• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-new PlayStation Plus launches in June with three flexible membership options

Gudji

Gold Member
Weird how subscriptions are no longer "free" huh
gordon ramsay cooking GIF by Hell's Kitchen

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think a lot of PS5 owners that got Xbox for GamePass aren’t suddenly going to abandon Sony, though.

I got an XSX for GamePass, MS first party, and third party titles I’d never buy but want to try out

In other words I don’t think buying an Xbox hurts Sony, just expands what gamers can access

They might not abandon Sony right now, and even if they don't though, time spent away from Sony games costs them money. There are only so many hours in day for entertainment. Maybe they pass on Reternal to play Halo Infinite. Or skip GT7 altogether to play Forza.

THE DUCK

It doesn't make any sense for Sony to put their games there day one. Their sub already gives them almost $4B per year and has 50M subs. With the new PS+, their subs will grow and specially many of these 50M will move to a higher tier, meaning Sony will be earning way more than 4B/year.

And this is putting there mostly old games, their big 1st party games sell like 15-20M copies each, generating them a ton of money. And they earn way more money from 3rd party games sold for their console. They have a very profitable business. It would be super stupid to lose most of their own game sales, to highly hurt their 3rd party sales only to grow a bit more their subscription, which with the new PS+ will be even way more successful than already is.

Nor did Xbox abandon Xbox live gold subs, you have separate this out. I do agree they will get some people to try the higher tiers, but are old games enough to keep them there? Then there is no increase from before for a lot of subs.
There is no evidence that third party games suffer due to gamepass, in fact MS has said that gamepass subs spend more time playing games, including third party titles. And sometimes 3rd parties actually benefit from the subscription services and are drawn to them.
Agreed that they would need a lot of subs to make up for the lost game sales, but it would shift over, not be lost. If nobody subscribes, nothing is lost - your sales stay the same. If a ton subscribe, you have a massive and loyal subscription base, something companies love vs games that may or may not sell.
It may come down to internal date, how many games the average person buys from them per year, and how many adds ons they buy in sub vs purchase.

They might not abandon Sony right now, and even if they don't though, time spent away from Sony games costs them money. There are only so many hours in day for entertainment. Maybe they pass on Reternal to play Halo Infinite. Or skip GT7 altogether to play Forza.

If anything it’s the other way around. Sony delivers must have or play games to me

GamePass must haves are rarer and more experimental

THE DUCK

If anything it’s the other way around. Sony delivers must have or play games to me

GamePass must haves are rarer and more experimental
But that's you, I'm sure many would find some sort of more even split. A game like starfield could pull people away for many hours. And we do expect all of these studios they bought to add up to more AAA games than before eventually.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
But that's you, I'm sure many would find some sort of more even split. A game like starfield could pull people away for many hours. And we do expect all of these studios they bought to add up to more AAA games than before eventually.

The pool is big enough for all parties.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Am I able to convert or get the premium at a discount?

I have over 2 years left on current Plus.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Gamepass is Mc Donalds. And PSplus Extra or Premium are like Ramsays Hells Kitchen harmurguers. Sony's IPs are so strong and unique that You won't find a Game like Bloodborne , TLOU or God of War on Gamepass.

Still think that those IPs and so much others separate Sony from Microsoft , the same way Nintendo does vs both of them.

At the end exclusives are the key and Sony has been working the last 20 years improving , Microsoft is just starting to develop new IPs so time Will tell but at this moment Plus has better and unique games than Gpass

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
All I personally wanted was access to more PS1, PS2, PSP content on PS5. I had thought there would be weekly releases... but it appears that's not the case.

JaksGhost

All I personally wanted was access to more PS1, PS2, PSP content on PS5. I had thought there would be weekly releases... but it appears that's not the case.
They already announced their release schedule would consist of Essential games being added in the beginning of the month with the higher tiers being added mid-month. Some of y'all really create narratives and run with them only to be steeped in disappointment afterwards.

