• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-new PlayStation Plus game lineup: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Demon’s Souls, Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut, NBA 2K22, and more join the service

DJ12

To people who are assuming these are all the games, remember that Jim Ryan said that over 200 studios and developers have put their content on PS+. This list hardly even makes half of that list.

Be patient, and more games will be revealed. Notice how there are no games from Square Enix or EA or Devolver Digital. Many publishers would be hesitant in revealing their games at this stage because that would affect their game sales for the next 30 days.

We'll see a bunch of games the day the service launches.
Not to mention "some" is stated before each list of classics

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
To people who are assuming these are all the games, remember that Jim Ryan said that over 200 studios and developers have put their content on PS+. This list hardly even makes half of that list.

Be patient, and more games will be revealed. Notice how there are no games from Square Enix or EA or Devolver Digital. Many publishers would be hesitant in revealing their games at this stage because that would affect their game sales for the next 30 days.

Service launches in 8 days, so I'm guessing we'll know what all is included by then at least

T-Cake

Many publishers would be hesitant in revealing their games at this stage because that would affect their game sales for the next 30 days.

That's an excellent point, never even entered my mind. Like no-one is going to buy AC Valhall now.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What if....and this is a big if...those 2021 dates are games that will be available?

I mean, they mention over 700 games and show us not even 300 of them.
It's a possibility, I mean not all of them have new date's.
Like all the Tomb Raider games don't
But Resident Evil does.
Jack and Daxter 12&3 does and so does Motor Storm Apocalypse and Infamous 2 & Silent Hill

ReBurn

Gold Member
That lineup is great but is anyone else worried about the $300M pledged over 4 years in the earnings call? Sounds to me like Sony are gonna coast on subs like MS.
A $300 million investment is like the cost to produce two of their games. Not worried at all.

[Sigma]

I wonder why no Nex Machina. I mean they put Housemarque's other recent games on there. Nex is their best outside of Returnal. Fans of Returnal's gameplay would probably be interested in checking that out if they haven't. Anyways, it's a good list.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's an excellent point, never even entered my mind. Like no-one is going to buy AC Valhall now.
It's going to be two years old and $20 with all DLC by the holiday. They're moving into the milk it for everything left in it phase anyway.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Valhalla is the best game from the “pandemic era” it’s raiding is an all time achievement.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Not because you would have gotten it with PS+, but because you have to play Assassin's Creed Valhalla.
Got nothing else to play on weekends and saw it on sale. Decided to grab it since my last Assassin's creed is Black Flag.
It's ok to play Assassin's Creed once in 5 years lol.

Three

A $300 million investment is like the cost to produce two of their games. Not worried at all.
Exactly, that's what I'm worried about. They pledged that for 4yrs on first party game investment. Seemed kind of low to me.

Last edited:
Great to see PS fans so excited for a subscription service :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The list has me on the fence. I'll wait for the full details. I'll probably subscribe because I can afford it, but might wait until they put new stuff on there. I'm not paying for this and paying full price for new stuff too - I'm not stupid. Their 3rd party deals (at least the announced ones) aren't good enough yet, and I own all the first party that I'm interested in. I'm hopeful/expectant that with both companies battling it out more seriously, a lot of major third party releases will be on one service or the other at launch or very soon after going forward, which is great for gamers.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nz4BCkK.jpg

Probably nothing.
I just looking at what PSone games I had noticed those dates are wrong
Sure looks like licensing renewals. All the same date too.

GHG

Gold Member
Yep. I'm looking forward to being able to subscribe for a month or two and being able to play the next AC, WD, FC, or whatever game comes out.

Yep that's exactly how I've always used Ubisoft+. Usually after 10-20 hours I've had my fill with their games so it's a perfect way to try their games out when I'm curious about them. Their stuff just isn't worth buying anymore IMO.

tommib

Am I alone in subscribing to services every once in a while and always cancelling after getting them so that they don’t extend? I watch a couple of things for a month and that’s it. I normally only subscribe to ps+ if I’m playing something online but when I’m done it’s off to cancel again.

People just leave these things at auto-renewal into eternity?

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Yo, so I'm going to have access to Demon Souls just off my Ps+!? I've been thinging about giving it a try before Elden Ring.

yurinka

I wonder why no Nex Machina. I mean they put Housemarque's other recent games on there. Nex is their best outside of Returnal. Fans of Returnal's gameplay would probably be interested in checking that out if they haven't. Anyways, it's a good list.
That's it ?

I thought this was gonna be a universal thing.
No. Sony said the list are only SOME OF the games available there day one. Which means more games will be there. This applies to PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, PSP games and trials.

