• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All of Us Are Dead (Korean zombie virus outbreak NF series)

Aggelos

You know, after some recent zombies genre entries like Zack Snyder's Army of the Dead and Johannes Roberts' new Resident Evil reboot, the South Koreans are back at it again.

GhudGdy.jpg

OJ5lBw6.jpg

Last edited:

Hardensoul

I’ll probably give this couple episodes to see it it’ll be interesting but the trailers don’t look good.

Still waiting on release date of new season of Kingdom, that is a really great Zombie show.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Man, Netflix is going to go all in on Korean dramas after the Squid Game, won't they?

Squid Game wasnt even their first big Korean show. Theres so much better stuff out there and while Squid Game was good it only exploded due to memes and ppl just hyping it. The korean market has so much good shit that I actually stopped watching new western shit and atm the korean part is not influenced by netflix woke decisions.

Hardensoul

Netflix introduced me to the Vengeance series (Old boy, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Lady Vengeance) and Man from Nowhere one of the best action films I’ve ever seen.

Korean Series that I saw on Netflix - older release around or before 2010
Chuno: Slave Hunters (Jang Hyuk of Volcano high)
Gu Family book
Coffee Prince (Gong Yoo - Train to Busan)
You are Beautiful
You are my Destiny (Jang Hyuk in RomCom)
Boys over Flowers - guilty pleasure for me

Movie currently on Netflix to check out is Forgotten, I can’t tell you what it’s about cause it may give the plot away.

I'll probably check it out.

don't get all the hype behind Train to Busan. ended up watching it and was extremely disappointed given how much everyone hyped it. it's a decent zombie movie I guess?

Bombolone

Gold Member
High school setting....skip.

Hopefully Kingdom Season 3 come out this years.
same.
saw it on netflix today. read the synopsis.
Highschool.
perpetual high-schoolers.

I get it, being young and in high-school was funzies.
It feels overdone at this point.

Maybe a more mature setting allowing for more complex characters, environments and stories.
Maybe its a budget thing. One location. Characters that have no real accomplishments/responsibilities outside of the school bubble.
Maybe I'm just fuckin old...:messenger_unamused:...

:messenger_pensive:

Hardensoul

Everyone that loves Lee You-Mi in Squid Game will really dislike here character here! Lol

So far it’s seems to not just be about the High School, 3 episodes in they are still fleshing out the side characters outside the School! Lots of well known supporting character actors too!

Last edited:

Hardensoul

So is this good?
I just finish 6 episodes, I’m enjoying it so far. The show is more dramatic than horror.

The acting is good so far, sure there were annoying ones but they don’t overshadow the good.

Things I noticed with the recent Korean Zombies, there’s always a twist to make them different. This is one of them.

Try episode 1-2 to see. Episode 1 is setup, it’ll be slow!

Javthusiast

Banned
While on the topic of zombies and school, I wish Highschool of the Dead manga and anime were finished. Madhouse did some good shit back then. Too bad the brother of the artist died, who was the writer of the manga, so it never is gonna be finished.

Now back to this series, I am excited. Korean shows and movies are my drug. Hell, I am even hooked on the romance kdramas and shit. xD

Hardensoul

While on the topic of zombies and school, I wish Highschool of the Dead manga and anime were finished. Madhouse did some good shit back then. Too bad the brother of the artist died, who was the writer of the manga, so it never is gonna be finished.

Now back to this series, I am excited. Korean shows and movies are my drug. Hell, I am even hooked on the romance kdramas and shit. xD
Same, I’ve caught the Kdrama bug again. It’s almost 2am here, gotta force myself to stop watching and go to sleep cause I got to work in 6hrs lol

I don't have much to say about this other than the English title is quietly genius. "________ of the Dead" is a classic cliche title in the zombie genre.

levyjl1988

Banned
I binged watched this straight for 12 hours. Really good.
The quality is top notch and better production values than a lot of western zombie stuff.
Even better than the recent Resident Evil movie.

The western market will eventually lose because Korean dramas aren’t affected by woke culture.

Hardensoul

The quality is top notch and better production values than a lot of western zombie stuff.

