• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-new PlayStation Plus game lineup: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Demon’s Souls, Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut, NBA 2K22, and more join the service

Via offline play? I don’t get you.

You can game share with 1 other console, same as on Xbox.
If I want to share my already downloaded games with my brother in the same household I had to activate offline play in the settings. I wondered if I can share my downloaded games from the PS Plus Premium service as well.

Banjo64

cumsessed
If I want to share my already downloaded games with my brother in the same household I had to activate offline play in the settings. I wondered if I can share my downloaded games from the PS Plus Premium service as well.
You shouldn’t need to activate offline play to game share.

You make his console your primary console, that way he can play any of your games online when he’s signed in on his own account.

The only catch is you need to be online to play on your console but you can play everything you own even at the same time as him.

yurinka

There is talk that Sony is still working on a PS3 emulator so local play of PS3 games could still become a reality in the future. Logistically it certainly will have to as Sony can't keep stuffing PS3 hardware into data centers globally forever.
It's fake news, the dev of the best PS3 emulator and a game PS3 engine programmer from Insonmiac and ICE Team said PS5 would need extra hadware to properly emulate it (all games, full performance, no bugs) because of technical limits. PS5 and PS4 can't achieve the sustained single core performance of the PS3 SPUs and on top of that there are some memory sync stuff that is very complicated.

Some games maybe could be emulated properly but not those who take full advantage of the hardware.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
If you own a ps5 and haven't played or own demons souls and returnal......

Angry Adam Scott GIF by Apple TV+
i feel i am in for one hell of a treat, at present i am playing diablo 2 till the end of june, then i have the outsiders DLC with some friends for a few months.

Then I will sub to the mid-tier, i have yet to play Ghost of Tsushima, spiderman, demon souls and returnal.

Who knows by the time i sub, they might add the last of us 2 and rachet.

So many amazing high-quality games.

Banjo64

cumsessed
i feel i am in for one hell of a treat, at present i am playing diablo 2 till the end of june, then i have the outsiders DLC with some friends for a few months.

Then I will sub to the mid-tier, i have yet to play Ghost of Tsushima, spiderman, demon souls and returnal.

Who knows by the time i sub, they might add the last of us 2 and rachet.

So many amazing high-quality games.
Don’t forget sackboi holmes or he’ll fuck you in da sackpussy

Faithless83

Banned
That number is whats currently on PS Now. I expect the library to stay relatively the same other than the few games they highlighted today, (many of which are already there)
There will be a shift to accommodate the PSP/PS5 games (not sure if they have PS1 games there) as well. I'm guessing if it was the same, the preview would be bigger.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Third Party-Partners

• Ashen | Annapurna Interactive,PS4
  • Assassin’s Creed Valhalla*** | Ubisoft, PS4/PS5
  • Batman: Arkham Knight | WB Games, PS4
  • Celeste | Maddy Makes Games, PS4
  • Cities: Skylines | Paradox Interactive, PS4
  • Control: Ultimate Edition | 505 Games, PS4/PS5
  • Dead Cells| Motion Twin, PS4
  • Far Cry 3 Remaster*** | Ubisoft, PS4
  • Far Cry 4*** | Ubisoft, PS4
  • Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition | Square Enix Co. LTD, PS4
  • For Honor*** | Ubisoft, PS4
  • Hollow Knight | Team Cherry, PS4
  • Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy | Square Enix Co. LTD., PS4/PS5
  • Mortal Kombat 11 | WB Games, PS4/PS5
  • Narutoshippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., PS4
  • NBA 2K22 | 2K Games, PS4/PS5
  • Outer Wilds | Annapurna Interactive, PS4
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 | Rockstar Games, PS4
  • Resident Evil | Capcom Co., Ltd, PS4
  • Soulcalibur VI | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., PS4
  • South Park: The Fractured but Whole*** | Ubisoft, PS4
  • The Artful Escape | Annapurna Interactive, PS4/PS5
  • The Crew 2*** | Ubisoft, PS4
  • Tom Clancy’s The Division*** | Ubisoft, PS4

My bad lol

The list definitely has quality. I just struggle to understand whom this is targeted - if you are already in the PS ecosystem the odds are that you own or have already played most of the list. Let’s see how this will evolve with time.
Im heavily invested in the ecosystem. For reference i have bought on lauch Demons souls, returnal, horizon FW, GT7, sacboy etc.

Games im interested here that i have missed but wanted to grab later on. Miles morales, GoT, Death Stranding, gardians of the galaxy, red ded2.

This is perfect for those who buy a few major releases and fill in the gaps with things they didnt get a chance to play. If i can find value here im sure alot of other folks can as well.

Faithless83

Banned
It's fake news, the dev of the best PS3 emulator and a game PS3 engine programmer from Insonmiac and ICE Team said PS5 would need extra hadware to properly emulate it (all games, full performance, no bugs) because of technical limits. PS5 and PS4 can't achieve the sustained single core performance of the PS3 SPUs and on top of that there are some memory sync stuff that is very complicated.

Some games maybe could be emulated properly but not those who take full advantage of the hardware.
PS5 can run it and use the tempest engine SPUs structure for the PS3 SPUs.
Remember that they have detailed documentation on the hardware, different from emulator devs.
They are also building a "game preservation team", there is no need for that on PS1/2 and PSP fronts as the emulators are already done.
That would mean that vita and PS3 are likely next.

yurinka

PS5 can run it and use the tempest engine SPUs structure for the PS3 SPUs.
Remember that they have detailed documentation on the hardware, different from emulator devs.
They are also building a "game preservation team", there is no need for that on PS1/2 and PSP fronts as the emulators are already done.
That would mean that vita and PS3 are likely next.

Documentation, tempest engine or building a team doesn't improve or fix the single core performance technical limits. PS3 was a rare and unique beast, modern GPUs and CPUs evolved in some areas but not in this one.

Vita could be emulated in the future who knows if even in the PS4, but PS3 (for all games, at full performance with no visible or gameplay affecting bugs) no. Regarding the preservation team, could be only to archive games, source code, documentation or tools, or to sign PS+ deals for PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP games with 3rd party publishers and licensors they may had in 1st/2nd party games. Game preservation team doesn't imply to work on emulators.

Last edited:

begotten

With the news of upcoming download options for classic games, I guess this pretty much confirms that a decent chunk of the classics from the PS3/Vita store are going to roll over onto the new one soon.

Faithless83

Banned
Documentation, tempest engine or building a team doesn't improve or fix the single core performance technical limits. PS3 was a rare and unique beast, modern GPUs and CPUs evolved in some areas but not in this one.

Vita could be emulated in the future who knows if even in the PS4, but PS3 (for all games, at full performance with no visible or gameplay affecting bugs) no. Regarding the preservation team, could be only to archive games, source code, documentation or tools, or to sign PS+ deals for PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP games with 3rd party publishers and licensors they may had in 1st/2nd party games. Game preservation team doesn't imply to work on emulators.
Keep in mind that PS4 code is highly customized and different from Xbox one, most games were coded to the metal. A great example of it is the PC port of HZD and how it ran at launch.
They have managed to pull off a 99.9% compatibility with it out of the box.

PS3 SPU is the main issue here and in emulation corners can be cut. Just because the emulator on PC is still "not quite there" compatibility wise, doesn't mean we won't see a big portion of the library on PS5.
Also, not everything will be ported due to legal issues anyways, that will trim down the library quite a bit.

MadPanda

Banned
PlayStation plus extra looks enticing. It's sad that Sony stopped that psnow conversion. Anyway, I applaud competition and I'm sure I'll subscribe to this once I got around to buying a ps5 console.

yurinka

Keep in mind that PS4 code is highly customized and different from Xbox one, most games were coded to the metal. A great example of it is the PC port of HZD and how it ran at launch.
They have managed to pull off a 99.9% compatibility with it out of the box.

