• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All jokes aside, how well do you think Jim Ryan is running PlayStation?

How well has Jim Ryan been running PlayStation?

• He has been running it well

Votes: 191 42.6%
  • He has been running it poorly

Votes: 257 57.4%

• Total voters

T4keD0wN

Like someone who really likes money and knows his customers are blindly loyal. Personally i think he can get away with squeezing them even more than he does for now (although he has to do it over a slow period of time and not at once in order to not upset them too much because they have a short memory), but he wont be able to keep doing so indefinetly. If i were him i would greatly increase prices maybe even double them right now in order to maximize short term gain even if it would sacrifice a little bit of long term gain since his competition has a strong long term goal, but a weak short one. I like the decisions he made in last 2 years. He comes across as a smart and ruthless dude, i bet investors love him.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Probably very profitable for PS. The games are good, if a little safe, which runs the risk of stagnation. Feel nickle and dimed hard, which isn’t a good look for them.

radewagon

That's like asking how well a car's engine works by observing how it maintains speed while going downhill. Playstation has been on an upswing for quite a while. I doubt there is much that we can really attribute to his performance. There is nothing profoundly terrible or great about what he's done. He's basically just keeping things mostly stable and not rocking the boat in any significant way.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
He's making it money, but he is an unlikeable sack of shit.

The one he does well is making sure Sony always has multiple exclusives ready to go and has a steady stream of first party development. Something that MS has been complete and utter dogshit and they really need to fire Matt Booty.

Unless that goes to shit, I can't say the guy is bad at his job.

He is a bean counter.

SLB1904

Banned
Focusing on sequels and remakes is far from killing it. It's Playing it safe and will catch up to him.
i swear you live in fantasy land. PlayStation has released loads of successful new ips

the last of us
horizon
ghost of tsushima
spiderman (not exactly new ip but a new entry in the franchise)
god knows what else

so what do you think they would do?
why i dont see you criticizing Microsoft?
with, halo, gears, forzas(2 games that already crossed the 5th sequel) state of decay and god knows what else.

jim ryan deserve to be criticized by the lack of PR and promises
but games aint it chief

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Focusing on sequels and remakes is far from killing it. It's Playing it safe and will catch up to him.
I agree actually. There does appear to be a distinct lack of excitement across all platforms but since we are talking about PlayStation I do agree. PSVR2 may spark some reinvigoration if planned right. It feels like we are a good couple of years away from an influx of titles.

MikeM

Earnings wise he is doing well.

From a consumer perspective- meh. I hate that it took GP to make Playstation take online subs seriously. Still too early to determine how it will do and the quality of the service. Premium tier is a big miss. Dualsense is a big win tho and the quality of first party IP remains industry leading.

i swear you live in fantasy land. PlayStation has released loads of successful new ips

the last of us
horizon
ghost of tsushima
spiderman (not exactly new ip but a new entry in the franchise)
god knows what else

so what do you think they would do?
why i dont see you criticizing Microsoft?
with, halo, gears, forzas(2 games that already crossed the 5th sequel) state of decay and god knows what else.

jim ryan deserve to be criticized by the lack of PR and promises
but games aint it chief
Now now kiddos, calm down baby children. Let''s not turn this into MS vs Sony thread.

Back to your rooms now or no Christmas gifts for you this season.

Yoboman

I think he has done well and is dealing with a far bigger changes in the gaming landscape and economic pressures than his predecessors

As a CEO I'd summarise his achievements as

A successful launch of PS5 with record levels of demand

Actually got tight ass Sony to open up their wallets and has overseen the largest expansion of Sony first party through acquisition and studio growth

Restructuring of business components that eliminate wasteage - eg big marketing events, the failing Sony Japan studios

Relaunch of subscription service

Has put the right people in place to secure publisher deals

I think the promotion of Hermen Hulst was a smart decision

The refocus on creating some high investment GAAS products may turn out to be a master stroke if they are 1) successful and 2) Sony loses access to COD

PC launches creating additional revenue streams

If I was his boss at Sony I'd give him a pass

As a gamer not all those actions appeal to me. Particularly the PC launches may have longer term impacts on demand for consoles. Or it may not, thats still to be seen. I think the reduction in marketing reduces engagement with the brand and I think is leaving an overall more negative sentiment towards the brand even though they keep ticking along having the same level of successful execution

I think it's too early to tell. He runs it like an accountant and bean counter. But hopefully he has enough good people in charge to ensure the Game Development is still solid, because that's the only thing that matters.

I think their Live Service initiatives are a bit much....10 games in this area is a bit too widespread. I'd rather they focus on 4-5 but absolutely deliver that AAAA experience in Live Service.

But I guess we will see what happens there. I do worry that their bread and butter single player stuff is still relegated to 1-2 big releases per year, when it really should be closer to 4.

