• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-new PlayStation Plus launches in June with three flexible membership options

I know, but the game is from Sony and there is nothing stopping Sony from working with them on a non VR game. Facebook doesn't care about that as far as I know and the studio might still want to work on something like that.

Not that I think it's really going to happen.

The Order was perfect for a service like this, one of the reasons it was so criticized was how it didn't justify it's price, but there is definitely some good things in the game despite the obvious flaws.
Sony could do it on their own or just get Bluepoint to work on it.

Ready At Dawn is not only doing constant updates for one of their VR Sport games but I'm sure are working on another Oculus game. Facebook bought the studio.

Sony could do it on their own or just get Bluepoint to work on it.

Ready At Dawn is not only doing constant updates for one of their VR Sport games but I'm sure are working on another Oculus game. Facebook bought the studio.

They said multiple time to be working on a AAA console game, as I've said, maybe Facebook is open to give them that sort of freedom to work on things other than VR.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Da the extra tier is where the money is at. It's actually cheap which is good for me. I'm rarely going to use it so it's gotta be cheap. $40 is like breakfast for two so I'm okay with it. That's how Nintendo got me. There's something to be said for pay more, get more but the selection is pretty good.

I hardly see anyone mention how much better the selection is, now that I think about it. Big improvement from psnow. I was expecting more fanfare for this launch.
yeah i was just thinking about it, I get great deals on gamepass, and I know that has day 1 games

But even at full price, $99 is insane for what I am getting, and like you said I only paid $40 for the difference, and already playing plenty of new games on it.

I did the math on gpu and was kinda shocked that it was $180 full price lol

If you had PS+ Essential already, it's like you don't even have an option. Basic PS+ looks terrible in comparison so you might as well move up to at least PS+ Extra.
Extra is definitely the best of the 3. I don't need two subs every month. My plan will be to do a month or two of Extra a year to play first party stuff and whatever else shows up. $15 x2 for 2 months a year is probably enough for me. I think I'll be skipping most first party stuff until it shows up this way, then buy what I like way down the road after several discounts.

If you don't already have GP then $100 a year is a no brainer. The real test is going to be seeing how long first party stuff stays on the service, how much they add monthly. The initial drop was always going to be great. Off to an extremely solid start.

Extra is definitely the best of the 3. I don't need two subs every month. My plan will be to do a month or two of Extra a year to play first party stuff and whatever else shows up. $15 x2 for 2 months a year is probably enough for me. I think I'll be skipping most first party stuff until it shows up this way, then buy what I like way down the road after several discounts.

If you don't already have GP then $100 a year is a no brainer. The real test is going to be seeing how long first party stuff stays on the service, how much they add monthly. The initial drop was always going to be great. Off to an extremely solid start.
But can you upgrade only for a month? It looked to me like I had to upgrade all the time I had left.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The Order 1886 Director's Cut?
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Gudji

Gold Member
Hmm, I see an option to downgrade my sub from my currently stacked PS Plus Premium sub. Has anyone tried that? If we downgraded to Extra instead that means our sub time will be extended based on the savings amount?

AddiF

Question.

European gamer here with a US account on my PS5. My country doesn't exist in the eyes of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo so...

Anyway, I've bougt PS+ codes and gift codes on amazon.com nunerous times. Last time was May 23rd. Worked perfectly.

Until now?

I can't buy codes because "geographical restrictions".

Did something change with this new PS+ thing?

-----

EDIT: found out it was an amazon thing. I have two shipping addresses there and the European one was marked as primary address for digital codes/purchases. I didn't change anything myself since last purchase (that worked fine btw) so I don't know how this came to be. But anyway, ot works fine now.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Ya. I didnt notice it was an old post. My bad. Thanks anyways.
You're good man. No worries. I think they're a bit off on the total counts from what they originally announced but I wouldn't be shocked if they hit them soon enough.

