• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All jokes aside, how well do you think Jim Ryan is running PlayStation?

How well has Jim Ryan been running PlayStation?

• He has been running it well

Votes: 191 42.6%
  • He has been running it poorly

Votes: 257 57.4%

• Total voters

Ev1L AuRoN

I don't know how much of what PS5 is, was caused by him, overall I'm pretty happy with Sony, great system, great games... PC support, but I still need a PC adapter that allows the Dualsense advanced features to work wireless.
Or better yet, drivers that expose the full feature set of the controller, having to plug the dualsense in order to have haptics feedback and adaptive triggers is BS.

yurinka

why 2 years in? The ps3 didn’t have ps2s install base either
Right now the big games take longer to be developed.

Specially the first ones who will take advantage of the next gen potential because means the bigge paradigm shift for game development since the jump from 2D to 3D, because they have to rebuild their engines, workflow and tools way more than in previous generation shifts.

On top of that, the rise of games as services, F2P, multiplayer and their game subscription or super cheap games made players to stay longer in PS4 specially because the next gen console is crossgen.

We also have to consider that in any generation after a couple of years a huge percentage of players still didn't migrate, and on top of that there was the chips shortage preventing new consoles being sold, so making that migration even slower. Plus also there's the past/current/future global economic crysis which makes harder for many people migrate.

Not long ago PS5 had slightly above a dozen million consoles sold, while PS4 had over 80 or 90 million monthly active consoles (not sold, active that month).

So if they spend several hundreds of millions of dollars making a game they obviously want to reach a big enough userbase to make it profitable, specially if they still didn't have the new engines and tools needed to take advantage of the next gen when like they started to make the currently released AAA games 4 or 5 (or more) years ago. Even if there are next gen only games they basically use previous gen tech with a bit of extra shiny stuff, these game could easily be crossgen specially when both generations share very similar hardware, engines and tools.

Right now the big games take longer to be developed.

Specially the first ones who will take advantage of the next gen potential because means the bigge paradigm shift for game development since the jump from 2D to 3D, because they have to rebuild their engines, workflow and tools way more than in previous generation shifts.

On top of that, the rise of games as services, F2P, multiplayer and their game subscription or super cheap games made players to stay longer in PS4 specially because the next gen console is crossgen.

We also have to consider that in any generation after a couple of years a huge percentage of players still didn't migrate, and on top of that there was the chips shortage preventing new consoles being sold, so making that migration even slower. Plus also there's the past/current/future global economic crysis which makes harder for many people migrate.

Not long ago PS5 had slightly above a dozen million consoles sold, while PS4 had over 80 or 90 million monthly active consoles (not sold, active that month).

So if they spend several hundreds of millions of dollars making a game they obviously want to reach a big enough userbase to make it profitable, specially if they still didn't have the new engines and tools needed to take advantage of the next gen when like they started to make the currently released AAA games 4 or 5 (or more) years ago. Even if there are next gen only games they basically use previous gen tech with a bit of extra shiny stuff, these game could easily be crossgen specially when both generations share very similar hardware, engines and tools.
I get the logistics and that it’s difficult - but I just expected Sony to follow the pattern they have previously - For the price point, I thought there’d be a larger difference between the two consoles or I wouldn’t have adopted as early as I did. I’m certain (but maybe I’m wrong) there must of been a way we could have had at least a few truly next gen games by now built with next gen tools if the effort was to make that a priority. Maybe it wouldn’t be monetarily as wise, but I feel like Sony in the past didn’t put that above delivering what they needed to as much

Making them more money then they ever have so in that aspect doing really well but the trust of their fans is starting to be diminished because of his choices.

Interesting interview with Shuhei Yoshida about indies, Playstation and how he got this job he's been doing.

Even more interesting? In 2019, when Jim started as CEO he thought Sony was focusing too much on AAA titles and he was the one responsible for Playstation to go back to actually care about indies again and talked Shuhei into doing this and how Playstation has made it easier for indie developers to work with Playstation.

So much for Jim not giving a damn about indies.

Top Bottom