The western market will eventually lose because Korean dramas aren’t affected by woke culture.
How did you react to episode 4, that’s something I’ve never seen! They did say they were going for realism! What’s more real when you need go do your business! Lol

levyjl1988

Banned
How did you react to episode 4, that’s something I’ve never seen! They did say they were going for realism! What’s more real when you need go do your business! Lol
It was a breath of fresh air, figuratively speaking, we don't often hear those mentioned in typical survival horrors at all. It's always glossed over which often deviates from the reality and immersion of most survival horrors.
When I watched Jurassic Park, there was a toilet involved and I was immersed. People need to shit.
When the scene showed in Cast Away where the dental thing was foreshadowed and paid off it made logical sense and added immersion.
I mean South Park has more immersion than say Pokemon. In Pokemon games, there are houses with no bedrooms and washrooms and my immersion just fell off.
When I saw Matt Reeves new The Batman trailer where Batman added black eyeliner it made logical sense or when Joker has white paint on his hands because he applied his own makeup, that made sense.
In Saving Private Ryan where the medic was shot in his water canister that leaked water from it then blood and then the medic reacting to how he got shot himself, that fine overlooked attention to detail, it's what matters.
It's all about the little and obvious logical points that made sense. Discussing how one will go to the washroom adds immersion.

Hardensoul

It was a breath of fresh air, figuratively speaking, we don't often hear those mentioned in typical survival horrors at all. It's always glossed over which often deviates from the reality and immersion of most survival horrors.
When I watched Jurassic Park, there was a toilet involved and I was immersed. People need to shit.
When the scene showed in Cast Away where the dental thing was foreshadowed and paid off it made logical sense and added immersion.
I mean South Park has more immersion than say Pokemon. In Pokemon games, there are houses with no bedrooms and washrooms and my immersion just fell off.
When I saw Matt Reeves new The Batman trailer where Batman added black eyeliner it made logical sense or when Joker has white paint on his hands because he applied his own makeup, that made sense.
In Saving Private Ryan where the medic was shot in his water canister that leaked water from it then blood and then the medic reacting to how he got shot himself, that fine overlooked attention to detail, it's what matters.
It's all about the little and obvious logical points that made sense. Discussing how one will go to the washroom adds immersion.
WoW you remembered all those scenes, it’s been like 20yrs since I’ve seen some of those films.

Definitely immersive to have those seems, that’s the thing I notice watching Korean movies and dramas they have those scenes.

I enjoy genres of cinema but when when it comes to realistic situations I rather they have those scenes rather brief or long. To me it feels grounded and believable.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
One more episode to go. This shit is really damn good.

Episodes 9-11 were fucking fantastic. Wow

Even in Hollywood, there are very quiet voices that are concerned that the increasingly overdone wokeness is going to ruin their business when people just stop consuming their content.

levyjl1988

Banned
If they don't go woke then we get successful movies like Spider-Man No Way Home, the more woke they get we get shitty movies like Captain Marvel and Eternals.
If they want to represent women correctly then make good films like Aliens and Ghostbusters Afterlife where the female protagonist is actually smart and competent.
When we have women represent for the sake that they are female then we get atrocities like Star Wars The Force Awakens and Ghostbusters (2016). The story is second to their forced message.

zYmUj5j.jpg

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
FInally done with it. I think the first half was really great but the second half it just became stupid/repetitive and it fell under the same zombie media mistakes we keep seing over and over and over, aka ppl doing dumb shit that no one ever would, and
getting killed for lul reasons
and yes the worse offender was this

I want to throw that bitch with the red hairs out of a balcony...

No one would ever do such a dumb ass shit like this and even tho she was seen she did nothing to stop it. It was ridiculous and it pissed me off.

Anyway 7.5 is the best I can give because it had a good atmosphere, set up, good acting but everything else was meh. I should watch Kingdom.

GymWolf

FInally done with it. I think the first half was really great but the second half it just became stupid/repetitive and it fell under the same zombie media mistakes we keep seing over and over and over, aka ppl doing dumb shit that no one ever would, and
getting killed for lul reasons
and yes the worse offender was this

No one would ever do such a dumb ass shit like this and even tho she was seen she did nothing to stop it. It was ridiculous and it pissed me off.

Anyway 7.5 is the best I can give because it had a good atmosphere, set up, good acting but everything else was meh. I should watch Kingdom.
Dude i'm only at episode 2, don't know what are you talking about.

For now she is just acting like an annoying cunt.

Last edited:

GymWolf

oh sorry. I didnt think anyone had a reason to dislike her until they actually do. I guess you'll see why it's stupid af soon.
I'm sorry?? No reason to hate her?? The bitch is unsufferable and everyone hates her since half of the second episode basically...

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I'm sorry?? No reason to hate her?? The bitch is unsufferable and everyone hates her since half of the second episode basically...

Eh she was the stereotypical annoying character that has some good points but exagerates them or just annoys ppl, but also kinda cute so didnt rly get bothered by her that much until well yeah.

Erebus

I'm only halfway through but fully enjoying it so far besides its shortcomings. At least it's more entertaining than Walking Dead ever was.

Boss Mog

It's #1 in my region but zombies aren't my thing so I'll pass.

It's funny to see Lee Yoo-Mi as a high-school student even though she's 27. Koreans really have some youthful genes. I actually saw a 35 year-old actress play a high-school student in a Korean drama once and a 40 year old actress play a college student in another and they didn't really seem out of place either. I also remember back in 2020 Taeyeon posted some pics of her trying on her old high-school uniforms when she was visiting her family home, not only did they still fit her but she could totally pass for a student even though she was 31 at the time.

As somebody who's been watching Korean dramas and movies for a long time (I had Korean roommates in college, they got me into K-culture) I have pretty mixed feelings about their new found popularity and services like Netflix and Disney+ investing heavily in them. On the one side I feel validated for being a long time fan but on the other hand I just know those woke companies and twitter degenerates are quickly going to ruin it. I've already seen it happen with a number of Netflix produced K-dramas, with "Itaewon Class" being a prime offender in my book. Hopefully Koreans will step up to protect their culture and beliefs but I fear it's only a matter of time before their hallyu wave gets crushed by our woke wave.

Hardensoul

It's #1 in my region but zombies aren't my thing so I'll pass.

It's funny to see Lee Yoo-Mi as a high-school student even though she's 27. Koreans really have some youthful genes. I actually saw a 35 year-old actress play a high-school student in a Korean drama once and a 40 year old actress play a college student in another and they didn't really seem out of place either. I also remember back in 2020 Taeyeon posted some pics of her trying on her old high-school uniforms when she was visiting her family home, not only did they still fit her but she could totally pass for a student even though she was 31 at the time.

As somebody who's been watching Korean dramas and movies for a long time (I had Korean roommates in college, they got me into K-culture) I have pretty mixed feelings about their new found popularity and services like Netflix and Disney+ investing heavily in them. On the one side I feel validated for being a long time fan but on the other hand I just know those woke companies and twitter degenerates are quickly going to ruin it. I've already seen it happen with a number of Netflix produced K-dramas, with "Itaewon Class" being a prime offender in my book. Hopefully Koreans will step up to protect their culture and beliefs but I fear it's only a matter of time before their hallyu wave gets crushed by our woke wave.
Itaewan Class pissed me off so much but not because of the woke. From episode 8 or was it episode 10, no spoiling. It just the tone changed but I couldn’t finish it for long time. Went back cause I liked both lead actors. I still couldn’t really finish I used the fast coward to see how it ended.ugh

Boss Mog

Itaewan Class pissed me off so much but not because of the woke. From episode 8 or was it episode 10, no spoiling. It just the tone changed but I couldn’t finish it for long time. Went back cause I liked both lead actors. I still couldn’t really finish I used the fast coward to see how it ended.ugh
The first two episodes of Itaewon Class were good, especially the first one, it made me really excited for an awesome revenge story but the more it went on and the worse it got and by the midpoint I was kinda forcing myself to watch it. Netflix managed to take a revenge story and make it about black victimhood (in Korea :pie_eyeroll:), trans victimhood and sociopath victimhood. But the woke stuff wasn't the worst part for me it was the fact that he chose to be with the sociopath in the end rather than the love of his life who was waiting to be "saved" and whisked away by him the whole show. And no offense to Kim Da-Mi but Kwon Na-Ra is way hotter to boot.

C7PObovV4AA23IN.jpg

Top Bottom