PS3 SPU is the main issue here and in emulation corners can be cut. Just because the emulator on PC is still "not quite there" compatibility wise, doesn't mean we won't see a big portion of the library on PS5.
Also, not everything will be ported due to legal issues anyways, that will trim down the library quite a bit.
When there are technical limits that make something impossible there aren't corners to be cut. You can't emulate at full speed someting that is faster and has more bandwidth.

You can't emulate a PS5 on a NES at full speed. You can't emulate the PS3 SPUs and related memory management at full speed on PS5.

Faithless83

Banned
When there are technical limits that make something impossible there aren't corners to be cut. You can't emulate at full speed someting that is faster and has more bandwidth.

You can't emulate a PS5 on a NES at full speed. You can't emulate the PS3 SPUs and related memory management at full speed on PS5.
Probably not on the CPU side of things, but on tempest it may be possible due to it's similarities with the PS3 SPU.
Or the SPU instructions could be translated into something else that tempest "understands".
Most emulators cut corners on instructions, even on PS1 emulation, RPCS3 is no different.

You are just looking at raw numbers and saying "it's impossible". It's not a PS5 on NES comparison and if anyone can do it, it's Sony themselves.
They just didn't have the incentive to push this forward until now. Now it's commercially viable to invest in emulation as there is money to be made.

Last edited:

scydrex

Might as well upgrade to Extra for that pricetag. I honestly don't care about game ownership as I finish the games and never touch them again, and all of them are digital.

I like to have my games in physical and own them but if i subscribe to Extra. I could save almost $200 for games that i need to play. Got my PS5 this January and have a bit of a backlog...
I understand the part of not touching the games when you finish them. I rarely replay a game unless it´s a souls game if not it has to be a game that i liked it a lot and want to play it again.

GAF machine

I really think this type of comments is uncalled for.
Not only is this service just beginning, it's clear Sony took a look at Gamepass and said "how can we add additional value to our service?" and decided to do some other cool things as well.

In all honestly the best combo in gaming right now? PC (with Gamepass) and a PS5 with PSPlus Premium.

Nah, SIE took a look at PS Plus and PS Now to answer that question...

Could it ever tie in with the PlayStation Plus program and/or another separate subscription?
First, on the Plus side. As you all know Plus is doing really well. The customer satisfaction rates for that product are off the charts and we continue to add a ton of value to what the user receives through that. So we’ve never really put a limit on what PlayStation Now actually is. So there’s definitely a possibility in the future of us exploring some type of additional offering for the Plus community as it relates to PlayStation Now. So we can certainly see that. Separate from that, and could be related we are exploring a subscription option for PlayStation Now and that would be basically a set price for a certain set of content. No details on that just yet, but we are actively working on that behind the scenes because we have heard from our users that that’s something they’re really interested in. And we’d like to see how we can present some type of offering to them. -- Eric Lempel

Will we see older or newer PlayStation library games outside of PS3?
Yeah, in fact in our plans going forward we’re looking at everything so there’s the real possibility that you’ll see PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2, and PlayStation 4 titles available. Right now it’s just PlayStation 3, but these are all options for the future. --
Eric Lempel

Last edited:

midnightAI

Probably not on the CPU side of things, but on tempest it may be possible due to it's similarities with the PS3 SPU.
Or the SPU instructions could be translated into something else that tempest "understands".
Most emulators cut corners on instructions, even on PS1 emulation, RPCS3 is no different.

You are just looking at raw numbers and saying "it's impossible". It's not a PS5 on NES comparison and if anyone can do it, it's Sony themselves.
They just didn't have the incentive to push this forward until now. Now it's commercially viable to invest in emulation as there is money to be made.
He's right though, it is impossible. Tempest does similar functions to an SPU (its a cut down GPU compute unit with no cache) but it isn't one, and even then, its the equivalent of a single SPU, the PS3 had eight of them (seven for games)

Faithless83

Banned
He's right though, it is impossible. Tempest does similar functions to an SPU (its a cut down GPU compute unit with no cache) but it isn't one, and even then, its the equivalent of a single SPU, the PS3 had eight of them (seven for games)
Not every game took full advantage of it, probably only Sony first party did.
SPUs are the main problem, but far from making it "impossible to run". As I said, not all games will come to the service, a lot are behind legal problems by now.
That would still leave a lot of games that can be emulated (with improved textures) like their patent below:
VzRZmGy.png

PS1/2 games are big candidates for this, but it could also work on PS3 and even PS4.

midnightAI

Not every game took full advantage of it, probably only Sony first party did.
SPUs are the main problem, but far from making it "impossible to run". As I said, not all games will come to the service, a lot are behind legal problems by now.
That would still leave a lot of games that can be emulated (with improved textures) like their patent below:
VzRZmGy.png

PS1/2 games are big candidates for this, but it could also work on PS3 and even PS4.
Sorry, I should have been more clear, when I said impossible, I meant its impossible to use Tempest to emulate the Cell processor, its a single GPU compute unit with no cache (DMA access only). Emulating the PS3 itself 'may' be possible by doing all emulation on the PS5 GPU/CPU. The hard part is that post processing in many games on the PS3 was done on the CPU not the GPU as the GPU was underpowered and its this back and forth between the GPU/CPU which makes emulation slow.

yurinka

The problem isn't to "imitate" (or emulate) something done by the SPUs, but its single thread performance on a sustained time. Modern CPUs via multithread can achieve that but in peaks, not constantly. But these motherfuckers were so fast constantly, and multiple of them were doing at the same time, that can't be mimicked at that speed. The behavior could be copied but a slower performance, something not cool for players.

Plus there were memory/DMA related stuff that also is harder to explain.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Sorry, I should have been more clear, when I said impossible, I meant its impossible to use Tempest to emulate the Cell processor, its a single GPU compute unit with no cache (DMA access only). Emulating the PS3 itself 'may' be possible by doing all emulation on the PS5 GPU/CPU. The hard part is that post processing in many games on the PS3 was done on the CPU not the GPU as the GPU was underpowered and its this back and forth between the GPU/CPU which makes emulation slow.
The problem isn't to "imitate" (or emulate) something done by the SPUs, but its single thread performance on a sustained time. Modern CPUs via multithread can achieve that but in peaks, not constantly. But these motherfuckers were so fast constantly, and multiple of them were doing at the same time, that can't be mimicked at that speed. The behavior could be copied but a slower performance, something not cool for players.

Plus there were memory/DMA related stuff that also is harder to explain.
I understood both your points, that's why I'm saying "emulation can cut corners". PCs don't have SPUs as well, while the emulation still isn't great, if anyone could do it, it's sony.
Imagine the infrastructure costs to have PSNow PS3 games running? In the end it boils down to saving money.
Now they have a great reason to move this to software emulation.

It's bullshit that the entire current Playstation Now library is not included in the new service. Where is the God of War collection? Don't even have the PS4 remaster of GoW3.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I like the lineup. Some games in there I've never played but would like to try. I'm also looking forward to revisiting what they make available from my Vita collection. I only ever bought digital on the Vita, so when mine died I essentially lost access to all of them. Thinking I'll stream them to my Steam Deck using Chiaki maybe, so long as they code in the ability to send a Home button input through Steam by then.

Belthazar

The list definitely has quality. I just struggle to understand whom this is targeted - if you are already in the PS ecosystem the odds are that you own or have already played most of the list. Let’s see how this will evolve with time.

The PS ecosystem is more than 100 million Monthly Active Users, so even for heavy hitters like God of War that sold upwards of 20 million copies, there's still A LOT of people that never bought those games. Not every consumer is a hardcore gamer that buys everything

FrankWza

The PS ecosystem is more than 100 million Monthly Active Users, so even for heavy hitters like God of War that sold upwards of 20 million copies, there's still A LOT of people that never bought those games. Not every consumer is a hardcore gamer that buys everything
exactly. There are so many exclusives that it would be impossible to expect everyPS owner to buy every game

Lognor

Banned
Not a lot there got ps5, but decent start. I wouldn't sub until there was a lot more ps5 content. It's fine but not sure it'll move the needle on subs

Top Bottom