Last edited:
I upgraded because there are a lot of last gen games I still haven't played, and I have to say it does seem really solid for the price. I still haven't played Death Stranding, Returnal, Demon's Souls, Valhalla, the Spiderman games, and more, so it's a really good deal for me. Also, streaming games no longer kicks you out of party chat, so I will actually play some of the PS3 games on there now.

yurinka

Nor did Xbox abandon Xbox live gold subs, you have separate this out. I do agree they will get some people to try the higher tiers, but are old games enough to keep them there? Then there is no increase from before for a lot of subs.
There is no evidence that third party games suffer due to gamepass, in fact MS has said that gamepass subs spend more time playing games, including third party titles. And sometimes 3rd parties actually benefit from the subscription services and are drawn to them.
Agreed that they would need a lot of subs to make up for the lost game sales, but it would shift over, not be lost. If nobody subscribes, nothing is lost - your sales stay the same. If a ton subscribe, you have a massive and loyal subscription base, something companies love vs games that may or may not sell.
It may come down to internal date, how many games the average person buys from them per year, and how many adds ons they buy in sub vs purchase.
In the same way that Gold is included in Game Pass Ultimate, PS+ Premium also includes the features and content of PS+ Essential (former PS+). The difference is that in PS the upgrade doesn't cost $1.

Several devs said isn't worth it and Devolver saw its market value cut in half after not achieving their sales target after including their recent games days one on GP and PS Now.

The average console player buys a game or two per year. But we, a small portion of the market buy way more per year. I assume this small portion of players who play a lot of different games are the ones interested on subs like GP or higher tiers of the new PS+. So yes, make sense GP subbers spend on average more than the non-subbers. What MS didn't say is if these subbers now as subbers buy more or less games than before joining GP. I assume that they spend a big portion of their time playing GP games so they buy less games, and regarding non-GP games I assume they'll continue buying (more than 1-2 per year, so higher average) but many of them that previously they would have bought without gamepass, now they'll wait to see if ends getting included in GP or not.

On top of that, there's the finantials. MS has over 30 internal studios working in even more games that cost hundreds of millions of dollars each. On top of that, they are paying 3rd parties (AAA and indies) to compensate the lost potential game sales for putting their games on GP day one. Some 3rds are happy with the deals and accept it, other ones don't. We'll have to see over time how many of them repeat, meaning that both parties have been happy with the results.

The PS+ focus is different, because it includes there mostly old games who already completed (or almost) their sales cycle. Meaning that these games instead losing a lot of sales by including the game in a subscription day one, by doing it later they see the subscription as an additional revenue source for when the game already sold most of the units it could sell.

Am I able to convert or get the premium at a discount?

I have over 2 years left on current Plus.
If the new new PS+ still didn't release in your country buy right now a PS Now 1 month code of your country in some CD key store and redeem it before it releases in your country. When released you'll get migrated to Premium and your expiration date will be the longer one of the two (in this case 2 years left). I think it may cost you $10.

If it already released in your country, there is an option to migrate all your remaining time of Plus to Premium by paying the difference (costs $120/year but you have ~2 years so it's ~$240, but upgrading you pay the different which is the half so you'd pay ~$120). So can buy PSN credit in cd key stores at a discounted price, often somewhere 20-25% off. Let's say you get there $120 of PSN credit at 20% off, they you'd pay ~$102 to get the ~$120 needed to upgrade 2 years of PS+.

If you only want to test premium during a month or so, you can also create a new account and buy a month of Premium there.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Gamepass is Mc Donalds. And PSplus Extra or Premium are like Ramsays Hells Kitchen harmurguers. Sony's IPs are so strong and unique that You won't find a Game like Bloodborne , TLOU or God of War on Gamepass.

Still think that those IPs and so much others separate Sony from Microsoft , the same way Nintendo does vs both of them.

At the end exclusives are the key and Sony has been working the last 20 years improving , Microsoft is just starting to develop new IPs so time Will tell but at this moment Plus has better and unique games than Gpass
Exactly. I've been playing Returnal and it's above and beyond absolutely anything on gamespass. Gamepass is great but Sony has the advantage still with their games.

scydrex

Brought $100 PSN card for $84.5 with a special in a local shop. So will pay 1 year of extra with that. Finished Miles Morales, now playing Ghost of Tsushima, then returnal and demon soul, then Death Stranding. The total to own those games to me is $302 minus the $84.5. I saved $217.5 not bad at all. Already had Guardian of the Galaxy and someday will try AC: Valhalla. I prefer physical but to save money is even better and still play those games.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Brought $100 PSN card for $84.5 with a special in a locak shop. So will pay 1 year of extra with that. Finished Miles Morales, now playing Ghost of Tsushima, then returnal and demon soul, then Death Stranding. The total to own those games is $302 minus the $85. I saved $217 not bad at all. Already had Guardian of the Galaxy and someday will try AC: Valhalla. I prefer physical but i save money is even better and still play those games.
It’s hard to argue when you break it down like that. It’s fantastic value.

I spent around £200 recently on Elden Ring, GT7 and HFW. I feel they’re all worth the money at launch but I will probably not buy any more games until Christmas time now. I have not bought 3 games at launch like that in a LONG time but the thirst for new stuff was real.

scydrex

It’s hard to argue when you break it down like that. It’s fantastic value.

I spent around £200 recently on Elden Ring, GT7 and HFW. I feel they’re all worth the money at launch but I will probably not buy any more games until Christmas time now. I have not bought 3 games at launch like that in a LONG time but the thirst for new stuff was real.

Yeah. Like i say prefer physical but saving money is better. If i want to own any of those games will buy them when cheap. Saved $217.5 paying 1 year of extra instead of owning those games and still gonna play them and enjoy them.

There is no God of War I and II native on PS4?

wtf-is-that-confused.gif

Sony is so lazy that instead of removing games that are streaming only from the list on the website for countries that don't have streaming they just add an asterisk... come on now...

Last edited:
Any UK folks got emails about the ability to upgrade yet? We launch on the 23rd right?
I'm from Portugal but got the email saying my subscription will convert into PSPlus Premium so there was nothing else they could say.
My bet is most people have gotten it. Check your spam folder. Maybe it's there? If not, as soon the service is up for us you'll get that upgrade choice as soon as you turn your console on I think. The same happened in other territories.

AGRacing

Gold Member
They already announced their release schedule would consist of Essential games being added in the beginning of the month with the higher tiers being added mid-month. Some of y'all really create narratives and run with them only to be steeped in disappointment.
Yeah here's a narrative ... the selection of those games is trash and it's 3 weeks away from maybe getting a little better. So at this rate... 12 PSP games by this time in 2023?

It's not a "narrative" that making Echochrome the only PSP title at launch is a bad joke. It would be better to have nothing and launch it properly later to try and capitalize on nostalgia.

I didn't sub to the plan... I have nothing to be steeped in disappointment over. If they want me to go for it they'll make the older stuff a larger priority. If they don't care that's fine too. This is the first time since the service launched on PS3 that I'm not subscribed to it.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

What complete bullshit.

Sosokrates

Yeah, i actually like McDonalds. This one's more like Popeyes or something.

I would say its more like, gampass is like Netflix and ps extra/premium is like an early amazon video.

As for exclusives its been pretty even so far this gen, sony probably have a few more games. But bu the time the gen is over its going to be completely subjective, I think ms will have more metacritic greens simply because they have more devs therefore more output.

So it’s the superior choice?! Because my ass is taking Popeyes over McDonald’s any day. Hell, I just had a 3 piece yesterday. Let me get back to getting my ass beat in Returnal.
Depends on the location actually. Popeyes in europe is crap. McDonalds on the other hand is pretty good all over europe.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What complete bullshit.
Just people trying to bait people

While I enjoy Sony's single player games once I played them once I very seldom ever go back and I sure can't say the same for a great steak

I do however keep returning to several Xbox games like Forza and still play the last Motorsports title from time to time on my main account

I guess getting me to keep returning is the very definition of a good steak house

JaksGhost

Depends on the location actually. Popeyes in europe is crap. McDonalds on the other hand is pretty good all over europe.
Wow I didn’t know they actually had Popeyes in Europe. Maybe because it was available on most Army bases while I was there I never needed to seek it out elsewhere. Now KFC though was smacking in Europe while being trash in the US. Stumbling upon one off of the coast in Mallorca saved us.

T-Cake

Europe turn tomorrow! I reckon I’ll try Batman Arkham Asylum first. Want to see how that compares to the PS3 original.

S0ULZB0URNE

Why would they abandon Sony at all?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Exactly. I've been playing Returnal and it's above and beyond absolutely anything on gamespass. Gamepass is great but Sony has the advantage still with their games.
No doubt imo the Sony games are better and I can't speak for Sosokrates Sosokrates but I can say for me anyhow the games Sony is offering on their top tier service are games I have played and most likely any other hardcore PS fan has already played.

Then they give you a demo of a game you have to turn around and buy if you like it.

The other service is letting me play new releases day one with no further investment.

Games wise Sony wins

Service wise hands down its Xbox but this is subject to change if Sony decides to get serious about their top tier service

Lupin25

No doubt imo the Sony games are better and I can't speak for Sosokrates Sosokrates but I can say for me anyhow the games Sony is offering on their top tier service are games I have played and most likely any other hardcore PS fan has already played.

Then they give you a demo of a game you have to turn around and buy if you like it.

The other service is letting me play new releases day one with no further investment.

Games wise Sony wins

Service wise hands down its Xbox but this is subject to change if Sony decides to get serious about their top tier service

Subscription services aren’t for die-hards who can afford an extensive catalogue, tho. It’s a casual, consumer-friendly option lol. And most, do not buy ALL of Sony’s exclusives.

PS Plus is giving Stray free next month day one, just like they did with Control: Ultimate.

This subscription has insane value for the average consumer: Multiple $60-$70 ($90 CAD!) top-tier PS5 games.

Returnal has co-op so it’s certainly no one and done… And even when we view the top PS5 downloads list, Miles Morales, TLOU2, GOW, Demon’s Souls still rotate at the top of the list.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Subscription services aren’t for die-hards who can afford an extensive catalogue, tho. It’s a casual, consumer-friendly option lol. And most, do not buy ALL of Sony’s exclusives.

PS Plus is giving Stray free next month day one, just like they did with Control: Ultimate.

This subscription has insane value for the average consumer: Multiple $60-$70 ($90 CAD!) top-tier PS5 games.

Returnal has co-op so it’s certainly no one and done… And even when we view the top PS5 downloads list, Miles Morales, TLOU2, GOW, Demon’s Souls still rotate at the top of the list.
Without a doubt if someone hasn't played the big Sony games that are on the list it can be a worthwhile investment

Coming from someone who buys all the Sony blockbuster games as of right now the service has zero value for me as I don't want to wait for however long it takes for those huge games to make their way to said service as I want to play stuff day one

Sosokrates

Just people trying to bait people

While I enjoy Sony's single player games once I played them once I very seldom ever go back and I sure can't say the same for a great steak

I do however keep returning to several Xbox games like Forza and still play the last Motorsports title from time to time on my main account

I guess getting me to keep returning is the very definition of a good steak house
Indeed.
Last gen if we look at meta scores and my own taste I think most people will agree the sonys first party was ahead of XBOX's. However this gen that is no longer the case. They are both pretty even. Doing things quite similarly but with some differences.
I think they are both offering great stuff.

Top Bottom