Yo, so I'm going to have access to Demon Souls just off my Ps+!?
If it's PS+ Extra, Premium or Deluxe yes.

If you only have PS+Essential (the current PS+) it won't be included, so you'd have to upgrade to a higher tier to have access to these hundreds of games. They'll include options to upgrade your remaining months to a higher tier paying the difference.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yep that's exactly how I've always used Ubisoft+. Usually after 10-20 hours I've had my fill with their games so it's a perfect way to try their games out when I'm curious about them. Their stuff just isn't worth buying anymore IMO.

Same here. Played both Watch Dogs Legion (thank God I didn't pay for that trash) and AC Valhalla on Ubisoft+.

Reactions: GHG
It's a possibility, I mean not all of them have new date's.
Like all the Tomb Raider games don't
But Resident Evil does.
Jack and Daxter 12&3 does and so does Motor Storm Apocalypse and Infamous 2 & Silent Hill
Yeah i can't believe we wouldn't get a single Tomb Raider game tbh. Their lists are odd. Ridge Racers 2 is already confirmed, it's already on their database, we even have a highly detailed HQ cover:

IgLulyUkINO73DGAu8lVMpqy.png

Yet, it wasn't mentioned somehow.

this seems lame and convoluted for no reason. Its just PS Now again. Which ppl didn't like in the first place.

I feel like this is just a rebranding, because PS Now was dead in the water. So they changed the name

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Exactly, that's what I'm worried about. They pledged that for 4yrs on first party game investment. Seemed kind of low to me.
That's just the additional amount. Last year they allotted an additional $180 million. This year they allotted an additional $300 million. Just for more and better games on top of the usual game dev expenditures and for expansion of their in-house teams.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Digital PS1 and PSP games bought in a Vita (or in PS1 or PS3) will be downloadable and playable at no extra cost on PS4 and PS5. Without needing to buy them again or having a sub.

I was referring to the Vita games. The service has games from every PS system except for the Vita.

It's probably the same problem the Vita TV had where games that used the back touchpad wouldn't work, but they could easily make them playable with the touchpad on the DualSense.

GHG

Gold Member
Why do you people fall for the Ubisoft open world trap?

Honestly sometimes you just want a good looking mindless open world game. I thought it was one of the best looking games of 2020 but that can only carry it so far when the basic mechanics and world design are so samey.

I loved Origins because it felt so fresh at the time (and the setting was 10/10 for me) but the formula really hasn't changed since then so it didn't stick, especially after putting so much time in to Origins.

Also some of the reviewers *cough*shills*cough* said it was different from the previous entries.

Best deal in gaming.

Will Smith Yes GIF by Bad Boys For Life

Last edited:

Fbh

Don't really care about the retro stuff but the list has definitely sold me on the middle tier when I get a Ps5 (hopefully this year?)
Returnal + Miles Morales + Demon Souls + Tsushima are all games I'd have picked up anyway so them being a part of the service more than makes up for the extra $40/year compared to regular Ps+.

I hope Sony continues with this focus of bringing first party stuff to the service after a year or two.

So, these games are only available to PS+ extra and Premium?

Or are there some games available to standard PS+ as well?

The Ps4/5 games are on the mid and upper tier
The retro stuff (ps1-3 + psp) is only on the upper tier..

Standard Ps+ will continue working as usual. Same price, same features, 2-4 free games every month but no access to these expanded libraries.

MiguelItUp

Best deal in gaming.
I dunno about "best" per se, but I think it's a pretty good one, yeah. Saying it's best means everyone will jump on it, and I don't know if everyone will. At least not yet.

I've been itching to get more out of my PS5, but nothing about this is screaming to me. I hope that changes.

Excited about Demon's Souls being on here. Most certainly one of, if not THE most beautiful console game I've ever seen. Hope this really does give it a lot more exposure.

[Sigma]

No. Sony said the list are only SOME OF the games available there day one. Which means more games will be there. This applies to PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, PSP games and trials.

If it's PS+ Extra, Premium or Deluxe yes.

If you only have PS+Essential (the current PS+) it won't be included, so you'd have to upgrade to a higher tier to have access to these hundreds of games. They'll include options to upgrade your remaining months to a higher tier paying the difference.
We knew they weren't putting every game on there. But Nex is an odd exclusion in Housemarque's case considering they put every other recent title on there. I just find that an odd move.

