• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-new PlayStation Plus game lineup: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Demon’s Souls, Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut, NBA 2K22, and more join the service

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Zilch. You're getting a much better experience than anything Sony could ever cook up and you don't need to pay for access to titles you already own.

Ah yes, the privilege of getting to effectively rent games from a company with a horrific track record on consumer rights. I'll be sure to try out Siren, Ape Escape, Hot Shots Golf, I.Q. Intelligent Qube and Jumping Flash again so that my support encourages their developer to make more games in their series.

Oh...
Some of the attitudes in here really shock me. Sony is a corporation. They aren't your friend. There seems to be some kind of bizarre belief that people have a moral obligation to give them money.

I already paid for Resistance. And Tokyo Jungle. And Demon's Souls. Twice. I'm not going to pay to rent them from Sony because some zoomer on NeoGAF yells about my 'privilege'. Jesus christ, get a grip.

TLZ

Banned
AVo8uoC.gif
Sad Am Fine GIF by MOODMAN

Was this him as a kid 😅

DaGwaphics

There seems to be some kind of bizarre belief that people have a moral obligation to give them money.

I see that in regards to gaming subscriptions in general, like if you take advantage of the subs, that is wrong in some way. If the company is making the offer, I don't see anything wrong with reaping the benefits. Letting the purchases carry over is smart, that just builds loyalty.

Chronicle

There are two games I'm interested in on that list':
Demons souls
Returnal

I wasn't going to do it but just might. They're available with tier 2 I believe.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
The OP is missing the list from 3rd parties like Guardians of the Galaxy, Resident Evil, Batman, MK11 and Red Dead Redemption 2? There was so much hype for GOTG and NBA2k22 on GP and now it's barely mentioned 🤔 We need a PS Ambassador program to spread the word I guess 😅

Draugoth Draugoth

Third Party-Partners

• Ashen | Annapurna Interactive,PS4
  • Assassin’s Creed Valhalla*** | Ubisoft, PS4/PS5
  • Batman: Arkham Knight | WB Games, PS4
  • Celeste | Maddy Makes Games, PS4
  • Cities: Skylines | Paradox Interactive, PS4
  • Control: Ultimate Edition | 505 Games, PS4/PS5
  • Dead Cells| Motion Twin, PS4
  • Far Cry 3 Remaster*** | Ubisoft, PS4
  • Far Cry 4*** | Ubisoft, PS4
  • Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition | Square Enix Co. LTD, PS4
  • For Honor*** | Ubisoft, PS4
  • Hollow Knight | Team Cherry, PS4
  • Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy | Square Enix Co. LTD., PS4/PS5
  • Mortal Kombat 11 | WB Games, PS4/PS5
  • Narutoshippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., PS4
  • NBA 2K22 | 2K Games, PS4/PS5
  • Outer Wilds | Annapurna Interactive, PS4
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 | Rockstar Games, PS4
  • Resident Evil | Capcom Co., Ltd, PS4
  • Soulcalibur VI | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., PS4
  • South Park: The Fractured but Whole*** | Ubisoft, PS4
  • The Artful Escape | Annapurna Interactive, PS4/PS5
  • The Crew 2*** | Ubisoft, PS4
  • Tom Clancy’s The Division*** | Ubisoft, PS4

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
You must be new here. Just wait and see.

Let me refresh some people's minds with the original announcement:
Q1EaBex.png

PlayStation Plus Extra​

• Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
  • Adds a catalog of up to 400* of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.

PlayStation Plus Premium**​

• Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
  • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
    • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
    • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
  • Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.***
  • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Nice, I'm gonna have so many damn games from previously downloaded titles once they become available on this new service.

Still no plans on upgrading but if they basically roll out what was on PS3, there's gonna be a lot of great games to revisit for people who haven't already bought them.

So I can put my games from PS1-3 into my PS5?
If you bought the game on PSN, you own it and can play it on PS4 or PS5 with or without PS+.

The PS5 does not play CDs. PS3 is streaming only. The PS5 does not play PSP UMDs (duh).

PS4 and PS5 discs work in the PS5. Anything you buy digitally that's available on PS+ can be purchased off PSN and if you already bought it off PSN, you don't need to rebuy it or be subscribed to PS+.

And before you ask, no your PS4 discs won't work in an all-digital PS5.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

The PS5 does not play CDs. PS3 is streaming only. The PS5 does not play PSP UMDs (duh).

PS4 and PS5 discs work in the PS5. Anything you buy digitally that's available on PS+ can be purchased off PSN and if you already bought it off PSN, you don't need to rebuy it or be subscribed to PS+.

So basically my original post/complaint still stands.

sachos

PlayStation Plus Premium/Deluxe members will have a selection of popular classic games to play, with some titles that will show improved frame rates and higher-quality resolution compared to their original launch versions. For select original PlayStation and PSP classic games, members will also enjoy a new user interface with menus that allow you to save your game at any time, or even rewind the game if you want a do-over.

Also, players who have previously purchased the digital version of select games from the original PlayStation and PSP generation will not have to make a separate purchase or sign up to PlayStation Plus to play these titles on PS4 or PS5. When these titles are released for PS4 and PS5, players can head to PlayStation Store and download a version for the consoles at no extra cost if they already own the digital version of the title. Some of the titles will also be available for individual purchase.
Damn, i hoped ALL classic BC games would be improved, i hope at least a high % of them are.
Also, they mention only SELECT games purchases will be honored for PS1 and PSP or am i reading that wrong? Also a shame only some of the classics will be available for purchase and not the whole catalogue.
Weird they did not mention PS2.
So far im kinda disappointed, waiting for full list of titles and enhancements.

The list definitely has quality. I just struggle to understand whom this is targeted - if you are already in the PS ecosystem the odds are that you own or have already played most of the list. Let’s see how this will evolve with time.

Katajx

Gold Member
I’m hoping there is a good selection of 3rd party games available.
That’s where I spend most of my gaming time.

kyliethicc

The list definitely has quality. I just struggle to understand whom this is targeted - if you are already in the PS ecosystem the odds are that you own or have already played most of the list. Let’s see how this will evolve with time.
Most of the games in the Extra catalog have attach rates on PS4/5 lower than 25%.

Like God of War, for example.

It has sold 20 million copies. Add another 10-20 million who may have bought it used, borrowed a copy, etc.

With over 100 million PS4 owners, there’s still 60+ million people who haven’t played the game.

Amiga

Thank you GamePass. PlayStation fans need to appreciate how X-Box competition improved their platform, and vice versa.
Start is excellent, but Sony need to bring in good 3rd party games in the future to sustain this.

* Not going to play Valhalla even for free. Ubisoft games just give me a revolting vibe.

I thought only Returnal was confirmed as the headliner prior to this announcement.

For a ‘patient gaymer’ like me that would pretty much make the mid tier a must have.

Returnal and Demonsouls for me, almost went for them last sale but then the announcement happened.

Katajx

Gold Member
There needs to be a trophy for completing Valhalla before it rotates off the service. Game is bloat.
Was one of my first ps5 games. I enjoyed the bit I played of it. Deleted it for space on my hard drive and never went back.

Kagey K

Banned
You must be new here. Just wait and see.

Let me refresh some people's minds with the original announcement:
Q1EaBex.png

PlayStation Plus Extra​

• Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
  • Adds a catalog of up to 400* of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.

PlayStation Plus Premium**​

• Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
  • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
    • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
    • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
  • Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.***
  • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
That number is whats currently on PS Now. I expect the library to stay relatively the same other than the few games they highlighted today, (many of which are already there)

Last edited:

yurinka

I'm going to guess/assume Sony is going to go the Theater-to-Streaming route?

New AAA games are for sale exclusively for the first 12-18 months

Then said AAA game goes to the PS plus Premium streaming tier

Lastly said AAA gets ported to PC

Sounds about right? 🤔
I assume mostly yes, but it will depend on each case, meaning best selling 1st parties will arrive later to the sub.

I mean, it will have 1st party games like Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut or Death Stranding Director's Cut, released less than a year ago. But other games like The Last of Us 2 seems aren't going to be there. Or at least isn't in this inital list (could be there day one, isn't a complete list).

Their idea is to sell their games as much as they can in console, then apply price cuts and discounts, then once it doesn't sell enough they'll put most of them in this sub. And then a few of them (not all of them) whould be ported to PC if they see sales potential there once it doesn't generate money anymore in consoles.

That number is whats currently on PS Now. I expect the library to stay relatively the same other than the few games they highlighted today, (many of which are already there)
No, it's the number of games that will be in the new PS+. And out of these 700+, up to 340 (the exact number will vary per region/country) will be retro games (PS3 and older).

Many as you say already are in PS Now, but many of them aren't there. Many will be removed and many wil be added.

Plus there will be the demos, which if not at launch over time will be dozens or hundreds of games to play.

Last edited:

yurinka

Damn, i hoped ALL classic BC games would be improved, i hope at least a high % of them are.
Also, they mention only SELECT games purchases will be honored for PS1 and PSP or am i reading that wrong? Also a shame only some of the classics will be available for purchase and not the whole catalogue.
Weird they did not mention PS2.
So far im kinda disappointed, waiting for full list of titles and enhancements.
I assume they mean that PS2 games are going to be like the already availalbe ones in PS4 and PS5, native PS4 games running on a PS2 emulator with trophies and no visual enhacements. And that there are also PS1, PS2 and PSP already remastered or remade for PS4 or PS5. These games will stay as they are.

But on top of that, they will now add PSOne Classics and PSP Classic games running on a new emulator (with no trophies) that would add extra resolution framerate, rewind, savedata etc.

Last edited:
Competition is always good for consumers this is good for xbox aswell,they can't just go 20 25 dollars a month even with first party games day 1 because than this starts looking as alot better

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

What????? I tried everything with my digital ps5 to get my disks to work, I even jammed a peanut butter and jam sandwhich under the flap and the stupid thing still wouldn't play my ps4 games. In a fit of rage I smashed it with a hammer. I wish someone had just told me sooner. 😞

Neolombax

I'm sold. Demon Souls, Returnal and Guardians of the Galaxy are games I've always looked forward to. Hopefully they find a way to allow regions that don't support streaming PS3 games a way to download them instead.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm sold. Demon Souls, Returnal and Guardians of the Galaxy are games I've always looked forward to. Hopefully they find a way to allow regions that don't support streaming PS3 games a way to download them instead.
That'd be difficult because PS3 can't be emulated natively on PS4/PS5.

FYI -- there is a less-known "Deluxe" tier for people who want the perks of PS+ Premium but live in a region that does not support streaming games. They can basically get PS+ Premium (minus streaming features) at a reduced cost.

vivftp

There is talk that Sony is still working on a PS3 emulator so local play of PS3 games could still become a reality in the future. Logistically it certainly will have to as Sony can't keep stuffing PS3 hardware into data centers globally forever.

Neolombax

That'd be difficult because PS3 can't be emulated natively on PS4/PS5.

FYI -- there is a less-known "Deluxe" tier for people who want the perks of PS+ Premium but live in a region that does not support streaming games. They can basically get PS+ Premium (minus streaming features) at a reduced cost.
I've read about that, it seems they don't offer PS3 games, only PS1 and PSP games.

Kagey K

Banned
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That gen is Lost.

Sony wants to forget it and move on, which is a shame.

By the time the get emulation on it right most kids won't care, and we will all be dead.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess/assume Sony is going to go the Theater-to-Streaming route?

New AAA games are for sale exclusively for the first 12-18 months

Then said AAA game goes to the PS plus Premium streaming tier

Lastly said AAA gets ported to PC

Sounds about right? 🤔
Yeah, sounds about right. Just the time frame is in question. I think it's gonna get much shorter in the near future, something like 6 months tops. iirc, movies are at 45 days.

Schmick

This is looking pretty good.

As a Gamepass Ultimate and PS Now for PC user, for me it could not be a better time to be a gamer.

And as both service compete to be better than one another they will only draw more and more users and then be better and better and better.

(And before anyone says 'they'll raise the price'. I'm well aware of that. It's inevitable that the prices will raise at some point in the future.)

Glad I didn't upgrade as there is nothing there I would want to play that I don't already own but great if you are new to PS I guess.

Will be worthwhile in a few years if they keep this energy and I can become more of a patient gamer.

Top Bottom