Last edited:

lucius

PSP and PS1 selection is pretty weak so far, I owned Syphon Filter and Wild Arms so it’s nice to get that but I invested in lots of PS3 digital games that I can only access some of them through buying a used PS3 . The emulation isn’t really that bad from what I played of Syphon Filter, needs some better filter options. Yes I play Duckstation that’s best way to play PS1 besides Vita which PS1 is still really good on.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I know, but the game is from Sony and there is nothing stopping Sony from working with them on a non VR game. Facebook doesn't care about that as far as I know and the studio might still want to work on something like that.

Not that I think it's really going to happen.

The Order was perfect for a service like this, one of the reasons it was so criticized was how it didn't justify it's price, but there is definitely some good things in the game despite the obvious flaws.
Yep. I was confident that The Order would be on PS+ but it wasn't.

The optimist in me now believes that Sony intentionally held some games back so they can add them as part of the monthly refreshes. Had they included all first-party games they had, they'd have to resort to getting new third-party games every month, which would have been needlessly costly or affected the quality of the monthly games. Let's see if it turns out to be like that or not.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Enjoying it so far, competition is good, glad this has launched. Just hope Sony goes day and date or even 6 months and it would be perfect.

THE DUCK

I hope they don't do that day one thing.

Don't fear it so much. It would propel thier pass into the 30-40 million subs region eventually and that's 4 billion dollars a year.
But then your like, but that's less than they make now! But most seem to forget traditional game sales don't drop to zero, you would still see millions of units sold. Plus tons of add ons. And don't forget all of the extra revenue from 3rd party games selling more as the sub service attracts more people playing more games more often.

It's a win-win even if it's a just the same revenue as before since they remain competitive and keep customers.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Don't fear it so much. It would propel thier pass into the 30-40 million subs region eventually and that's 4 billion dollars a year.
But then your like, but that's less than they make now! But most seem to forget traditional game sales don't drop to zero, you would still see millions of units sold. Plus tons of add ons. And don't forget all of the extra revenue from 3rd party games selling more as the sub service attracts more people playing more games more often.

It's a win-win even if it's a just the same revenue as before since they remain competitive and keep customers.
I disagree.

They already have ~50 million subs and generate approx. $3.5 billion from sub alone.

Adding games day one does not drop sales to zero, but they eat into it significantly. And it becomes a zero-sum game. If your subs increase, your game sales will decrease. And your game sales will increase only if your subs decrease. So eventually two of your revenue sources start competing with each other. That's a really poor strategy.

And that add-on and MTX strategy is a big reason why I don't want them to take that route. Games like God of War, Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU, Spider-Man, Demon's Souls, etc. have no add-on or MTX revenue model. These games have no place in a subscription service day one.

And that's the type of games I want from Sony, and I'm happy to pay for that. I bet most of us are happy to pay for premium products. I just don't want Sony to reduce the quality of their games.

I disagree.

They already have ~50 million subs and generate approx. $3.5 billion from sub alone.

Adding games day one does not drop sales to zero, but they eat into it significantly. And it becomes a zero-sum game. If your subs increase, your game sales will decrease. And your game sales will increase only if your subs decrease. So eventually two of your revenue sources start competing with each other. That's a really poor strategy.

And that add-on and MTX strategy is a big reason why I don't want them to take that route. Games like God of War, Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU, Spider-Man, Demon's Souls, etc. have no add-on or MTX revenue model. These games have no place in a subscription service day one.

And that's the type of games I want from Sony, and I'm happy to pay for that. I bet most of us are happy to pay for premium products. I just don't want Sony to reduce the quality of their games.
There is very little incentive for Sony to put their big games day one in the service, they'll only do it if they get desperate at some point and by then I doubt they'll even be making the same sort of game they make today. Their games are selling like never before, they are expanding to PC and they can't even keep up with the demand for their console.

I think most people don't realize basic PS+ alone got them close to 50m and now they are providing very decent value for people to upgrade. There are ways to provide value beyond day one games and clearly Sony realized that's why they came up with something unexpected like the game trials.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
There is very little incentive for Sony to put their big games day one in the service, they'll only do it if they get desperate at some point and by then I doubt they'll even be making the same sort of game they make today. Their games are selling like never before, they are expanding to PC and they can't even keep up with the demand for their console.

I think most people don't realize basic PS+ alone got them close to 50m and now they are providing very decent value for people to upgrade. There are ways to provide value beyond day one games and clearly Sony realized that's why they came up with something unexpected like the game trials.
Exactly. A publisher that is selling 20 million copies left right and center don't need to put their games on a subscription service day one. That's why Nintendo doesn't do it. That's why Rockstar doesn't do it. That's why Sony doesn't do it.

First-time developers, smaller developers, and publishers whose games do not sell as much -- or those who know that their games don't have the pull or popularity to sell millions of copies -- take the subscription route, e.g., Rebellion Development, Limited Run Games, Mediatonic, etc.

No disrespect to these devs or publishers, but the budget of their games also show their confidence level. I just don't want Sony to reduce their game dev budget because they are expecting less returns.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

I disagree.

Well for one you don't lose all the PlayStation us regular subs either. A zero sum game is better than having your user base chipped away by the competition, if they can maintain quality and revenue streams while shifting to be more competitive it's a win. I don't buy that quality needs to drop if you can maintain revenue.

There is a big group of casual gamers that haven't made a purchasing decision yet this generation, why give them a reason to buy an xbox? Gamepass is offering a value that is alluring that would be completely gone if Sony has thier own.

As far as add ons go, it doesn't change from what we have now, the advantage for Sony is more people playing more often.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well for one you don't lose all the PlayStation us regular subs either. A zero sum game is better than having your user base chipped away by the competition, if they can maintain quality and revenue streams while shifting to be more competitive it's a win. I don't buy that quality needs to drop if you can maintain revenue.

There is a big group of casual gamers that haven't made a purchasing decision yet this generation, why give them a reason to buy an xbox? Gamepass is offering a value that is alluring that would be completely gone if Sony has thier own.

As far as add ons go, it doesn't change from what we have now, the advantage for Sony is more people playing more often.
I don't see it that way, because of two reasons.
  1. Sony has already revamped and significantly improved PS+. Frankly, I feel PS+ now offers better value than Gamepass because of Sony's high-quality first-party games catalogue (Spider-Man, Miles Morales, GoT, Returnal, Demon's Souls, etc.). Gamepass's USP and big appeal are the day-one AAA first party games but there haven't been any meaningful such releases. Until that starts happening on a consistent basis, I think that USP is way overblown and Sony has nothing to worry about -- because barring day-one first party games, both services are doing the same thing. Sony, at $60 less per year.
  2. There is no data or evidence right now that suggests Xbox is chipping away at PlayStation's market share. Around this time, PS4 was outselling Xbox One by a ratio of 1.3-1.4. This gen, PS5 is outselling Xbox Series X|S by a ratio of 1.3-1.4. Things haven't changed at all in favor of Xbox. And if that's not the case, why would Sony panic and flip its entire business strategy on its head, especially when their first-party games are now selling better than they ever did? I don't see any valid reason.

Varteras

Gold Member
C Corndog So ZubyTech over on Twitter posted images of all the games currently available on PS+ through the various tiers, including the streaming-only PS3 titles. The list is for the Americas. From what I counted, there are over 800 games on that list. I counted 824 in total but some games on that list were duplicates, which I also noticed on the app for some reason. But even with those being taken into account, there are still definitely over 800 titles on the service as of right now. Unless I miscounted. Just wanted to give you the answer on that since you were both curious and courteous about it.

Last edited:

Crayon

I was playing dark void for God knows why. There are f****** puddles on slanted ground, the bloom, the "we've got company" quality lines left and right...

Really reminded me of what I hated about that generation. I'd go on here and people would be talking about the darkness and s*** like it was something to play. The darkness, dark void, dark sector, darkness, dark asscrack, dark hole in my head. Every other flavor of the month thing was some third person auto-game for morons.

It was probably the weakest my interest in games ever got. There was some good stuff, it just seemed like games are going in this horrible direction. It didn't help that ms' noise machine had convinced me that people actually wanted kinect. I was like "welp, videogames had a good run".

THE DUCK

I don't see it that way, because of two reasons.
  1. Sony has already revamped and significantly improved PS+. Frankly, I feel PS+ now offers better value than Gamepass because of Sony's high-quality first-party games catalogue (Spider-Man, Miles Morales, GoT, Returnal, Demon's Souls, etc.). Gamepass's USP and big appeal are the day-one AAA first party games but there haven't been any meaningful such releases. Until that starts happening on a consistent basis, I think that USP is way overblown and Sony has nothing to worry about -- because barring day-one first party games, both services are doing the same thing. Sony, at $60 less per year.
  2. There is no data or evidence right now that suggests Xbox is chipping away at PlayStation's market share. Around this time, PS4 was outselling Xbox One by a ratio of 1.3-1.4. This gen, PS5 is outselling Xbox Series X|S by a ratio of 1.3-1.4. Things haven't changed at all in favor of Xbox. And if that's not the case, why would Sony panic and flip its entire business strategy on its head, especially when their first-party games are now selling better than they ever did? I don't see any valid reason.

To some degree number 1 is true, however you can't discount day and date as much as you are. There may not be a ton at this moment but people did notice FH5 and Halo Infinity. However there could be a balance, maybe this is it if we can count on the newer games after a few months or a year.

For number 2, there is lots of evidence that they are chipping away. There are a ton of people on this forum and that I have talked to personally that have said they either bought an S or a X for gamepass when they hadn't planned to prior to gamepass. Some of them are diehard Sony fans who had very little plan to buy an xbox initially but were drawn in by the value of it. If they like what they see, and MS starts pumping out games, you could easily see some switch allegiances. I agree no need to panic, but you also can't sit and do nothing in the face of competition, or you risk being left behind. These new changed are step in the right direction, and it might be enough, it might not be.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well, it was only $16 to upgrade to premium until late September. Looking forward to trying out some stuff later. The catalog is much larger than I was expecting, and I missed so much last generation that it should hopefully keep me busy for a while.

To some degree number 1 is true, however you can't discount day and date as much as you are. There may not be a ton at this moment but people did notice FH5 and Halo Infinity. However there could be a balance, maybe this is it if we can count on the newer games after a few months or a year.

For number 2, there is lots of evidence that they are chipping away. There are a ton of people on this forum and that I have talked to personally that have said they either bought an S or a X for gamepass when they hadn't planned to prior to gamepass. Some of them are diehard Sony fans who had very little plan to buy an xbox initially but were drawn in by the value of it. If they like what they see, and MS starts pumping out games, you could easily see some switch allegiances. I agree no need to panic, but you also can't sit and do nothing in the face of competition, or you risk being left behind. These new changed are step in the right direction, and it might be enough, it might not be.

I think a lot of PS5 owners that got Xbox for GamePass aren’t suddenly going to abandon Sony, though.

I got an XSX for GamePass, MS first party, and third party titles I’d never buy but want to try out

In other words I don’t think buying an Xbox hurts Sony, just expands what gamers can access

Last edited:

yurinka

It doesn't make any sense for Sony to put their games there day one. Their sub already gives them almost $4B per year and has 50M subs. With the new PS+, their subs will grow and specially many of these 50M will move to a higher tier, meaning Sony will be earning way more than 4B/year.

And this is putting there mostly old games, their big 1st party games sell like 15-20M copies each, generating them a ton of money. And they earn way more money from 3rd party games sold for their console. They have a very profitable business. It would be super stupid to lose most of their own game sales, to highly hurt their 3rd party sales only to grow a bit more their subscription, which with the new PS+ will be even way more successful than already is.

Top Bottom