Last edited:
Welp, they've sold me on getting the Extra or Premium tier once I pick up a PS5. They got a lot of PS Studio titles in there I've been wanting to play like Tearaway (where's Echochrome, tho?), Shadow of the Colossus, etc. along with the PS+ Collection.

Also kinda surprised with the Ubisoft+ partnership, there's a handful of games there I'll be checking out too like For Honor. I'm really happy about the classic games, tho it seems like the bare minimum in terms of enhancements. Higher framerates & resolution (I hope that includes a 60 FPS option for older games that were locked 30 FPS), I'm still hoping they add features like online multiplayer, extensive shader support and trophies for retro games on the service, and maybe even do some translations of previous Japan-only game (or just work out some agreement with fan translators who do that stuff already; let more people play Planet Laika, Sony!).

Really nice to see them leading the Game Trail feature with their own stuff, that should hopefully get 3P publishers to do trails more readily. Hopefully also means we can get some pre-launch game trails for at least a few AAA games. That'd be pretty neat.

yurinka

That lineup is great but is anyone else worried about the $300M pledged over 4 years in the earnings call? Sounds to me like Sony are gonna coast on subs like MS.
Not at all. What they said is that they plan to continue agressively growing the manpower their existing 1st party game development teams (so each studio can work in more games at the same time), and as a result the costs of 1st party teams will raise this FY in over $300M.

That didn't include Bungie, Haven or other acquisitions planned to be closed during this fiscal year, these teams also will keep growing. For them they plan to spend a separate over $340M in expenses related to these acquisitions, on top of the cost of the acquisitions themselves.

These over $300M and over $340M are added on top of what they were spending on 1st party teams every year. And are totally unrelated to PS+.

These will rotate out like Gamepass?
Yes, like PS Now and Gamepass.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
this seems lame and convoluted for no reason. Its just PS Now again. Which ppl didn't like in the first place.

I feel like this is just a rebranding, because PS Now was dead in the water. So they changed the name
To be fair, they should have done this a couple of years ago when they added the ability to download PS4 games and it wasn't just a streaming service anymore. Lots of people didn't want it because the name was associated with "streaming" - lots of people here even didn't know that PS Now had downloadable games that could be played on your local hardware... let alone all the normies out there.

Better late than never, I suppose.

Sony made the right read on the market and didn't overcommit, there is no need for every one of their games to be included in the service day one and games that are a few years old still have plenty of value to people that are fine waiting and that are just searching for value.

Had I not bought the games already I would see what Sony is offering as far superior to what Gamepass has, by a good margin even. I also think that the Sony AAA games have more appeal to a more general audience.

Last edited:

yurinka

Also, the fact TLOU2 isn't in there but Ghost of Tsushima and most of PS4 games are, it just confirms the remaster is coming. It's too obvious now they aren't done with that game.
There are hundreds of games that will be available on launch but aren't in the list. Plus they will keep adding games every month so they have to save for later some games and I assume they will save these two for later because are still selling.

Why does that matter to you?
Trials might encourage people to buy those games, if done right.

Either way, it's baby step. Wait for the full reveal.

That's what it seems like their purpose is, at least partially: drive attention to games to increase their sales potential.

However I can see it being used in other ways, like limited pre-launch game trails for new AAA releases as extra perks.

Sony made the right read on the market and didn't overcommit, there is no need for every one of their games to be included in the service day one and games that are a few years old still have plenty of value to people that are fine waiting and that are just searching for value.

I have to agree with this part.

Had I not bought the games already I already think what Sony is offering is far superior to what Gamepass has, by a good margin even.

This one might be more subjective, though. It really comes down to what you want. I am personally more partial to the library Sony's service is providing, but there are others who really want those MS games Day 1 in a sub service.

That said, it's fair to say MS have failed at living up to the promise of consistent Day 1 releases into GP, which is supposed to be its big appeal. Comparatively Sony looks to be delivering on everything they've promised with their revamp, and at a lesser cost too (if you buy a year's worth). So in some ways you can objectively compare both services.

Last edited:
There are hundreds of games that will be available on launch but aren't in the list. Plus they will keep adding games every month so they have to save for later some games and I assume they will save these two for later because are still selling.
If something like TLOU2 was on PS Plus we would know about it. That would be a massive one for them. It would be on that blog title and everything right next to Ghost of Tsushima

kyliethicc

They were showing off Bloodborne in that video as well. Hopefully that's a sign...
It’s been permanently part of PS Now for years, and is in the Extra lineup.

If something like TLOU2 was on PS Plus we would know about it. That would be a massive one for them. It would be on that blog title and everything right next to Ghost of Tsushima
They gotta hold back games for monthly refreshes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom