how many seriesS level PCs are there right now? Its got to be pretty high.

The problem is that there're dozens, if not hundreds of "what if's" that have to happen to even get to that stage where this scenario can play out. It's an incredibly complex scenario where so much has to change an be different, that none of us could ever predict how it would play out. It's not a simple change you're proposing, and to be honest that's not a rabbit hole I wanna go down.

Sosokrates

I think we differ in our opinion here. Less than 2 years into this gen and I find myself more wow'd with it than I was with the PS4 at the same point in time. I'm playing through TLOU Part 1 right now and it's hands down the most visually impressive video game I've ever seen or experienced.

Horizon Forbidden West was a feast for the eyes. Spider-Man remastered + Spider-Man Miles Morales took the already impressive city and dialed it up to 11. Ratchet & Clank really felt like playing a CGI movie. Demon's Souls art style and consistency in the game world had me constantly stopping to take a look around. And of course Returnal with its rock solid 60 FPS, gameplay that was second to none and the visual feast of dozens of neon blobs flying every which way is buned into my memory.

Sony prepared for this gen and in spite of the pandemic fucking up their plans, have still managed to do a really good job. No other publisher has put out more current gen titles than SIE.

Like I said though, I think we just differ here. Perhaps after Sony has their next showcase that will alter your perception of things.
Yes tloup1, rift apart look fantastic im not denying that.

But can you remember what PS3 games looked like?
Anti aliasing was crap, pixel crawl everywhere and shaders were extremely primitive, materials would not look real at all they would just look like unlit textures a lot of the time.
Going to PS4 was huge, material based shaders, so wood would look like wood, metel would reflect properly, fabric, skin you name it, was drastically imporved, along would a significant upgrades in geometry, particles and resolution.

This gen so far pumped up the iq and framerate, has improved particle effects, added RT reflections and geometry, but it has not been as tranformative as the improvements last gen brought. So far this gen is like PC games eith extra bells and whistles like PhysX and RT, not completely transformative.

I mean, you have said that you find rift part to look like a CGI movie and that your are impressed by returnal and demon souls, and I agree with you they do look stunning. But when we analyse the technologies implemented in gen 8 vs gen9 so far its clear that gen9 is more additional then gen 8, the abundance of material based shaders and significant geometry increase in gen 8 was huge, bigger then geometry improvement we have seen from gen9.

Take returnal and killzone Shadowfall for example. Returnal added impressive particle effects and smoke effects, but the environment, chracter models, materials and general lighting is pretty much the same as what we have seen in gen 8, in killzone Shadowfall we saw improvements in all areas,character models, lighting, materials, geometry, particles, reflections, smoke etc etc

If this does not change your mind then nothing will.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

The problem is that there're dozens, if not hundreds of "what if's" that have to happen to even get to that stage where this scenario can play out. It's an incredibly complex scenario where so much has to change an be different, that none of us could ever predict how it would play out. It's not a simple change you're proposing, and to be honest that's not a rabbit hole I wanna go down.

I agree, but it will happen one day. Its the next logical step.

ian mckellen boss GIF

vivftp

Yes tloup1, rift apart look fantastic im not denying that.

But can you remember what PS3 games looked like?
Anti aliasing was crap, pixel crawl everywhere and shaders were extremely primitive materials would not look real at all they would just look like unlit textures a lot of the time.
Going to PS4 was huge, material based shaders, so wood would look like wood, metel would reflect probably, fabric, skin you name it was drastically imporved, along would a significant upgrade in geometry, particles and resolution.

This gen pumped up the iq and framerate, has improved particle effects, added RT reflections and geometry, but it has not been as tranformative as the improvements last gen brought. So far this gen like PC games eith extra bells and whistles like PhysX and RT, not completely transformative.

I mean you have said that you find rift part is like a CGI movie and that your are impressed by returnal and demon souls, and I agree with you they do look stunning. But when we analyse the technologies implemented in gen 8 vs gen9 so far its clear that gen9 is more additional then gen 8, the abundance of material based shaders and significant geometry increase in gen 8 was huge, bigger then geometry improvement we have seen from gen9.

Take returnal and killzone Shadowfall for example. Returnal aded impressive particle effects and smoke effects, but the environment and chracter models, materials and general lighting is pretty much the same as what we have seen in gen 8, in killzone Shadowfall we saw improvements in all areas,character models, lighting, materials, geometry, particles, reflections, smoke etc etc

If this does not change your mind then nothing will.

Returnal was Housemarque's first ever AAA game, so trying to compare that to Guerrilla who had been making big budget games for a long while seems unfair. Better to compare it against Guerrilla with Horizon FW where you can see an absolutely MASSIVE leap in pretty much everything.

You seem to be on about diminishing returns of this gen versus last and maybe there are pros and cons for each side of the argument, and it will boil down to personal taste and opinion.

My mind can't and won't be changed by how wow'd I am by this gen and the overall leap over the PS4. It's the complete package that makes the leap to the PS5 worthwhile, not any one factor.

Unknown?

PlayStation is still coasting on projects greenlit by Shawn Layden and the goodwill he fostered during his time there, so the jury is still out on what Jim Ryan ultimately delivers. Judging Jim soley on his PR and business moves after Layden, that stuff gives me very little confidence in the future of PlayStation. Feels like the company is slowly losing its soul and shifting to a more generic GaaS focused business.
Layden and House couldn't even expand their studios even with the momentum they created.

Top Bottom