SLB1904

Banned
I think it's too early to tell. He runs it like an accountant and bean counter. But hopefully he has enough good people in charge to ensure the Game Development is still solid, because that's the only thing that matters.

I think their Live Service initiatives are a bit much....10 games in this area is a bit too widespread. I'd rather they focus on 4-5 but absolutely deliver that AAAA experience in Live Service.

But I guess we will see what happens there. I do worry that their bread and butter single player stuff is still relegated to 1-2 big releases per year, when it really should be closer to 4.
i really dont care about the live service crap. the only multiplayer game im looking forward to is factions because i was a huge fan of the original, and even though I'm a bit skeptical i think they are trying to do too much and might fuck it up

I could go on and on about the reasons why
i doubt it

Last edited:

Yoboman

i really dont care about the live service crap. the only multiplayer game im looking forward to is factions because i was a huge fan of the original, and even though I'm a bit skeptical i think they are trying to do too much and might fuck it up
They really need to do it though

Relying on third parties to service that part of the market is a double edged sword as shown by MS willing to buy them up

Gambit2483

PR is everything in media.
Sony PR lately has been shit.
Therefore Jim Ryan has been shit.

My logic is sound.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
They really need to do it though

Relying on third parties to service that part of the market is a double edged sword as shown by MS willing to buy them up
im not againt it tho, its just not for me. i would be pissed if their studios known for single-player release start doing live service shit and put the single player stuff aside.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Well enough, they are doing things they need to do, great hardware and games, they seem to be continuing single player games.

I think there mistakes might be spending money on live service games and possibly PSVR2.
There live service games vould be hit or miss, its not an easy genre to break into to, I think sony should do what they do best, which is single player stuff.
With PSVR2 they are not investing as highly as PS5 TV games by the looks of things. Not fully commiting to a platform has never worked well in the videogame business.
The ps5 price increase and $70 games is not a good look, but I dont think it will harm them, however a few more negetive things like this will definitely have an effect.

Jimbo will have a good reign, but the best playstation generation yet? Maybe if we count PC sales, but not in terms of console installbase.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
In fact, he is the Hannibal Lecter of video games.

He is a criminal who hides his evil plans, giving justifications, but smart in scamming people.

Their resemblance is no coincidence.

hannibal-lecter-talking.gif

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

And be very careful, because it is the next Grinch that will ruin the Christmas that is coming.

conclusion and in Spanish

Lo maneja de la tiznada

Last edited:

hinch7

At face value he appears a cold and calculating business man and very profit driven.. a lot more than previous CEO's of SIE. For me, the moves he and the board are sadly pushing the brand more into the premium tier; and out of reach for some consumers. I personally don't like the ship is going with more emphasis on live services, GaaS and safe, recycled IP's with boring remakes/sequels. On top of rising prices. But its a wait and see. We still have a lot of good games to look forward to from them.

Saying that, he is making great moves by extending the brand to PC space. Like, if you told me that PS exclusives would be coming to PC in droves several years ago, I wouldn't believe you.. but here he are with Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, Spiderman, Horizon etc all on PC.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
With PSVR2 they are not investing as highly as PS5 TV games by the looks of things.
what? do you even know how many psvr2 games are already announced? and we haven't even had a proper reveal for the thing.
VR is great. go play Alyx tahn come back. hell play the walking dead while you are at it

Bragr

Banned
It depends on what he got in the works against Game Pass. At the time the Activision deal goes through about a year from now, he better have a great cloud system and a PC ecosystem going, or else he's gonna be the guy who never pulled the trigger and ruined Sony's dominance.

He's shit, but that doesn't even matter at this point. The world is on the fast track to hell and there's no stopping this train.

The first party releases have been solid, at the very least they have a steady flow of games despite Covid. I’d rather have that than what Xbox has been offering or lack of and I’m more of a Xbox guy.

Hugare

i doubt it
* $50 price increase for consoles and $10 for games (in Europe, their main market)
* Butchering Sony Japan
* PC ports can have serious future repercussions for the brand, and for what? ~ 1M sales with each port? It was unnecessary
* Dude was vocal against retrocompatibility, so fuck him

If even after these topics you think that I'm part of some "vocal minority", look around

Trogdor1123

What do we mean? Just how much money or how much more/less than what then? I’m just unsure what we are measuring it against is all.

OZ9000

Banned
I'm just happy he's releasing PS exclusives on the PC.

I'm playing Spider-Man right now and it's fucking incredible. What an awesome game. Insomniac are SUPERB devs.

SLB1904

Banned
* $50 price increase for consoles and $10 for games (in Europe, their main market)
* Butchering Sony Japan
* PC ports can have serious future repercussions for the brand, and for what? ~ 1M sales with each port? It was unnecessary
* Dude was vocal against retrocompatibility, so fuck him

If even after these topics you think that I'm part of some "vocal minority", look around
lol
do you think any of this is comparable to always online
24h check in
tv tv tv
kinect forced in to every console
forcing games to use the Kinect?

bro you need to get some perspective.

edit: man PlayStation fans really complaint with full belly lol

nsomniac are SUPERB devs.
and he just got them for 300 quid
while their favorite CEOs close evolution and a bunch of other studios

I mean....we playstation have games to play so...
serioursly. thats the only thing gamers should care about, but nah lets put these salesman on a pedestal, they are our friends, they would definitely have a beer with and ask how my life is going. they totally didnt go to school to sell shit with a smile on their faces. fuck me

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
Crash? Not much Sony can do about that since they don't own the IP.

Absolutely true.

But how long PRIOR to Activision going to MS did fans scream for a renewal, or an agreement to be made for PS and Crash.

Crickets from Ryan and Sony.

It wasn’t just fans and gamers, plenty of internal players at PlayStation made it clear they wanted Crash to come back. Crickets. Absolute crickets.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Let me put it this way, if ghostbusters 2016 and the last jedi had a baby, the movie would be called "JR, a crossgen biopic".

SSfox

An absolute disaster

- Price increase of everything (games and console)
- Following MS footsteps (PC, Mobile, and cie)
- Porting everything to PC, by the end of gen PS5 won't have any exclusive and so then PS6 won't have any momentum and hype nobody will care, thanks who? Thanks to Jimbo and Hermen as usual.
- While neglecting the PS5, with still NO full BC
- Buying studios nobody cares about
- Killing off the most innovative dev in the past years aka Japan studio

And i'm probably forgetting some other stuffs.

The only good thing he's done is locking FF exclusive, at least PS5 still has some Japanese aura, and GT7 is awesome, and GOWR is gonna be epic (marketing for this game is hella weird tho). But it's a disaster so far and it's just keep getting worse with every decision he make, huge lack of Japanese games, while also giving away all their exclusives to PC.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Jimbo seems to be doing a lot, but nothing.
I see a lot of money being spent and resources but nothing that gets to the PS5 end users.
We hear him say he is expanding the Playstation eco system but PS5 is remaining dormant while he does this.
There no balance to it, either
We've had more announcements that don't benefit the PS5 in the last 2 years then ones that do.
And the end user is like
Animated GIF

In fact I can't recall anything they've announced other then PS Plus Premium which is a Disaster so far (note Premium not Extra)
that wasn't already set in motion 3 years ago

I think it's time for a new CEO... actually it is time 🤔

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Jimbo seems to be doing a lot, but nothing.
I see a lot of money being spent and resources but nothing that gets to the PS5 end users.
We hear him say he is expanding the Playstation eco system but PS5 is remaining dormant while he does this.
There no balance to it, either
We've had more announcements that don't benefit the PS5 in the last 2 years, then ones that do.
And the end user is like
Animated GIF

In fact I can't recall anything they've announced other then PS Plus Premium which is a Disaster so far (note Premium not Extra)
that wasn't already set in motion 3 years ago 🤔
I dont understand the bungie acquisition.
I feel for what Playstation gamers want and expect they could of gotten a lot more for $3 billion.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Players don't like him but shareholders do

Record profits

Plus expanding to mobile, pc, new ps plus tiers, and getting new Acquisitions, as well as free to play and gaas model soon

We don't like $70 games and a ps5 increase, but if sales don't slow down, it's just more profit and less loss for them. If it would hurt their bottom line, they would take a look at it

But I think last of us part 1 shows they can get away with almost anything. Players simply pay up. Nothing will change until that does

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I feel for what Playstation gamers want and expect they could of gotten a lot more for $3 billion.
Neither do I, outside of Bluepoint and Insomniac which was gonna happen regardless, the others I'm not too sure about.

SLB1904

Banned
bungie is meh as fuck, cant even get to the game with a bunch of seasons already, might as well release a new ip. but nah they are making loads of mo.... oh! nevermind

Sosokrates

Players don't like him but shareholders do

Record profits

Plus expanding to mobile, pc, new ps plus tiers, and getting new Acquisitions

We don't like $70 games and a ps5 increase, but if sales slow down, it's just more profit and less loss for them. If it would hurt their bottom line, they would take a look at it

But I think last of us part 1 shows they can get away with almost anything. Players simply pay up. Nothing will change until that does
Well this is a gaming forum, not a shareholders forum, so who cares what shareholders think.

Nearly every time there some negitive thing being done from the gamers perspective somone is always like "but as a business they having record profits!, Shareholders are happy!"

So weird.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Neither do I, outside of Bluepoint and Insomniac which was gonna happen regardless, the others I'm not too sure about.
They bought the talent

They are starting to get into a online, free to play, gaas model. They know bungie has the expertise

Sosokrates

bungie is meh as fuck, cant even get to the game with a bunch of seasons already, might as well release a new ip. but nah they are making loads of mo.... oh! nevermind
They probably could of got IO Interactive, playdead and remedy for that money.

Top Bottom